Bengals Training Camp and Pre-season Thread -News and Obs - 2023

1 hour ago, membengal said:

Not too bad a wait at all. Hopefully a few days before the team reports they get the contract with #9 done. Beyond that, hoping for very little news - no news is usually good news for the next five weeks until camp is here...

DJ  Reader has gout in his toe..

Can be painful..

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Griever said:

I notice some teams have rookies and vets report on the same day, others have the rookies come in early. 

Would someone like Jake Browning qualify as a rookie? He has earned a salary from the Bengals, but has still never played in a regular season game. Would be nice to have a QB throwing to the WRs and handing off to Chase Brown until Burrow and Siemian report.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, dex said:

I notice some teams have rookies and vets report on the same day, others have the rookies come in early. 

Would someone like Jake Browning qualify as a rookie? He has earned a salary from the Bengals, but has still never played in a regular season game. Would be nice to have a QB throwing to the WRs and handing off to Chase Brown until Burrow and Siemian report.

dex, if I remember right from last year, the QBs do come in with the rookies - Burrow was there if memory serves when the rookies reported and had their first workout day - and was healthy -and it was between that and the rest of the team reporting that the appendix issue arose. I may be wrong, but that is my memory. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, membengal said:

dex, if I remember right from last year, the QBs do come in with the rookies - Burrow was there if memory serves when the rookies reported and had their first workout day - and was healthy -and it was between that and the rest of the team reporting that the appendix issue arose. I may be wrong, but that is my memory. 

You might be right. Just looked it up, the only thing I can find is that Burrow had his surgery on the first official day of training camp for vets.

At the time, Joe Burrow’s appendectomy July 26 sounded like a routine procedure. But instead of his appendix being merely inflamed, the quarterback’s appendix had ruptured.

Burrow revealed that Wednesday during his first news conference since the surgery, which came on the day Bengals veterans reported to training camp.

25 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

It’s a big deal for Burrow to finally get a normal training camp after his first 3 seasons.  Crazy that it hasn’t happened to this point in his career.  

The only starting QB in the league to never have a normal offseason. I thought that was going to change last year, only to have the ruptured appendix surgery come out of nowhere. It was never stated how many pounds he lost during his recovery, but if you look at him closely during that first press conference it had to be 20 pounds at least. A young athlete at the top of his game had to get around via a golf cart for weeks. It was a very serious setback that definitely impacted the first few games of the regular season.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, dex said:

The only starting QB in the league to never have a normal offseason. I thought that was going to change last year, only to have the ruptured appendix surgery come out of nowhere. It was never stated how many pounds he lost during his recovery, but if you look at him closely during that first press conference it had to be 20 pounds at least. A young athlete at the top of his game had to get around via a golf cart for weeks. It was a very serious setback that definitely impacted the first few games of the regular season.

It was absolutely brutal to have that happen. I remember after he was released from the hospital, he was grimacing even shifting his body around in a golf cart as he watched practice. Here's hoping for a normal TC for once.

• Upvote 1

On 6/29/2023 at 4:57 PM, Griever said:

It was absolutely brutal to have that happen. I remember after he was released from the hospital, he was grimacing even shifting his body around in a golf cart as he watched practice. Here's hoping for a normal TC for once.

Total speculation on my part but I have to wonder if getting sacked eleventyhundred times the year before might have had anything to do with a 25 year old in peak physical condition having a ruptured appendix. I feel confident in saying it surely didn't help.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, membengal said:

Orlando Brown has been a delight since he signed and stuff like this is just fun-

Could not agree more about the delight since signing part.

Not only is he like an extra high first round draft pick

but he has blended and fit right in with the team and community immediately and seamlessly

and a witty, intelligent breath of fresh air to the team culture.

Has been so since Day One. 

• Like 2