Bengals Training Camp and Pre-season Thread -News and Obs - 2023

1 hour ago, dex said:

I don't know how many picks you want devoted to the OL

Enough to not have the season go down the tubes as soon as one gets hurt.  If they suck at drafting OL, hire someone that doesn't.  Not throw up their hands and give up drafting them, WTF?

I don't know how many draft picks you want devoted to WR.

1 hour ago, BlackJesus said:

... Tee shouldn't take part in any live contact until he has a new deal

The entire team should be forklifted to the field in shockproof crates on game days, then immediately encased back in foam when the game ends. Outside of that they should be stored in a secure, climate-controlled facility and only disturbed for routine cleaning.

:ninja:

8 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

The entire team should be forklifted to the field in shockproof crates

Don't give me ideas.  :No Ninja:

But actually my Tee comment is less about preserving health and more about the fact that he's earned a new deal and is owed a bonus 10x his career earnings thus far. So I would hate for him to jeopardize that.

Plus I want him to use his leverage to force the front office's hand, as I believe him, Burrow, and Chase are the indispensable pieces to the dynasty that's forming. 

23 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Don't give me ideas.  :No Ninja:

But actually my Tee comment is less about preserving health and more about the fact that he's earned a new deal and is owed a bonus 10x his career earnings thus far. So I would hate for him to jeopardize that.

Plus I want him to use his leverage to force the front office's hand, as I believe him, Burrow, and Chase are the indispensable pieces to the dynasty that's forming. 

Nah, jokes aside I get it, I hope they manage to work something out.  I still worry about having that % of the cap tied up in QB & WR with all the other contracts about to expire but they've done a good job juggling it so far.  

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Enough to not have the season go down the tubes as soon as one gets hurt.  If they suck at drafting OL, hire someone that doesn't.  Not throw up their hands and give up drafting them, WTF?

I don't know how many draft picks you want devoted to WR.

They absolutely needed to draft WRs this year, just like they needed to draft a RB and a punter and even the TE that didn't fall to them. Boyd was having a monster game against Chiefs before he wen down with an injury, and then none of the backups stepped up when they were needed the most. The backup OL contributed to the AFCCG loss, yes...but so did the backup WRs, so did the punter who was backup quality. Only so many draft picks so you have to go BPA unless you want to reach.

They were able to draft Burrow a very few short years ago because they were the absolute worst team in football. That seems like a lifetime ago now. I remember being thoroughly disgusted with the coaching staff and the front office then. But now? Not so much. They have earned my trust. That's what a whole lot of winning will do.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dex said:

They absolutely needed to draft WRs this year, just like they needed to draft a RB and a punter and even the TE that didn't fall to them. Boyd was having a monster game against Chiefs before he wen down with an injury, and then none of the backups stepped up when they were needed the most. The backup OL contributed to the AFCCG loss, yes...but so did the backup WRs, so did the punter who was backup quality. Only so many draft picks so you have to go BPA unless you want to reach.

They were able to draft Burrow a very few short years ago because they were the absolute worst team in football. That seems like a lifetime ago now. I remember being thoroughly disgusted with the coaching staff and the front office then. But now? Not so much. They have earned my trust. That's what a whole lot of winning will do.

Hey if you think they needed a 4th WR more than a 6th OL..  :shrug:  I'm sure Jackson Carman will be happy to keep getting paid.

12 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Hey if you think they needed a 4th WR more than a 6th OL..  :shrug:  I'm sure Jackson Carman will be happy to keep getting paid.

Maybe they should have drafted a backup QB over anything else. The drop off from Burrow to (fill in the blank) is STEEP.

7 minutes ago, dex said:

Maybe they should have drafted a backup QB over anything else. The drop off from Burrow to (fill in the blank) is STEEP.

Maybe so, there's too much other talent on this team to just give up if JB has to miss a couple of games at some point.

Of course I think it's a little easier to draft another potential Cordell Volson than it is another Burrow, far as that goes & not to take anything away from the former.

12 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Maybe so, there's too much other talent on this team to just give up if JB has to miss a couple of games at some point.

Of course I think it's a little easier to draft another potential Cordell Volson than it is another Burrow, far as that goes & not to take anything away from the former.

They’ve had a bunch of missteps drafting OL dating back to the Marvin era.  Volson looks promising, but less so for Jonah, Adeninji, Hill, or Carman.  D’ante Smith was a 4th round pick three years ago and we still have no idea if he can play.  I think it’s becoming more difficult to evaluate OL with the rise of the spread offense in college football.  It’s hit or miss across the league and banking on any rookie to be an immediate contributor is not a wise move.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

if JB has to miss a couple of games at some point.

The best I think the team could hope for without Burrow would be .500 ... Which might be possible depending on the opponents.

For instance, I think they can likely win week 1 without Burrow (Clowns) but am much less confident for week 2 against the Ravens. 

On 8/8/2023 at 7:46 PM, BlackJesus said:

Consider this ... Burrow wears an orange jersey in camp and practice because you don't want him taking unnecessary hits. That's the rationale behind it. 

So if you don't trust your own players to hit Burrow in practice (and they would have no malice and be extra cautious), why in the hell would you trust a player from another team to hit him in a practice just because the owners sell tickets to it (i.e. preseason games)?

Thars right..

• Like 1