Taylor Lewan blames Zac Taylor, not Joe Burrow, for Bengals’ struggles

Chris Roling
Mon, Oct 2, 2023, 10:30 PM CDT·1 min read

48fc181372135e58caefbaac913846b3

Outside of the Cincinnati Bengals, there is a lot of finger-pointing going on related to the 1-3 start.

Criticisms of head coach Zac Taylor and the coaching staff are prominent, both for actual gameplans and offensive scheme as well as for trotting an injured Joe Burrow out there in the first place.

Count former NFL lineman Taylor Lewan as one pointing the finger at Taylor, something he explained during a sitdown with Kay Adams.

“I think it’s the play-calling,” Lewan said. “If you watch the Titans game, they ran the ball effectively and they could have done that the entire game if they wanted to…If Joe’s not 100 percent, take it out of his hands.”

With the season at 1-3, questions about the Bengals will only intensify over the course of the two games left before the bye week. But Lewan isn’t alone in wanting to see the coaching staff not struggle with such a talented cast of weapons.

Adams brings up a good point at the end too — what does it say about the Bengals and Taylor if they can’t beat the struggling Arizona Cardinals without Burrow next week?

For his part, while announcing Burrow will play in Week 5 against the Cardinals, Taylor was adamant the play-calling needs to be better, too.

https://sports.yahoo.com/taylor-lewan-blames-zac-taylor-033004357.html

• Upvote 1

Nah, can’t be a scheme issue. Sure Taylor Lewan, an ex-NFL player, may suggest such things but posters on G-B.com say it’s not a scheme issue so I’m not sure I can trust my own eyes or ex NFL players when that’s the case. 

90% coaching, 10% players. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The fact that Joe Mixon has yet to have 20 carries in a game is ridiculous and the only game where he had more than 15 was the only win of the season. This constant desire to pass the ball when it's clearly not working is dumbfounding, especially when running the ball is working. When you have a RB avg 4 ypc you could in theory run the ball 3 straight times and get a first down, I don't think the Bengals have called 3 straight run plays all season, but they are determined to dink and dunk it with a hobbled QB...make it make sense. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On 10/3/2023 at 11:25 AM, PatternMaster said:

The fact that Joe Mixon has yet to have 20 carries in a game is ridiculous and the only game where he had more than 15 was the only win of the season. This constant desire to pass the ball when it's clearly not working is dumbfounding, especially when running the ball is working. When you have a RB avg 4 ypc you could in theory run the ball 3 straight times and get a first down, I don't think the Bengals have called 3 straight run plays all season, but they are determined to dink and dunk it with a hobbled QB...make it make sense. 

I makes no sense tot me either.

Who’s TJ Houshmandzadeh anyways? These ex players think they know what they’re talking about but are they aware of this board? Some incredibly insightful football minds on here continue to insist this is only about a calf and not about a coach. Who am I to trust? I mean, they’re ex NFLers for a reason. If they were so smart they would still be playing. 

• Upvote 4

It’s the power of the electronic mind meld. Get a fool in a tank top to start saying a narrative…then add in “ex-NFL some position somebody”…and you are on your way towards convincing an audience that what is said, is so. 

Despite the fact that exactly the opposite was blathered by the same yakking grackles 4 weeks ago.