Taylor: Bengals still with a lot to play for even as post-season out of reach

11 minutes ago, Homer_Rice said:

My super-duper double-secret insider tells me that Taylor has already given up on the season and is planning to focus on draft picks. Thus, they are going to deliberately lose this week. Apparently, playing the back-end of our roster will ensure a loss because those guys don't care about competition, winning, or any of that other stuff that makes a person dedicate insane hours of hard work to becoming part of an elite. Furthermore, Taylor has hinted that if the Bengals don't get what he considers to be a boffo slot in the draft, he will consider trading injury-prone players for draft picks, including Burrow, Chase, and Higgins. His philosophy: "You can never have enough draft picks."

See, you get the plan.  Draft an OROY OT in round 1, a DROY DT in round 2 and everything will be fine.  It's so simple.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

See, you get the plan.  Draft an OROY OT in round 1, a DROY DT in round 2 and everything will be fine.  It's so simple.

Nobody thinks it's simple, but we have to come to the realization that we're not likely signing good FAs anymore now that they paid Joe, and that makes the draft that much more important. 

I very well could be wrong and the Bengals could buck their history on this, but do we believe they will? 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Nobody thinks it's simple, but we have to come to the realization that we're not likely signing good FAs anymore now that they paid Joe, and that makes the draft that much more important. 

I very well could be wrong and the Bengals could buck their history on this, but do we believe they will? 

To an extent.

They could sign a vet NT .

Not Reader type but a big body to take on doubles.

More inclined to believe they'll hope for NT in later rounds unless Sweat is there in rd 2 only after grabbing a RT.

Sweat will be gone before they draft in rd3 imo.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

To an extent.

They could sign a vet NT .

More inclined to believe they'll hope for NT in later rounds unless Sweat is there in rd 2 only after grabbing a RT.

Sweat will be gone before they draft in rd3 imo.

Honestly I would mix it and get a FA big body AND draft a guy later. We don't have much in the way of depth

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

What did you really know about Reader when we signed him? 

I seem to remember a collective “who the f?” on this board when the signing took place. 

4 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I think overall they do the smart thing, backfill the roster with FA's and try to draft playmakers.  It's just the OL specifically where they haven't been good at that.

FWIW I'm also coming around to the idea that a lot of the OL problems are scheme.   They look for excuses to abandon the run & now they lack the 3rd down type they've leaned on so heavily instead.  They're scared to lose a yard on a hand-off but we don't have a Perine etc playmaker, then they let a guy that won't block estay RB1.. making Sheisty a sitting duck back there.  What next, line him up like a punter and ask him to throw 20 yard check-downs?

Goes back to lack of accountability.  Guy sucks at drafting OL? Just stop drafting them.  Guy won't block for your $250M franchise QB and spends the offseason flirting with weapons charges? S'ok, he smiles a lot. Go ahead and demand a trade after you wash out as a starter, we owe you $13M so we'll let you start at a different position you're completely unsuited for instead.

This franchise lacks that "..Or Else" bottom line and everyone in the building knows it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I think overall they do the smart thing, backfill the roster with FA's and try to draft playmakers.  It's just the OL specifically where they haven't been good at that.

FWIW I'm also coming around to the idea that a lot of the OL problems are scheme.   They look for excuses to abandon the run & now they lack the 3rd down type they've leaned on so heavily instead.  They're scared to lose a yard on a hand-off but we don't have a Perine etc playmaker, then they let a guy that won't block estay RB1.. making Sheisty a sitting duck back there.  What next, line him up like a punter and ask him to throw 20 yard check-downs?

Goes back to lack of accountability.  Guy sucks at drafting OL? Just stop drafting them.  Guy won't block for your $250M franchise QB and spends the offseason flirting with weapons charges? S'ok, he smiles a lot. Go ahead and demand a trade after you wash out as a starter, we owe you $13M so we'll let you start at a different position you're completely unsuited for instead.

This franchise lacks that "..Or Else" bottom line and everyone in the building knows it.

I've been pounding the drum that a lot of it is the under QB vs spread stuff. When you run spread your linemen are more on an island than when you run under center, so I agree that a lot of it is scheme. That said I still think Jonah is very average and in this division with Garett and Watt (and the Ravens having the most sacks in the league) you need to be a bit better than average. I was on the train that said Jonah is showing up at RT, and then in both Steelers games, I saw Watt just abuse him. I get that any draft pick might be a risk there, but it's a risk I'm willing to take. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

He was the consensus number 1 C. I know the team gets alot of flack for who they take sometimes, but there is no way they take Price over Ragnow if both are still on the board.

I mentioned that the Bengals traded DOWN from 12 to 21 that draft (for extra picks in the 2nd and 3rd round—which turned into Hubbard and Bates). 

Had Ragnow been their main target—why leave the 12 spot? They took a chance (crapshoot) he would still be there at 21. He wasn’t. It didn’t have a damn thing to do with how many “meaningless” games they won or lost. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Homer_Rice said:

My super-duper double-secret insider tells me that Taylor has already given up on the season and is planning to focus on draft picks. Thus, they are going to deliberately lose this week. Apparently, playing the back-end of our roster will ensure a loss because those guys don't care about competition, winning, or any of that other stuff that makes a person dedicate insane hours of hard work to becoming part of an elite. Furthermore, Taylor has hinted that if the Bengals don't get what he considers to be a boffo slot in the draft, he will consider trading injury-prone players for draft picks, including Burrow, Chase, and Higgins. His philosophy: "You can never have enough draft picks."

image.gif.aa96092f753791b6cd32ffe218df8dc0.gif

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I get that any draft pick might be a risk there, but it's a risk I'm willing to take. 

No "might" about it, counting on a future draft pick to be the starting RT sounds like another lost season.  They're going to need a Jonah-level replacement in case that draft pick isn't ready to start in the NFL (likely) or the one(s) they like don't fall to them (also happens) or the draft pick actually sucks (inconceivable).

• Upvote 2