Taylor: Bengals still with a lot to play for even as post-season out of reach

WLWT logo
Updated: 8:49 AM EST Jan 2, 2024
Infinite Scroll Enabled

CINCINNATI —

The mood inside the Cincinnati Bengals locker room this week, as the Wild Card race that has consumed the past month is no longer a subject of conversation.

Facing the Bengals this week is the question of how to get up to beat Cleveland Sunday to end the season?

For Zac Taylor and the team, the good news is that question usually answers itself: It's Cleveland. It's a division game. And a winning season is on the line.

Taylor says he's not worried about any notions about his team checking out this week ahead of the finale.

"The encouraging thing is you sit here and you're out of the playoff contention, obviously, but you think through the roster. And because everybody used to be worried about now, it's we got a roster of guys that I know we're going to put their best effort forth all week in practice and on the game," Taylor said. "And so we're gonna have a great plan. You know, it's we're doing everything we can to win this game."

"I don't think twice about it," said Cincinnati defensive end Sam Hubbard about his taking the field on Sunday. "You know, I came this far. I'm playing. I'm finishing the year strong. I wouldn't have it any other way. I don't want to leave my guys hanging."

Taylor did not rule out any starters form Sunday's game, but that could change as the week goes on.

One player it could especially change for is impending free agent Tee Higgins, who is once again battling a hamstring injury.

https://www.wlwt.com/article/cincinnati-bengals-zac-taylor-cleveland-browns-week-18/46264891

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Can I quote you if we win and miss out on a player because of it? Like when we lost Ragnow and had to take Price instead.

You know, don’t you, that they could lose and still miss out on that pick? And they could miss out, had they lost every game since November 16? 

Or, they might score big with either pick. That is what is called a crapshoot. 

That is what I mean: it will be alright. Please quote away! 🙂

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Le Tigre said:

You know, don’t you, that they could lose and still miss out on that pick? And they could miss out, had they lost every game since November 16? 

Or, they might score big with either pick. That is what is called a crapshoot. 

That is what I mean: it will be alright. Please quote away! 🙂

We're you happy with Billy Price or would you rather have Frank Ragnow? They play the exact same position and we took Price with the very next pick.

Of course one guy netted us a trade for BJ Hill, and the other is still the starting center for the playoff bound division winning Lions. 

And Price is out of the league now.

The draft being a crapshoot is a copout, more often than not the guys that were higher on boards panned out vs the guys lower on boards. 

And sometimes, as in the case of Ragnow vs Price, that even comes down to one draft slot.

I get that Zac is great at the "Camp Counselor" persona ... But I would rather he looked at this more with his brain than his heart. 

Next year's run to the SB starts right now... so he should make decisions with that in mind. 

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

I get that Zac is great at the "Camp Counselor" persona ... But I would rather he looked at this more with his brain than his heart. 

Next year's run to the SB starts right now ... so he should make decisions with that in mind. 

Completely agree. It's in New Orleans next year, Jamar and Joe are going to be extra motivated.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

We're you happy with Billy Price or would you rather have Frank Ragnow? They play the exact same position and we took Price with the very next pick.

Of course one guy netted us a trade for BJ Hill, and the other is still the starting center for the playoff bound division winning Lions. 

The draft being a crapshoot is a copout, more often than not the guys that were higher on boards panned out vs the guys lower on boards. 

And sometimes, as in the case of Ragnow vs Price, that even comes down to one draft slot.

You continue to bring up Ragnow/Price—one example of a win/loss. Did any of it have to do with tanking to get that pick? The Lions won 3 of their final 4 games. Their season was effectively over by November. The Bengals lost 3 of their last 4–including 1 to Detroit. Who tanked worse to get that absolutely essential 20th pick in the draft? 

Crapshoot a “cop-out”? Mayfield was the #1 overall that draft…Lamar Jackson the #32. There were hits and misses all through that draft. But maybe if the Bengals would have never bothered to play those meaningless 7 wins that year, they could not only have taken Ragnow—but Quentin Nelson too. Or maybe the same Lions, who wasted a 2nd round pick on Kerryon Johnson, would have done better if they tanked earlier.

I get your point— on paper, team should get better quality the closer they are to the bottom of the barrel. But you have been around long enough to know that there is never a “sure thing” in the draft. Way too many variables. And that is no cop out.

In answer to your first question though: I didn’t have any problems with Price when drafted. Guy was a rock-solid 4-year starter on many of the better lines THE had back then—including a National Championship line. Woulda-Shoulda says otherwise now…but he was not a projected nobody. Ragnow was the best pick for certain, but perhaps James Daniels (Pick 39) would have fared better. He’s still in the league and playing well. That isn’t the draft position, that’s the choice. 

It’s still going to be alright. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

You continue to bring up Ragnow/Price—one example of a win/loss. Did any of it have to do with tanking to get that pick? The Lions won 3 of their final 4 games. Their season was effectively over by November. The Bengals lost 3 of their last 4–including 1 to Detroit. Who tanked worse to get that absolutely essential 20th pick in the draft? 

Crapshoot a “cop-out”? Mayfield was the #1 overall that draft…Lamar Jackson the #32. There were hits and misses all through that draft. But maybe if the Bengals would have never bothered to play those meaningless 7 wins that year, they could not only have taken Ragnow—but Quentin Nelson too. Or maybe the same Lions, who wasted a 2nd round pick on Kerryon Johnson, would have done better if they tanked earlier.

I get your point— on paper, team should get better quality the closer they are to the bottom of the barrel. But you have been around long enough to know that there is never a “sure thing” in the draft. Way too many variables. And that is no cop out.

In answer to your first question though: I didn’t have any problems with Price when drafted. Guy was a rock-solid 4-year starter on many of the better lines THE had back then—including a National Championship line. Woulda-Shoulda says otherwise now…but he was not a projected nobody. Ragnow was the best pick for certain, but perhaps James Daniels (Pick 39) would have fared better. He’s still in the league and playing well. That isn’t the draft position, that’s the choice. 

It’s still going to be alright. 

I use that example because it was our pick, we had control over who we were taking, talking to me about how other teams draft isn't anything we control. Had we had one more slot higher I guarantee you we would not have chosen Price, there was a big fall off between the two.

37 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I use that example because it was our pick, we had control over who we were taking, talking to me about how other teams draft isn't anything we control. Had we had one more slot higher I guarantee you we would not have chosen Price, there was a big fall off between the two.

Likely—although, again, James Daniels and Price were the remaining true center types of first-round value. Who can say where they shoulda-coulda have been chosen? That’s for guys in tank tops on the telly to pontificate over. 

Also, there is the cool little maneuver called “trade”. If they were dying the death of winning too many games for the sake of drafting the irreplaceable Frank Ragnow, why not trade to move up as many places as necessary to guarantee he would be there? Happens all the time, right?

In any event, I will guarantee this—regardless of what happens Sunday—the Bengals will have an opportunity to draft one of the 32 best college football players in the nation in the 1st Round. Since everyone wins on Draft Day, said player will be hailed as a “massive pick!”. Then one finds out if it is so. Crapshoot. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Likely—although, again, James Daniels and Price were the remaining true center types of first-round value. Who can say where they shoulda-coulda have been chosen? That’s for guys in tank tops on the telly to pontificate over. 

Also, there is the cool little maneuver called “trade”. If they were dying the death of winning too many games for the sake of drafting the irreplaceable Frank Ragnow, why not trade to move up as many places as necessary to guarantee he would be there? Happens all the time, right?

In any event, I will guarantee this—regardless of what happens Sunday—the Bengals will have an opportunity to draft one of the 32 best college football players in the nation in the 1st Round. Since everyone wins on Draft Day, said player will be hailed as a “massive pick!”. Then one finds out if it is so. Crapshoot. 

The Bengals trade? What team are you a fan of again? 😆 

Also if the draft is such a crap shoot why bother drafting at all? Just trade away the picks for veteran proven players.

Because that's the difference now vs the year we drafted Joe. We were able to sign and spend money on guys because we weren't paying our QB.

There is a reason they call it a "window" because once you pay your QB it becomes hard to get quality FAs just because you don't have the same money you did before.

That is exactly why if you want to keep this "window" open, the draft becomes that much more important and draft position, when you get in the position to get a good one due to injury, and drafting well become paramount.

We paid Joe, we aren't going to be able to sign multiple quality FAs anymore. Maybe we get one per offseason, but most of the FAs we get now are going to be JAGs or rotational contribuers. We have to get things right in the draft more than we get them wrong going forward, otherwise the window is closed.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Also if the draft is such a crap shoot why bother drafting at all? Just trade away the picks for veteran proven players.

Because that's the difference now vs the year we drafted Joe. We were able to sign and spend money on guys because we weren't paying our QB.

There is a reason they call it a "window" because once you pay your QB it becomes hard to get quality FAs just because you don't have the same money you did before.

That is exactly why if you want to keep this "window" open, the draft becomes that much more important and draft position, when you get in the position to get a good one due to injury, and drafting well become paramount.

We paid Joe, we aren't going to be able to sign multiple quality FAs anymore. Maybe we get one per offseason, but most of the FAs we get now are going to be JAGs or rotational contribuers. We have to get things right in the draft more than we get them wrong going forward, otherwise the window is closed.

What is this "Quality Free Agents" of which you speak?

Right now free agency for the Bengals is as much a crap shoot as the draft.

Ref Irv Smurf, Nick Snot and situational OL penalty maker Cody Ford.

I, too, am a huge fan of trading up (and winning the lottery)

I would go for fewer more highly ranked quality players over a bunch of JAGoffs that do little more than fill the roster

and stand on the sidelines.

I believe we are the proverbial "few players away", specifically an OT, ORG and Interior D Lineman.

The exception to that would be if Bowers starts to slide which I doubt.

But the sitting pat in mehland draft wise and waiting for the manna from sleeper heaven to drop in our mouths is weak sauce.

P.S.  We're going to have to do something to get a good running back because Mixon will be another year older and not any better

or in jail.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Not that it matters, because he still sucks... but I thought Billy Price was on someone's PS now? Saw where La'El just got onto Dallas' squad. 

15 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Can I quote you if we win and miss out on a player because of it? Like when we lost Ragnow and had to take Price instead.

Are you 100% sure that the Bengals even had Ragnow ahead of Price on their big board?  Also, there are thousands of examples of the lower draft pick working out better than the higher draft pick, maybe just as many as vice-versa.  Tom Brady anyone?  Selectively quoting the past can result in conveniently making whatever point you want.

I still say the draft is a crap shoot, especially with the Bengals draft record.  If we were talking the #1 pick versus the #32 that would be different IMHO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Capital idea. 

The flip side is: why bother playing to win at all? Just lose out every year and always get the top of the draft selections. 

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

They have done it a few times over the years. May not have accomplished much, but they have. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Next year's run to the SB starts right now ... so he should make decisions with that in mind. 

It should be ingrained in his heart and brain that the only thing that matters is a Lombardi. The franchise is 56 years old. No Championships. The fanbase has seen everything else multiple times by now. Maniacal focus on a ring, moral victories be damned. It's not possible to prove or quantify, but petty trash talk on social media or in the press never seems to benefit us.  Just get pissed (to the right degree) when we get beat and/or play poorly, and focus entirely on fixing it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Capital idea. 

The flip side is: why bother playing to win at all? Just lose out every year and always get the top of the draft selections. 

They have done it a few times over the years. May not have accomplished much, but they have. 

It's a capital idea if you are a big market team and there is no salary cap, but it's not 1993 anymore, and we as a small market team should be thankful for that.

You only "tank" at the right moments, had Joe been playing all year I would not be suggesting this.

Ok I'll bite, when was the last time the Bengals made a 1st round trade to move up to get a guy they liked? I legitimately don't remember, was it Kijana Carter?

You are correct: the last trade up in the 1st Round was Ki-Jana. That was a swing-for-fence move, due to the drastic need for a top shelf RB. They have traded down a bit more though. 

I was thinking more of trading in subsequent rounds. 

Edit: they also moved up to take Zeitler. 

One other thing, as to the Price pick, the Bengals also moved DOWN from their original pick with BUF (changed from 16 to 21). So they actually could have taken Ragnow there, had they stayed. Probably a gamble that he would still be available. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, High School Harry said:

What is this "Quality Free Agents" of which you speak?

Right now free agency for the Bengals is as much a crap shoot as the draft.

Ref Irv Smurf, Nick Snot and situational OL penalty maker Cody Ford.

I, too, am a huge fan of trading up (and winning the lottery)

I would go for fewer more highly ranked quality players over a bunch of JAGoffs that do little more than fill the roster

and stand on the sidelines.

I believe we are the proverbial "few players away", specifically an OT, ORG and Interior D Lineman.

The exception to that would be if Bowers starts to slide which I doubt.

But the sitting pat in mehland draft wise and waiting for the manna from sleeper heaven to drop in our mouths is weak sauce.

P.S.  We're going to have to do something to get a good running back because Mixon will be another year older and not any better

or in jail.

DJ Reader, Vonn Bell, Cheedo all were free agents that we paid. The guys you mentioned are cheaper because we just paid Joe. Those are the JAGs we cam expect for most of our FAs going forward, but we will have some money to spend as guys like Boyd, Reader, Mixon (next year don't get exited) come off their contracts too.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

What makes you think they were going to take Ragnow instead?

41 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

What makes you think they were going to take Ragnow instead?

He was the consensus number 1 C. I know the team gets alot of flack for who they take sometimes, but there is no way they take Price over Ragnow if both are still on the board.

My super-duper double-secret insider tells me that Taylor has already given up on the season and is planning to focus on draft picks. Thus, they are going to deliberately lose this week. Apparently, playing the back-end of our roster will ensure a loss because those guys don't care about competition, winning, or any of that other stuff that makes a person dedicate insane hours of hard work to becoming part of an elite. Furthermore, Taylor has hinted that if the Bengals don't get what he considers to be a boffo slot in the draft, he will consider trading injury-prone players for draft picks, including Burrow, Chase, and Higgins. His philosophy: "You can never have enough draft picks."

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

He was the consensus number 1 C. I know the team gets alot of flack for who they take sometimes, but there is no way they take Price over Ragnow if both are still on the board.

:shrug:

How did they match up on condiment technique?

• Upvote 1