Thanks, Jake Browning, for making Bengals games fun to watch down the stretch | Opinion

Kevin S. Aldridge, Cincinnati Enquirer
Wed, January 10, 2024 at 4:49 PM CST·2 min read
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow wears a brace as he speaks to the media about his season ending wrist injury at Paycor Stadium Friday, November 17, 2023.

Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow wears a brace as he speaks to the media about his season ending wrist injury at Paycor Stadium Friday, November 17, 2023.

Like probably everybody else in the sports world, I resolved that my beloved Cincinnati Bengals' year had gone kaput when quarterback Joe Burrow went down with a season-ending wrist injury. Being a diehard Bengals fan, I still planned to watch every game, but my expectations – particularly dreams of winning a Super Bowl − were tempered for sure.

Enter: Jake Browning.

I knew very little about Browning beyond his performance during the preseason, which honestly didn't impress me much. In fact, you could've counted me among the Bengals contingent who thought the team needed to go out in search of a better backup quarterback at the start of the season, especially if Burrow was going to miss games with a strained calf. Boy was I wrong.

Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Jake Browning (6) walks for the locker room after the fourth quarter of the NFL Week 17 game between the Kansas City Chiefs and the Cincinnati Bengals at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Mo., on Sunday, Dec. 31, 2023. The Chiefs won 25-17 to clinch the AFC West Championship.

Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Jake Browning (6) walks for the locker room after the fourth quarter of the NFL Week 17 game between the Kansas City Chiefs and the Cincinnati Bengals at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Mo., on Sunday, Dec. 31, 2023. The Chiefs won 25-17 to clinch the AFC West Championship.More

The Bengals evidently knew they had something in Browning, who threw a record-setting 91 touchdown passes in high school in 2014 (229 in three seasons) and was a college standout with the Washington Huskies. He exceeded the expectations of perhaps everyone but himself, becoming one of the most captivating feel-good stories of the NFL's second half. Not to mention, he most likely earned himself some extra ching-a-ling somewhere down the road.

The Bengals didn't make the playoffs behind Browning, but he proved himself a winner (4-3 as a starter) and a starting-caliber NFL quarterback nonetheless. Certainly, Browning didn't do it alone. He was surrounded by some of the best offensive talent in the league and good coaches. Still, capable backups who can step in and win at the hardest position in the game of football aren't easy to come by. That's why Cincinnati's lucky to have Browning for however long that may be.

I'm bummed that I won't be watching my favorite team in the playoffs this weekend, competing for a Super Bowl. But I want to thank Jake Browning for making those remaining Bengals' games exciting and fun to watch and giving me a glimmer of hope until the end.

https://news.yahoo.com/thanks-jake-browning-making-bengals-224931929.html

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Because of the last game? They were putting a 2nd string Oline in front of him. Carman came in an started for goodness sake.

It wasn't the last game in mind.

I just don't like the idea of depending on him if needed.

We have a solid backup in Browning.

He's here and he's cap friendly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

And who would fill the backup spot in case JB goes down??

Anybody? Given the list of needs I'll take a couple of extra draft picks over a backup QB that maybe takes us from 6-11 to 9-8.  Assuming Pitcher stays I'd put him to work on some late round project & stick with a plan where Joe Burrow starts every game. 

Just now, T-Dub said:

Anybody? Given the list of needs I'll take a couple of extra draft picks over a backup QB that maybe takes us from 6-11 to 9-8.  Assuming Pitcher stays I'd put him to work on some late round project & stick with a plan where Joe Burrow starts every game. 

Risky imo.

I don't think teams will line up for Browning at all.

May get a 5th for him if lucky.

The QB unit is solid now.

Keep it that way imo.

Joe Burrow has done nothing to instill confidence that he can stay healthy for an entire season at this point. The only healthy off season this guy has had was this past one and that evaporated three practices in.

They have Browning for cheap and he’s shown he can keep the team afloat if needed. That’s more than they’ve been able to say for Brandon Allen/Ryan Finley during the Zac Taylor era.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

It wasn't the last game in mind.

I just don't like the idea of depending on him if needed.

We have a solid backup in Browning.

He's here and he's cap friendly.

And he's not the long term answer to QB2, if you can get a good pick for him, do it, he wont be here after the next season as he will likely want to get a chance to start somewhere, so reward both him and us for his play this year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JC said:

Joe Burrow has done nothing to instill confidence that he can stay healthy for an entire season at this point.

Do you think that has more to do with Burrow or could it maybe be not drafting an OL worth a shit for over a decade?

To put it another way, the plan is for JB to start every game.  This is not a Superbowl team without him, period & point blank.  Any plan that doesn't involve him is a waste of time.

5 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

You guys are telling me you wouldn't trade Jake Browning for an extra 2nd?

I'd do that every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

No one is giving up a 2nd round pick for a 28 year old Jake Browning. I can’t imagine a team that would give up even decent compensation outside of maybe where Callahan lands. Talking like maybe an early day 3 pick if he doesn’t end up with a team that has an established dude.

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

Do you think that has more to do with Burrow or could it maybe be not drafting an OL worth a shit for over a decade?

To put it another way, the plan is for JB to start every game.  This is not a Superbowl team without him, period & point blank.  Any plan that doesn't involve him is a waste of time.

I’m inclined to believe it’s Joe Burrow and the way Joe Burrow likes to play football. He isn’t afraid to sit in there the extra second and take a hit and he loves to get as many guys out in route as he possibly can. You could put the best five guys in the league in front of him and he would still get hit. It’s the reality of the Joe Burrow experience. He’s fearless to a fault. 

A lot of quarterbacks got hurt this year. Doesn’t have to be season ending. They’ve got a dude that can keep the team afloat for once.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JC said:

No one is giving up a 2nd round pick for a 28 year old Jake Browning. I can’t imagine a team that would give up even decent compensation outside of maybe where Callahan lands. Talking like maybe an early day 3 pick if he doesn’t end up with a team that has an established dude.

I’m inclined to believe it’s Joe Burrow and the way Joe Burrow likes to play football. He isn’t afraid to sit in there the extra second and take a hit and he loves to get as many guys out in route as he possibly can. You could put the best five guys in the league in front of him and he would still get hit. It’s the reality of the Joe Burrow experience. He’s fearless to a fault. 

A lot of quarterbacks got hurt this year. Doesn’t have to be season ending. They’ve got a dude that can keep the team afloat for once.

Yeah I DGAF about "afloat".  If a .500 season is the goal we should trade Burrow and make Browning the starter.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Yeah I DGAF about "afloat".  If a .500 season is the goal we should trade Burrow and make Browning the starter.

Me too. Screw this 9-8 stuff, I spent too many years watching Andy Dalton take us to those types of records. We have a franchise QB that can minimum get us to a SB if not win one. Getting as many pieces around him should be the goal.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Me too. Screw this 9-8 stuff, I spent too many years watching Andy Dalton take us to those types of records. We have a franchise QB that can minimum get us to a SB if not win one. Getting as many pieces around him should be the goal.

Yeah I am bewildered by this "he keeps getting hurt because our OL sucks ass so lets double down on his backup" reasoning.  Just straight giving up like.. Huh? it's like wearing slippers everywhere because you never learned to tie your shoes. Really though? Jake Browning? What happens next year when he's a FA, do we franchise tag the backup QB? :Concentrated-min:

10 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Yeah I am bewildered by this "he keeps getting hurt because our OL sucks ass so lets double down on his backup" reasoning.  Just straight giving up like.. Huh? it's like wearing slippers everywhere because you never learned to tie your shoes. Really though? Jake Browning? What happens next year when he's a FA, do we franchise tag the backup QB? :Concentrated-min:

Must be wearing those Nike Air Burrow's

Nike Burrow Men's Slippers. Nike.com