A year later, Wilkerson poised

[quote]A year later, Wilkerson poised
By GEOFF HOBSON
May 3, 2006

Posted: 4:25 p.m.

Wilkerson: Tiger reunion (Bengals photo)
Just like old times for Bengals center Ben Wilkerson.

Not only will he be back on the field when the coaching sessions start later this month, but he’ll be joined by three former LSU teammates who played with him on the line.

Joining LSU left tackle Andrew Whitworth, the Bengals second-round pick, are free agents Nate Livings, a guard-tackle, and tight end David Jones, according to published reports.

Livings was Wilkerson’s roommate for two years and Jones was his roommate when he first arrived in Baton Rouge, La.

“Good guys and hard workers,” Wilkerson said Wednesday. “I don’t have any roommate stories or anything like that. Just a bunch of guys that play hard.”

Part of the reason for the Bengals’ interest in Tigers is the professionalism displayed by Wilkerson in the year he has spent here rehabbing a severe knee injury that took him off the 2005 draft board. Plus, there is high regard for former LSU head coach Nick Saban, now coaching the Dolphins.

Certainly the 6-7, 335-pound Whitworth arrives with rave reviews. At one point, he and Livings were Wilkerson’s tackles as the Tigers made a run to the 2003 national title.

“Wait until you see him,” Wilkerson said. “He’s a mountain. His back is as big as the doorway. A great leader, too. He’s so big, you look at him and you think he stays to himself. But he’s real vocal and likes to joke around.”

Wilkerson says the Bengals are getting a versatile type in the 6-4, 260-pound Jones at tight end. Jones is a 4.8-second 40 guy, but has a lot of experience.

“We didn’t use him as much as I think we could have in the passing game,” Wilkerson said. “But we used him all over. Fullback. Wingback. Tight end. And he’s got good hands. He can catch.”

No matter what college free agent the Bengals sign (their list is expected Thursday), none of them will be as scrutinized as Wilkerson this spring.

Wilkerson ended up as a CFA last year because of the tear of his patella tendon in the Oct. 30, 2004 game against Vanderbilt. At that point, he was one of the nation’s top centers and was talked about as a first-day pick.

He spent most of his time on injured lists last year with the Bengals, and the only practice he saw was during a three-week window in November. Even though he wasn’t quite ready, he flashed some of that strength and quickness he had before the injury.

“Mentally and physically, I was still kind of shaky,” Wilkerson said. “I didn’t want anything else to happen to it, but once I got going, it got better. There are no limitations. No holdups.”

It will be interesting to see where Wilkerson plays in relation to Eric Ghiaciuc, the fourth-round pick from last year who played well in the one start he made in 2005 in place of Rich Braham. Both guys are going to get work at guard as well as center.

“That was tough this last year sitting it out,” Wilkerson. “But it was good for me learn it from the side. I’m anxious to get out there.”

Wilkerson is an outgoing guy, too.

A group of Bengals got front-row seats at Tuesday night’s pro wrestling show at U.S. Bank Arena. Word is that Wilkerson chattered all night at Mark Henry, he of the World’s Strongest Slam, and it ended up with Henry throwing around some chairs and Wilkerson getting in his face, according to witnesses.

All in fun. Apparently.[/quote]

Good news!

Guest WhoDeyForever

[quote name='lslmustang' post='262787' date='May 3 2006, 05:14 PM']Good news![/quote]
Good Article. Bengals were at smackdown? it airs tomorrow watch it on UPN...you might see some Bengals :D

If Wilkerson is back to 90-95% of what he was his last year and a half at LSU, he's the favorite to beat out Ghiaciuc to replace Braham. Either one should be above average, but Wilkerson, at least while he was at LSU, was a dominant player, especially in the running game. Extremely quick off the snap and able to get to the "second level" better than most NFL starters. A great leader, too.

Guest Claptonrocks
[quote name='Jason' post='262810' date='May 3 2006, 05:53 PM'][img]http://assets.bengals.com/assets/homepage/2583.jpg[/img]

He looks small at 6'4" 305. Looks like he could EASILY gain another 20 pounds. if not more.[/quote]
I thought the same thing... looks more like a linebacker...I wonder if he really does weight 305..
Most of our linemen have those big thick necks and traps... ..his looks like a pencil compared to theirs...

Guest ThurmanMunster
[quote name='Jason' post='262810' date='May 3 2006, 05:53 PM'][img]http://assets.bengals.com/assets/homepage/2583.jpg[/img]

He looks small at 6'4" 305. Looks like he could EASILY gain another 20 pounds. if not more.[/quote]

he looks like a badass mother fucker

Guest IndianaBengal

[size=4][color="#3333FF"]Tommy Likey!!! [/color] [/size]

[img]http://planete.qc.ca/quisuisje/images/Chris_Farley.jpg[/img]

This guy is a collegiate champ. Marv is picking winners on draft day. And we just picked up Chris Farley with our 2nd rd pick this yr from LSU. :lmao:

Every day gets better and better with reports about Bengal players. We have a lot to look forward to this season. I really believe we will beat the stealers twice this coming year!

Guest whodey 85
[quote name='Kochman' post='262942' date='May 3 2006, 09:00 PM']If he returns to his college form he will be starting for us next season!!! The guy was a beast.[/quote]

I agree, if he gets back to 100%, he will replace Richie at C.

Archived