Greetings from 'accross the pond'

Hi guys!

I just thought I would drop you a line from the UK. I am 100% English but I have followed the NFL for the last 20 years or so although I have to say, in the last few years the internet has made the whole process sooooo much easier!

I guess we get quite good coverage over here. Sky Sports (owned by Rupert Murdoch - I think you may have hear of him :blink: ) will show two live games on a Sunday evening (6.00pm and 9.00pm our time) More often than not, the Bengals will not be featured I am sorry to say (They are showing the Pissburgh game on the 24th though!) However, I can still get the live 'play by play' updates from the NFL site. Also, for several games last season, I manged to get live radio commentary on Bangals games from a link on this site. Sadly, I lost the link and I have tried logging on to 1530 Homer in my own right and it won't let me because I am from outside the USA.

I mean, come on. We're brothers aren't we? Can sone one give me some linkeage?

I have to say guys, for the first time in a very long time, it is looking gooooood for the Bengals. The organisation is looking good from the bottom up.

Oh! I just remembered! I was in South Beach last November with Mrs Essex (she likes The Patriots - sorry!) and we saw the 'shoot out' against the Colts - That was so fucking great. I was so proud to be a Bengals fan that night even thought we lost. WHAT A GAME!!!

Anywhoo.....back to the point....if some one could give me some linkeage to Homer or wherever so I can get live commentary from the Arrowhead, I would just LOVE it!

Cheers guys, I am feeling the tension from here!

You got to love it!

P.S. What a shame about Big Ben.

(That's British irony by the way!)

[quote name='Essex Bengal' post='331587' date='Sep 6 2006, 12:23 AM']Hi guys!

I just thought I would drop you a line from the UK. I am 100% English but I have followed the NFL for the last 20 years or so although I have to say, in the last few years the internet has made the whole process sooooo much easier!

I guess we get quite good coverage over here. Sky Sports (owned by Rupert Murdoch - I think you may have hear of him :blink: ) will show two live games on a Sunday evening (6.00pm and 9.00pm our time) More often than not, the Bengals will not be featured I am sorry to say (They are showing the Pissburgh game on the 24th though!) However, I can still get the live 'play by play' updates from the NFL site. Also, for several games last season, I manged to get live radio commentary on Bangals games from a link on this site. Sadly, I lost the link and I have tried logging on to 1530 Homer in my own right and it won't let me because I am from outside the USA.

I have to say guys, for the first time in a very long time, it is looking gooooood for the Bengals. The organisation is looking good from the bottom up.

Oh! I just remembered! I was in South Beach last November with Mrs Essex (she likes The Patriots - sorry!) and we saw the 'shoot out' against the Colts - That was so fucking great. I was so proud to be a Bengals fan that night even thought we lost. WHAT A GAME!!!

Anywhoo.....back to the point....if some one could give me some linkeage to Homer or wherever so I can get live commentary from the Arrowhead, I would just LOVE it!

You got to love it!

(That's British irony by the way!)[/quote]
Where y'at Essex? (lemme guess? some place named essex i dunno of...) I'm a yank living in Croydon. Damn good to find another Bengals fan on this side o' the pond.

I subscribe to the audio feed via real audio on NFL.com. Given the power of the pound v. dollar these days, it's not a bad investment. And you get live audio to augment the NFL.com updates...

WhoDey!

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='331592' date='Sep 6 2006, 12:31 AM']Where y'at Essex? (lemme guess? some place named essex i dunno of...) I'm a yank living in Croydon. Damn good to find another Bengals fan on this side o' the pond.

I subscribe to the audio feed via real audio on NFL.com. Given the power of the pound v. dollar these days, it's not a bad investment. And you get live audio to augment the NFL.com updates...

WhoDey![/quote]

Cheers bud! I'll give that a try!

Lol. That's sarcasm not irony :P Welcome anyway :)

Mmm a pint of Fullers. Not a bad drop. Wierd how everyone thinks we drink tea. Fucking hate the stuff.

As for Bengals game stuff. Try thegamelive.com. May I suggest a station named after dave LAPham ;)

And badgering Steggy to redo his game torrents this season, natch.

Whodey.
VB

[quote name='VonBlade' post='331632' date='Sep 6 2006, 01:05 AM']Lol. That's sarcasm not irony :P Welcome anyway :)

Mmm a pint of Fullers. Not a bad drop. Wierd how everyone thinks we drink tea. Fucking hate the stuff.

As for Bengals game stuff. Try thegamelive.com. May I suggest a station named after dave LAPham ;)

And badgering Steggy to redo his game torrents this season, natch.

Whodey.
VB[/quote]
How's about this one, VonB? My absolute favorite...

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c2/SamuelSmithsOatmealStout.jpg/398px-SamuelSmithsOatmealStout.jpg[/img]

Guest oldschooler

Welcome to the Best Bengals Site on the Net ! :headbang:

As far as the radio stream of games.

Click this link and save it to your favorites...

[url="http://www.thegamelive.com/footballnfl.html#cin"]http://www.thegamelive.com/footballnfl.html#cin[/url]

There are a few links there that work during the season.

Fullers is a good choice, but if you're in Eng-er-land, why bother with the bottled stuff. Get yourself down to the pub and have a pint of REAL ALE!

My wife's family currently lives in Thetford, Bury St. Edmund, and a few in London. My wife's uncle is a Redskins fan.

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='331604' date='Sep 5 2006, 07:37 PM']godammit, there's some great beer over here, too. drink something worth drinking![/quote]

Bass Ale suits me.My Dad drank it and passed it on to our family but always with the proviso " of course,you realize that it's English". When in England we drank Watney's.

[quote name='ueberj' post='331789' date='Sep 6 2006, 04:07 AM']Fullers is a good choice, but if you're in Eng-er-land, why bother with the bottled stuff. Get yourself down to the pub and have a pint of REAL ALE!

My wife's family currently lives in Thetford, Bury St. Edmund, and a few in London. My wife's uncle is a Redskins fan.[/quote]

ESB is pretty easy to find on tap, but the oatmeal stout is only sold in bottles. I had to scour the internet to even find a pub that sells the stuff, and those that do never seem to have it on tap. The Samuel Smith Imperial Stout is usually on tap instead. Probably my biggest disappointment in the pubs over here, since I was a fan of both of these beers before I ever arrived in the UK.

The names of some of the smaller breweries' beer over here are classic. Had a pint of "Titanic Deck Chair" on saturday. Good stuff.

[quote name='ueberj' post='331789' date='Sep 6 2006, 05:07 AM']Fullers is a good choice, but if you're in Eng-er-land, why bother with the bottled stuff. Get yourself down to the pub and have a pint of REAL ALE!

My wife's family currently lives in Thetford, Bury St. Edmund, and a few in London. My wife's uncle is a Redskins fan.[/quote]

Your wife's uncle is a Redskins fan? Interesting.....

:lmao:

[quote name='Essex Bengal' post='331587' date='Sep 5 2006, 06:23 PM']Hi guys!

You got to love it!

(That's British irony by the way!)[/quote]

Great stuff!

I come from essex as well, who'd have thought it.

I come from South Ockendon, where do you come from?

I was stationed at the defunct RAF Greenham Common from 87-90. I drank Newcs, Samuel Smith's, Whitbread and gallons and gallons of Guiness. All at about a pound a pint, $1.80 American. And real Amsterdam Heineken when we could get it.

As far as football, I got to watch some games on Armed Forces Network. One of the BBCs had the football equivalent of This Week in Baseball on Saturday or Sunday for a couple hours.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' post='331891' date='Sep 6 2006, 12:11 PM']Great stuff!

I come from essex as well, who'd have thought it.

I come from South Ockendon, where do you come from?[/quote]

I live between Colchester and Clacton. The Colchester Gladiators British American Football team actually play a couple of miles down the road from here. I've only recently moved to the area so I've not had a chance to check them out. I think they just lost in the play offs to Norwich so I will have to wait until next season now. I don't think it will quite be up to NFL standards ;) but it will at least be interesting to meet a few fellow NFL fans.

I have to say, anyone would think from most of the replies that the British have a reputation for drinking - Let me tell you, it is TOTALLY justified!

Anyway, thanks for the welcome and the links guys, I will be checking them out on Sunday.

WHO DEY!

or as we might say this side of the pond, "COME ON YOU BENGALS!" :thumbsup:

Archived