SIGN WARRICK NOW!!

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' post='375558' date='Oct 30 2006, 09:33 AM']He has been listed as 3rd QB because Wright is out and Marvin must think that is where McNeal helps the most right now. I think I remember McNeal getting a return in the preseason (could have been an end around, I just know he was running with the ball) and he fumbled. Maybe Marvin doesn't trust him enough yet to put him in position to possibly lose the game for us by fumbling a return.[/quote]
[b]Good point...But he's a phenomenal athlete..they need to figure out how to use him in an effective manner[/b]

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='schotzee' post='375527' date='Oct 30 2006, 09:02 AM']Tab could have been that guy [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/20.gif[/img][/quote]
tab would suck as a PR. You have to be fasty and shifty, he is neither.

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='375608' date='Oct 30 2006, 10:18 AM']tab would suck as a PR. You have to be fasty and shifty, he is neither.[/quote]

Well Tab has good speed, but you like a small punt returner. And like you said he is not shifty at all, he's a straight line, tackle breaking, hard runner.

And here's the word on Warrick...

The way we hear it, the buzz around Bengals headquarters was that WR Peter Warrick, the fourth player selected in the 2000 draft by Cincinnati, wasn’t in the greatest of shape when the team brought him in for a workout last week. Injuries have hurt the Bengals’ depth at wide receiver — so much so that rookie S Ethan Kilmer is working with the receivers. Kilmer was a wide receiver at Penn State.

From PFW.

He's out of shape. Nice job Warrick.

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='375637' date='Oct 30 2006, 10:55 AM']And here's the word on Warrick...

The way we hear it, the buzz around Bengals headquarters was that WR Peter Warrick, the fourth player selected in the 2000 draft by Cincinnati, wasn’t in the greatest of shape when the team brought him in for a workout last week. Injuries have hurt the Bengals’ depth at wide receiver — so much so that rookie S Ethan Kilmer is working with the receivers. Kilmer was a wide receiver at Penn State.

From PFW.

He's out of shape. Nice job Warrick.[/quote]

I saw that too, doesn't look like Warrick will be in stripes.

Interesting, the Bengals did say the Warrick thing was on a week by week basis. Maybe they want him to get into better shape and they will think about it later on if injuries are still bothering us. I'm still hoping this report is false and that Warrick will get a chance but since this is the first time anybody has said anyhting about the results of his workout and they are negative I guess maybe the nay-sayers were right about PW.

Guest ravonaf
[quote name='eva4ben-gal' post='375682' date='Oct 30 2006, 12:35 PM']Interesting, the Bengals did say the Warrick thing was on a week by week basis. Maybe they want him to get into better shape and they will think about it later on if injuries are still bothering us. I'm still hoping this report is false and that Warrick will get a chance but since this is the first time anybody has said anyhting about the results of his workout and they are negative I guess maybe the nay-sayers were right about PW.[/quote]

I can't speak for other naysayers but him being out of shape was the last thing I expected. I fully expected him to be in shape but still to have some swelling of his knee after a couple days. Did he go through a training camp this year? When exactly did he get cut from Seattle?

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='ravonaf' post='375691' date='Oct 30 2006, 10:45 AM']Did he go through a training camp this year? When exactly did he get cut from Seattle?[/quote]

He was cut September 2nd. And yes he went through training camp.
He had 6 catches for 74 yards. And 4 punt returns for 43 yards in Pre-season.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='375376' date='Oct 29 2006, 11:15 PM']Keiwan is the worst punt returner in the history of the bengals...sign warrick now, I dont care if he plays offense or not, but at least let him return some punts. I mean Sam Adams can return punts better then Keiwan...[/quote]

Keiwan does not bother me. There is one thing the guy does and that is he secures the ball. Maybe my expectations have been lowered to the bare minimum, but I want the ball in Carson's hands. McNeal would be a huge mistake based on watching his trying to catch a pass from Carson in training camp. The guy needs some work on his hands. CPerry is an interesting option. I thought he did very well on Kick Returns yesterday and I can see him busting a run for 40 50 yards.

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='375948' date='Oct 30 2006, 03:05 PM']Keiwan sucks! Replace him with some guy who has chronic knee injuries and has returned like 5 punts in the last 3 years!!!11[/quote]

Not true. Warrick returned 6 punts last season and 6 punts in pre-season.
In the last 3 years he`s played, he has 31 punt returns, and is averaging 9.7 yards a return.
(He had 0 returns in 2004) And that`s not counting the 6 he had in pre-season.
Counting those he has 37 punt returns for an average of 9.8 yards per return.

Ratliff has had 50 punt returns in the past 3 years, and is averaging 7.9 yards per punt return.
(his career average is inflated because of the 12.2 he averaged in 2004.)

Ratliff, 5 punt returns for 31 yards , average 6.2 yards per punt return, longest was for 8 yards, in 2006.

Peter Warrick, 6 punt returns for 43 yards, average 10. 8 yards per punt return, longest was for 25 yards.

I'm trying to decide whether having a ball-securing non-yard gainer like Ratliff returning punts is a better option than a guy that has sick speed and moves that is a threat to break a long return every time he touches the ball but is the occaisonal fumble risk (McNeal).

[quote name='oldschooler' post='375975' date='Oct 30 2006, 04:41 PM']Not true. Warrick returned 6 punts last season and 6 punts in pre-season.
In the last 3 years he`s played, he has 31 punt returns, and is averaging 9.7 yards a return.

Ratliff has had 50 punt returns in the past 3 years, and is averaging 7.9 yards per punt return.

Ratliff, 5 punt returns for 31 yards , average 6.2 yards per punt return, longest was for 8 yards, in 2006.

Peter Warrick, 6 punt returns for 43 yards, average 10. 8 yards per punt return, longest was for 25 yards.[/quote]

What these stats don't show is the number of times PDub didn't catch the punt and let it hit the ground. Keiwan can't return the punt, but he always catches it. That may go underappreciated here, but I have to tell you, watching PDub move away from a punt that hits on the 35 only to be downed on the 15 is a whole lot worse than watching Keiwan catch it on the 35 and return it to the 36. PDub sucked as a returner.

I agree with Cow and Phat - Keiwan may have regressed as a return guy, but he does secure the ball - and his judgment tends to be good (operative word "tends" is key here). Warrick is more explosive, but he's also a dumb ass when it comes to decision making. And he's a bit out of practice. That'd make me nervous in a game like this weekend's - or any against a stout defense.

In close games where a turnover can kill you, and field position is important, give me Ratliff. No, he likely won't "break" anything over 10 yards, but he'll run up and catch it, make good decisions, and not fumble.

I think McNeal could be a very good PR with work - he's got the speed, and open-field running ability, but he may not be ready yet.

[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Akh2oFn4RAHrJMQgJKfQP0L.uLYF?slug=ap-lions-moves&prov=ap&type=lgns"]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Akh2...p&type=lgns[/url]
[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4321/"]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4321/[/url]

Sign HAKIM....

Guest OzBengal
Another guy we should look at is Antonio Perkins. He was just cut by the Browns. He never got a chance to return punts for them but he was a pretty good punt returner for Oklahoma.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='375975' date='Oct 30 2006, 05:41 PM']Not true. Warrick returned 6 punts last season and 6 punts in pre-season.

Peter Warrick, 6 punt returns for 43 yards, average 10. 8 yards per punt return, longest was for 25 yards.[/quote]

Old, not questioning the numbers as they are what they are but-------------there is a reason the guy returned only 6 punts last season.

I'd guess, return a punt and ice knee for 6 days......... If this guy is healthy he'd be playing for someone..... He isn't--------move on. i myself would love the PDub of old. He'd be the best #4 receiver in the league and could help in many ways.

Archived