** ANYONE GOT VISTA YET? **

[quote name='GoBengals' post='434737' date='Jan 30 2007, 04:17 PM']had to settle for the home premium edition, i wanted the busniess ultimate package but didnt have the extra loot to upgrade...

good times..

anyone got it yet? its about 2.5 gig download and its about 8% done so far... so itll be a few hours...[/quote]

No thanks. Performance in XP is better and i dont care about widgets

[quote name='Ben' post='434743' date='Jan 30 2007, 04:20 PM']No thanks. Performance in XP is better and i dont care about widgets[/quote]

i read some reviews on the whole performance differences, i dont forsee it being an issue with this machine, i will likely wait on my laptops tho, ive got a core 2 duo 6600 and 2 gigs of ddr ram, i doubt i will notice much performance difference. but i will check back in once its done and see how it fairs in real life day to day usage...

[quote name='GoBengals' post='434749' date='Jan 30 2007, 04:24 PM']i read some reviews on the whole performance differences, i dont forsee it being an issue with this machine, i will likely wait on my laptops tho, ive got a core 2 duo 6600 and 2 gigs of ddr ram, i doubt i will notice much performance difference. but i will check back in once its done and see how it fairs in real life day to day usage...[/quote]

Yeah...for what i use my machine for, i dont see the benefit of upgrade. But to each his own, eh?

I am curious if x64 runs better on it though.

[quote name='Ben' post='434750' date='Jan 30 2007, 04:25 PM']Yeah...for what i use my machine for, i dont see the benefit of upgrade. But to each his own, eh?

I am curious if x64 runs better on it though.[/quote]

i went with the 32 bit version. as i read nightmare stories of software not approved by microsoft not workin at all on the 64 bit version. and i think the only microsoft approved software i have is adobe.. woulda been nice to get the added boost from the 64 bit version tho... from what i can tell i can always upgrade for a minimal charge later on..

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='434765' date='Jan 30 2007, 04:36 PM']my copmuter doesnt have the specs for vista :([/quote]

yikes...

1996 called, they want your computer and parachute pants back...

Guest WhoDeyForever
[quote name='GoBengals' post='434777' date='Jan 30 2007, 04:43 PM']yikes...

1996 called, they want your computer and parachute pants back...[/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

My copy of Vista should be coming in the mail anytime. I bought a new laptop from Best Buy a few weeks ago, and they told me they'd ship me Vista when it came out. All I had to do was send in the registration, which I did. If I don't see it in the next week or two, I'll call and bitch. :contract:

In the meantime, how is it? Is it good/bad/whatever? I'm just kinda curious about any personal experience with it. Admittedly, I haven't done a lot of reading up on it just yet.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain

[quote name='GoBengals' post='434777' date='Jan 30 2007, 04:43 PM']i went with the 32 bit version. as i read nightmare stories of software not approved by microsoft not workin at all on the 64 bit version. and i think the only microsoft approved software i have is adobe.. woulda been nice to get the added boost from the 64 bit version tho... from what i can tell i can always upgrade for a minimal charge later on..
yikes...

1996 called, they want your computer and parachute pants back...[/quote]
sorry i cant afford a nice ass computer....and vista has decent requirements, i was lookin them up the other day. i have a computer to surf the internet and do homework. And it still does that. :)

[quote name='Rumble in the Jungle' post='434827' date='Jan 30 2007, 06:16 PM']a wise man told me once never get anything from microsoft when it first comes out, and wait for about 6 months to a year to make sure there is no problems with it![/quote]
If the man was truly wise he would have told you to buy a Mac... :whistle:

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain

[quote name='The_Joker' post='434831' date='Jan 30 2007, 06:21 PM']If the man was truly wise he would have told you to buy a Mac... :whistle:[/quote]
then that would have been a man with no penis.

[quote name='Rumble in the Jungle' post='434827' date='Jan 30 2007, 06:16 PM']a wise man told me once never get anything from microsoft when it first comes out, and wait for about 6 months to a year to make sure there is no problems with it![/quote]

yea windows is always buggy, its expected, i have a trillion computers so the chances of any issues causing me any problems.. is slim... so i said screw it and upgraded...

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain

[quote name='The_Joker' post='434847' date='Jan 30 2007, 06:57 PM']I guess Your mom didn't mind while I was slamming her in the ass with my pussy.... :265:[/quote]
so ur a Necrophiliac?

Guest WhoDeyForever
[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='434836' date='Jan 30 2007, 06:36 PM']then that would have been a man with no penis.[/quote]
[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

[quote name='Bunghole' post='434848' date='Jan 30 2007, 06:58 PM']I read that you need a gig of RAM just to run the OS, man, that's a lot of access memory. My machine is a year old, has a gig of RAM, an AMD 3700 64-bit processor....think I'd need to get more RAM to run it properly? I hate lagginess....[/quote]

should be fine. the 1 GB isnt minimum requirement its recommended to run properly. you sohuldnt see any if much lag with that machine. unless of course you have google search bar yahoo toolbar google toolbat aim friends banner blog stats help engine and whatever other teenage girlie treats kids use these days..

[quote name='GoBengals' post='434872' date='Jan 30 2007, 07:34 PM']should be fine. the 1 GB isnt minimum requirement its recommended to run properly. you sohuldnt see any if much lag with that machine.[b] unless of course you have google search bar yahoo toolbar google toolbat aim friends banner blog stats help engine and whatever other teenage girlie treats kids use these days..[/b][/quote]
I don't. I absolutely hate anything that minimizes the size of my browser, which these useless, spyware-laden toolbars do. If I want a search, I'll pull up Google or something off my favorites list, I don't need to save a millisecond of time having it right there on my browser.

1. If you have any mission-critical applications (particularly in the medical field) wait until you get official word from the developer or manufacturer that it is Vista compliant.

2. You better have a minimum of 2 GB or RAM, especially if you get the Ultimate Edition and run the OS X Aqua rip-off interface Aero (though Aero is slick as shit once you get it running). Less than 2 GB won't do anything but piss you off.

3. If at all possible, go dual core to prevent lag.

4. If your video card has less than 256 MB or RAM or is onboard, you're screwed.

5. Networking (particularly outside of Active Directory, say in your home) is a fucking nightmare. You want to share a folder on another computer in your network, better alot at least 1/2 or more to get it working. I can map or mount a drive in XP, 2003, OS X, ZenWalk or Solaris in seconds by comparison. Mapping in an AD environment is better, but not by much.

6. The enhanced "Security" is more annoying than secure. You have to approve [b]every fucking thing you open[/b] the first time (even notepad) and even though you might tell it to remember, it has a habit of not doing so. Plus, unlike any *.nix version, you're not actually authenticating, just "Approving", i.e., no passord. It's so annoying, that people will get into the habit of just clicking "yes" to get it to leave them the fuck alone, thereby clicking "yes" to things they shouldn't.

7. The Windows Registry is still there. 'Nuff said.

Overall, Vista has a GUI similar (plagarized?) to OS X, and a number of Linux distros such as DreamLinux. The bells and whistles are entertaining in the short term, but the overall annoyances outweigh them after about a week. Is it good enough for me to drop $400 on it? Not for at least 6 months to a year. Plus I've been a BETA tester for the last year, so the allure wore off long ago.

My advice to most people is don't upgrade, wait until you buy a new PC with it preinstalled, and for the love of God, don't go cheap...

[quote name='Elflocko' post='434897' date='Jan 30 2007, 08:26 PM']1. If you have any mission-critical applications (particularly in the medical field) wait until you get official word from the developer or manufacturer that it is Vista compliant.

2. You better have a minimum of 2 GB or RAM, especially if you get the Ultimate Edition and run the OS X Aqua rip-off interface Aero (though Aero is slick as shit once you get it running). Less than 2 GB won't do anything but piss you off.

3. If at all possible, go dual core to prevent lag.

4. If your video card has less than 256 MB or RAM or is onboard, you're screwed.

5. Networking (particularly outside of Active Directory, say in your home) is a fucking nightmare. You want to share a folder on another computer in your network, better alot at least 1/2 or more to get it working. I can map or mount a drive in XP, 2003, OS X, ZenWalk or Solaris in seconds by comparison. Mapping in an AD environment is better, but not by much.

6. The enhanced "Security" is more annoying than secure. You have to approve [b]every fucking thing you open[/b] the first time (even notepad) and even though you might tell it to remember, it has a habit of not doing so. Plus, unlike any *.nix version, you're not actually authenticating, just "Approving", i.e., no passord. It's so annoying, that people will get into the habit of just clicking "yes" to get it to leave them the fuck alone, thereby clicking "yes" to things they shouldn't.

7. The Windows Registry is still there. 'Nuff said.

Overall, Vista has a GUI similar (plagarized?) to OS X, and a number of Linux distros such as DreamLinux. The bells and whistles are entertaining in the short term, but the overall annoyances outweigh them after about a week. Is it good enough for me to drop $400 on it? Not for at least 6 months to a year. Plus I've been a BETA tester for the last year, so the allure wore off long ago.

My advice to most people is don't upgrade, wait until you buy a new PC with it preinstalled, and for the love of God, don't go cheap...[/quote]

i cant imagine many users here will be going with the ultimate edition. but good info... mine is installing now... says it may take several hours to complete... which it said it would take 20 hours to download as well, and took about 2. i imagine wit the minimum specs this would take a shitload of time. wonder how long it will let me browse until it makes me be good and let it upgrade...

Posting from my new Vista Premium laptop.

1 gig of Ram from the factory and I'm fine.

Oh, maybe because I have a 2gb SD card in the built in card reader that is active from Windows ReadyBoost, giving me a total of 3gb of RAM.

Loving this thing, CoreDuo, and the pretty-ness of Vista. Still learning it though. I cannot really give a full "review" of the OS yet because I've only been using it for a couple of hours.

Pretty, fast, and (too) secure. The first thing I did was delete all the bloat ware and extra utilities on there, and it is still asking me permissions for everything. Oh well, that's part of new hardware.

Mozilla runs fine on it, so does VLC, and I'll tell you about Azerus very soon.

Archived