deltha to be traded

Deltha could be replaced, either with Madieu, Ratliff, a draft pick, or some scrub free agent, but I don't see this happening because it doesn't make sense. Maybe if he was making big bucks or was a free agent after 2007. But he's cheap and signed for two years. Who honestly knows what goes on behind closed doors, but if somehow he is dealt, it could only be due to the fact that Marvin feels he won't or can't perform at the level of a starting CB.

Guest happyrid
[quote name='Inigo Montoya' post='464102' date='Mar 29 2007, 09:00 AM']Deltha could be replaced, either with Madieu, Ratliff, a draft pick, or some scrub free agent, but I don't see this happening because it doesn't make sense. Maybe if he was making big bucks or was a free agent after 2007. But he's cheap and signed for two years. Who honestly knows what goes on behind closed doors, but [b]if somehow he is dealt, it could only be due to the fact that Marvin feels he won't or can't perform at the level of a starting CB.[/b][/quote]

I think you nailed it here. I don't know if he will be traded or not, but if he is this has to be the reason. And it wouldn't be without precedent. Mike Shanahan felt the same way and basically gave him to the Bengals for next to nothing (4th rounder). And that was when he was 27, not 30.

There could also be any number of things going on behind the scenes. Last offseason, there were rumors Deltha wanted a new contract. Maybe he's threatening to hold out. There have been rumors that he has a drinking problem. Maybe they just don't trust that his problems are behind him.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' post='464058' date='Mar 29 2007, 05:54 AM']I think Deltha's problems are more deep rooted this time round.

[b]I remember someone on this board (claiming that he knew Deltha in some way) posting something to the effect that
his wife found him in bed with another woman and kicked him out of the house. Apparently he's been having problems since then. I think maritial problems(though I'm not an expert) tend to linger around and can really weigh down on a person, even if they're on the field of play.[/b] I've lost count at the number of times I've heard about sports stars who subconsciously drop their game and crack due to domestic pressures like this. It's obvious that if Deltha is still having maritial problems then will only be getting half the player we once had, back this year. I'm in two minds about this. It all depends what we could get in return - a day 1 pick minimum IMO.[/quote]

Number 1 clue someone just got married = They gain 10 to 15lbs

Number 1 clue someone is getting divorced = They lose 10 to 15lbs

Do the math on how stressful marital strife can be

[quote name='oldschooler' post='464079' date='Mar 29 2007, 08:16 AM']That`s a lot of may bes, might bes and ifs ...[/quote]

Sounds like a PFT article... :afropic:

[quote name='MrOrange1219' post='463980' date='Mar 28 2007, 10:36 PM']Didn't the capnicks here say the Bengals will be close to $30M under the cap next year with very few FAs on the roster?[/quote]

now hold on there! you know you have to factor in the rookie pool and the injury settlements, and the, and the.............

[quote name='bengaled' post='464110' date='Mar 29 2007, 09:34 AM']now hold on there! you know you have to factor in the rookie pool and the injury settlements, and the, and the.............[/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

That was the very thought that entered my mind...how many years in a row does Hobson think we will fall for this lousy excuse...

[quote name='MrOrange1219' date='Mar 28 2007, 10:36 PM']Didn't the capnicks here say the Bengals will be close to $30M under the cap next year with very few FAs on the roster?[/quote]

[quote name='bengaled' post='464110' date='Mar 29 2007, 08:34 AM']now hold on there! you know you have to factor in the rookie pool and the injury settlements, and the, and the.............[/quote]

In Season Cap Space - $3,175,346... [url="http://cap.go-bengals.com"]Per the Go-Bengals cap page linked to here and above[/url] (thanks to Phatcat).

As far as I can tell.. This doesn't include signing rookies. It may not be perfect... But it ain 30 million either. It's no wonder some of the things you hear, when you realize what is commonly misunderstood.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='464111' date='Mar 29 2007, 09:43 AM'][img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

That was the very thought that entered my mind...how many years in a row does Hobson think we will fall for this lousy excuse...[/quote]

hobson only reports, what he's TOLD to report....but i'm sure you know that.

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' post='464102' date='Mar 29 2007, 09:00 AM']Deltha could be replaced, either with Madieu, Ratliff, a draft pick, or some scrub free agent, but I don't see this happening because it doesn't make sense. Maybe if he was making big bucks or was a free agent after 2007. But he's cheap and signed for two years. Who honestly knows what goes on behind closed doors, but if somehow he is dealt, it could only be due to the fact that Marvin feels he won't or can't perform at the level of a starting CB.[/quote]

Just a guess.

The whole thing with Deltha is he thinks Denver screwed him. He wants a contract he thinks a 2-time Pro Bowl QB should have. Plus the outrageous growth in salaries.

Dumping him before a long drawn out hold out before TC.

[quote name='Lucid' post='464115' date='Mar 29 2007, 09:52 AM']In Season Cap Space - $3,175,346... [url="http://cap.go-bengals.com"]Per the Go-Bengals cap page linked to here and above[/url] (thanks to Phatcat).
As far as I can tell.. This doesn't include signing rookies. It may not be perfect... But it ain 30 million either. It's no wonder some of the things you hear, when you realize what is commonly misunderstood.[/quote]

i think he was referring to next season, bro.

[quote name='scharm' post='464119' date='Mar 29 2007, 09:59 AM']Just a guess.

The whole thing with Deltha is he thinks Denver screwed him. He wants a contract he thinks a 2-time Pro Bowl QB should have. Plus the outrageous growth in salaries.
Dumping him before a long drawn out hold out before TC.[/quote]

let's hope not.

[quote name='happyrid' post='464105' date='Mar 29 2007, 09:14 AM']I think you nailed it here. I don't know if he will be traded or not, but if he is this has to be the reason. And it wouldn't be without precedent. Mike Shanahan felt the same way and basically gave him to the Bengals for next to nothing (4th rounder). And that was when he was 27, not 30.

There could also be any number of things going on behind the scenes. Last offseason, there were rumors Deltha wanted a new contract. Maybe he's threatening to hold out. There have been rumors that he has a drinking problem. Maybe they just don't trust that his problems are behind him.[/quote]

I think the contract and the off-field stuff are factors, but any trade would be based on expected performance more than anything else. Why trade him if you think he'll still be a productive player?

Good point about Shanahan. I'm not fan of his, but he may not have been that crazy in how he dealt with O'Neal in Denver.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='464106' date='Mar 29 2007, 09:18 AM']Number 1 clue someone just got married = They gain 10 to 15lbs

Number 1 clue someone is getting divorced = They lose 10 to 15lbs

Do the math on how stressful marital strife can be
Sounds like a PFT article... :afropic:[/quote]

Opra must get married and divorced quite frequently. Crazy horny I guess.

[quote name='bengaled' post='464120' date='Mar 29 2007, 08:59 AM']i think he was referring to next season, bro.[/quote]

You mean '08, where several key players will no longer be under contract? That 30m under?

How the hell is that relevant to anything?

[quote name='Lucid' post='464131' date='Mar 29 2007, 10:12 AM']You mean '08, where several key players will no longer be under contract? That 30m under?
How the hell is that relevant to anything?[/quote]

Which key players are you referring to?

TJ Houshmanzadeh.......

and....and....and

[quote name='Lucid' post='464131' date='Mar 29 2007, 10:12 AM']You mean '08, where several key players will no longer be under contract? That 30m under?

i don't know, maybe you should ask him. he's the one that raised the issue.

[quote name='globetrotter' post='464137' date='Mar 29 2007, 09:20 AM']Which key players are you referring to?

TJ Houshmanzadeh.......

and....and....and[/quote]

Actually... TJ is signed through 2008.

The players not signed after this year include.

Key players are bolded
Significant players in italics

Doug Johnson
[b]Tab Perry[/b]
Antonio Chatman
Glenn Holt
Alex Stepanovich
[i]Stacy Andrews[/i]
[i]Adam Kieft[/i]
[b]Madeiu Williams[/b]
[i]Kiewan Ratliff[/i]
Greg Brooks
John Busin
[i]Caleb Miller[/i]
[i]Landon Johnson[/i]
[i]Rashad Jeanty[/i]
Andre Frazier
[b]Justin Smith[/b]
[i]Bryan Robinson[/i]
[i]Jonathan Fanene[/i]
[b]Kyle Larson [/b]

Next time you respond like a smart ass.. At least take the time to know what the hell you are talking about.

[quote name='Lucid' post='464143' date='Mar 29 2007, 10:30 AM']Actually... TJ is signed through 2008.

Key players are bolded

Doug Johnson
[b]Tab Perry[/b]
Antonio Chatman
Glenn Holt
Alex Stepanovich
[i]Stacy Andrews[/i]
[i]Adam Kieft[/i]
[b]Madeiu Williams[/b]
[i]Kiewan Ratliff[/i]
Greg Brooks
John Busin
[i]Caleb Miller[/i]
[i]Landon Johnson[/i]
[i]Rashad Jeanty[/i]
Andre Frazier
[b]Justin Smith[/b]
[i]Bryan Robinson[/i]
[i]Jonathan Fanene[/i]
[b]Kyle Larson [/b]
Next time you respond like a smart ass.. At least take the time to know what the hell you are talking about.[/quote]

You said 2008.

[quote name='Lucid' post='464115' date='Mar 29 2007, 09:52 AM']In Season Cap Space - $3,175,346... [url="http://cap.go-bengals.com"]Per the Go-Bengals cap page linked to here and above[/url] (thanks to Phatcat).
As far as I can tell.. This doesn't include signing rookies. It may not be perfect... But it ain 30 million either. It's no wonder some of the things you hear, when you realize what is commonly misunderstood.[/quote]

This was in reference to next year...not this year...

[quote name='Lucid' post='464143' date='Mar 29 2007, 10:30 AM']Actually... TJ is signed through 2008.

Key players are bolded

Doug Johnson
[b]Tab Perry[/b]
Antonio Chatman
Glenn Holt
Alex Stepanovich
[i]Stacy Andrews[/i]
[i][u]Adam Kieft[/u][/i]
[b]Madeiu Williams[/b]
[i]Kiewan Ratliff[/i]
Greg Brooks
John Busin
[i]Caleb Miller[/i]
[i]Landon Johnson[/i]
[i]Rashad Jeanty[/i]
Andre Frazier
[b]Justin Smith[/b]
[i]Bryan Robinson[/i]
[i]Jonathan Fanene[/i]
[b]Kyle Larson [/b]
Next time you respond like a smart ass.. At least take the time to know what the hell you are talking about.[/quote]

How can Kieft be considered a significant player when he has never played a down?

Go back an reread everything leading up to that post and you will catch what bengaled said was a joke about the excuse the Bengals and Hobson use EVERY SINGLE YEAR even if it has some truth this year...

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='464149' date='Mar 29 2007, 10:42 AM']Go back an reread everything leading up to that post and you will catch what bengaled said was a joke about the excuse the Bengals and Hobson use EVERY SINGLE YEAR even if it has some truth this year...[/quote]

There won't be $30 mil left after we have to sign our FA's in '08. Contractual inflation will make sure of that.

[quote name='bengaled' post='464122' date='Mar 29 2007, 10:01 AM']let's hope not.[/quote]

Yeah I hope not, but he's getting closer to 30, missed his chance at a second big contract because of what happened in Denver, and now is looking at playing for 2.4 when a new contract could pay him 4/5 times greater than that this year.

If he stays with the bengals, a hold out would not surprise me at all.

[quote name='Jason' post='464148' date='Mar 29 2007, 09:41 AM']How can Kieft be considered a significant player when he has never played a down?[/quote]

Ok... nitpick if you like.

How about the substance of my post?

Archived