It's Official, Ed Hartwell is a Bengal.

[quote]By GEOFF HOBSON
April 29, 2007

6:50 p.m.

The agent for veteran linebacker Ed Hartwell said Sunday night he’s trying to wrap up a deal with the Bengals after a weekend they didn’t draft a linebacker. P> “It’s a possibility,” said head coach Marvin Lewis. “He’s looking for a place to call home.”

Lewis said he felt good about the seven newest Bengals, but admitted he’ll probably feel better next year when he figures the Bengals will have as many as four compensatory picks because of free-agent losses.

He noted the bushel held by AFC North rivals pissburgh and Baltimore that, along with Cleveland, Lewis thought had solid drafts.

“Those teams, with those picks get an opportunity to do that,” Lewis said. “I think we’ll sit here next year and feeling a little stronger about where you’re picking, No. 1, and having more picks, and you can fill on paper what are perceived needs.”

The Bengals did fill some of their more glaring needs by taking three of the most physical defensive backs in the draft, one of the top speed backs, and a fifth-round pick projected as the long-term backup quarterback.

“We can fill 11 spots next year, you guys will be happy,” Lewis told the media.

Lewis couldn’t help but gaze back at the second round when the Bengals drafted Auburn running back Kenny Irons with the 49th pick. That came at the end of a defensive run that whisked away the Michigan duo of inside linebacker David Harris and defensive end Lamarr Woodley just before the Bengals picked.

“The only thing that you can possibly do is allow people to (trade) up to your spot,” Lewis said of trades, “and if a guy you have in your grouping of three or four guys is there, then you’re probably going to stay there and pick the guy.

“If they’re not, then you have a chance to move back,” Lewis said. “The only time in the second were people really hot to move up, and when everybody got to our pick they quit calling because the guys we all coveted, which I think were all defensive players, were all gone off the board.”[/quote]

:gobengals:

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6019"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6019[/url]

[quote name='Rumble in the Jungle' post='479601' date='Apr 29 2007, 07:04 PM']:gobengals:

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6019"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6019[/url][/quote]

Marvin's quote seems to validate the thinking that the Bengals just sit there in their spot and hope certain players come to them. It's always been this way. Year after year we see the better franchises (NE, Dal, SD, Phil, Balt, Den, etc.) work the draft, getting what they want instead of crossing their fingers, and of course relying on actual player personnel and scouting departments to get them the info and leverage they need. In the end, we get what we deserve.

[quote name='Coy Bacon & Egg' post='479611' date='Apr 29 2007, 07:24 PM']Marvin's quote seems to validate the thinking that the Bengals just sit there in their spot and hope certain players come to them. It's always been this way. Year after year we see the better franchises (NE, Dal, SD, Phil, Balt, Den, etc.) work the draft, getting what they want instead of crossing their fingers, and of course relying on actual player personnel and scouting departments to get them the info and leverage they need. In the end, we get what we deserve.[/quote]

So, ...you're saying we got everyone else's table scraps?

Guest OzBengal
[quote name='Coy Bacon & Egg' post='479611' date='Apr 29 2007, 06:24 PM']Marvin's quote seems to validate the thinking that the Bengals just sit there in their spot and hope certain players come to them. It's always been this way. Year after year we see the better franchises (NE, Dal, SD, Phil, Balt, Den, etc.) work the draft, getting what they want instead of crossing their fingers, and of course relying on actual player personnel and scouting departments to get them the info and leverage they need. In the end, we get what we deserve.[/quote]

You really need extra draft picks to move around like that. Because we had one less pick we weren't really in a position to trade them away. If we really do have 11 draft picks next year as Marvin seems to be suggesting then I would expect us to work the draft more in 2008.

[quote name='Coy Bacon & Egg' post='479611' date='Apr 29 2007, 07:24 PM']Marvin's quote seems to validate the thinking that the Bengals just sit there in their spot and hope certain players come to them. It's always been this way. Year after year we see the better franchises (NE, Dal, SD, Phil, Balt, Den, etc.) work the draft, getting what they want instead of crossing their fingers, and of course relying on actual player personnel and scouting departments to get them the info and leverage they need. In the end, we get what we deserve.[/quote]
[color="#FF0000"]
[b]Nice positive post.[/b][/color] :mellow:

[quote name='OzBengal' post='479619' date='Apr 29 2007, 07:34 PM']You really need extra draft picks to move around like that. Because we had one less pick we weren't really in a position to trade them away. If we really do have 11 draft picks next year as Marvin seems to be suggesting then I would expect us to work the draft more in 2008.[/quote]

Completely agree.

Guest happyrid

I think you are right to a certain extent. The team who I thought had a great draft was the Jets. They were able to trade up twice and got great players in David Harris and Darrelle Revis.

I think teams are stupid to give away future picks though in almost all cases. That ends up killing you and you don't get enough value for what they are worth. Cleveland for example gave up #36 this year and probably a top 5 pick next year just to get the #22. That is a very stiff price to pay.

Part of me wishes we could have maybe given up our 4th rounder to get up and get either Harris, Durant or Lamarr Woodley. Then again, I like the guy we got in the 4th too, so that's a double edged sword.

People can sarcastically rip my "postive post" or cite the need for extra picks for versatility, but the point is, the Bengals are about the most passive team in the league in general, and especially on draft day. It was shocking three years ago when they made the O'Neal pre-draft trade and then the Rd 1 deal with St Louis to pick up a 4th rounder (although they effectively traded Steven Jackson for Chris Perry to do that). I'm just saying I'm tired of seeing other teams be aggressors. And it's no coincidence that those teams always seem to have an upper hand, and know what to do with it. Of course, I think those other teams have actual front office infrastructure consistent with building and sustaining championship contenders year in and year out, while Cincinnati notoriously does not.

[quote name='happyrid' post='479623' date='Apr 29 2007, 07:39 PM']I think you are right to a certain extent. The team who I thought had a great draft was the Jets. They were able to trade up twice and got great players in David Harris and Darrelle Revis.

I think teams are stupid to give away future picks though in almost all cases. That ends up killing you and you don't get enough value for what they are worth. Cleveland for example gave up #36 this year and probably a top 5 pick next year just to get the #22. That is a very stiff price to pay.

Part of me wishes we could have maybe given up our 4th rounder to get up and get either Harris, Durant or Lamarr Woodley. Then again, I like the guy we got in the 4th too, so that's a double edged sword.[/quote]

good call.

Guest OzBengal
[quote name='Coy Bacon & Egg' post='479626' date='Apr 29 2007, 06:43 PM']People can sarcastically rip my "postive post" or cite the need for extra picks for versatility, but the point is, [b]the Bengals are about the most passive team in the league in general, and especially on draft day. It was shocking three years ago when they made the O'Neal pre-draft trade and then the Rd 1 deal with St Louis to pick up a 4th rounder (although they effectively traded Steven Jackson for Chris Perry to do that). I'm just saying I'm tired of seeing other teams be aggressors.[/b] And it's no coincidence that those teams always seem to have an upper hand, and know what to do with it. Of course, I think those other teams have actual front office infrastructure consistent with building and sustaining championship contenders year in and year out, while Cincinnati notoriously does not.[/quote]

Don't know how you can say the Bengals are too passive and then rip them for being proactive and making trades.

[quote name='OzBengal' post='479630' date='Apr 29 2007, 07:47 PM']Don't know how you can say the Bengals are too passive and then rip them for being proactive and making trades.[/quote]

I believe he is saying that is the only time and that was ML's Welcome Basket on a one time good thing. He is correct and I agree with his posts. Dude is dead on with this front office! You don't need extra picks to do these kinds of moves, did the Browns need extra picks? Nope! They want to just wait and pray and hope and the other teams below them know this organization will stand pat. It is a given!

[quote name='Coy Bacon & Egg' post='479626' date='Apr 29 2007, 05:43 PM']People can sarcastically rip my "postive post" or cite the need for extra picks for versatility, but the point is, the Bengals are about the most passive team in the league in general, and especially on draft day. It was shocking three years ago when they made the O'Neal pre-draft trade and then the Rd 1 deal with St Louis to pick up a 4th rounder (although they effectively traded Steven Jackson for Chris Perry to do that). I'm just saying I'm tired of seeing other teams be aggressors. And it's no coincidence that those teams always seem to have an upper hand, and know what to do with it. Of course, I think those other teams have actual front office infrastructure consistent with building and sustaining championship contenders year in and year out, while Cincinnati notoriously does not.[/quote]
I don't know man, most of the teams that you refer to as "agressors" in the draft end up being losers by the end of the year. Cleveland was aggressive...are they going to the Superbowl? The Rams were aggressive AFTER they won theirs...how'd that work out for them?
How about them Redskins? They had what, 2 or 3 picks this draft because of past "aggressiveness" in the draft and FA? When's the last time they were in the playoffs under their current ownership? 1999?
This isn't about Mike Brown, it's about Marvin Lewis, and he will always draft "his guys" and develop the ones he already has. It isn't because of cheapness on the part of ownership, it's because of solid philosophy. In most instances since ML has been here, it's working. The injury and suspension bug put our 2006 season into the crapper more than anything.
But I see what you're saying, having lived through the "dark era" of the 1990's-early 2000's.
But it is clear that marvin is mostly making solid personnel moves. And everyone makes mistakes, ala Chris Perry. But it's easy to see the decision-making process behind that pick in context of the Rudi/Dillon situation at the time.
Hindsight is always 20/20.

Guest OzBengal
[quote name='TigerJ@w' post='479632' date='Apr 29 2007, 06:53 PM']did the Browns need extra picks? Nope![/quote]

What you don't point out is that the Browns probably traded away a top 10 pick in next years draft. I'm glad we don't do stupid things like that.

[quote name='Coy Bacon & Egg' post='479626' date='Apr 29 2007, 07:43 PM']People can sarcastically rip my "postive post" or cite the need for extra picks for versatility, but the point is, the Bengals are about the most passive team in the league in general, and especially on draft day. It was shocking three years ago when they made the O'Neal pre-draft trade and then the Rd 1 deal with St Louis to pick up a 4th rounder (although they effectively traded Steven Jackson for Chris Perry to do that). I'm just saying I'm tired of seeing other teams be aggressors. And it's no coincidence that those teams always seem to have an upper hand, and know what to do with it. Of course, I think those other teams have actual front office infrastructure consistent with building and sustaining championship contenders year in and year out, while Cincinnati notoriously does not.[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]Giving away future picks just to trade up is super risky. The draft is a big roll of the dice as it is, but when you mortgage
future picks, and if the player you traded up for turns out to be a bust, you are double screwed.

The teams that do that seldom strike gold. [/b][/color]

[quote name='ONYX' post='479638' date='Apr 29 2007, 08:00 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]Giving away future picks just to trade up is super risky. The draft is a big roll of the dice as it is, but when you mortgage
future picks, and if the player you traded up for turns out to be a bust, you are double screwed.

The teams that do that seldom strike gold. [/b][/color][/quote]

:afropic:

[quote name='OzBengal' post='479635' date='Apr 29 2007, 07:57 PM']What you don't point out is that the Browns probably traded away a top 10 pick in next years draft. I'm glad we don't do stupid things like that.[/quote]

and what you don't understand is they will not have to pay first round money and CAP space for future years and if Quinn turns out then they got their franchise QB Cheap. Pretty good move if you ask me. Think of all the first round BUSTS we have drafted if you think about the Top Ten Pick.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='479637' date='Apr 29 2007, 08:00 PM']Never let a day go by without blaming the front office for everything YOU dont like. :rolleyes:[/quote]

It is not what I don't like it is what ML liked that is the problem here. So you think we did not need to get the player ML wanted to make us better? I hope our DL pans out because ML stated, OUR D WILL BE BETTER! OK, I see better than I hear!

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img]

:blink: what happend to your post BAB ? im laughing for no reason now <_<

[quote name='TigerJ@w' post='479653' date='Apr 29 2007, 08:18 PM']It is not what I don't like it is what ML liked that is the problem here. So you think we did not need to get the player ML wanted to make us better? I hope our DL pans out because ML stated, OUR D WILL BE BETTER! OK, I see better than I hear![/quote]

Our passing D WILL be better for 1 reason.

No more Tory James.

Archived