It's Official, Ed Hartwell is a Bengal.

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='479826' date='Apr 30 2007, 12:06 AM']Not to mention the Browns traded up to get Winslow. Eventually that might work out, but it hasn't to this point.[/quote]

he had a pretty good year last year, BB. i think he's on the way back. with a better QB on the horizon, i would only expect more improvement. but he sure did have a shaky start, didn't he?

[quote name='atlbengalfan' post='479930' date='Apr 30 2007, 08:20 AM']moving around the draft to get players by losing picks can be tricky. it works for some and not for others. as much as I hate the stealers, they are not known for moving around much and they were consistent winners for most of cowhers era. peoples beef may be with who we draft at spots not as much as where we are picking[/quote]

they moved picks to trade for jerome fat fuck fat fuck bettis, that's virtually the same thing. they moved up to get their best defensive player, troy polomalu. just as they did for santonio holmes, the guy who beat us in the final game. i'd bet good money there have been more, but that's all that comes to me right now.

Guest Tigris
We'd be in good shape of Hartwell comes here and stays healthy... We would still be young and somewhat inexperienced, but we'd have depth at EVERY position on defense.

CB:

Joseph
O'Neal
Hall
Ratliff
G. Brooks

S:

Williams
Jackson
White
Kilmer/Jones/Busing

LB:

Brooks
L. Johnson
Miller
Hartwell
Jeanty
Henderson
Nicholson
Thurman?

DE:

Smith
Geathers
Rucker
Robinson
Fanene

DT:

Adams
Thornton
Peko
Myers
other Samoan

I think the defense is rather shaping up... on paper anyway. After looking at this, it's nice to know we have the corners shored up for the next 4 years (only got to worry about depth).

[quote name='Tigris' post='480090' date='Apr 30 2007, 12:26 PM']We'd be in good shape of Hartwell comes here and stays healthy... We would still be young and somewhat inexperienced, but we'd have depth at EVERY position on defense.

CB:

Joseph
O'Neal
Hall
Ratliff
G. Brooks

S:

Williams
Jackson
White
Kilmer/Jones/Busing

LB:

Brooks
L. Johnson
Miller
Hartwell
Jeanty
Henderson
Nicholson
Thurman?

DE:

Smith
Geathers
Rucker
Robinson
Fanene

DT:

Adams
Thornton
Peko
Myers
other Samoan

I think the defense is rather shaping up... on paper anyway. After looking at this, it's nice to know we have the corners shored up for the next 4 years (only got to worry about depth).[/quote]

no doubt we're improved. we gained a couple of good picks on the defensive side, we've matured some guys who should play better, and we'll hopefully get some injured players back on the field. then again, our competition appears to have improved. nobody stands still.

[quote name='bengaled' post='480075' date='Apr 30 2007, 12:05 PM']no, that was the BEST thing about drafting quinn that late. they stole that kid. in spite of what many here claim, he was under consideration for the top pick in the draft for a very long while....whether you agree with that assessment or not.[/quote]
If by cheap you mean contract terms then you are correct. As a "projected" top 10 pick would have cost a lot more. But the stains also gave away their #36 this year + their 1st rounder (really good shot that it'll be a top 10 again) next year.

I don't disagree with them making that move as I am personally a fan of Brady Quinn and would have taken him over Russell all day. I've seen Russel play too many games to be comfortable with that pick. But, I'm apparently in the minority as where he was rated in January is irrelevant... 21 NFL teams passed on him. Bottom line. If he doesn't pan out a 36 and a 1st rounder (better than 50/50 it'll be a top 10) are a pretty steep price (not taking contract dollars into account).

We'll see what the Browns fans think about it next February / March when they don't have a 1st rounder at all.

Guest oldschooler
Someone needs to tell bengaled, that if you click [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/style_images/1/p_mq_add.gif[/img] under the post you`re wanting to reply to, then hit [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/style_images/1/t_reply.gif[/img], you can respond to multiple posts (as many as you want) at once.

Oh forget it. I guess I just told him . . .

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='bengaled' post='480049' date='Apr 30 2007, 10:35 AM']you know there are two sides to every fence. why does a thoughtful post get bashed just because it's strays outside the boundaries of "go-bengals.com- happy-happy-joy joy"? i just don't get that.[/quote]

All he said was nice positive post. I hardly call that bashing it.

And "happy happy joy joy" isn`t something that exclusive to go-bengals.com,
or Bengals fans for that matter.

I for one am happy with this draft.
We got better at CB, we got younger and hopefully better at Safety.
We got a compliment to Rudi.
We got a QB that we can groom for the future, rather than
picking through the scrap heap, for a back-up QB every year.
And we got a DT that has tons of upside.

Add to that we got Ahmad, Rucker, Nicholson, Brazell, Tab Perry,
Eric Henderson and (hopefully) Odell Thruman. Those are all
players that contributed very little or nothing last year.

Things look a lot better than they did last season.
At least from where I`m sitting.

[quote name='bengaled' post='480075' date='Apr 30 2007, 11:05 AM']no, that was the BEST thing about drafting quinn that late. they stole that kid. in spite of what many here claim,[b] he was under consideration for the top pick in the draft for a very long while[/b]....whether you agree with that assessment or not.[/quote]

So was Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith and a host of other players that didn`t pan out.
I`m not saying Quinn will be a bust. But let`s not act like the Browns made
a "great" move yet either. The jury is just as much out on him being a bust,
as it is for him being great . . .

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
hobson updated and hartwells agent said the 1 year deal should be signed tonight or tomorrow.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote]Updated: 4-30-07, 7:55 p.m.

Ed Hartwell
A one-year deal for linebacker Ed Hartwell in Cincinnati is "expected to get worked out," and maybe as soon as Tuesday, agent, Harold Lewis said Monday night.

"The team knows and Eddie knows it's a perfect fit," Lewis said. "For years people have been talking about their offense. You bring in a guy like Eddie Hartwell, and suddenly people are talking about your defense. We're stil working on some things, but I expect we'll get it worked out."

Even head coach Marvin Lewis, usually mum on the subject of free agents, was expansive on the subject of Hartwell Sunday night after the Bengals didn't draft a linebacker this past weekend. Harold Lewis said his client is anxious for a reunion with Marvin Lewis. His old coach in Baltimore sounds like he's looking forward to it as well.

“It’s a possibility,” Marvin Lewis said. “He’s looking for a place to call home.”

Marvin Lewis joked that after the Ravens took Hartwell in the fourth round in his last year as defensive coordinator in 2001, he never let him play a down of defense.

"He must really like me," Lewis said.

Lewis said Sunday night he felt good about the seven newest Bengals, but admitted he’ll probably feel better next year when he figures the Bengals will have as many as four compensatory picks because of free-agent losses.

He noted the bushel held by AFC North rivals pissburgh and Baltimore that, along with Cleveland, Lewis thought had solid drafts.

“Those teams, with those picks get an opportunity to do that,” Lewis said. “I think we’ll sit here next year and feeling a little stronger about where you’re picking, No. 1, and having more picks, and you can fill on paper what are perceived needs.”

The Bengals did fill some of their more glaring needs by taking three of the most physical defensive backs in the draft, one of the top speed backs, and a fifth-round pick projected as the long-term backup quarterback.

“We can fill 11 spots next year; you guys will be happy,” Lewis told the media.

Lewis couldn’t help but gaze back at the second round when the Bengals drafted Auburn running back Kenny Irons with the 49th pick. That came at the end of a defensive run that whisked away the Michigan duo of inside linebacker David Harris and defensive end Lamarr Woodley just before the Bengals picked.

“The only thing that you can possibly do is allow people to (trade) up to your spot,” Lewis said of trades, “and if a guy you have in your grouping of three or four guys is there, then you’re probably going to stay there and pick the guy.

“If they’re not, then you have a chance to move back. The only time in the second were people really hot to move up, and when everybody got to our pick they quit calling because the guys we all coveted, which I think were all defensive players, were all gone off the board.”[/quote]

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6019"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6019[/url]

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='480388' date='Apr 30 2007, 07:31 PM']hobson updated and hartwells agent said the 1 year deal should be signed tonight or tomorrow.
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

[quote][size=5][b]Notes: Hartwell eyes 'perfect fit' [/b][/size]
By GEOFF HOBSON
April 29, 2007

Updated: 4-30-07, 7:55 p.m.

Ed Hartwell
A one-year deal for linebacker Ed Hartwell in Cincinnati is "expected to get worked out," and maybe as soon as Tuesday, agent, Harold Lewis said Monday night.

"The team knows and Eddie knows it's a perfect fit," Lewis said. "For years people have been talking about their offense. You bring in a guy like Eddie Hartwell, and suddenly people are talking about your defense. We're stil working on some things, but I expect we'll get it worked out."

Even head coach Marvin Lewis, usually mum on the subject of free agents, was expansive on the subject of Hartwell Sunday night after the Bengals didn't draft a linebacker this past weekend. Harold Lewis said his client is anxious for a reunion with Marvin Lewis. His old coach in Baltimore sounds like he's looking forward to it as well.

“It’s a possibility,” Marvin Lewis said. “He’s looking for a place to call home.”

Marvin Lewis joked that after the Ravens took Hartwell in the fourth round in his last year as defensive coordinator in 2001, he never let him play a down of defense.

"He must really like me," Lewis said.[/quote]

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6019"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6019[/url]

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='480388' date='Apr 30 2007, 07:31 PM']hobson updated and hartwells agent said the 1 year deal should be signed tonight or tomorrow.
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]Hot damn things just keep getting better.. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
THIS SIGNING MAKES ME SO HORNY!!!!!!

[img]http://www.themeproject.com/images/products/shirtF_meSoHorny_BL.jpg[/img]

[img]http://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/s176112.jpg[/img]

[img]http://spotorganics.com/images/products/thumb_mesohornygroup.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.fortifyingthefamily.com/freaking.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.nataliedee.com/040605/america-is-awesome.jpg[/img]

[quote name='bengaled' post='480070' date='Apr 30 2007, 10:00 AM']if the player you move up for is a bust, you didn't do your required homework and changes in your personnel dept. should be made so that doesn't happen again...especially when you're talking about a 2nd rounder.[/quote]
That's complete BS. You can do all the homework on a guy in the world and there are certainly no guarantees that ANY draftee, no matter their draft position, will become a productive NFL player. There really aren't any slam dunk picks. How well do you think Carson palmer would have been if we had drafted him in the 1990's instead of David Klingler? Behind the offensive line that team had?
Situations with teams drafting affect the players they draft as much as where they draft and their coaching philosophies.

[quote name='bengaled' post='480073' date='Apr 30 2007, 10:02 AM']in past years new england has moved up to grab dan graham, eugene wilson, matt light, ty warren, chad jackson. these are just a few off the top of my head. i know for a fact there are more. your argument holds no water.[/quote]
Sure it holds water. And what else is New England going to do but trade up? They always pick near the bottom of the draft order because they are a consistently good team. In fact, they have been the BEST team in the NFL since 2000. So if the BEST team does good things with the players they have and the moves they make in the draft, what makes yo uthink the lesser teams can replicate that?
And don't forget....Tom Brady was a later round pick (4th?)...did they reach for him, as some had said at the time?

[quote name='bengaled' post='480073' date='Apr 30 2007, 12:02 PM']in past years new england has moved up to grab dan graham, eugene wilson, matt light, ty warren, chad jackson. these are just a few off the top of my head. i know for a fact there are more. your argument holds no water.[/quote]

Did you actually watch New England last year? Chad Jackson had a horrible season and ended it by getting injured in the payoffs. Daniel Graham did OK but he’s nothing special. The rest of these guys played average, nothing exciting out of the whole bunch.

[quote name='Bengalpunk' post='480417' date='Apr 30 2007, 06:52 PM']Did you actually watch New England last year? Chad Jackson had a horrible season and ended it by getting injured in the payoffs. Daniel Graham did OK but he’s nothing special. The rest of these guys played average, nothing exciting out of the whole bunch.[/quote]
They did make the playoffs, though, in spite of all that. They are stacked at WR now, though.

Archived