You're a 70s kid if

Storm

You remember
- The New Zoo Revue
- Uncle Al (previously mentioned and I was on it once too)
- Captain Kangaroo
- Pong
- Playing cards stuck in the spokes of your bicycle tires with a wooden laundry pin
- GI Joe
- The tornado super outbreak
- The Big Red Machine
- Big Red Machine 8x10 photos given away at Kroger's
- Being able to get an autograph, for free, just by sitting over the dugout at Riverfront Stadium
- Romper Room
- The orignal airing of "KISS meets the Phantom of the Park"
- Shazam
- Elvis dying
- Charlie's Angels (with Farrah Fawcett)
- The 6 Million Dollar Man
- Isis

This list could go on for ages.
MULLY

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='500098' date='Jun 14 2007, 12:23 AM']You remember
- The New Zoo Revue
- Captain Kangaroo
- Pong
- Playing cards stuck in the spokes of your bicycle tires with a wooden laundry pin
- GI Joe
[size=3][b]- The tornado super outbreak[/b][/size]
- The Big Red Machine
- Big Red Machine 8x10 photos given away at Kroger's
- Being able to get an autograph, for free, just by sitting over the dugout at Riverfront Stadium
- Romper Room
- The orignal airing of "KISS meets the Phantom of the Park"
- Shazam
- Elvis dying
- Charlie's Angels (with Farrah Fawcett)
- The 6 Million Dollar Man
- Isis
MULLY[/quote]

April 3rd 1974

Never forget it, lived in Newport and could see one across the river, remember being huddled togther in the basement scared out of my fucking mind

[quote name='Storm' post='500101' date='Jun 14 2007, 09:29 AM']April 3rd 1974

Never forget it, lived in Newport and could see one across the river, remember being huddled togther in the basement scared out of my fucking mind[/quote]

Yeah, I think we did this thread once a long time ago. I lived in Western Hills and a funnel cloud went right over our apartment. I'll never forget that shit. To this day I get queasy if I even hear "A tornado watch is in effect until......."
MULLY

Forgot a big one

- Beverly Hills burning down (my mom actually had tickets to see John Davidson that night and ended up getting sick that day and not being able to go. Her friend that was supposed to go with her got all pissed off and canceled going too. Needless to say she thanked her the next day)

MULLY

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='500093' date='Jun 13 2007, 08:13 PM']Nah, that ain't right. McAlpin's never had any connection to Shillito's. Shilito's became Lazarus and then was eventually bought out by Macy's. At least some of them were. Pogues was a totally different store. Actually there was a Pogues downtown on 5th street and Shillito's was on 7th and Race. Dilliards was also an independant store that was opened by John Dilliard. Dilliard's did acquire a few McAlpins stores in the 90's but they had nothing to do with Shillito's.
MULLY
my grandma worked for Shillito's/Lazarus for 40 years[/quote]

:doh:

[color="#FF0000"][b]Yep thats right, I got confused.

BTW, you should have made a video rebuttal. :lol: [/b][/color]

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='500103' date='Jun 14 2007, 12:34 AM']Forgot a big one

- Beverly Hills burning down (my mom actually had tickets to see John Davidson that night and ended up getting sick that day and not being able to go. Her friend that was supposed to go with her got all pissed off and canceled going too. Needless to say she thanked her the next day)

MULLY[/quote]

My dad fought that fire while being a fireman for Newport, me and a friend went there and seen it live actually getting on TV, my friends mom seen us on the news and her and my mom came out and got us since we weren't suppossed to leave the neighborhood.

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='500098' date='Jun 13 2007, 08:23 PM']You remember
- The New Zoo Revue
- Captain Kangaroo
- Pong
- GI Joe
- The tornado super outbreak
[b]- The Big Red Machine[/b][/quote]

I mentioned this already, subtlely.
[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='500098' date='Jun 13 2007, 08:23 PM']- Big Red Machine 8x10 photos given away at Kroger's
- Romper Room
[b]- The orignal airing of "KISS meets the Phantom of the Park"[/b][/quote]
Good stuff.
[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='500098' date='Jun 13 2007, 08:23 PM']- Shazam
- Elvis dying
- Charlie's Angels (with [s]Farrah Fawcett[/s]Cherly Ladd)[/quote]
I thought Cheryl was [b]MUCH[/b] hotter. Cheryl was my #1 hottest female for years.
[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='500098' date='Jun 13 2007, 08:23 PM']- The 6 Million Dollar Man
- Isis
MULLY[/quote]

Yes, it could.

You know, Jason, at this point in my life I'm not a big baseball fan but when I was a kid the Red's were the shit. God only knows how many times I was at Riverfront watching the Big Red Machine do their thing. Johnny Bench, Tony Pérez, Joe Morgan, Pete Rose, Dave Concepción, George Foster, César Gerónimo, Ken Griffey, and Sparky Anderson running the whole show. For what it's worth George Foster was my all time favorite Red. I remember back in the late 70's going downtown to the Red's gift shop, I seem to recall it being downtown near Fountain Square somewhere (at that time) and buying a George Foster jersey with that big 15 across the back. I wore that shirt to death when I was a kid. I was 10 in 1978 so it must have been around that time or a little before.

I also had those 8x10's, that I mentioned before, that they gave away at Kroger's. There was a new one each week. I think you got it from buying Barq's creme soda or some shit like that. My grandma would get them for me each week and when I finally had all of them my grandpa took me to Riverfront and we were sitting right over the dugout. I got all of those photos signed before the game. Unfortunately I have no idea whatever happend to those photos. If I could turn back time I'd put them away somewhere really safe. How cool would it be to have those framed and hanging up now?
MULLY

[quote name='sneaky' post='499544' date='Jun 13 2007, 09:29 AM'][color="#FF0000"][b]You are a 70s kid if.......

_You remember it to be pretty common to see parents beat the shit out of their kids in public.

_You remember "BP" used to be called "SOHIO"

_You remember the "Uncle Al" show.

_You remember that by 2AM on most of the TV stations, there was the national anthem and then static.

_You remember wanting to bone Lynda Carter. (Wonder Woman)

_You remember the TV themed school lunch boxes.

_You remember when Micheal Jackson looked normal.

_You remember "Mork'N'Mindy", "Simon and Simon" and "That's Incredible"

_You remember "Regular" and "Unleaded" gas.

_You remember drive-in cinemas.

_You remember when Dilliards used to be McAlpins and McAlpins used to be Shillitos and Shillitos used to be Pogues.

_You remember stores in the Cincinnati area named "Steinbergs", "Gold Circle", "Swallens" and "Children's Palace".

_You remember fast food joints named "Burger Chef" and "Roy Rogers".

_You remember when a "Big Boy" and a "Big Mac" were fucking delicious.

_You remember when there was no such thing as "pizza delivery"

_You remember how pissed you were when you discovered the record you just bought was scratched or warped.

_You know the difference between a "12" and a "45" when it comes to music.
[/b][/color][/quote]

Oh my Gawd!!!.....remember Zantigos?

[quote name='Storm' post='500149' date='Jun 14 2007, 10:45 AM']Wasn't that the 80s? :whistle:
How about Roy Rogers Roast Beef? :headbang:[/quote]

Nice recall, man. There used to be one down there in Covington just below the I-75 bridge. Are they all gone now?
MULLY

Quick search on Google shows one in Mt. Carmel

Location Address
Cincinnati - Mt. Carmel 474 Roney Lane, Cincinnati, OH 45244

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='500150' date='Jun 14 2007, 01:49 AM']Nice recall, man. There used to be one down there in Covington just below the I-75 bridge. Are they all gone now?
MULLY

Quick search on Google shows one in Mt. Carmel

Location Address
Cincinnati - Mt. Carmel 474 Roney Lane, Cincinnati, OH 45244[/quote]

Yeah, I go there a couple times a year whenever I'm in that neck of the woods, still tastes the same but a lot smaller sammich

Guest Enon Bengal
[quote name='Storm' post='499380' date='Jun 12 2007, 09:33 PM']You had three channels of tv (4 if you were lucky enough to pick up channel 19)

You played outside in the summer because you never heard of A/C

Your neighbor could whip your ass then your parents would whip your ass for embarrassing them

Your teacher could whip your ass then guess what?

[b]You could get a football, basketball or baseball game together any time of day or night[/b]
You've heard the rumor that Bob Shreve was gay

You thought the Cool Ghoul was cool[/quote]

What ever happened to those days?

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='500139' date='Jun 13 2007, 09:29 PM']You know, Jason, at this point in my life I'm not a big baseball fan but when I was a kid the Red's were the shit. God only knows how many times I was at Riverfront watching the Big Red Machine do their thing. Johnny Bench, Tony Pérez, Joe Morgan, Pete Rose, Dave Concepción, George Foster, César Gerónimo, Ken Griffey, and Sparky Anderson running the whole show. For what it's worth George Foster was my all time favorite Red. I remember back in the late 70's going downtown to the Red's gift shop, I seem to recall it being downtown near Fountain Square somewhere (at that time) and buying a George Foster jersey with that big 15 across the back. I wore that shirt to death when I was a kid. I was 10 in 1978 so it must have been around that time or a little before.

I also had those 8x10's, that I mentioned before, that they gave away at Kroger's. There was a new one each week. I think you got it from buying Barq's creme soda or some shit like that. My grandma would get them for me each week and when I finally had all of them my grandpa took me to Riverfront and we were sitting right over the dugout. I got all of those photos signed before the game. Unfortunately I have no idea whatever happend to those photos. If I could turn back time I'd put them away somewhere really safe. How cool would it be to have those framed and hanging up now?
MULLY[/quote]

I have this pic hanging over my desk.

[img]http://aycu27.webshots.com/image/19106/2004942275501233099_rs.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Jason' post='500177' date='Jun 14 2007, 11:30 AM']I have this pic hanging over my desk.

[img]http://aycu27.webshots.com/image/19106/2004942275501233099_rs.jpg[/img][/quote]

Ahh, now *that* is Suweeettt!!!
MULLY

[quote name='Storm' post='500153' date='Jun 13 2007, 09:53 PM']Yeah, I go there a couple times a year whenever I'm in that neck of the woods, still tastes the same but a lot smaller sammich[/quote]

That Roy Rogers was my second job ever, started there in '78, and I worked at the Frisch's Big Boy right across the street after that.

I lived about 5 miles down SR 32, from that intersection. Anyone remember when Beechmont Mall was the ONLY mall?

I remember all of these things... and Jerry Springer being mayor (YUCK)... anyone remember why Uncle Al got shitcanned?

I was watching the show when he thought they went to a commercial and said to Captain Wendy "That oughta keep the little bastards happy".

Hilarious... I'm also the same way about tornados since 4/3/74... I was in Xenia at the time, cutting my Great Aunts grass... SHUDDER!

[quote name='USNBENGAL the Original' post='502089' date='Jun 19 2007, 08:45 AM']Hilarious... I'm also the same way about tornados since 4/3/74... I was in Xenia at the time, cutting my Great Aunts grass... SHUDDER![/quote]

Damn! Xenia - that placed was destroyed. F5 Tornado. And I too will never forget that day. A Tornado went right over our house and ripped off our awning and part of the roof (we were eating dinner), and touched ground about a halfmile later.

Some good stuff in this thread. A couple of adds:

Remember when you used to go to the chili parlor and not Skyline or GoldStar....

Remember when dad would go down to the local bar and fill his gallon jug of beer to bring home and listen to the ballgame and hang with the neighbors.....

Remember when neighbors used to hangout in the front yard / porch and not the back....

"Hot Child In The City" was my favorite song when I was 7.
Kasey Kasem was the shit. I remember huddling around my radio to listen.
I liked Andy Gibb. "Shadow Dancing" was the first record I bought with my own money.
I found Kansas' "Point Of Know Return" in someone's garbage in 1978 and still have it.
I lived in Hawaii then. Craziness. My family and I would go to the beach EVERY Saturday and Sunday, as there wasn't one any farther away than a 45 minute drive.
Killed lots of Portuguese Man O' Wars by fishing them out of the water with my boogie board and burying them in the sand.

[quote name='Phatcat' post='502684' date='Jun 20 2007, 10:29 PM']Remember when dad would go down to the local bar and fill his gallon jug of beer to bring home and listen to the ballgame and hang with the neighbors.....

Remember when neighbors used to hangout in the front yard / porch and not the back....[/quote]

The neighborhood lifelong friends is a thing of the past, most people never really get to know their neighbors anymore becasue of the fast paced lifestyles that we live now, most people only plan to own their home for around 5-10 years before moving on. in the past people bought their homes with the intention of living there the rest of their lives.

[quote name='Storm' post='502745' date='Jun 20 2007, 08:17 PM']The neighborhood lifelong friends is a thing of the past, most people never really get to know their neighbors anymore becasue of the fast paced lifestyles that we live now, most people only plan to own their home for around 5-10 years before moving on. in the past people bought their homes with the intention of living there the rest of their lives.[/quote]

Sadly, what you say is mostly true.

I've been extremely lucky since I retired from the Navy. Our best friends are our neighbors... we do all the holidays, anniversaries, birthdays, vacations, and everything with them. We moved here to Virginia Beach in 2003, and immediately hit it off with the two neighbors. There are 4 families that do everything together. We even have a neighborhood dinner night every Thursday!
It's been awesome... and definitely a blast from the past that you don't hardly see any more. All 4 of our families don't ever plan to move again.
We've been blessed and I just wish everyone else could experience living like this. It's just so damn great to know that my neighbors have my back & I have theirs. I turned down a six figure a year job in DC so that I could remain here... where my family is... because we love our friends so much.

[quote name='USNBENGAL the Original' post='502785' date='Jun 20 2007, 07:55 PM']Sadly, what you say is mostly true.

I've been extremely lucky since I retired from the Navy. Our best friends are our neighbors... we do all the holidays, anniversaries, birthdays, vacations, and everything with them. We moved here to Virginia Beach in 2003, and immediately hit it off with the two neighbors. There are 4 families that do everything together. We even have a neighborhood dinner night every Thursday!
It's been awesome... and definitely a blast from the past that you don't hardly see any more. All 4 of our families don't ever plan to move again.
We've been blessed and I just wish everyone else could experience living like this. It's just so damn great to know that my neighbors have my back & I have theirs. I turned down a six figure a year job in DC so that I could remain here... where my family is... because we love our friends so much.[/quote]
That's what the fruition of your hard labor (military service) is supposed to be about.
Nice job!

Archived