Injuries hit Bengals

[quote][size=4]Notes: Injuries hit Bengals [/size]
By GEOFF HOBSON
July 31, 2007

Updated: 4:30 p.m.

Blizzard
For the second straight day the Bengals suffered a scary situation with a tight end. Bobby Blizzard was strapped to a board on his stomach, but he does not have a spinal injury and it is not a life-threatening problem. But he may have a signifcant lower-back injury and was transported to Georgetown Community Hospital.

Blizzard was participating in a full-padded practice and collapsed after making a block on a running play from scrimmage.

Blizzard played for the Cologne Centurions of NFL Europa in 2007. He led the Centurions in receptions (38), receiving yardage (494) and touchdowns (six, all receiving). His most recent NFL activity was at Baltimore, where he spent the last three games of 2005 on the Ravens practice squad. He also spent the entire 2004 season on Arizona's practice squad. He originally signed with pissburgh as a college free agent out of North Carolina in 2004.

Blizzard's injury came a day after tight end Sean Mulcahy suffered a spine/neck injury while makinhg a block, but he is back on campus with use of his extremities and no paralysis.

KIEFT INJURED: Offensive tackle Adam Kieft, who missed the last two seasons with a knee injury, was carted off the field Thursday with what appeared to be a foot injury. Kieft was coming off a stress fracture in his foot. It wasn't immediately known if it was the same foot.

Thurman
THURMAN REQUEST SENT: John Michels, the attorney for Bengals linebacker Odell Thurman, has sent a letter to the NFL Players Association requesting that the union appeal Thurman's second one-year suspension from the NFL.

"We believe that he's jumped through the hoops that he was asked to jump through and that he's a good candidate for reinstatement," Michels said Tuesday.

The NFLPA has 30 days to notify commissioner Roger Goodell's office of an appeal that Michels terms "an uphill battle."

Because of the strict privacy guidelines of the league's substance abuse policy, Michels said it's "a black box process" for not only the public but for him.

Michels says he's not aware of "any definable event" that has prevented Thurman from being reinstated. He says the league may be working off factors that can't be quantified.

"We may be talking about a gradient, a slope of behavior that past a certain point he's not reinstated. But without a definable event, I don't know," Michels said.

"I think our position has to be, ?Look, he sat out for a year and he did what was asked,' '' Michels said. "The reinstatement policy says to look at conduct over the period of suspension. Our position is that it was good enough to get back in. If they think it's a problem, then doesn't it make more sense to put him back in the league where he's around the club and teammates can provide a little reinforcement? If the program is designed to provide help for those who need it, I'm not sure this is helping."

Michels said he's not aware if an incident in Thurman's hometown of Monticello, Ga., last month figured in the decision. Two men accused Thurman of assault at an early-morning party, but dropped the charges before the case came before a magistrate.

The Cincinnati Enquirer reported that the NFL did ask Jasper County officlals for information about that case.

"Odell was surprised and he's very disappointed," Michels said of his client's current mindframe. "I think right now he's taking a deep breath and asking, ?What next?' "[/quote]

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6158"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6158[/url]

We look kind of silly for not acquiring a bonafide TE or not retaining Stewart (or was it Kelly?) now. Jeez, two TE's in two days!
And Kieft, man, I just don't see him making it on the team anymore. I see an injury settlement. I feel bad for him.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='519445' date='Jul 31 2007, 05:07 PM'][b]We look kind of silly for not acquiring a bonafide TE or not retaining Stewart [/b](or was it Kelly?) now. Jeez, two TE's in two days!
And Kieft, man, I just don't see him making it on the team anymore. I see an injury settlement. I feel bad for him.[/quote]

not really, its two TE's who probably weren't even going to make the team. Besides, a bonafide TE has just as much chance of getting injured.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='519445' date='Jul 31 2007, 05:07 PM']We look kind of silly for not acquiring a bonafide TE or not retaining Stewart (or was it Kelly?) now. Jeez, two TE's in two days!
And Kieft, man, I just don't see him making it on the team anymore. I see an injury settlement. I feel bad for him.[/quote]

wuh?

we kept kelly and he is still healthy, stewert did a buncha nadda last year..

what exactly are we missing out on currently?

[quote name='GoBengals' post='519448' date='Jul 31 2007, 03:09 PM']wuh?

we kept kelly and he is still healthy, stewert did a buncha nadda last year..

what exactly are we missing out on currently?[/quote]
Depth. Stewart was a quality blocker. Two neck/back/spinal injuries in two days to a position that we have exactly ONE proven player at is never good, right?
If Kelly gets hurt during the season, then what?

[quote name='Bunghole' post='519451' date='Jul 31 2007, 05:13 PM']Depth. Stewart was a quality blocker. Two neck/back/spinal injuries in two days to a position that we have exactly ONE proven player at is never good, right?
If Kelly gets hurt during the season, then what?[/quote]

i dont think stewert was a good blocker.. i think kelly was the better blocker...

if kelly gets hurt, toss stacy andrews in there on the end. :mellow:

[quote name='GoBengals' post='519454' date='Jul 31 2007, 03:18 PM']i dont think stewert was a good blocker.. i think kelly was the better blocker...
if kelly gets hurt, toss stacy andrews in there on the end. :mellow:[/quote]
Everything I ever read regarding those two TE's indicated to me that Stewart was the better blocker and Kelly the better receiver. Perhaps my memory is fuzzy on that and maybe it was the other way around. Either way, it's a bit concerning, at least to me.
And the Andrews idea...you so crazy....

[quote name='Bunghole' post='519456' date='Jul 31 2007, 05:21 PM']Everything I ever read regarding those two TE's indicated to me that Stewart was the better blocker and Kelly the better receiver. Perhaps my memory is fuzzy on that and maybe it was the other way around. Either way, it's a bit concerning, at least to me.
And the Andrews idea...you so crazy....[/quote]

perhaps u are correct... either way, im not too concerned.... a TE injury is about as concerning to me as a report that jeff rowes accuracy isnt as good as palmers.

we use the TE so little, ..

[quote][size=3][b]TE Blizzard taken in ambulance [/b][/size]

For the second day in a row, the Bengals had a backup tight end taken off the practice field in an ambulance.

Just minutes ago, Bobby Blizzard, a first-year NFL player from North Carolina, suffered a lower back injury during a live goal-line drill. He was face down on the grass for several minutes, but he was moving his legs, head and neck.

Blizzard appeared to get twisted on the edge of the pile and tossed back first on top of a couple of other players.

He was transported to Georgetown Community Hospital, Bengals public relations director Jack Brennan said. The injury was not to the spine or neck. It was a football injury to the lower back and might be serious, Brennan said.

On Monday, backup tight end Sean Mulcahy was removed from the field on a back board and taken to the University of Kentucky trauma center. He returned to camp Monday night to rest in his room. There was no update available Tuesday on his condition.[/quote]

[url="http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/"]http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/[/url]

[quote name='GoBengals' post='519458' date='Jul 31 2007, 03:23 PM']perhaps u are correct... either way, im not too concerned.... a TE injury is about as concerning to me as a report that jeff rowes accuracy isnt as good as palmers.

we use the TE so little, ..[/quote]
See, that's just not true. The TE's are VERY important in our blocking scheme as they are big enough to engage an end or linebacker yet agile enough to edge block. I know you meant in the passing game in terms of receiving, but they are quite valuable to the offense we run, whether we're running or passing (although I don't think we employ the TE in the 3 WR set though, which we use a LOT).

[quote name='Bunghole' post='519456' date='Jul 31 2007, 05:21 PM']Everything I ever read regarding those two TE's indicated to me that Stewart was the better blocker and Kelly the better receiver. Perhaps my memory is fuzzy on that and maybe it was the other way around. Either way, it's a bit concerning, at least to me.

Reggie Kelly is widely considered the best blocking TE in the league.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='519481' date='Jul 31 2007, 03:41 PM']Reggie Kelly is widely considered the best blocking TE in the league.[/quote]
I'm certainly not arguing that he isn't good, but he's about the only decent TE we've got. Just a little worried about that position group is all.

[quote name='CJBESTINAFC' post='519443' date='Jul 31 2007, 05:04 PM']Yeah lets just report on bad things like injuries. We don't want to talk about what's going on in training camp, like who looks impressive, or roster battles.[/quote]

:rolleyes:

There's plenty of reporting about who's doing good...

Would you rather not hear about who has gotten injured?

Kelley is a much better blocker...

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='519493' date='Jul 31 2007, 03:55 PM']Kelley is a much better blocker...[/quote]
Like i said, that may be so, but injuries to a group where we have exactly ONE proven player are certainly enough to concern me.

Lets just hope the training camp fodder absorbs the injuries and the starters and second stringers are left healthy. Jeez, this is alot of injuries for just a few days worth of practice... Either we have the clumsiest team in the league over the past couple years, or the most glass Joes. How many players, throughout the season can possibly get hurt? It really doesnt seem like other teams lose as many important players as we had last year, and this year its already starting at t he bottom of the roster and may work its way up. The world is also ending.

BTW, when I saw that it said "white injured" or whatever, I immediately had my stomach sink as I thought it meant Marvin White. Then I saw it was just Stan White, and said Oh. OK. haha

[quote name='Who Dey Time' post='519438' date='Jul 31 2007, 04:56 PM']At least they are not starters. Washington, Jacksonville, and San Francisco have already had starters go down w/ significant injuries.

Feel bad for Kieft though. Seems like dude is snake bit.[/quote]

Minnesota had Chester Taylor leave on a cart. Sucks for them.

San Fran doesnt have any significant injuries that I know of. Gore knicked a hand bone but will be fine a few weeks....

[quote name='big_dish' post='519508' date='Jul 31 2007, 06:19 PM']Minnesota had Chester Taylor leave on a cart. Sucks for them.

San Fran doesnt have any significant injuries that I know of. Gore knicked a hand bone but will be fine a few weeks....[/quote]

I thought Gore broke a bone in his hand.

[quote name='mongo' post='519511' date='Jul 31 2007, 04:21 PM']I thought Gore broke a bone in his hand.[/quote]
He did. And I'm sorry for the pain and suffering that my son inflicted on your member account!
Nice new sig/avatar, though.... :(
And now that you're "Mongo" instead of "Mongoloido", I can't help but think of this:

[size=6]"Candygram for Mongo....Candy gram for Mongo!"
"Mongo like candy!"
<<Boom>>[/size]
[img]http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/2281/mongocl8.jpg[/img]

[quote name='mongo' post='519511' date='Jul 31 2007, 06:21 PM']I thought Gore broke a bone in his hand.[/quote][quote name='big_dish' post='519508' date='Jul 31 2007, 06:19 PM']Minnesota had Chester Taylor leave on a cart. Sucks for them.San Fran doesnt have any significant injuries that I know of. [b]Gore knicked a hand bone [/b]but will be fine a few weeks....[/quote]He is only sitting out a few weeks....thats what I meant...

[b]And the Andrews idea...you so crazy....[/b][/quote]

so crazy that Andrews lined up in the TE slot a number of times last year.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='519531' date='Jul 31 2007, 04:54 PM']so crazy that Andrews lined up in the TE slot a number of times last year.[/quote]
I meant that if an injury to Kelly happened that the idea of Andrews as a permanent replacement because the rest of our TE's were either unworthy or injured was absurd...you smug, fact-presenting BASTARD!
:lol:

[quote name='Bunghole' post='519514' date='Jul 31 2007, 06:25 PM']He did. And I'm sorry for the pain and suffering that my son inflicted on your member account!
Nice new sig/avatar, though.... :(
And now that you're "Mongo" instead of "Mongoloido", I can't help but think of this:

[size=6]"Candygram for Mongo....Candy gram for Mongo!"
"Mongo like candy!"
<<Boom>>[/size]
[img]http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/2281/mongocl8.jpg[/img][/quote]

That was your boy who caused the ruckus? Ah well. No worries. Everything turned out just fine. :)

Funny you should post that Blazing Saddles bit. I started using mongoloido in my early days of online gaming. The game I played had claymores, which became affectionately known as "candygrams" because of my proclivity for stepping on them... The candygram for Mr. Mongo references have meant more than the DEVO reference for many years now. It's about time I just stuck with mongo. :)

Archived