Windows steals 20% of your bandwidth

bengalrick

[url="http://www.metacafe.com/watch/789335/windows_steals_20_of_your_network_bandwidth/"]click here[/url]

its easy as hell to do, and when i changed it, before i restarted i went to [url="http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/"]check my bandwidth[/url] and i got 3815 out of chicago and 3117 out of NY (870 for both on upload)... i restarted and checked it again and got up to 10285 for NY and around 9000 for chicago (921 upload)... i can't wait to see how much it helps with p2p...

[quote name='GoBengals' post='557287' date='Sep 25 2007, 11:24 AM']some upload speed boost would be nice, most sites dont give me the speeds more than RR turbo gives anyway... but very cool.. thanks for sharing.

some people will have better slingbox picture from me now...[/quote]

yeah, it didn't help upload at all..

[quote name='GoBengals' post='557287' date='Sep 25 2007, 11:24 AM']some upload speed boost would be nice, most sites dont give me the speeds more than RR turbo gives anyway... but very cool.. thanks for sharing.

some people will have better slingbox picture from me now...[/quote]

You have a slingbox? :o Might there be any way someone without cable, like myself, would be able to access it? :mellow:

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='557321' date='Sep 25 2007, 01:23 PM']You have a slingbox? :o Might there be any way someone without cable, like myself, would be able to access it? :mellow:[/quote]

it sucks the bandwidth of my internet like a motherfucker, so if you up at 3am or something feel free, but if im online, its a pain on my end. im pondering getting 2 more and putting them at my sisters and parents houses, they never get online, so they would never know. then i'd ahve 4 total at my disposal.

if your up all night, i can give you the details, but most of the time im here online and would just unplug it all the time :mellow:

[quote name='Bunghole' post='557562' date='Sep 25 2007, 08:09 PM']Why do all the comments say that basically this is all BS and the only "stolen" bandwidth is during an actual Microsoft update download (which doesn't happen all that often)?[/quote]

i cant imagine why it would hold bandwidth when its not downloading anything...

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='557602' date='Sep 25 2007, 07:36 PM']you wanker <_<[/quote]That said, anyone buy your MNF tickets yet?If no, press 1 for "Give Them To Bung For Free"If yes. press 2 for "Fuck Yourself".[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='557606' date='Sep 25 2007, 07:39 PM']RTFM!It's not exactly rocket science, bung ^_^[/quote]I seriously get a cloudy image of the video...what am I missing?

[quote name='Bunghole' post='557607' date='Sep 26 2007, 02:40 AM']That said, anyone buy your MNF tickets yet?If no, press 1 for "Give Them To Bung For Free"If yes. press 2 for "Fuck Yourself".I seriously get a cloudy image of the video...what am I missing?[/quote]
Dunno. I had not problem with it. It was quick, easy and painless, and seems to work. My d/l bandwidth jumped to about 2 mb/s.

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='557614' date='Sep 25 2007, 07:45 PM']Dunno. I had not problem with it. It was quick, easy and painless, and seems to work. My d/l bandwidth jumped to about 2 mb/s.[/quote]
So that's a "no" on the free tix and a "fuck you Yank" on the vid...typical English behavior.
Nothing like acting all superior after we kicked your asses twice in wars...
And now you're our "ally"...yeah right.
Fuck the UK....they are after our intrawebz....

[quote name='Bunghole' post='557621' date='Sep 26 2007, 02:55 AM']So that's a "no" on the free tix and a "fuck you Yank" on the vid...typical English behavior.
Nothing like acting all superior after we kicked your asses twice in wars...
And now you're our "ally"...yeah right.
Fuck the UK....they are after our intrawebz....[/quote]
That's internets to you :pointlaff:

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='557624' date='Sep 25 2007, 07:58 PM']That's internets to you :pointlaff:[/quote]
Whatever you want to call it man, at least an American, Al Gore, invented it!
Fucking soccer hooligans....why don't you go to the pub and rot your teeth some more?

bung, microsoft pretty much allocates that they always have access to 20% of your bandwidth... trust me, it made uk's and my bandwidth go through the roof...

what you need to do is type gpedit.msc then go to adminstrative templates - network - qos packet scheduler... once your there, on the right side you'll see a few values and one is "limit reservable bandwidth"... right click and go to properties... click enabled and change the 20% value to anything you want.. I said fuck it, and put it at 0%... then click ok and restart your computer... then your done and your bandwidth will probably double....

[quote name='bengalrick' post='557701' date='Sep 26 2007, 07:41 AM']bung, microsoft pretty much allocates that they always have access to 20% of your bandwidth... trust me, it made uk's and my bandwidth go through the roof...

what you need to do is type gpedit.msc then go to adminstrative templates - network - qos packet scheduler... once your there, on the right side you'll see a few values and one is "limit reservable bandwidth"... right click and go to properties... click enabled and change the 20% value to anything you want.. I said fuck it, and put it at 0%... then click ok and restart your computer... then your done and your bandwidth will probably double....[/quote]

i tried the gpedit.msc thingand nothing comes up... im on vista home premium, but the demo was on vista so im a little confused.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='557764' date='Sep 26 2007, 12:15 PM']i tried the gpedit.msc thingand nothing comes up... im on vista home premium, but the demo was on vista so im a little confused.[/quote]

yeah, thats weird... i have xp media edition and it worked for me...

<edit>

here is some stuff i found on that go:

[url="http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/570289-gpedit-msc-missing.html"]click here[/url]

[i]The only versions that have group policy are the domain-based versions:

• Windows Vista, Small Business Edition

• Windows Vista, Professional Edition

• Windows Vista, Enterprise Edition

• Windows Vista, Ultimate

• Windows Server "Longhorn" [/i]

---

[i]There are a lot of tweaking tools that you can use. Basically speaking, if you need to do things that policy allows, you need to get the OS that has policy installed.

Vista Manager, X-Setup, TweakVI, and TweakNow PowerPack have Vista versions. Group Policy snap-ins are just an easy way of implementing registry changes that can be done manually in most cases. [/i]

here is the answer, i assume it applies to the home versions of vista also:

[quote]The problem is that XP Home edition is not made to connect to a domain. This is why the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) is not available.

And even if you installed the GPEdit.msc XP Home doesnt support all the same features as Pro does, so the policy you might be looking for may not be there.

There is a way to install the gpedit.msc...but you need a couple of files from the Windows XP Pro version.[/quote]

Archived