Church full of douchebags has to pay up

CincyInDC

yay!

As much as I love freedom of speech, this is a just decision. If these clowns want to protest, they can do it on Fountain Square or the National Mall...not at a freakin' funeral.

[url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/31/AR2007103102278.html"]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7103102278.html[/url]

[quote]Jury Awards Father $2.9 Million in Funeral Protesters Case

By ALEX DOMINGUEZ
Associated Press
Wednesday, October 31, 2007; 4:04 PM

BALTIMORE (AP) -- A federal jury on Wednesday awarded the father of a fallen Marine $2.9 million in compensatory damages after finding a fundamentalist Kansas church and three of its leaders liable for invasion of privacy and intent to inflict emotional distress for picketing the Marine's funeral in 2006.

The jury was to begin deliberating the size of punitive damages after receiving further instructions, although U.S. District Judge Richard Bennett noted the size of the compensatory award "far exceeds the net worth of the defendents," according to financial statements filed with the court.

Albert Snyder of York, Pa., sued the Westboro Baptist Church for unspecified monetary damages after members staged a demonstration at the March 2006 funeral of his son, Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder, who was killed in Iraq.

Church members routinely picket funerals of military personnel killed in Iraq and Afghanistan, carrying signs such as "Thank God for dead soldiers" and "God hates fags."

A number of states have passed laws regarding funeral protests, and Congress has passed a law prohibiting such protests at federal cemeteries, but the Maryland lawsuit is believed to be the first filed by the family of a fallen serviceman.

Snyder's suit named the church, its founder the Rev. Fred Phelps and his two daughters Shirley Phelps-Roper and Rebecca Phelps-Davis, 46. The jury began deliberating Tuesday after two days of testimony.

The York, Pa. man claimed the protests intruded upon what should have been a private ceremony and sullied his memory of the event.

The church members testified they are following their religious beliefs by spreading the message that the deaths of soldiers are due to the nation's tolerance of homosexuality.

Their attorneys argued in closing statements Tuesday that the burial was a public event and that even abhorrent points of view are protected by the First Amendment, which guarantees freedom of speech and religion.

The judge said the church's financial statements that had been unsealed could be released to the plaintiffs.

Earlier, church members staged a demonstration outside the federal courthouse, which is located on a busy thoroughfare a few blocks west of Baltimore's Inner Harbor, while passing motorists honked and shouted insults.

Church founder Fred Phelps held a sign reading "God is your enemy," while his daughter Shirley Phelps-Roper stood on an American flag while carrying a sign that read "God hates fag enablers." Members of the group sang "God Hates America,"' to the tune of "God Bless America."

Snyder sobbed when he heard the verdict while members of the church greeted the news with tightlipped smiles.[/quote]

[b]I will preface this with the fact that I would be happy to see this entire group of "God Hates Fags" assholes shot by a father at a funeral ... however with that said ... I am not sure I agree with the decision.

In these cases they stood across the street on public property ... and I would argue that despite how idiotic and hurtful their claims are ... that they probably have a constitutional right to make them (although it is clear this admin wipes it's ass with that 'silly document'). I also worry that this could set a precedent for stifling "legitimate" political protest. [/b]

These people bother me; I view them more as a cult than a church.

God does hate; sin. Homosexuality, the act, is what God cannot look upon. The homosexual can repent and their
actions are forgiven as if they never even happend. (I know, some people have a problem with this concept).

These people appear to me are trying to associate a percieved tolerance by our government toward homosexuals;
with death of soldiers because they are part of the government. This logic is perverse and assinine.

This pissess me off the more I think of it; in respect to the friend I lost over the summer in Iraq. Words do not do justice in describing this man,so I want try with only stating he was Hero. In the spring of this year, his whole family accepted christ. He went to Iraq as he did to assist the victims of Katrina, to make a difference (improving thelives of everyday Iraqi's). Yes, that may sound like a cliche, but is so true concerning his nature. He did not have to go (already being there with COMCAM), but he volounteered, was screened and accepted to a SEAL Team assignment.

On the subject of "Freedom of Speech" and as strong supporter ofthis right, I too approach this ruling with slight hesitation.
But, from what is reported, the Hillsboro Group (to me that's what they are) even though on Public property; could be heard during the services. To me, they did infringe on a private occassion and crossed the line.

Now, I did here something this week along the lines that as a government employee, Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder could be considered a public figure and treated as such. :unsure:

I want these motherfuckers to be ruined in this life AND the next. Where are we as a society where in the name of freedom of speech we allow assholes like this to deny a family the right to a private funeral service?
This shouldn't even have ever been a lawsuit...people should just know better than to act this way. Especially since these fucks are supposedly Christian and they are knowingly hurting other people's feelings in a time of grieving.
I have absolutely ZERO sympathy for this kind of behavior, and whether it's protected under the Constitution or not.
And their argument about "God hates fags, therefore he kills US soldiers" is just....stupid beyond any realm of reason.
Why then didn't they protest at the funerals of Katrina victims with Jerry Falwell? Since, you know, God was punishing the USA with a hurricane unleashead upon poor people because the US government tolerates gays. You know.
Fuck these people. If this were to happen at a funeral of a friend or loved one that lost their life in the line of duty, I'd be on trial for murder.
Damn this shit makes my blood boil.
Which I guess is what they are after...a reaction for publicity's sake and not from a genuine belief in what they say.
How'd that work out for ya, you douchebags!

Archived