Rudi's stats

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='592127' date='Nov 12 2007, 05:05 PM']His being injured DOESN'T matter. Get him on the field when he's healthy and can run with agression again. He runs so tentatively now, [i]this cannot be denied[/i]. Stats don't say that, but that's what I, and many others, SEE. Maybe he needs to watch some tape of Adrian Peterson or Marion Barber so he can remember how to run aggressively and hit someone.

I don't even understand what you're trying to argue. That he's our best RB? That he isn't running tentatively? That we should forget his injuries? What are you trying to say?[/quote]

What is it that you`re trying to argue ? That`s the better question.
I mean you are the one that started this thread . . .

Obviously Rudi is the better RB. That`s why he gets the
majority of the carries when healthy.

Rudi started 164 straight games. He missed 3 this
season because of an INJURY (not injuries).
As soon as he was healthy, he started again.

Rudi faced the #2 Run Defense in the NFL TWICE.
(The Ravens are #1 in ypc average with 2.7 ypc.
The 2nd best Run Defense in that catergory is allowing
3.0 ypc and they are the Vikings. The #1 ranked Run
Defense is the Stealers, and they allow 3.7 ypc.)
40 of his 93 carries have been against a Defense
that is allowing 73.7 ypg, and 2.7 ypc. That same Defense
shut down the #2 RB in the NFL last week.

Rudi also averaged 5.1 ypc against the Browns before he got injured.

He also started and was injured sometime during the game,
(remember this is the same guy that played with a bad
knee and no one even knew it until after the season
when he got surgery.) in the 3rd game. And it wasn`t
against a shitty run Defense either.The Seahawks allow 3.8 ypc (tied for 9th in the NFL)
That ypc average is better than the Jags, the Packers, the Pats and a host of others.

He also started the season without Levi being the
player that he is now. He also started the season
with Willie Anderson trying to keep some meaningless
streak alive. And without his starting Center. The O-line
was playing musical chairs.

But let`s ignore that. Let`s ignore that he was injured
the 3rd game of the season. Let`s ignore that almost
half of his carries are against a Defense that doesn`t
allow much rushing yards to anyone. And that the O-line
wasn`t playing a complete series together, much less a complete game.

Let`s just post his season stats and say that "Rudi suxors !!111!!!!"
And all the other bashing that has been going on for weeks now.

Have fun with it. Obviously I disagree. Did you just want a bunch of
people agreeing with you ? If so, sorry to ruin your fun.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='591805' date='Nov 12 2007, 09:32 AM']They have'nt all been out the whole season...and some would say Whitworth has played better at left tackle then Levi..

The real question is have YOU been watching the games.

They ran behind the same O line today...How many times did Rudi get tackled for loss compared to Kenny?

None of the blind Rudi lovers will answer me that question.

Rudi's timid texas ten step in the backfield is not getting it done. Same can be said for Shawn Alexander in Seattle.[/quote]

they were out when rudi wasnt...

watson has had one good game, one decent game and a buncha shitty ones.. rudi had one good game and a buncha shitty ones... both only good games came against the last and 2nd to last run D's...

how can you possibly argue any of the "points" your trying to make...

rudi was good and then average last year, he has bad start, gets hurt, after 1 good game, watson does jack shit aside from one game, and people are acting like watson is on his way to a 1500 yard season and rudi had 12 yards..

I am clearly in the camp of Rudi is not getting the job done now, for whatever reason. And I think Kenny provides more of a threat be it running inside, outside, picking up a blitz, or catching a pass.

Oldschool through out some traditional stats, which are all good, but my preference is Outsiders. They compare position players and/or units based on several factors which include strength of opposition, down, distance, and circumstance, etc.....

Here is the [url="http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb.php"]link [/url]

Watson is rated the 10th best back in the NFL, where Rudi is dead last at 47th ranked for players who have had a minimum of 50 rushes.

[quote name='Phatcat' post='592289' date='Nov 13 2007, 12:57 AM']I am clearly in the camp of Rudi is not getting the job done now, for whatever reason. And I think Kenny provides more of a threat be it running inside, outside, picking up a blitz, or catching a pass.

Oldschool through out some traditional stats, which are all good, but my preference is Outsiders. They compare position players and/or units based on several factors which include strength of opposition, down, distance, and circumstance, etc.....

Watson is rated the 10th best back in the NFL, where Rudi is dead last at 47th ranked for players who have had a minimum of 50 rushes.[/quote]
Its pretty obvious by watching them run behind the Oline which player gives them more for the buck...
While it might be true that Watson only had a 100yard game against the Jets, he seems to be able to find the gaps quicker....I discounted the Ravens game for Both of them.. Ravens stop every runner from gaining much ..

My first reaction to seeing Johnson was " he's lost too much weight" to be effective with his style..
Hopefully he gets back up to his "power" weight next season....if they decide to keep him....

[quote name='Phatcat' post='592289' date='Nov 13 2007, 12:57 AM']I am clearly in the camp of Rudi is not getting the job done now, for whatever reason. And I think Kenny provides more of a threat be it running inside, outside, picking up a blitz, or catching a pass.

Watson is rated the 10th best back in the NFL, where Rudi is dead last at 47th ranked for players who have had a minimum of 50 rushes.[/quote]

Great link. This is what I'm talking about. Rudi has had 1 game of over 4 ypc, and 4 games under 3 ypc, with one of them being 0.5. Watson had 5 games over 4.0, two of them being against New England and pissburgh, two great run defenses.

[quote][size=5][b]Ground game stalled[/b][/size]
[size=3][b]Team averaging just 86.3 yards [/b][/size]

By Kevin Goheen
Post staff reporter

Losses have a tendency to cause sleep deprivation for football coaches. Wins make hitting the sack easier but they don't erase the need for improvement.

The Bengals won their third game of the season Sunday at Baltimore, 21-7, but head coach Marvin Lewis wasn't without a list of deficiencies the Bengals had against the Ravens.

Getting better in the run game was at the top of the list.

The Bengals were held to 72 yards on 32 carries, not counting the two kneel downs quarterback Carson Palmer took during the contest. It was the seventh time in nine games this season they have failed to rush for 100 yards in a game

"You go right away to the next thing and look at things you need to do better," said Lewis. "Obviously, I wasn't happy with the way we ran the football."

Against Buffalo last week Lewis said mistakes in blocking techniques and assignment errors resulted in the Bills holding the Bengals to 28 yards on 17 carries. The Ravens holding the Bengals down in the run game wasn't very complex.

"We got our butt kicked," said Lewis. "They were more physical than we were at the point of attack, and you can take your pick at which guy and which time. I thought collectively, up front, we didn't play very well. We need to get that corrected and get that done better. We have to have our (running) backs on track more often, and our guys up front, our fullback, tight ends, etc. We left some yards out there."

The Bengals were 26th in the league in rushing last season, but even then they averaged 101.8 yards per game and had eight games with at least 100 yards gained on the ground. Just past the halfway mark of this season they are ranked 28th in the league, averaging 86.3 yards per game. They are 29th in the NFL averaging 3.5 yards per rush.

The last time the Bengals didn't average 100 yards per game rushing in a season was in 1995 when Harold Green led them in rushing with 661 yards.

Rudi Johnson has been the workhorse runner for the team the past three seasons, taking over the role fulltime from Corey Dillon after the Bengals traded Dillon to New England in the 2004 offseason. Johnson hasn't been able to provide that same role this season due to a hamstring injury suffered in Seattle on Sept. 23.

Johnson played his most extensive minutes since the Seattle game against Baltimore. He rushed for 46 yards on 22 carries. He had zero net yards at halftime on six carries, so if there was a bright spot to the Bengals run game it was that it did improve - if only slightly - in the second half. Johnson's 22 rushing attempts were his most since he carried the ball 23 times for 118 yards at Cleveland in the second game of the season.

The most telling stat about the woes of the Bengals run game is that Johnson's lone touchdown of the season came on a 13-yard swing pass against the Browns. He has yet to score on a running play after scoring 45 rushing touchdowns in the past four seasons. The Bengals have four rushing touchdowns this season. Kenny Watson has all of them, with three coming against the New York Jets.

Only three of Cincinnati's 17 first downs against Baltimore came by running the ball. The Ravens have the NFL's No. 2 rushing defense but part of the reason the Bengals didn't produce a touchdown in seven trips inside the Baltimore 20-yard line was due to their own failures. The Bengals took over possession of the ball because of a Ravens turnover on four consecutive series in the fourth quarter, three of which were in the red zone. They produced just one first down and three field goals.

"We tried to pound the ball," said left guard Andrew Whitworth. "They were expecting the run and did a good job of defending us. We're not going to try to give them any interceptions there but we still have to be able to move and get some first downs there at the end."[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071113/SPT03/711130314/1022/RSS0302"]http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...14/1022/RSS0302[/url]

[quote name='Phatcat' post='592289' date='Nov 12 2007, 11:57 PM'][b]I am clearly in the camp of Rudi is not getting the job done now, for whatever reason.[/b] And I think Kenny provides more of a threat be it running inside, outside, picking up a blitz, or catching a pass.

Well see, I`m clearly in the camp that NO ONE is getting it done
for whatever reason.

This thread is about Rudi. Like he is the sole reason for the
lack of a running game. I beg to differ. Kenny Watson
has started 4 of the Bengals 9 games. In 3 of those starts
(2 of the against 2 of the NFL`s top Run Defenses) He averaged
15 carries and 70 yards per game. Sure he had a great ypc average.
But that`s all. He didn`t dominate. He didn`t score any TDs.
And all 3 games were lost.

And you`ve posted links to that Football Outsiders before.
Obviously there`s a reason why they`re on the outside . . .

[quote][size=5][b]Team tries to get rush game on track[/b][/size]

By Chick Ludwig

Staff Writer

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

CINCINNATI — The Bengals take pride in running the football with authority.

When they don't do it well, egos are bruised.

Sunday's 70-yard rushing performance in a 21-7 victory at Baltimore, which came on the heels of a 28-yard effort at Buffalo, sent the Bengals' rushing rank plummeting to 28th at 86.3 yards a game — 48.7 yards fewer than their opponents' average of 135.0.

"We got our butt kicked," head coach Marvin Lewis said in his weekly news conference on Monday. "(The Ravens) were more physical than we were at the point of attack, and you can take your pick at which guy and which time. Collectively, up front, we didn't play very well. We need to get that corrected and get that done better."

[b]Case in point[/b]

Rudi Johnson has 242 rushing yards on 93 carries (a 2.6 average) and no touchdowns after being held to 46 yards on 22 carries at Baltimore.

Take away his Game 2 performance at Cleveland (23 rushes, 118 yards) and he's gained just 124 yards on 70 carries for a 1.8 average.

"The first thing we stress on Wednesday morning is, 'We've got to run the ball,' " rookie center Dan Santucci said. "In our individual drills, we work on double teams, zone blocking and all the different aspects it takes to run the ball well. We've just got to keep working hard on it."

[b]Injury report[/b]

Free safeties Madieu Williams (foot strain) and rookie Marvin White (hip flexor) will be limited in practice this week after suffering injuries on Sunday.

Lewis said tight end Reggie Kelly (knee), linebacker Anthony Schlegel (back), defensive tackle John Thornton (neck) and safety Herana-Daze Jones (knee) will have an opportunity to return after being deactivated at Baltimore.

"The only two guys with a little longer shots of being back right now are (right offensive tackle) Willie Anderson (knee) and (linebacker) Caleb Miller (back)," Lewis said. "Otherwise, we're good to go."

[b]Roster move[/b]

T.J. Wright, a rookie cornerback from Ohio University, was waived from the Injured Reserve list.

Wright had been waived/injured on Sept. 1 with a foot injury. He cleared waivers and reverted to the Injured Reserve list for the completion of his rehabilitation.

[b]Canned food drive[/b]

Freestore Foodbank volunteers will collect nonperishable food items and cash donations for the annual Holiday Canned Food Drive at the stadium gates prior to Sunday's game against Arizona.

More than 14,000 food boxes will be distributed to needy families at Thanksgiving and Christmas. The 2006 food drive generated 5,639 pounds of food and $8,565, helping provide meals for more than 32,000 people.

Contact this reporter at (937) 225-2253 or cludwig@DaytonDailyNews.com.[/quote]

Case in point

Rudi Johnson has 242 rushing yards on 93 carries (a 2.6 average) and no touchdowns after being held to 46 yards on 22 carries at Baltimore.

Take away his Game 2 performance at Cleveland (23 rushes, 118 yards) and he's gained just 124 yards on 70 carries for a 1.8 average.

That's what I call, not getting it done............. If he's still hurt, sit him..... Let Watson and Dorsey handle the load

[quote name='BengalInPa' post='592410' date='Nov 13 2007, 09:44 AM']Case in point

That's what I call, not getting it done............. If he's still hurt, sit him..... Let Watson and Dorsey handle the load[/quote]

Rudi gained 46 yards on 16 carries in the second Half against the Ravens.
That is a 2.9 ypc average. That`s a higher average than Watson had
for the game.

Anyway, those stats have been posted several times.

So I`ll post some more. In 3 of Kenny Watson`s starts, the Bengals are averaging
70 yards rushing per game.

The Bengals rush Offense has gained 100 yards on 49 carries the past 2 games.

So it`s not like anyone is tearing it up . . .

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='591662' date='Nov 12 2007, 06:55 AM']No, I have always loved Rudi, but he can't seem to get out of the backfield. He does not hit the hole as hard as he used to. He goes down with arm tackles.

He used to fall forward for at least a couple yards after first contact. Now he tip toes in the backfield like a ballerina.

How many times was Rudi tackled for a loss today compared to Kenny?[/quote]

Agreed 3 times...Dancing around has never been his style. He is hard inside runner with limited speed. I just dont get why he tries to be something else... Our offence would be better suited for slaher type of back but Rudi cant be one and he should not even try.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='592419' date='Nov 13 2007, 10:54 AM']So it`s not like anyone is tearing it up . . .[/quote]

So who is the best RB on our team and the one who should get the bulk of the carries in your opinion? That is what this thread is about. For the sake of clarity: I stated multiple times that I believe Watson should start and be getting 2/3 of the carries.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='592627' date='Nov 13 2007, 03:16 PM']So who is the best RB on our team and the one who should get the bulk of the carries in your opinion? That is what this thread is about. For the sake of clarity: I stated multiple times that I believe Watson should start and be getting 2/3 of the carries.[/quote]

Dorsey.

^_^

Archived