High Speed Internet Or Dial Up?

Do You Have A Dial-Up Or High-Speed Connection To The Internet?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Have A Dial-Up Or High-Speed Connection To The Internet?

• Dial-up
    • High-speed

Guest oldschooler

[img]http://www.komu.com/html/htmlWinter2004/jpeg/mediacom%20copy.jpg[/img]

not so high speed inter-net <_<

I wouldn`t even get on-line if I had to do dial-up again [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//18.gif[/img]

i have zoomtown, sad to say, as i hate cincinnatibell, but zoomtown is by far the fastest internet availible here in cincinnati, with roadrunner i got downloads of about 100K-150K. from the same sites i get 200-220k with zoomtown, uploads are about 5-10k faster so nothing great there, the shit part is, i dont have a home phone, but i have to pay for a data phone line (faxline) to use teh dsl, so i pay like $65/month for the internet when its only $39.95 for the internet cause i need that phoneline.

im in denver right now and this cable internet makes me wat to shoot myself in the face.

and going from my 1-1.5 gig ram to this 512 isnt helping... shoulda mailed my desktop out here with me...

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/26.gif[/img]

[quote name='Bengals_12th_Man' date='Mar 18 2005, 04:42 PM']Insightbb.com I get about 500k down, 40k up. I think Im going to cancel them though. So zoomtown is about 65 with a phone line GB? Do they offer any web space?
[right][post="64387"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

no, they dont give you anything but access and an email address.

[url="http://www.cincinnatibell.com/residential/internet/zoomtown/?t=1"]http://www.cincinnatibell.com/residential/...t/zoomtown/?t=1[/url]

but for like $7-15/month you can have 2 gig storage and 50 gig transfer from hostrocket (if you go with them let me know you can sign up through my link and i get $65)

then you can host whatever the hell you want....

Guest mongoloido

[quote name='GoBengals' date='Mar 18 2005, 02:27 PM']i have zoomtown, sad to say, as i hate cincinnatibell, but zoomtown is by far the fastest internet availible here in cincinnati, with roadrunner i got downloads of about 100K-150K. from the same sites i get 200-220k with zoomtown, uploads are about 5-10k faster so nothing great there, the shit part is, i dont have a home phone, but i have to pay for a data phone line (faxline) to use the dsl, so i pay like $65/month for the internet when its only $39.95 for the internet cause i need that phoneline.

im in denver right now and this cable internet makes me wat to shoot myself in the face.

and going from my 1-1.5 gig ram to this 512 isnt helping... shoulda mailed my desktop out here with me...
[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//26.gif[/img]
[right][post="64304"][/post][/right][/quote]

You're high :P . Roadrunner is a lot faster than Zoomtown. Zoomtown is the second place highspeed provider for the region by a long margin. I get download speeds in the 550k+ range with Roadrunner while my brother and our office computers putt around 220k with Zoomtown. Whatever issues you may have had, don't think them indicative of what Roadrunner is capable of... Perhaps you have a bad NIC card or a bad modem. Dunno, but Roadrunner is so much faster than Zoomtown.

[quote name='mongoloido' date='Mar 21 2005, 08:44 AM']You're high  :P . Roadrunner is a lot faster than Zoomtown. Zoomtown is the second place highspeed provider for the region by a long margin. I get download speeds in the 550k+ range with Roadrunner while my brother and our office computers putt around 220k with Zoomtown. Whatever issues you may have had, don't think them indicative of what Roadrunner is capable of... Perhaps you have a bad NIC card or a bad modem. Dunno, but Roadrunner is so much faster than Zoomtown.
[right][post="65265"][/post][/right][/quote]

interesting, it was years ago, so im sure some has changed, were live i dont have a choice, but when i move, i will have to give it a wirl....

interesting...

Guest BengalsOwn
It all depends on the server you're downloading from.

RR just upgraded my area to 5mps download speeds, but you will never come close to that speed.

(they upgraded it for free, no promotional offers either, I just got a random email telling me they did)

[quote name='BengalsOwn' date='Mar 22 2005, 01:54 AM']It all depends on the server you're downloading from.

RR just upgraded my area to 5mps download speeds, but you will never come close to that speed.

(they upgraded it for free, no promotional offers either, I just got a random email telling me they did)
[right][post="65750"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

it doesnt ALL depend on the server, but its a factor, i download from my GB host at about 150-200k from home, here in denver, on sisters DSL, 29k, on my friends cable 70-80k, and another friends cable 200-220k but sometimes only 50k, its shitty service most times.

ubut upload is most important too, i typically uplaod fill site parts around 10-75MB at a time, typically only get about 50-75K upload from home, zootown is 3mbps down and 768 upload right now.. suposidly an upgrade coming...

RR Bus. Class. I average 550KB/sec when I download from newsgroups, which is pretty close to 5mb.

I went through withdrawl when some jackass digging a trench cut my recently buried cable. But luckily since i'm a "Business Class" customer, someone was out in an hour :)

I can handle no tv...but I need internet.

[quote name='Ben' date='Mar 22 2005, 09:09 AM']RR Bus. Class.  I average 550KB/sec when I download from newsgroups, which is pretty close to 5mb. 

I went through withdrawl when some jackass digging a trench cut my recently buried cable.  But luckily since i'm a "Business Class" customer, someone was out in an hour :)

I can handle no tv...but I need internet.
[right][post="65805"][/post][/right][/quote]

unless i read something wrong, 550k is about 1/10th of 5mb

but certainly sick ass download speed

Archived