Coordinator plans

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='616038' date='Dec 30 2007, 08:05 PM']Ive just never really liked brats play calling. I feel like he will throw the ball 5 times in a row one drive, then on the next drive run the ball up the gut three times and get a three and out, like one drive today.

I want someone who mixes the calls up better then brat does.[/quote]

we ahve had a top 10 defense every year he was here, even with the shit play of the personel, if players block, and we arent mising 75% of the running bcks and 40% wr', and make shift oline, the playcalling can expand and be more successful. just like bres, you need player to perform to be successful, there are no "make watson and rudi no longer need blockers" schemes..if ya feel what im sayin.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='616050' date='Dec 30 2007, 08:15 PM']Detroit's lack of a running game had more to do with the o-line than the scheme from what I have seen. Their o-line sucks.[/quote]

Perhaps but they had talent at RB and Martz barley ran the ball, we dont and had issue on our oline as well, perhaps not as much as detroit, but we did.

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='616067' date='Dec 30 2007, 08:28 PM']I didnt catch the news on scrapping the playbook.. could you expand on that[/quote]

Lap speculated at such in the pre-game show that the playbooks would be part of the "blowing up". YOu can also glean it from this nugget backer posted from the latest hobson article:

[quote]Asked following the game whether or not there will be changes upcoming during the offseason, Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said, "I can't tell you that right now. Five [b]years and things are a little stale. We're going to take all those doggone binders from five years of games and get rid of them[/b], and clean up as new people come in.

"In general, go to your garage, you look in your garage and you say, 'I've got to get rid of this junk.' I'm talking about our players when they come back they have a fresh outlook and not allow that cloud to hang over our heads."[/quote]

[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' post='616060' date='Dec 30 2007, 08:21 PM']Hue Jackson is one of those guys that will make a much better coach than coordinator. I think coaching is much more suited to his skill set.

As an OC he isn't very good.[/quote]

agreed

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='616062' date='Dec 30 2007, 08:23 PM']How do you know he'd "inject" life into the offense? How do you know he'll even be as good as
Brat for that matter?
He's never been an OC.....we have NO IDEA what his offensive philosophies are....
I'd counter his 'knowing" Palmer by saying that Carson was at his best when Kitna was here rather than Zampese coaching him...
Dont judge Zampese because of his name and I think thats the case with alot of fans..[/quote]

1 trillion percent agree

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='616062' date='Dec 30 2007, 09:23 PM']How do you know he'd "inject" life into the offense? How do you know he'll even be as good as
Brat for that matter?
He's never been an OC.....we have NO IDEA what his offensive philosophies are....
I'd counter his 'knowing" Palmer by saying that Carson was at his best when Kitna was here rather than Zampese coaching him...
Dont judge Zampese because of his name and I think thats the case with alot of fans..[/quote]

Never claimed to KNOW that Zampese could take this offense to a new level. If others were suggesting Mike Martz, I thought Zampese certainly deserved a mention. I don't remember his father so I'm not falling into whole "blood lines" thing. Zamp is always on a short list for team's O coordinators in the offseason, just a matter of time before there is a fit.

[quote]I'm looking forward to the Donnie Henderson era[/quote]

Me too !! I don't like the mindset of our D. If you get someone 3rd & 15, I blitz the hell out of the QB, give him 2 seconds to either throw the ball, or take a sack. Our mindset is play back, rush 3 guys and don't give up the big play.

I want an aggressive defense !

[quote name='bengalbutch' post='616109' date='Dec 30 2007, 09:04 PM']Me too !! I don't like the mindset of our D. If you get someone 3rd & 15, I blitz the hell out of the QB, give him 2 seconds to either throw the ball, or take a sack. Our mindset is play back, rush 3 guys and don't give up the big play.

I want an aggressive defense ![/quote]

is this a joke? is this the longest Punk'd episode ever on me?

who are we gonna blitz? schlegal? dhani jones? mays? by the time those shit players broke the line the play would be over.

you have to have players to run plays. we had a buncha retirees and unemloyement line guys playing linebacker...

[quote]is this a joke? is this the longest Punk'd episode ever on me?

who are we gonna blitz? schlegal? dhani jones? mays? by the time those shit players broke the line the play would be over.

you have to have players to run plays. we had a buncha retirees and unemloyement line guys playing linebacker...[/quote]

Don't be so arrogant. I have an opinion, if you disagree, fine, don't be a jerk. This is the NFL with NFL players, no one is a joke out there. You can blitz linebackers, corners or a safety. If the offense has 5 blockers and you bring 7 defensive players, they can't block all your players. Ask the Steelers about that.

[quote name='bengalbutch' post='616144' date='Dec 30 2007, 09:44 PM']Don't be so arrogant. I have an opinion, if you disagree, fine, don't be a jerk. This is the NFL with NFL players, no one is a joke out there. You can blitz linebackers, corners or a safety. If the offense has 5 blockers and you bring 7 defensive players, they can't block all your players. Ask the Steelers about that.[/quote]

you blitz too many players and the qb will beat you with short dumpoffs

[quote name='bengalbutch' post='616144' date='Dec 30 2007, 09:44 PM']Don't be so arrogant. I have an opinion, if you disagree, fine, don't be a jerk. This is the NFL with NFL players, no one is a joke out there. You can blitz linebackers, corners or a safety. If the offense has 5 blockers and you bring 7 defensive players, they can't block all your players. Ask the Steelers about that.[/quote]

well, if your players cant cover, say linebackers cant cover a TE/ #3, then you can bring a safety or corner, or someones gonna be WIDE open, as we often saw, they arent NFl caliber players if they were #1 on vacation/retired (dhani jones) 2. hunting bore (shhlegal) and been cut (mays) and frankly i have no idea who roy manning or jim maxwell are but they have 3-4 years of some sort of experience appearently..

we had several guys who were a joke out there.. when all but 1 starter goes down and thenall those backups go down, and you have 5 guys on the roster who werent playing football when we played our first game at a single position. not to mention being the most vital defensive position. being responsible for pass coverages as well as run support and blitzing/pressure in the backfield. it effects everyone and everything.

kinda like being handed kitna and mccown and say "alright go win the superbowl!"

we are very lucky to be 7-9 with that group of linebackers on the field

we ahve 5 guys on the PU/IR at linebacker and 1 suspended... we run a 4-3 and typically carry 6 LBs on the roster... and 5 of our top 6 are gone....

no DV on the planet can overcome that, with a remotely healthy roster, even with youth starting, we led the nfl in forced turnovers under bresnehan. aside from that the guy has been handed onions and been asked to make lemonade.

bresnehan has proven he can have success given some remotely healthy players.

i apologize for coming across as a douchebag, but shit what would our record be if henderson was our DC this year? it couldnt possibly be any better.

healthy players fix this defense far before a new DC does. if there is a DC out there with a pro bowl caliber playbook for corie mays and anthony shlegal, pay the man and lets get our superbowl tickets..

[quote]you blitz too many players and the qb will beat you with short dumpoffs[/quote]

[quote]fixed. It doesn't matter how many guys you send if they aren't fast enough and talented enough to get there in time.[/quote]

And thats why you guys are NFL coaches ? I agree, play back and give up everything underneath. :lol:

[quote name='bengalbutch' post='616152' date='Dec 30 2007, 10:02 PM']And thats why you guys are NFL coaches ? I agree, play back and give up everything underneath. :lol:[/quote]

ok, but you arent either, so then if we both have two differing opinions and neither of us are NFL coaches.....

[quote]apologize for coming across as a douchebag, but shit what would our record be if henderson was our DC this year? it couldnt possibly be any better.[/quote]

Thank you, I don't say that I'm right or know what I'm talking about. I just watch the Bengals and it seems like we play passively. I like aggressive play, thats all.

Couple of things:

[quote]going to take all those doggone binders [b]from five years of games [/b] and get rid of them[/quote]

I take that to mean those play-by-play photos & stats from each game that you always see the QB looking at on the sideline.. Game charts and shit like that.. [i]Not[/i] the playbooks, in other words. You don't have playbooks "from five years of games".

As for Bresnahan, he has a long history of playing prevent defenses, going back to (at least) his days in Oakland. Ask any Raiders fan.

[quote name='T-Dub' post='616172' date='Dec 30 2007, 10:36 PM']Couple of things:

I take that to mean those play-by-play photos & stats from each game that you always see the QB looking at on the sideline.. Game charts and shit like that.. [i]Not[/i] the playbooks, in other words. You don't have playbooks "from five years of games".

As for Bresnahan, he has a long history of playing prevent defenses, going back to (at least) his days in Oakland. Ask any Raiders fan.[/quote]

didnt he DC the superbowl D there?

most superbowl D's run a lot of prevent.

and why would any raiders fan have a clue what they are talking about?

Archived