Building a computer ...

steggyD

I have used newegg for all my computer needs for the past 6 or 7 years, have been very happy with them, but I'm considering Mwave.com ...

Why?

I have a list of all my parts in both newegg and mwave. Same exact build, keyboard and all. At mwave, it is $40 cheaper after shipping and all. $40 is not much considering the overall price, but this is with mwave putting the mobo, cpu and ram together and running tests. I can do that stuff myself, but, hey, if someone else wants to do it, then fine by me. Right? That way they are responsible for the most dangerous step in PC building, the cpu to the mobo. Oh yeah, they'll connect the PSU to the case.

So, newegg, I have to pay $40 more and do all the construction myself, but I know and trust them. Anyone have any mwave experience?

Also, when thinking about OS, I kinda want to just run XP 32 bit, even though I'm buying all new hardware that is 64 bit compatible. Should I run a new OS? Will I need all new software? Can I just play the same ol' games I've played on an XP or Vista 64 bit machine? Does my graphics software need to say that it is 64 bit compatible? Or is that just if you want to take advantage of 64 bit? I'm so confused still on this whole 64 bit stuff. I don't want to have to trash everything I've acquired over the years.

[quote name='steggyD' post='629541' date='Feb 3 2008, 09:47 AM']I have used newegg for all my computer needs for the past 6 or 7 years, have been very happy with them, but I'm considering Mwave.com ...

Why?

I have a list of all my parts in both newegg and mwave. Same exact build, keyboard and all. At mwave, it is $40 cheaper after shipping and all. $40 is not much considering the overall price, but this is with mwave putting the mobo, cpu and ram together and running tests. I can do that stuff myself, but, hey, if someone else wants to do it, then fine by me. Right? That way they are responsible for the most dangerous step in PC building, the cpu to the mobo. Oh yeah, they'll connect the PSU to the case.

So, newegg, I have to pay $40 more and do all the construction myself, but I know and trust them. Anyone have any mwave experience?

Also, when thinking about OS, I kinda want to just run XP 32 bit, even though I'm buying all new hardware that is 64 bit compatible. Should I run a new OS? Will I need all new software? Can I just play the same ol' games I've played on an XP or Vista 64 bit machine? Does my graphics software need to say that it is 64 bit compatible? Or is that just if you want to take advantage of 64 bit? I'm so confused still on this whole 64 bit stuff. I don't want to have to trash everything I've acquired over the years.[/quote]

I've used Mwave in the past and had pretty good luck. I don't remember ever having a problem with them, so that should say something. When a company pisses me off, I won't use them again. I've never had to do any returns with them, but I know Newegg is great about them. Usually it comes down to either them or Newegg, and it is usually price that has determined which one.

Sorry I don't have a little bit more, but I haven't had a need to buy much lately. I'm sure someone else will chime in with the OS stuff.

[quote name='steggyD' post='629661' date='Feb 3 2008, 04:33 PM']Vista or XP?

Any other experience with mwave? Anyone?[/quote]

mwave is great, newegg is usually cheaper but if not, mwave is a tie for 1st palce in my book.

and get 64 bit OS.. go with vista.. why not? do u have a 11 yr old printer that didnt make a driver for vista?

only problem i ever had was canon not making anything but the printer driver on a multifunction unit for vista. so the scan feature became useless... but thats canons fault..

you can turn off any and all bells and whistles you dont want in vista, why not go with the latest technology. the indexing and search features alone are worth it... atleast for me and my swamp of files on 3 diff hard drives.

I'm just afraid that some program I use and have grown to love won't work correctly when I run it on a 64 bit system. Get that from reading all the reviews.

NM, fuck it! Going Vista 64 with 4 gigs of RAM and core 2 duo proccessor, and HDCP ready vid card! Can't wait to get this rig up and running.

[quote name='steggyD' post='629819' date='Feb 3 2008, 10:53 PM']I'm just afraid that some program I use and have grown to love won't work correctly when I run it on a 64 bit system. Get that from reading all the reviews.[/quote]

take a look at your program list and check their sites... i have had zero problems... even stuff like azureus, etc... and stuff runs in 32 bit mode, it has a *32 next to it in my task manager... so it runs both just fine...

i have had zero problems...

i had the exact same scare tho, i posted here and was encouraged forward, and have had not a single issue..

it would be pretty bizzare to experience.. . at least these days...

i was told that was more of an xp 64 bit problem than vista, as vista was already rumored by then and programmers ignored 64 bit updates...

if its a system your going to keep for years, you want to make the right choice, even if you have 100 programs you cant live without, spending a few hours checking them all would be worth the performance increase...

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='steggyD' post='629942' date='Feb 4 2008, 10:55 AM']I'm going to order about 2/3 from mwave and the rest of the 1/3 from newegg. I came up with the best price that way. Now I just need to wait a couple weeks for that bonus!!![/quote]

Just so you know.. 64 bits just refers to memory addressing, and has really nothing to do with processing power. Although some application will receive a performance increase due to having to do less math to address large memory addresses.

You have made the right decision though as 64 bits is clearly the future (even if it is catching on so much slower than the 16 to 32 bit switch)... Especially as applications get more and more memory hungry.

And thoeretically there shouldn't be any problem running 32 bit applications in a 64bit environment.. It's the opposite that is impossible.. Most problems are due to the way the OS is handling the app.

[quote name='Elflocko' post='632407' date='Feb 15 2008, 12:47 AM']True, but without the 64-bit 4 GB of RAM is a waste...[/quote]

yea, he's saying,that he wants the 64 bit so he can have the 4 gigs of ram, and that the 64 bit alone isnt that impressive, tho he needs it for the 4+ gigs of ram.. i think.

[quote name='steggyD' post='632677' date='Feb 15 2008, 10:59 PM']Yeah, you guys are just confusing me now ...

I want 4 gigs of RAM, thus the need for 64 bit. Your statements are now like [b]which came first? The chicken or the egg?[/b][/quote]

This question is really about religion.

Waiting for the core 2 duo e8400 to come back in stock at newegg or mwave. Anyone know where to find one?

I was thinking about this one at Tiger Direct, [url="http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=3636566&sku=CP2-DUO-E8400"]http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/se...u=CP2-DUO-E8400[/url] , but it's OEM. Which doesn't matter too much, it's just that the retail is listed as only $10 more at newegg. I feel like I'm getting ripped off if I get an OEM and save only $10. Then I am forced to buy the aftermarket heatsink, for about $26, which I would eventually do anyway. But then it's extra shipping from one more store, when I was going to get my parts from newegg and mwave only.

What to do? I'm not settling for any other proccessor. This one has awesome scores on all tests run on it.

[quote name='steggyD' post='637416' date='Feb 29 2008, 09:53 PM']Waiting for the core 2 duo e8400 to come back in stock at newegg or mwave. Anyone know where to find one?

I was thinking about this one at Tiger Direct, [url="http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=3636566&sku=CP2-DUO-E8400"]http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/se...u=CP2-DUO-E8400[/url] , but it's OEM. Which doesn't matter too much, it's just that the retail is listed as only $10 more at newegg. I feel like I'm getting ripped off if I get an OEM and save only $10. Then I am forced to buy the aftermarket heatsink, for about $26, which I would eventually do anyway. But then it's extra shipping from one more store, when I was going to get my parts from newegg and mwave only.

What to do? I'm not settling for any other proccessor. This one has awesome scores on all tests run on it.[/quote]

that core 2 quad for $30 more seems pretty nasty too tho... B)

mmmmm quad...

I looked at the quad, but from what I hear of these new Wolfdales, I really want one. I have ordered the entire PC, minus the CPU.

Come on e8400's, please come back in stock. I need you. If it takes too long, I may just get the quad; it would really help with all the video encoding type of things I do.

[quote name='steggyD' post='640302' date='Mar 5 2008, 11:45 AM']I looked at the quad, but from what I hear of these new Wolfdales, I really want one. I have ordered the entire PC, minus the CPU.

Come on e8400's, please come back in stock. I need you. If it takes too long, I may just get the quad; it would really help with all the video encoding type of things I do.[/quote]

definitely, ... you have me eager for a new machine.. but trying to get a house has me poor.. quite poor..

Found the CPU, well the Xeon alternative at TankGuys. From what I read, the Xeon E3110 is the exact same CPU as the E8400. Just a couple days and my new CPU will be complete. I can not wait!!!

So, I'll have:
3.0 ghz E3110/E8400, maybe overclocked when I get the aftermarket fan later on
4 gigs of RAM
512 mb 8800gts
BluRay and HDDVD drive
250 gig sata 3 gig drive
all on a Vista 64 OS
and a cool case and shit !

Archived