The Reds vs Pirates Thread

Jason

[quote name='Jason' post='651465' date='Apr 11 2008, 09:13 PM']After beating good teams like the D-backs and Brewers, we will lose 2 of 3 to the Parrots.[/quote]
What makes you think that? We have been pretty resilient so far this season, and just because we lose the first game of a series deosn't mean shit. I am concerned about the number of batters LOB, but we did only lose 1-0. It's not like you're going to see that out of the Reds offense al year.
The real question is whether this good pitching we've been enjoying will hold up over 162 games....

[quote name='Bunghole' post='651471' date='Apr 11 2008, 10:59 PM'][b]What makes you think that?[/b] We have been pretty resilient so far this season, and just because we lose the first game of a series deosn't mean shit. I am concerned about the number of batters LOB, but we did only lose 1-0. It's not like you're going to see that out of the Reds offense al year.
The real question is whether this good pitching we've been enjoying will hold up over 162 games....[/quote]

Just a feeling.

[quote name='Jason' post='651689' date='Apr 12 2008, 08:16 PM']Sometimes I hate being right.[/quote]
You must be like the anti-BJ! If you would quit making predictions, then they won't come true!
:lol:
Still, it sucks to open the season the way we did against playoff-level teams, pitch relatively well like we have (Arroyo and Fogg's 1st outing aside) and lose these squeakers to a shitty team like The Pirates.
This is reconfirming my notion that somehow the Reds in recent years manage to play to their level of competition. The Brewers have hurt us SO bad in times past when they were shitty, and now that they are good, we beat them, but we can't beat the fucking Pirates. And these last two games were one-run games, too. Dammit.
I know it's early. The Reds are at .500. They've pitched relatively well. But dammit, where is that offense when we need it? Aside from Patterson ( a pleasant surprise), Keppinger and Griffey, nobody is really hitting well. Votto seems to be coming along lately, but he isn't proven yet. Where is Dunn, Hatteburg, Philips, EE when we need them?
Dammit.
I am overstating our offensive woes because it is early in the season, but I really wanted this one, and it was so winnable, given our propensity to leave ROB.
Dammit.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='651691' date='Apr 12 2008, 09:32 PM']You must be like the anti-BJ! If you would quit making predictions, then they won't come true!
:lol:
Still, it sucks to open the season the way we did against playoff-level teams, pitch relatively well like we have (Arroyo and Fogg's 1st outing aside) and lose these squeakers to a shitty team like The Pirates.
This is reconfirming my notion that somehow the Reds in recent years manage to play to their level of competition. The Brewers have hurt us SO bad in times past when they were shitty, and now that they are good, we beat them, but we can't beat the fucking Pirates. And these last two games were one-run games, too. Dammit.
I know it's early. The Reds are at .500. They've pitched relatively well. But dammit, where is that offense when we need it? Aside from Patterson ( a pleasant surprise), Keppinger and Griffey, nobody is really hitting well. Votto seems to be coming along lately, but he isn't proven yet. Where is Dunn, Hatteburg, Philips, EE when we need them?
Dammit.
I am overstating our offensive woes because it is early in the season, but I really wanted this one, and it was so winnable, given our propensity to leave ROB.
Dammit.[/quote]

Looks like losing Josh hamiltons Batting avg. might be taking its toll.
No seriously though. The fundamentals are killing this team. Not being able to hit sac flys, not being able to bunt runners over. Both of these things are critical to manufacture runs. And the reds are so HR. hungry it seems. ME ME ME> They cant do any of them. Dusty needs to crack their asses and having these guys practice bunts and sac fly situations like theres no tomorrow.

Im deeply saddened for the reds.

I was away on vaca and didnt get to watch any of the games.

1st game i was PISSED
2nd Game i was EVEN MORE PISSED.
3rd game sweep. I was just sad. And didnt want to come home.

[quote name='The Scales' post='652048' date='Apr 14 2008, 12:47 PM']Swept by Pitts bug

Aw Hell Naw!

:thumbsdown:

I think ol Phillips, while I like his game, needs to concentrate on the positive aspects of Patience.[/quote]

ehhh im sure everybody needs work. But phillips doesnt need near as much as some of the other players.

I just looked up the stats to see who pitched on sunday.

CUETO!>?
I hope he hasnt lost his confidence. He needs to work on not giving up so many hr's. Numerous teams have hurt him now with that.

Oh No you didn't

Brandon is the first pitch swinging champ.

Edwin? It usually takes him a good 3 months to get good and warmed up for the season.

First inning yester day...2 on none out...did we get a run?

no

2 on and none out and not one stinking run?

That happens WAY too often.

[quote name='The Scales' post='652051' date='Apr 14 2008, 01:53 PM']Oh No you didn't

Edwin? It usually takes him a good 3 months to get good and warmed up for the season.

no

That happens WAY too often.[/quote]

Brandon is also hitting over .300 and got on base twice by working two walks yesterday. Brandon is not this teams biggest problem. No one guy is this teams biggest problem.

Dusty needs to bitch slap the whole team and lets get back to fundamentals on manufacturing runs. BUNTING and contact hitting.

[quote name='The Scales' post='652051' date='Apr 14 2008, 12:53 PM']Oh No you didn't

[b]

Edwin? It usually takes him a good 3 months to get good and warmed up for the season.[/b]

no

That happens WAY too often.[/quote]

It takes EE roughly a month. He's only had 2 bad months each year he has played full time. If you look at Dunn and Griffey they are just as bad or worse. They are veterans too and shouldn't have these problems like a 3 year player Edwin does.

[u][b]Edwin Encarnacion[/b][/u]
[b]Month 2007 AVGs 2006 AVGs[/b]
April .221 .288
May .286 .242
June .305 .357
July .221 .375
August .350 .317
September .322 .214
Pre-All Star .270 .268
Post-All Star .309 .282

2007 AVG 2006
RISP .360 (136 ABs) .303 (109 ABs)