fucking finally

Nati Ice

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='685347' date='Aug 7 2008, 02:12 PM']Rick it's no different than telling people to turn down their thermostats to save energy, we arent going to enforce that either, but it's something people on an individual level can do. Your acting as if that is his policy, which it clearly isnt.

How do you miss this?[/quote]

forget about everything else for a second... My complaint is with the comparison because it is totally unrealistic...

[quote name='bengalrick' post='685357' date='Aug 7 2008, 02:26 PM']forget about everything else for a second... My complaint is with the comparison because it is totally unrealistic...[/quote]

perhaps his numbers were off, but his point wasnt

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='685362' date='Aug 7 2008, 02:32 PM']perhaps his numbers were off, but his point wasnt[/quote]

I'll say that if he didn't put the comparison in there, he would have a point... nothing at all wrong w/ conservation...

by putting it in there, it turns into a swipe at people that agree w/ drilling and uses unrealistic numbers to "prove" his point...

Its not like I agree w/ the crux of his energy policy either... I disagreed w/ the first round of tax rebates, so you can only assume what i think about windfall profits taxes and more tax rebates...

[quote name='bengalrick' post='685357' date='Aug 8 2008, 05:26 AM']forget about everything else for a second... My complaint is with the comparison because it is totally unrealistic...[/quote]
Really? How do you know this? How has checking your tires to see if they are properly inflated effected your gas mileage?

I haven't driven in 3 years, but when I did, in my 97 Dodge, the difference was always noticable. often up to 2mpg. for a car that was lucky to get to 25mpg. so my results were even better than what he suggests.

No one had to "enforce" this terrible inconvenience on me, either. Simply saving my own $$ was more than enough incentive.

Why don't you actually try it, and see what happens? If you find it to be a waste of time, then stop doing it.

I'm sure you can find a tire pressure gauge easily at the next McCain rally. :mellow:

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='685428' date='Aug 7 2008, 06:43 PM']Really? How do you know this? How has checking your tires to see if they are properly inflated effected your gas mileage?

I haven't driven in 3 years, but when I did, in my 97 Dodge, the difference was always noticable. often up to 2mpg. for a car that was lucky to get to 25mpg. so my results were even better than what he suggests.

No one had to "enforce" this terrible inconvenience on me, either. Simply saving my own $$ was more than enough incentive.

Why don't you actually try it, and see what happens? If you find it to be a waste of time, then stop doing it.

[color="#FF0000"]I'm sure you can find a tire pressure gauge easily at the next McCain rally.[/color] :mellow:[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='685428' date='Aug 7 2008, 06:43 PM']Really? How do you know this? How has checking your tires to see if they are properly inflated effected your gas mileage?

I'm sure you can find a tire pressure gauge easily at the next McCain rally. :mellow:[/quote]

holy shit... are you seriously reading my posts, interpretting what i say, and responding? or are you just assuming what i am saying and just winging it...

WHEN DID I SAY THAT CHECKING YOUR TIRE PRESSURE IS NOT A GOOD THING? I AM 100% FOR CONSERVATION (i believe that is the third time i've said that) BUT I THINK THAT BECAUSE FOR OBAMA'S NUMBERS TO BE TRUE, [b]EVERYONE[/b] HAS TO FIX THEIR TIRE PRESSURE. Do you honestly think that is possible? Do you think that these numbers are reasonable, considering not everyone is going to listen to Obama's advice? And to somehow compare those fake ass numbers with how much we can possibly get from drilling in our own country is a crock of shit...

Is there anyone that isn't for conservation of oil? Quit bring that up, damn it... it is getting old going over the same fucking points every post and then you come back with stupid ass responses that tell me you aren't even reading what I write... If this isn't black and white for you, then I don't know what to tell you kangar...

Let me see if I understand this, I'm a little slow. You mean when Obama says IF the average person would follow this simple advice, THEN we could reduce the need for further drilling... he's making a conditional statement? Really? I never would have understood this without you clearing it up for me.

What the man said made perfect sense. But rather than understand that, you're on here complaining that it's unrealistic that folks will actually follow his simple advice. Well, shit, you only had to go as far as the nearest mirror to figure that one out.

Why is it... If McCain says IF we need to, THEN we'll stay in Iraq for the next 100 years, you have no problem understanding that it's a conditional statement?

But.. If Obama makes a conditional statement, you rant and rave about it being unrealistic.

Surely you're not one of those partisan assholes you mentioned earlier :mellow:

I have no horse in this race. I think both candidates suck. But I find it funny that you would rather condemn good advice than follow it because you don't support the person who is giving it.

Like I suggested earlier, follow the advice yourself, and see what happens. If it works as he suggests, and as it has worked for me, then suggest it to your friends and family. Encourage [b]EVERYONE[/b] you know to follow your lead. If you're really 100% FOR CONSERVATION (as you believe you have said three times, now), do something about it.

Otherwise, complaining that it is unrealistic is a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Come on guys, be serious. First of all, one would have to assume that a high percentage of us all are driving around with our tires low. Well, guess what. I have a tire pressure monitor built into my car. And many new cars are coming with this built in. We don't need a president to help us with tire pressure. This whole thing is bullshit all around. Obama is bullshit for comparing it with drilling for oil and bringing it up as a campaign tactic. It's childish. And any of you who fall for this, well, jeez. I just dunno anymore. This country is doomed. Get off the damn guy's jock. Maybe I'll run for president in 2012 and use the campaign slogan, "Don't gun it from the red light, and we can ween ourselves off of oil."

[quote name='steggyD' post='685479' date='Aug 8 2008, 12:19 AM']Come on guys, be serious. First of all, one would have to assume that a high percentage of us all are driving around with our tires low. Well, guess what. I have a tire pressure monitor built into my car. And many new cars are coming with this built in. We don't need a president to help us with tire pressure. This whole thing is bullshit all around. Obama is bullshit for comparing it with drilling for oil and bringing it up as a campaign tactic. It's childish. And any of you who fall for this, well, jeez. I just dunno anymore. This country is doomed. Get off the damn guy's jock. Maybe I'll run for president in 2012 and use the campaign slogan, "Don't gun it from the red light, and we can ween ourselves off of oil."[/quote]

I don't think there's a single poster in this thread what you just said is applicable to, and no one here loves Obama except maybe Nati Ice but he just posted the video.

[quote name='steggyD' post='685479' date='Aug 8 2008, 03:19 PM']Come on guys, be serious. First of all, one would have to assume that a high percentage of us all are driving around with our tires low. Well, guess what. I have a tire pressure monitor built into my car. And many new cars are coming with this built in. We don't need a president to help us with tire pressure. This whole thing is bullshit all around. [b]Obama is bullshit for comparing it with drilling for oil and bringing it up as a campaign tactic.[/b] It's childish. And any of you who fall for this, well, jeez. I just dunno anymore. This country is doomed. Get off the damn guy's jock. Maybe I'll run for president in 2012 and use the campaign slogan, "Don't gun it from the red light, and we can ween ourselves off of oil."[/quote]
I don't understand this thinking, which is the only reason I even entered into the discussion.

Obama did not bring this up as a campaign tactic. He was asked a question- What can the average Joe Blow do to help? And he gave an answer that was applicable to just about every American, as there are only a very few who do not own a car.

Why is this bullshit?

What is bullshit, is the way certain media asshats have twisted a simple answer to a simple question into the talking point of the day. And that folks are lapping it up as some kind of delusional thesis statement for his energy policy.

I don't have a fucking clue what his energy policy is, and I don't care. What I do care about is pointing out the silliness being displayed by the media, and certain constituencies of the population who are lapping it up. Pavlov rung the bell! Time to rally around the new bullshit talking point, everyone!

I don't mean this as a negative reply to you, any more than I meant my previous comments as a negative comment toward Rick. We should all be able to see the fucking spin being put on here, and not have to fall prey to it. Or at least that would be my hope. That's all I am trying to point out.

/rant

*edit* quick question for the "it's bullshit" crowd. Do you have a better answer to the question, what can the average Joe do? Would you look any less foolish than you find Obama to look if I took your answer to the question and claimed you thought you would solve America's dependency on foreign oil with that one reply?

Didn't think so.

Kangar, I ask you to step outside of yourself and look at the anser by Obama. He directly attempted to make fun of the "Republican" crowd with his answer. The response was so elementary, my kids could've come up with his answer.

My last response was not so much an attack on the answer, though, as it was a response on how we are so divided that we now argue over whether or not putting air in our tires will save the world. Airing out tires is not the answer, we all know that. Stop playing games. I'm on neither side, as I can find no love for Obama, nor John. I do laugh at the petty bipartisan arguments we get into anymore.

What we need is to stop with the childish games and find out what it is that we all, as humans, really want to accomplish, then work together towards these goals.

Yeah, I called Obama childish!

[quote name='steggyD' post='685493' date='Aug 8 2008, 05:44 PM']Kangar, I ask you to step outside of yourself and look at the anser by Obama. He directly attempted to make fun of the "Republican" crowd with his answer. The response was so elementary, my kids could've come up with his answer.

My last response was not so much an attack on the answer, though, as it was a response on how we are so divided that we now argue over whether or not putting air in our tires will save the world. Airing out tires is not the answer, we all know that. Stop playing games. I'm on neither side, as I can find no love for Obama, nor John. I do laugh at the petty bipartisan arguments we get into anymore.

What we need is to stop with the childish games and find out what it is that we all, as humans, really want to accomplish, then work together towards these goals.

Yeah, I called Obama childish![/quote]
I think we're largely on the same page. The partisan shit is beyond silly.

But- realize that in the video above, Obama isn't making fun of the repubs, he's making fun of their spin doctors, imo.

The video above is a rebuttal of the silly partisan twisting of his original comments - Only necessary because the "pied pipers of the ditto-heads" chose to take his comment out of context, pretending that Obama was not indeed answering a question, but was instead proclaiming that properly inflated tires would solve our dependency on foreign oil.

What he did wasn't childish. It was necessary to set the record straight. Although we both know faux news won't be playing that clip above on their networks anytime soon, so he's largely preaching to the choir. And those undecided voters who he hopes are watching a different news network.

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='685497' date='Aug 8 2008, 04:33 AM']I think we're largely on the same page. The partisan shit is beyond silly.

But- realize that in the video above, Obama isn't making fun of the repubs, he's making fun of their spin doctors, imo.

The video above is a rebuttal of the silly partisan twisting of his original comments - Only necessary because the "pied pipers of the ditto-heads" chose to take his comment out of context, pretending that Obama was not indeed answering a question, but was instead proclaiming that properly inflated tires would solve our dependency on foreign oil.

What he did wasn't childish. It was necessary to set the record straight. Although we both know faux news won't be playing that clip above on their networks anytime soon, so he's largely preaching to the choir. And those undecided voters who he hopes are watching a different news network.[/quote]

I know he said that was in response to a question, but when I watch the video it doesn't look like it. Does anyone have video of the question being asked?

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='685499' date='Aug 8 2008, 06:57 PM']I know he said that was in response to a question, but when I watch the video it doesn't look like it. Does anyone have video of the question being asked?

[/quote]

If the whole thing turns out to be spin control by Obama, and not a reply to someone else's spin, please feel free to disregard every comment I've made. :mellow:

This is why I generally just ignore the whole election process. I should have just ignored this thread altogether <_<

(though you should still check your tire pressure :ninja: )

Someone on here said that I don't like Obama... That is 100% not true... What scares me the most is that while i disagree with about 3/4rths of what i says, I like the guy... A little too cocky for my tastes, but I do like him... I think that a black man, raised by a white woman in the midwest, that has raised himself up through the ranks of academia and now politics and has a chance to be the president of the United States of America is an awesome story and I have the upmost respect for Obama...

I do however disagree w/ his politics, which is why he is running (not the other stuff), so I am going to point out when I don't agree w/ him...

On my very first post, I mentioned that this is not a winning issue for Obama and that was the main reason I posted in the first place... Even if somehow this comparison makes realistic sense (and like i said then, I don't buy that) it doesn't make logical sense to the average person hearing it... And it comes off as someone that says "why even bother drilling... we can get it done by conservation."

I am calling bullshit on his comparison... I think it is bogus and if you really think that it is realistic, you are as nieve as Obama pretends to be (to appease his far left base). Watch, if he is president we will see a completely different person than who we see now... That is the only silver lining that I see with Obama... no way he is this damn nieve, and he is just curtailing to his base, which you are firmly in Kargar...

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='685510' date='Aug 8 2008, 07:50 AM']I will *not* be voting for Obama, BR. You could not be more mistaken.[/quote]

ok... I don't remember saying that you would be voting for obama... just said you were in his base (liberal)...

But that is interesting... you still get to vote in the US elections, right?

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='685506' date='Aug 8 2008, 08:18 AM']If the whole thing turns out to be spin control by Obama, and not a reply to someone else's spin, please feel free to disregard every comment I've made. :mellow:

This is why I generally just ignore the whole election process. I should have just ignored this thread altogether <_<

(though you should still check your tire pressure :ninja: )[/quote]

Kangar, it wasn't spin control. He was asked a question, and his reply was correct. The Bush administration has said that NEW offshore drilling will result in an additional 200k barrels a day in 2030, and as bengalrick suggested earlier, the conservation side would save 800k barrels a day. So obama was correct in saying what he said.

Time Magazine agrees as well.

[url="http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1829354,00.html"]http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/...1829354,00.html[/url]

And so does Mc Cain!!

[url="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/08/06/mccain-concedes-tire-gaug_n_117178.html"]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/08/06/m...g_n_117178.html[/url]

[quote name='kennethmw' post='685620' date='Aug 8 2008, 12:31 PM']Kangar, it wasn't spin control. He was asked a question, and his reply was correct. The Bush administration has said that NEW offshore drilling will result in an additional 200k barrels a day in 2030, and as bengalrick suggested earlier, the conservation side would save 800k barrels a day. So obama was correct in saying what he said.

[url="http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1829354,00.html"]http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/...1829354,00.html[/url]

And so does Mc Cain!!

[url="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/08/06/mccain-concedes-tire-gaug_n_117178.html"]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/08/06/m...g_n_117178.html[/url][/quote]

:shh:

[quote name='kennethmw' post='685620' date='Aug 8 2008, 12:31 PM']Kangar, it wasn't spin control. He was asked a question, and his reply was correct. The Bush administration has said that NEW offshore drilling will result in an additional 200k barrels a day in 2030, and as bengalrick suggested earlier, the conservation side would save 800k barrels a day. So obama was correct in saying what he said.

And so does Mc Cain!!

[url="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/08/06/mccain-concedes-tire-gaug_n_117178.html"]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/08/06/m...g_n_117178.html[/url][/quote]

that is assuming that 1/4 of the people are grossly under or over inflated, and all of them also need a tune up... And also assuming that every single one of those people go out and do that tonight, and then keep it up on a regular basis... As soon as you can get all of that done, yeah you can save a bunch of oil...

and if anyone believes this is realistic, I have an electric generator that I can sell you...

[quote name='bengalrick' post='685627' date='Aug 8 2008, 01:54 PM']that is assuming that 1/4 of the people are grossly under or over inflated, and all of them also need a tune up... And also assuming that every single one of those people go out and do that tonight, and then keep it up on a regular basis... As soon as you can get all of that done, yeah you can save a bunch of oil...

and if anyone believes this is realistic, I have an electric generator that I can sell you...[/quote]

I guess that's the pessimistic way of looking at it. Thank god in other times in our history, the american people were able to pull together for the common good, to help change things, like during WWII. But I guess with all the "me first" people that are currently our citizens, it's just totally impossible, for anybody to give a damn. Let's just all complain, shall we?

ok... I do all of the above, so I am doing my part...

I also realize that there are people that are 150 lbs. over weight that eat out every day... and people that have 5 DUI's that still drink and drive... and people that have to take off their oxygen masks to smoke cigerettes...

you don't get that 3/4ths of people do conserve and are doing their part... And the 1/4 that doesn't is in that category for a reason... Unless you are also in favor of R.E.T.A.R.D. (sorry if i am overusing your funny, homer) ?

[quote name='kennethmw' post='685637' date='Aug 8 2008, 01:06 PM']I guess that's the pessimistic way of looking at it. Thank god in other times in our history, the american people were able to pull together for the common good, to help change things, like during WWII. But I guess with all the "me first" people that are currently our citizens, it's just totally impossible, for anybody to give a damn. Let's just all complain, shall we?[/quote]

From "ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country"... to "thats unrealistic"

God Bless a[b]ME[/b]rica

Archived