fucking finally

Nati Ice

Why is oil always only associated w/ gas and cars though? Why not conserve plastic, which also uses a whole hell of alot of oil... Why not the push to get off plastic as well? How much could we save if everyone recycled everything they should?

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='685644' date='Aug 8 2008, 01:17 PM']How about we meet in the middle here?

Some offshore drilling and during your yearly inspection of your car (which imo all states should do) one of the requirements be that your tires are properly inflated?[/quote]

I'm in...

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='685643' date='Aug 8 2008, 01:15 PM']From "ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country"... to "thats unrealistic"

God Bless a[b]ME[/b]rica[/quote]

FDR didn't ask us to walk on water though... something is either realistic, or its not...

[quote name='bengalrick' post='685647' date='Aug 8 2008, 01:20 PM']FDR didn't ask us to walk on water though... something is either realistic, or its not...[/quote]

no but we have become a me first socicety in which we dont want to do our part

[quote name='bengalrick' post='685647' date='Aug 8 2008, 02:20 PM']FDR didn't ask us to walk on water though... something is either realistic, or its not...[/quote]

So you think it's unrealistic for people in america to spend 98 cents on a tire gauge, and check their tire pressure once a month? Especially, today when people are trying to do anything to maximize their fuel economy? I'm sorry I just can't fathom that kind of thinking. I guess I think that if we asked americans to do this, especially if the president did it from his bully pulpit, most americans would take it to heart. What pissed me off, was that the republican party was mocking the idea, even though a number of congress members have it listed on their website. Just Ignorant.

Of the 3 examples that I gave, I would rank this as the 4rth most important... And people still do the other 3 with every warning imaginable... Smoking will KILL you... If you are on oxygen, you are damn close... yet, I'm sure there are people in that person's immediate family that still smokes... Being overweight KILLS you... yet, I bet that you couldn't pry that overweight person from their double cheese burger... DUI's KILL people, yet people still ignore the warning AND THE ENFORCEMENT...

Do i have to spell it out for you? Some people are freaking dumb...

I'm against vehicle inspections. Like anything else that is meant for good, greed ruins it. Vehicle inspections are a legal form of extortion. The shops take your car, tell you something is wrong, and make you pay ungodly amounts of money to fix it or else you won't get your sticker. Then again, the next year, they tell you the same thing is wrong. Vehicle inspections should be outlawed.

By the way, if one has tire inflation problems, it is likely that the tires will be underinflated in less than a year. A slow leak could cause this to happen weekly, I've had that before.

[quote name='steggyD' post='685713' date='Aug 8 2008, 03:36 PM']I'm against vehicle inspections. Like anything else that is meant for good, greed ruins it. Vehicle inspections are a legal form of extortion. The shops take your car, tell you something is wrong, and make you pay ungodly amounts of money to fix it or else you won't get your sticker. Then again, the next year, they tell you the same thing is wrong. Vehicle inspections should be outlawed.

By the way, if one has tire inflation problems, it is likely that the tires will be underinflated in less than a year. A slow leak could cause this to happen weekly, I've had that before.[/quote]

the same could be said of any industry. Vehicle inspections keep the old klunkers that have no business on the roads off of it.

[quote name='bengalrick' post='685605' date='Aug 9 2008, 02:59 AM']ok... I don't remember saying that you would be voting for obama... just said you were in his base (liberal)...

But that is interesting... you still get to vote in the US elections, right?[/quote]
A- I am not a "liberal". I am an independent. The only time I have ever voted dem was against W in '04.
B- Obama is not a liberal either. By a long shot.

But yes, I do still get to vote. B)

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='685732' date='Aug 8 2008, 05:05 PM']the same could be said of any industry. Vehicle inspections keep the old klunkers that have no business on the roads off of it.[/quote]
That's not always true. I have a safe vehicle in my garage right now that can not be driven in NY. It is an AWD, which is wonderful for the winters here. But due to vehicle inspections, it is not allowed to be driven. Why? Oh, because of a check engine light. If that light comes on, your car can not pass the inspection. It is an old car, 200,000 miles, but could still put another life into it, if allowed, you know, like drive a car into the ground. It has fairly new tires, brakes, etc. All the lights work, everything. But a damn light keeps it off the street. Tell me that's fair.

[quote name='steggyD' post='685773' date='Aug 8 2008, 07:28 PM']That's not always true. I have a safe vehicle in my garage right now that can not be driven in NY. It is an AWD, which is wonderful for the winters here. But due to vehicle inspections, it is not allowed to be driven. Why? Oh, because of a check engine light. If that light comes on, your car can not pass the inspection. It is an old car, 200,000 miles, but could still put another life into it, if allowed, you know, like drive a car into the ground. It has fairly new tires, brakes, etc. All the lights work, everything. But a damn light keeps it off the street. Tell me that's fair.[/quote]

Steggy, I work in the car business, and if you bring a vehicle in for trade with a check engine light on, I'm going to give you less for it than if it is off. I know that 70% of the time it's a oxygen sensor, which is a $200 fix, but sometimes its significantly more. If the car is that good, take it to the shop and see whats wrong, get it fixed, and pass the damn inspection. There is a reason why that light is called a warning light.

[quote name='kennethmw' post='685911' date='Aug 9 2008, 08:16 AM']Steggy, I work in the car business, and if you bring a vehicle in for trade with a check engine light on, I'm going to give you less for it than if it is off. I know that 70% of the time it's a oxygen sensor, which is a $200 fix, but sometimes its significantly more. If the car is that good, take it to the shop and see whats wrong, get it fixed, and pass the damn inspection. There is a reason why that light is called a warning light.[/quote]

i worked in the car business in the past as well, and although you are right, it is also a way for the used car manager to try to steal a trade in... If it comes down to it, and the deal needs some more money to get done, the used car manager will then start to use his brain and figure out if there is a ticking or if there is really a problem...

Its simply leverage for the sales person when low balling your trade in....

[quote name='kennethmw' post='685911' date='Aug 9 2008, 08:16 AM']Steggy, I work in the car business, and if you bring a vehicle in for trade with a check engine light on, I'm going to give you less for it than if it is off. I know that 70% of the time it's a oxygen sensor, which is a $200 fix, but sometimes its significantly more. If the car is that good, take it to the shop and see whats wrong, get it fixed, and pass the damn inspection. There is a reason why that light is called a warning light.[/quote]

Yea probably an oxygen sensor or catalytic converter.

Well, here's the thing. We're not all mechanics and if you move to a new area where you don't know who to trust, then you are at the mercy of "the professionals". This comment is in relation to the vehicle inspection business.

[quote name='steggyD' post='686028' date='Aug 10 2008, 03:02 AM']Well, here's the thing. We're not all mechanics and if you move to a new area where you don't know who to trust, then you are at the mercy of "the professionals". This comment is in relation to the vehicle inspection business.[/quote]

[url="http://cartalk.com/content/mechx/"]http://cartalk.com/content/mechx/[/url] <-- find a reputable mechanic here

In order to avoid conflict of interest issues most states' inspections are not performed by local garages, rather by state-run inspection stations. Not the case in New York?

[quote name='VonBlade' post='686050' date='Aug 10 2008, 01:06 PM']Did you know you can drive a Hummer around the world for the same amount of CO2 as flying a jet from New York to London?

Perhaps we should concentrate on reducing flights then eh?[/quote]

the exorbitant costs of airfare should reduce this problem forthwith.

[quote name='CincyInDC' post='686048' date='Aug 10 2008, 04:59 AM'][url="http://cartalk.com/content/mechx/"]http://cartalk.com/content/mechx/[/url] <-- find a reputable mechanic here

In order to avoid conflict of interest issues most states' inspections are not performed by local garages, rather by state-run inspection stations. Not the case in New York?[/quote]
No, they are local garages, oil-change places, anyone who has been given "permission to do an inspection. Big-time conflict of interests. My wife took our old Intrepid to Sears every year, and every year they would tell her the car had the same exact problem as last year and charge us our annual $250 fix. Well, maybe if they would fix it right the first time around, they wouldn't have to fix the same damn thing every year. I kept telling her to take it somewhere else, but she's damn stubborn.

Archived