Pretend your the Reds GM

Jason

Who stays?
Who goes?
Who's "untouchable"?

Have Hannigan and Dickerson earned spots for 2009?

Who's the 5th starter?

Is Cordero or Burton the closer?

Who, or what do you target in free agency?

Keep it fairly reasonable, we aren't gonna spend like the Yankees or Red Sox.

[quote name='Jason' post='695967' date='Sep 5 2008, 09:52 PM']Who stays?
Who goes?
Who's "untouchable"?

Have Hannigan and Dickerson earned spots for 2009?

Who's the 5th starter?

Is Cordero or Burton the closer?

Who, or what do you target in free agency?

Keep it fairly reasonable, we aren't gonna spend like the Yankees or Red Sox.[/quote]

who stays...im not gonna list 20 or so guys right now. i might do that later. resign weathers for sure.

who goes, most of the FAs.

who's untouchable: bronson, aaron, cueto, volquez, phillips, bruce, votto, ee

5th starter = a fight between bailey, maloney, thompson, ramirez and whoever else can step it up from minors. best man wins. the rest go back to AAA. right now the front runners would be Ramirez/Bailey. Ramirez looked good the other night as a starter and then in relief and Bailey is healthy again.

cordero is the closer easily. he has a 3.52 ERA. its hard for a closer to be really successful when they arent in save situations that often and arent on a consistent schedule. most GMs/coaches have been quoted as saying this before.

both have earned spots. dickerson more of a platoon till we get a bigger sample. hannigan is good enough with the SPs that even if his bat ends up sucking we can stick with them.

my # 1 target is milton bradley. id target carl crawford if he goes to FA. even if dickerson can be a full time player we could use another good speedy OF. target a good bullpen arm. i would give milton anything he wants. he fixes the power bat, guy who can hit for avg, guy who can hit for clutch, improves our defense and gives us a needed RH bat and OF.

Speaking of GMs, in case no one got this from Bob Castellini and Walt Jocketty (it came via e-mail to me Aug 19th). I searched, but didn't see it had been posted.

[quote]Dear Fans,

Thank you for your loyalty and support of the Cincinnati Reds. You are extremely vital to the success of the Reds, and it is important we share with you the thinking behind our recent personnel decisions.

Since taking ownership of this franchise, we have aggressively tried to improve our Major League roster for the purpose of restoring championship baseball to Cincinnati. We have sought and signed proven players. We have extended the contracts of select current players. We added Dusty Baker, a proven winning manager. And, we have capitalized on our burgeoning younger players like Joey Votto, Jay Bruce and Johnny Cueto.

We had high expectations for the 2008 season. Unfortunately the team has not played up to our expectations and we have sustained injuries to key players within our starting lineup and rotation.

We opted to trade Ken Griffey Jr. and Adam Dunn at this time because we believe it provided the best outcome for the long-term success of the organization. By executing these inevitable changes now, we secured more players as part of our focus towards building a deeper, stronger inventory of young talent.

We are pleased that the trades allow Griffey and Dunn the opportunity to play for teams in tight division races. Both Ken and Adam made significant contributions to the Reds and we are extremely proud and grateful they wore the Reds uniform.

While the run production generated by these two veterans will not be quickly replaced, we chose to endure the short-term ramifications for the sake of building a strong, competitive team for 2009 and many seasons to come.

The vast majority of our 50 draft picks were signed, culminating last week with first-rounder Yonder Alonso and a pair of talented pitchers. Our expanded scouting operations also signed Juan Duran from the Dominican Republic and Yorman Rodriguez from Venezuela, who are arguably the best amateur free agent position players from their respective countries.

As we near September, we will continue to provide valuable playing time to our young players and new acquisitions who we feel can become significant contributors at the Major League level. We ask your continued trust and patience as we build the roster that will get us back on top. We appreciate your support and look forward to seeing you at the ballpark.

Sincerely,[/quote]

• 3 weeks later...
Here's how I break it down:

Starting Pitchers: Harang, Arroyo, Volquez, Cueto

Relief Pitchers: Cordero, Burton, Bray

Position Players: Votto, Bruce, Phillips, Encarnacion

Of our free agents, I'd keep Weathers, Hairston, and probably Affeldt.

Keppinger and Alex Gonzalez would be the likely shortstops. The catcher spot is very much up for grabs and could be addressed in free agency. Dickerson and possibly Stubbs could compete for spots in the outfield. I would be very surprised if the Reds didn't pursue a big bat at OF in free agency. I'm optimistic about the young arms that the Reds have assembled behind Volquez and Cueto. Ramirez, Maloney, Bailey, and Thompson give me hope for 2009 and beyond.

• 3 weeks later...
here's my 5th starter. Why the fuck not he's only making 8 million next year.

The San Diego Padres have begun to exchange names with teams interested in All-Star pitcher Jake Peavy, in what appears to be an aggressive effort to maximize return on the right-hander, who is signed to a contract that keeps him under a team's control through 2013. And increasingly, it seems that team won't be the Padres.
Jake Peavy
Peavy

Starting Pitcher
San Diego Padres

2008 Season Stats GM W L BB K ERA
27 10 11 59 166 2.85
Peavy has a no-trade clause and could conceivably kill all proposed deals. But Peavy is open, in particular, to playing for National League contenders, sources say. The Atlanta Braves, who went into this offseason devoted to a pursuit of frontline starting pitching, are among the teams "hot" on Peavy, according to one source. San Diego, too, is said to be willing to deal with the rival Dodgers, who could conceivably have some excellent young players to dangle, like outfielder Matt Kemp and pitchers Clayton Kershaw and James McDonald. The Padres intended to wait until the Dodgers completed their playoff run before engaging in serious talks with L.A.

The Braves have a lot of available cash -- they scouted A.J. Burnett and Derek Lowe, who may both become free agents next month -- and a solid stable of prospects, including outfielder Jordan Schaefer and pitcher Tommy Hanson. At least one team the Padres have spoken with about Peavy have demonstrated an interest in expanding the deal to include shortstop Khalil Greene, whose $6.5 million salary the Padres would like to move, and Atlanta is relatively flush with middle infielders, with Yunel Escobar and Brent Lillibridge.

Some of the other NL teams that might be a fit for Peavy include the Cardinals, who face an uncertain situation with Chris Carpenter, or the Astros, or the Brewers, who stand to lose both CC Sabathia and Ben Sheets to free agency.

If AL teams get involved, the Yankees might be a fit, although New York GM Brian Cashman has made it clear in the past that he wants to adhere to a path of player development. That stance could change if the Yankees have changed their internal evaluations of young p layers who struggled in 2008, such as Phil Hughes, Ian Kennedy and Melky Cabrera.

Multiple sources consider it likely the Padres will deal Peavy in the weeks ahead, and that is a virtual certainty that he will be traded before the July 31 deadline next season. The Padres are seeking at least two young pitchers in return, along with someone who can become the team's everyday center fielder sometime in the immediate to near future.

Peavy, 27, will make $8 million in 2009, $15 million in 2010, $16 million in 2011 and $17 million in 2012, and he has a 2013 option for $22 million, with a $4 million buyout.

Last year, the Twins found that the market for Johan Santana to be relatively lukewarm, primarily because Santana was in line to become a free agent after the 2008 season and teams like the Red Sox and Yankees were leery of absorbing the double-barreled cost of the prospects and a big-money, long-term contract. But in Peavy's case, he is under contract for the next four seasons, meaning that the Braves or the Dodgers or some other team would be assured of cost certainty.

Peavy went 10-11 with a 2.85 ERA in 27 starts for the Padres in 2008, his seventh season in the big leagues. Peavy is 86-62 in his career, with a 3.25 ERA, and he has averaged about a strikeout per inning -- he has 1,256 strikeouts in 1,261 innings.

Peavy won the 2007 NL Cy Young Award, after going 19-6 with a 2.54 ERA.

Last winter, the Twins' trade talks involving Santana dragged out over months, and in the end, Minnesota was left to take an imperfect deal from one very serious suitor, the Mets. This is the sort of scenario that might prompt the Padres to conclude a Peavy deal relatively quickly. "If they wait until the free agency period begins, some [interested] teams might get antsy waiting on the Peavy thing and then go sign a free agent," said one executive. "Right now, he's a market of one."

[quote name='turningpoint' post='714456' date='Oct 16 2008, 10:42 PM']here's my 5th starter. Why the fuck not he's only making 8 million next year.

The San Diego Padres have begun to exchange names with teams interested in All-Star pitcher Jake Peavy, in what appears to be an aggressive effort to maximize return on the right-hander, who is signed to a contract that keeps him under a team's control through 2013. And increasingly, it seems that team won't be the Padres.
Jake Peavy
Peavy

Starting Pitcher
San Diego Padres

2008 Season Stats GM W L BB K ERA
27 10 11 59 166 2.85
Peavy has a no-trade clause and could conceivably kill all proposed deals. But Peavy is open, in particular, to playing for National League contenders, sources say. The Atlanta Braves, who went into this offseason devoted to a pursuit of frontline starting pitching, are among the teams "hot" on Peavy, according to one source. San Diego, too, is said to be willing to deal with the rival Dodgers, who could conceivably have some excellent young players to dangle, like outfielder Matt Kemp and pitchers Clayton Kershaw and James McDonald. The Padres intended to wait until the Dodgers completed their playoff run before engaging in serious talks with L.A.

The Braves have a lot of available cash -- they scouted A.J. Burnett and Derek Lowe, who may both become free agents next month -- and a solid stable of prospects, including outfielder Jordan Schaefer and pitcher Tommy Hanson. At least one team the Padres have spoken with about Peavy have demonstrated an interest in expanding the deal to include shortstop Khalil Greene, whose $6.5 million salary the Padres would like to move, and Atlanta is relatively flush with middle infielders, with Yunel Escobar and Brent Lillibridge.

Some of the other NL teams that might be a fit for Peavy include the Cardinals, who face an uncertain situation with Chris Carpenter, or the Astros, or the Brewers, who stand to lose both CC Sabathia and Ben Sheets to free agency.

If AL teams get involved, the Yankees might be a fit, although New York GM Brian Cashman has made it clear in the past that he wants to adhere to a path of player development. That stance could change if the Yankees have changed their internal evaluations of young p layers who struggled in 2008, such as Phil Hughes, Ian Kennedy and Melky Cabrera.

Multiple sources consider it likely the Padres will deal Peavy in the weeks ahead, and that is a virtual certainty that he will be traded before the July 31 deadline next season. The Padres are seeking at least two young pitchers in return, along with someone who can become the team's everyday center fielder sometime in the immediate to near future.

Peavy, 27, will make $8 million in 2009, $15 million in 2010, $16 million in 2011 and $17 million in 2012, and he has a 2013 option for $22 million, with a $4 million buyout.

Last year, the Twins found that the market for Johan Santana to be relatively lukewarm, primarily because Santana was in line to become a free agent after the 2008 season and teams like the Red Sox and Yankees were leery of absorbing the double-barreled cost of the prospects and a big-money, long-term contract. But in Peavy's case, he is under contract for the next four seasons, meaning that the Braves or the Dodgers or some other team would be assured of cost certainty.

Peavy went 10-11 with a 2.85 ERA in 27 starts for the Padres in 2008, his seventh season in the big leagues. Peavy is 86-62 in his career, with a 3.25 ERA, and he has averaged about a strikeout per inning -- he has 1,256 strikeouts in 1,261 innings.

Peavy won the 2007 NL Cy Young Award, after going 19-6 with a 2.54 ERA.

Last winter, the Twins' trade talks involving Santana dragged out over months, and in the end, Minnesota was left to take an imperfect deal from one very serious suitor, the Mets. This is the sort of scenario that might prompt the Padres to conclude a Peavy deal relatively quickly. "If they wait until the free agency period begins, some [interested] teams might get antsy waiting on the Peavy thing and then go sign a free agent," said one executive. "Right now, he's a market of one."[/quote]

I don't know. I like our young starters. I think the only way I would sink a bunch of cash into a free agent or traded for pitcher is if he's a lefty, and an ABSOLUTE stud.

[quote name='Jason' post='714589' date='Oct 17 2008, 12:51 PM']I don't know. I like our young starters. I think the only way I would sink a bunch of cash into a free agent or traded for pitcher is if he's a lefty, and an ABSOLUTE stud.[/quote]

I kinda agree, I mean if we are gonna trade for a big name player I would rather have a guy that will bat .300 with 30 homers and 100 rbis. Thats really what this team needs, unfortunately its gonna be tough to find one of those. We just need a consistent run producer that hits for average not a guy like junior or dunn that can hit 40 homers but bats .240.

[quote name='turningpoint' post='714456' date='Oct 16 2008, 10:42 PM']The Braves have a lot of available cash -- they scouted A.J. Burnett and [b]Derek Lowe[/b], who may both become free agents next month -- and a solid stable of prospects, including outfielder Jordan Schaefer and pitcher Tommy Hanson. At least one team the Padres have spoken with about Peavy have demonstrated an interest in expanding the deal to include shortstop Khalil Greene, whose $6.5 million salary the Padres would like to move, and Atlanta is relatively flush with middle infielders, with Yunel Escobar and Brent Lillibridge.[/quote]
There's your guy right there.
I know he may be a little on the "experienced" side
but he's the definition of a ground ball pitcher which
would fit perfectly in this ballpark.
He also has winning and playoff experience.
I see it as an excellent signing.

Harang
Volquez
Arroyo
Cueto
Lowe

With Bailey and Thompson in case of injury

Me likey B)

Matt Holliday.

This would never happen, but it would be awesome.

I realize he only has one year left and it would likely take a bunch of prospects but he would be a monster at GABP and exactly what we need.

I wish we'd give manny a try, I don't think he'd come, but it would be worth the try.

He's an absolute stud, and with the yankees and Bosox out of the picture, I don't see why not.

plug him in left field, and then go after another ace on the pitching staff.

This team could win the NL central with 1-2 great players.

Archived