My Mostly Realistic Dream Draft

Jason

[b]1. Aaron Curry[/b] LB Wake Forrest - He could step in and start right away at either SLB or MLB. This is the "Mostly Realistic" part. I'm not sure he makes it to 6.
[b]2. Alex Mack[/b] C Cal - Starts at center for the next 10 years. Won the Drady award so he's smart. Potential to be Richie Braham but better.
[b]3. Fenuki Tupou[/b] OT Oregon - at 6'5" 333 pounds has the body to play either G or RT. My intent is he provides depth at both positions right away.
[b]4. Bruce Johnson[/b] CB Miami - A little on the small side at 5'11" 182, but runs a sub 4.4 40.
[b]4 (comp) Philip Hunt[/b] DE Houston - A little short at 6'2" but good speed and produced big time at Houston. He had 14 sacks and 18.5 TFL.
[b]5. Korry Sheets[/b] RB Purdue - Decent speed and a good receiver out of the backfield.
[b]6. Kevin Huber [/b]P UC. Best punter in the NCAA.
[b]7. Quinn Johnson[/b] FB LSU - will be what JJ was supposed to be.
[b]7 (comp) Nader Abdallah[/b] DT OSU. Big body at 6'5" and 310. Was a late bloomer at Ohio State but played well his senior year.

[b]CFA - Todd Boeckman [/b]QB OSU - He's not very mobile, but he's tall and throws a great deep ball. Will be developed into Carson's backup with a strong enough arm that we would not have to change the offense if we bring him in.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='744244' date='Feb 3 2009, 08:18 PM']That would be a pretty sweet draft, [b]and I do think Curry will be there at #6.[/b]

I think you have Huber, Johnson, and Sheets each going later than they will though. I think Sheetz will go in the late 3rd after he runs at the combine, Huber in the 5th, and Johnson in the 4th or 5th.[/quote]

Whys that? I don't think I've seen you explain anywhere. I really hope he is there too.

I would also like to see a 5th rounder on Huber, we've pretty much thrown away 5th rounders in the past so it would be nice to get someone productive even if its a reach.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='744270' date='Feb 3 2009, 08:26 PM']Whys that? I don't think I've seen you explain anywhere. I really hope he is there too.

I would also like to see a 5th rounder on Huber, we've pretty much thrown away 5th rounders in the past so it would be nice to get someone productive even if its a reach.[/quote]

besides the fact that I don't see a LB going top 5 in general (rarely happens), I just see things playing out differently. Lions won't go LB, nor will Rams, at least not at #2. Chiefs need a LB but again #3 is super high for a LB and if Pioli follows anything he learned in New England, he'll go the veteran route at LB. Also, they have more pressing needs such as a QB, OL help, and maybe a RB considering LJ wants out and has threatened to retire in the past. I could see Pioli going after a franchise QB. Also wouldn't rule out Crabtree here to pair with Bowe.

Seahawks will be all over Crabtree IMO, if not the Browns will. Seahawks also need OL help and may go that route. Hasselbeck's still their guy and they will try and protect him or give him weapons. Some have mentioned they are losing Leroy Hill, but they still have Tatupu and Peterson as starters. I think they'll grab a LB in the 2nd-4th rounds to plug Hill's spot.

The Browns, call it a gut feeling, I just don't see them taking Curry there. The new GM is likely going to want to trade down and pick up extra picks the previous GM wasted. Further, I think they'll take one of the CB's on the board before LB. I also just don't see Curry in a 3-4 system even though I'm sure he can play it. They won't take an OL here, nor one of the QB's obviously. Could see them trading down to grab one of the RB's. The team trading up likely won't be trading up for a LB.

I could see the Rams or Chiefs taking him at #4 or #5 if they are able to trade down and get extra picks, but I don't think there's anyone there the Seahawks or Browns would trade up for.

So that leaves Curry, 1 or 2 of the OL, and then a slew of others (Orakpo, Brown, Davis, etc...) sitting there at #6.

[quote name='cinci1fan1' post='744223' date='Feb 3 2009, 06:29 PM']:) I like that draft except for the fact of who would be the starting RT. Are you expecting any FA signing for that one Jason?[/quote]

My offensive line with this draft would be, left to right, Collins or Levi, Nate Livings, Alex Mack, Bobbie Williams and Andrew Whitworth.

[quote name='JC' post='744314' date='Feb 3 2009, 10:27 PM']I just don't see Curry getting past the Browns and I really don't see Mack getting past the Steelers.[/quote]

wouldn't it be nice to trade down with the eagles and solve both those issues by taking laurenitis and mack....or britton and mack, for that matter, then going after a LB with our high 2nd round pick?

the one thing i noticed time and again during the super bowl was the steelers giving up pressure right up the gut. you can bet your ass they'll take mack, unless arizona does, whereby they'd likely take unger. should that happen, they'll get stronger at the position and cure one of the few weak areas they have with mack becoming a 10 year centerpiece to their OL. that would piss me off royally! it's hard to catch up when the competition keeps getting better.

[quote name='bengaled' post='744387' date='Feb 4 2009, 10:44 AM']wouldn't it be nice to trade down with the eagles and solve both those issues by taking laurenitis and mack....or britton and mack, for that matter, then going after a LB with our high 2nd round pick?

the one thing i noticed time and again during the super bowl was the steelers giving up pressure right up the gut. you can bet your ass they'll take mack, unless arizona does, whereby they'd likely take unger. should that happen, they'll get stronger at the position and cure one of the few weak areas they have with mack becoming a 10 year centerpiece to their OL. that would piss me off royally! it's hard to catch up when the competition keeps getting better.[/quote]
The only way I see the Eagles trading us their two first rounders is if BOTH their OTs retire/don't get resigned (which is a possiblity based on the Philly radio I get to hear) and the OT they covet is still on board when we're up.

IMO if both their tackles do leave they'd probably rather try to trade with KC or STL before the draft to assure they get one of the top 2 than trading with us at #6.

I believe moving CJ to the Skins is our best chance to get back into the first round.

BTW, would anyone else be in favor of trading our 2nd rounder and 4th rounder to the Cards at #31 to pick up the best C on board in front of the stealers? We might end up with a 3rd round comp so I don't think we'd lose much with the 4th. This would make my draft, regardless of who we got at #6.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='744409' date='Feb 4 2009, 11:14 AM']BTW, would anyone else be in favor of trading our 2nd rounder and 4th rounder to the Cards at #31 to pick up the best C on board in front of the stealers? We might end up with a 3rd round comp so I don't think we'd lose much with the 4th. This would make my draft, regardless of who we got at #6.[/quote]
boy that's a tough one and it's one i've been tossing around in my head quite a bit. i know we disagree on our priority at #6, but in my way of thinking we'd get a solid starting LT, the best center, and maybe LB or RB with matthews/jennings in the third + our comp pick. yeah, i think i'd do it, but my ass would bleed in the process. :lol:

mack is probably my favorite player in this whole draft, so i may be biased. like i said, i sure as hell don't want to see him in black and puke twice a year for the next decade or so.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='744409' date='Feb 4 2009, 11:14 AM']The only way I see the Eagles trading us their two first rounders is if BOTH their OTs retire/don't get resigned (which is a possiblity based on the Philly radio I get to hear) and the OT they covet is still on board when we're up.

IMO if both their tackles do leave they'd probably rather try to trade with KC or STL before the draft to assure they get one of the top 2 than trading with us at #6.[/quote]

the eagles would get a helluva bargain in the trade with us for their #21+#28. that might be asking too much to expect to move up further than that, especially to #2 or #3. they'd likely have to kick in more, which i'm certain they're not likely to do.

[quote name='bengaled' post='744567' date='Feb 5 2009, 12:52 AM']the eagles would get a helluva bargain in the trade with us for their #21+#28. that might be asking too much to expect to move up further than that, especially to #2 or #3. they'd likely have to kick in more, which i'm certain they're not likely to do.[/quote]
Well I don't think its very realistic that they move up to 2 or 3 either, but it seems like a gamble to trade up to #6 to get one of the top 3 LTs with the potential for all of em to be off the board at that point. I don't think they'd make the move until we were on the clock and their guy was still there.

Maybe they'd trade us one of the 1sts for a tagged TJ?

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='744609' date='Feb 5 2009, 08:44 AM']Well I don't think its very realistic that they move up to 2 or 3 either, but it seems like a gamble to trade up to #6 to get one of the top 3 LTs with the potential for all of em to be off the board at that point. I don't think they'd make the move until we were on the clock and their guy was still there.

Maybe they'd trade us one of the 1sts for a tagged TJ?[/quote]

yeah, if it were to happen, it'd likely be while we're on the clock, not that the parameters of such a trade couldn't be addressed ahead of time dependent on all factors lining up.

...or ocho stinko, which would be my druther. i see tj as having more shelf life and value and am a big proponent for retaining him.

another thing in regards to 3 OT being gone by the 6th pick...if that scenario were to happen, curry would almost certainly be there. we take him and don't look back. THEN, we get on the phone to shop a trade for a low 1st to leapfrog ari/pitt.

[quote name='bengaled' post='744878' date='Feb 6 2009, 10:11 AM']yeah, if it were to happen, it'd likely be while we're on the clock, not that the parameters of such a trade couldn't be addressed ahead of time dependent on all factors lining up.

...or ocho stinko, which would be my druther. i see tj as having more shelf life and value and am a big proponent for retaining him.

[b]another thing in regards to 3 OT being gone by the 6th pick...if that scenario were to happen, curry would almost certainly be there. we take him and don't look back. THEN, we get on the phone to shop a trade for a low 1st to leapfrog ari/pitt.[/b][/quote]

No doubt

[quote name='bengaled' post='744878' date='Feb 6 2009, 10:11 AM']another thing in regards to 3 OT being gone by the 6th pick...if that scenario were to happen, curry would almost certainly be there. we take him and don't look back. THEN, we get on the phone to shop a trade for a low 1st to leapfrog ari/pitt.[/quote]
Oh lord. I just thought of the perfect situation. Tag TJ. Take either Curry or Oher/Smith/Monroe and then to dick pittsburgh we trade TJ our 2nd round pick and 3rd round pick and some cash to Zona for there 1st and Boldin and grab Mack. God.

It's really a dream. It probably wouldn't even work in Madden. But you have to think that their 1st round pick is almost similar in value to our second and third. It would probably be hard to work out the TJ for Boldin thing. But that would make us an instant contender.

[quote name='JC' post='744984' date='Feb 6 2009, 07:08 PM']Oh lord. I just thought of the perfect situation. Tag TJ. Take either Curry or Oher/Smith/Monroe and then to dick pittsburgh we trade TJ our 2nd round pick and 3rd round pick and some cash to Zona for there 1st and Boldin and grab Mack. God.

It's really a dream. It probably wouldn't even work in Madden. [b]But you have to think that their 1st round pick is almost similar in value to our second and third.[/b] It would probably be hard to work out the TJ for Boldin thing. But that would make us an instant contender.[/quote]
According to the draft value chart (BTW this is the most ridiculous and arbitrary thing in the world) in the sticky link up top, if we gave them our 2nd and 4th it would worth 20 or so more points than their 1st.

I love the idea, Boldin is a stud and we'd stick it to the Steelers. From what I understand Boldin's contract is pretty big next year which is why there has been so much speculation about him being gone. So we'd probably have to have a new contract worked out.

But what are the chances that the Cardinals want another big $$ WR? Especially since they could just keep the younger, more accomplished Boldin for big $$ anyway.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='745090' date='Feb 7 2009, 12:09 PM']According to the draft value chart (BTW this is the most ridiculous and arbitrary thing in the world) in the sticky link up top, if we gave them our 2nd and 4th it would worth 20 or so more points than their 1st.

I love the idea, Boldin is a stud and we'd stick it to the Steelers. From what I understand Boldin's contract is pretty big next year which is why there has been so much speculation about him being gone. So we'd probably have to have a new contract worked out.

But what are the chances that the Cardinals want another big $$ WR? Especially since they could just keep the younger, more accomplished Boldin for big $$ anyway.[/quote]
Thats the only reason i think it wouldn't work. But it seems as if the bridges have been burnt in AZ when they gave Fitz a contract extension instead of Boldin.

[quote name='JC' post='745119' date='Feb 7 2009, 03:40 PM']Thats the only reason i think it wouldn't work. But it seems as if the bridges have been burnt in AZ when they gave Fitz a contract extension instead of Boldin.[/quote]

I can't see how Boldin's not gone from AZ. He's openly stated the relationship can't be repaired, and honestly they are in a good position to get rid of him. Fitzgerald has risen his game to a whole nother level, Breaston has emerged and can be a #2, Urban is a good WR, and they have Early Doucet waiting in the wings as well. Boldin is expendable.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='745152' date='Feb 7 2009, 08:55 PM']I can't see how Boldin's not gone from AZ. He's openly stated the relationship can't be repaired, and honestly they are in a good position to get rid of him. Fitzgerald has risen his game to a whole nother level, Breaston has emerged and can be a #2, Urban is a good WR, and they have Early Doucet waiting in the wings as well. Boldin is expendable.[/quote]

The counter to that would be that Boldin is signed for two more years at relatively tiny salaries ($2.75 million in 2009, $3 million in 2010). If he refuses to re-work his deal, the Cards can retain him for two years before letting him walk. Boldin himself has said he would play out the rest of his deal, but he won't reconsider signing with the Cards at this point. They can't force him to re-sign, but he can't force a trade either. He can sit out, but that probably wouldn't help his case very much around the league and he'll still be nearly 30 years old by the time he gets a new deal. IMO, if Boldin is smart, he'll get paid now while he is healthy and Arizona has tons of cap space. The Cards have enough room to keep Warner and Dansby and still give Boldin a new deal. Besides, although they might be able to absorb losing Boldin, the Cards are a much more dangerous team with him. Arizona really doesn't have any incentive to move him, IMO.

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' post='745300' date='Feb 8 2009, 10:34 PM']The counter to that would be that Boldin is signed for two more years at relatively tiny salaries ($2.75 million in 2009, $3 million in 2010). If he refuses to re-work his deal, the Cards can retain him for two years before letting him walk. Boldin himself has said he would play out the rest of his deal, but he won't reconsider signing with the Cards at this point. They can't force him to re-sign, but he can't force a trade either. He can sit out, but that probably wouldn't help his case very much around the league and he'll still be nearly 30 years old by the time he gets a new deal. IMO, if Boldin is smart, he'll get paid now while he is healthy and Arizona has tons of cap space. The Cards have enough room to keep Warner and Dansby and still give Boldin a new deal. Besides, although they might be able to absorb losing Boldin, the Cards are a much more dangerous team with him. Arizona really doesn't have any incentive to move him, IMO.[/quote]

yes but you could trade Boldin for atleast a #1, use that to bolster your front 7 on defense, and not see much dropoff on offense. Arizona's in a position that a few pieces could put them over the top (and in their case keep them on top).

They'll score points with or without Boldin, and the money saved will help keep some of their guys and improve other areas of the team.

Archived