The Truth, the Laws and the Methods to Freedom

The Scales

The Truth is knowable, but hard to say.

Anyone who perseveres over obstacle after obstacle in the practice of [i]ethics, meditative concentration[/i], and the pursuit of real [i]wisdom[/i] will - eventually - have direct knowledge of the truth, of this there is no doubt.

By having direct knowledge of the truth, one can come to the end of all suffering.

Some say Ignorance is bliss.

They don't know what I know . . . now hear it from my lips.

Direct knowledge of the truth is the Wisdom that cuts through all ignorance, when ignorance is destroyed there comes the end of all suffering.

Any questions?

Ok...

Why on earth should one observe, and make a conscious effort to practice [i]ethics[/i]?

1. For your benefit - the practice of [i]ethics[/i] accumulates a heap of virtuous karma that lets you rub the Genie Bottle to achieve your wishes. Ethics is a wish fulfilling jewel. But you gotta keep rubbing it to make it work. and If you mess up . . . you'll go to the back of the line, and wont' get to make your wishes until you've rubbed it enough.

[b]The person who can explain the vast and deep of why this is so, is royalty among man. This is a challenge! Who can do so?[/b]

2. Ultimately the practice of [i]ethics[/i] pacifies subtle and gross agitations in your mental continuum, allowing for deep, single - pointed concentration. It is by the repeated practice of deep single pointed concentration that one can meditate on wisdom, destroy delusion, and thus . . . free one self from all modes of suffering.

Any Questions?

[quote]Any Questions?[/quote]

Yes. My understanding of Hindu theology is pretty sparse, but I've spent a fair amount of effort exploring so-called "Western" theology. In the west, there are strains of hesychasm associated with all three of the major faiths. But they are variants and not considered mainstream. It seems to me, though I may be mistaken, that another variant of hesychasm is at the core of Hindu thought--and thus considered mainstream. Is this so or am I oversimplifying? And if so, then how does Hindu theology reconcile this kind of individual tendency to withdraw and self-contemplate with communal living? It seems to me that there is some dissonance there that some wise theologicans have surely tried to reconcile.

I'm not asking this to be a wise-ass; I'm sincerely interested. It's my view that the next few centuries will be dominated by Asia and as the underlying culture(s) of this region will become more and more prevalent throughout the world, I'm curious to get an idea of how Hinduism plays its part in this tidal shift.

[quote name='Homer_Rice' post='745110' date='Feb 7 2009, 02:30 PM']Yes. My understanding of Hindu theology is pretty sparse, but I've spent a fair amount of effort exploring so-called "Western" theology. In the west, there are strains of hesychasm associated with all three of the major faiths. But they are variants and not considered mainstream. It seems to me, though I may be mistaken, that another variant of hesychasm is at the core of Hindu thought--and thus considered mainstream. Is this so or am I oversimplifying? And if so, then how does Hindu theology reconcile this kind of individual tendency to withdraw and self-contemplate with communal living? It seems to me that there is some dissonance there that some wise theologicans have surely tried to reconcile.

I'm not asking this to be a wise-ass; I'm sincerely interested. It's my view that the next few centuries will be dominated by Asia and as the underlying culture(s) of this region will become more and more prevalent throughout the world, I'm curious to get an idea of how Hinduism plays its part in this tidal shift.[/quote]

Can't recall ever hearing the word hesychasm, don't know what that means. Could look up, but it might be better if you say in your words what hesychasm means, then maybe I can try to say better.

Clarification is needed.

There are many paths. There are many ways.

This particular way is open to all. It is relatively simple. It works.

It does not rely on religion, or GOD.

You need no faith in these practices in the beginning, only a conscious will to explore and practice them... for if you endeavor to practice your faith in the spiritual path will naturally grow, and it won't be blind, because you will see results, and these results will propel you forward.

It's techniques are the torches lit by Gautama Buddha, and codified by his Sangha after the Blessed One kicked the frame.

There are paths that rely on GOD, and religion, and other things . . . even beyond that.

If there is interest these other basic practices will be laid down as I understand them later.

For the Christians, have no fear of peturbation of the mind by the unholy devil. These practices are not Religion. The Buddha Did not teach religion. Buddhism isn't a religion. The teachings of the Buddhas are only for the benefit of others. The only thing the Buddha wanted to remain after he left is the [i]Teachings[/i]*

* The Teachings of Gautama Buddha are called the [i]Dharma[/i].
Dharma is a word from the ancient Sanskrit language that means things like... Law. Occupation as in the Work one performs, and state as in Mode, like "I'm depressed" or , ", it depends on context.

Now on to the practice of Ethics.

[quote name='The Scales' post='745120' date='Feb 7 2009, 04:47 PM']Can't recall ever hearing the word hesychasm, don't know what that means. Could look up, but it might be better if you say in your words what hesychasm means, then maybe I can try to say better.[/quote]
In the west, hermit-like withdrawal for the spiritual purposes, including contemplation. There are epistemological implications which I'll forego. You touched on this when you wrote:

[quote]It is by the repeated practice of deep single pointed concentration that one can meditate on wisdom, destroy delusion, and thus[/quote]

My understanding of the Vedic tradition, and Buddha is an offshoot of this I believe, is that meditation of the kind you mention is a key component of the belief system.

What I am curious about is the relation between this inward-focus--essentially an act of self--and acting in/among the community as a whole. I'm wondering to what extent these clash with each other and how thinkers/practitioners resolve the two tendencies. Just one example, which may or may not pertain: does this contribute (or militate against) the Indian caste system, which seems to persist despite some fairly broad agreement that it is detrimental to Indian society.

[quote name='Homer_Rice' post='745134' date='Feb 7 2009, 06:12 PM']In the west, hermit-like withdrawal for the spiritual purposes, including contemplation. There are epistemological implications which I'll forego. You touched on this when you wrote:

My understanding of the Vedic tradition, and Buddha is an offshoot of this I believe, is that meditation of the kind you mention is a key component of the belief system.

[b][i]Yes, the Buddha arose during Brahmanism. He must have been learned in the Vedas. Meditation, however, is not a key component of that system i.e Brahmanism. With all its' God and Dieties, and Rituals, and what have you. One can have unshakable faith in God as Rama, and never do any yogic sadhana [spiritual practices] like meditation.

In "Buddhism" which again I say is not a religion, although one could take it as such if one desired and felt inclinded to do so, meditation is a tool.

In the lower levels and scope of the System, the meditation tool is practiced in order to sharpen its utility, and used utilized to familiarize the mind with the various lower scope buddhist objects of meditation like the preciousness of being born as a Human Being.

Yes traditionally, meditation as part of a yogic system is interwoven with an oriental belief system. But the Yogic system of say, a Patanjali, can be cut away from Brahmanism and intergrated with christianity, or judiasm. There is no contradiction in view.

This is the case with many flavors of Tibetian Buddhism, which if one enters the Vajrayana, the practitioner may encounter all manner of yogic system, depending on lineage or scope of current view of course.

[/i][/b]

What I am curious about is the relation between this inward-focus--essentially an act of self--and acting in/among the community as a whole. I'm wondering to what extent these clash with each other and how thinkers/practitioners resolve the two tendencies.

[b][i]There are those who renounce the world and wander all over it...never stilling their mind.

There are those who renounce the world, take up the great journey and return to the world a Hero, to work within it.

There are those who renounce the world, and take up the work, never to return again.

There are those who take up the journey while they are with family, they practice when they can.

There are those who practice a worldy spiritual path called Karma Yoga, guidelines for it are given in chapter 3 of the Bhagavad Gita. The Crux, or ideal of this path of Karma Yoga is as I understand it is to perform the work born of your nature, guided by compassion for the benefit of others, without any thought of reward, or attachment to outcome.

Or more simply Detached Selfless Service.

That goes over like a hairy turd in a punch bowl in a lot of places now a days.

One can work in the world, and still pursue training the mind in deep single pointed concentration if they desire to do so. Not everyone needs to or can live in an ashram all day.

If one were educated and dedicated one could practice the various yoga in every activity, even while sleeping.

In the time of the Buddha, India was already an anchient civilization. These disciplines are old, timeless, and they in all their varieties have become part of the culture, they are a golden thread running through the fabric of India.

Now, times do change and everyone has their opinions, even in India, so I'm sure there are more westernly minded people who are of the opinion that these long haired hippies meditating on the banks of the Ganges are surely wasting their time.

Traditionaly, if the boy was fortunate enough to be born in such a good family, or identified as being gifted he would go away to a teacher to learn these disciplines. Perhaps he would marry, and raise a family. Working in a worldly life but still practicing his yogas, perhaps if the wife desired, he would teach her the Yogas. If the boy made it to retirement age, perhaps he would become a no one, then become a Sanyasa. [Renounciate]

The Caste system is an unfortuante reality, there are those who are priveledged and born into a rich family, and there are those who have it quite rough, being born into unfortunate circumstances. The caste system perhaps arose from these observations of the way things are. There is and was a train of thought that spread the malicious propaganda that if someone was born into a lower caste that was their lot, the only spiritual work they could do was give money or food or other offerings to the priests [Brahmins] who would then in return perform various rituals to improve the spiritual standing of the untouchables, workers, or warriors. The Buddha said this was a bunch of b o l o g n e; he proposed that anyone regardless of caste or karma could if they so desired, improve their circumstances in life both spiritual and material, even peer into the nature of reality. The biography of the great Tibetian Yogi Saint Milarepa is an example of this idea taken from one extreme to another.

[/i]
[/b]

Just one example, which may or may not pertain: does this contribute (or militate against) the Indian caste system, which seems to persist despite some fairly broad agreement that it is detrimental to Indian society.[/quote]

[quote name='The Scales' post='745061' date='Feb 7 2009, 12:52 AM']The Truth is knowable, but hard to say.

[b]Anyone who perseveres over obstacle after obstacle in the practice of [i]ethics, meditative concentration[/i], and the pursuit of real [i]wisdom[/i] will - eventually - have direct knowledge of the truth, of this there is no doubt.[/b]

By having direct knowledge of the truth, one can come to the end of all suffering.

Direct knowledge of the truth is the Wisdom that cuts through all ignorance, when ignorance is destroyed there comes the end of all suffering.

Any questions?[/quote]
How do we know there is a truth to be found?

And what if the perserverence is structured upon fallacies? You can practice the guitar every minute of every day for the rest of your lives, but if its never strung you'll never be able to play Stairway.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='746155' date='Feb 12 2009, 11:45 AM']How do we know there is a truth to be found?

And what if the perserverence is structured upon fallacies?

[b] What if? What If? What If? Its so easy to ask, but to answer it, you'll have to put the joint down and get up off your ass. [/b][/quote]

Your reading the wrong things to be asking these questions.

Lets skip virtuous speech for a moment and go into Purity.

The mass of men are slaves, slaves to their senses, chasing after thier appetites, the will is weak, the discriminative intellect is dark, and good sense is no longer in control and they engage in behavior that they feel for the moment to bring them pleasure when in fact, this behavior only serves to pollute thier body, darken thier mind, and in the long run bring suffering.

Gobbling on the impure flesh of a once living animal, an animal that spent it's life wallowing in the mud, thats been pumped full of any number and manner of unnatural hormones to increase yield, being fed impurity, and caged in close proximity to the growing of crops that use high yield modern techniques, and thus absorbing the unnatural chemicals used in that process.

Too lazy, and tired to peel his fat ass off the sofa and spend his time or energy preparing a proper meal, our hero opens the freezer side of the refigereator to plop a pizza product, constructed from the parts of our poor poisioned animal, into a small unnatural food preparer he's purchased to make his suffering life just a little easier.

Done in 5 minutes he's got to let it cool a bit, or else he'll burn the hairy coating off his tounge, a coating that prevents him from enjoying the taste of food that isn't salty or sweet. Perhaps he'll light a cigarette, or grab a beer to chug while our hero waits for a temperature conducive to fast swallowing.

Properly cooled our hero grabs his product of outstanding shelf life and his trusty budweiser, and placing his vital organs in close proximity, and for an extended period of time, to a Device of modern man that creates a magnificent electro magnetic field destined to disrupt all the vital signals his body transmits to the brain telling cro magnuman that he is doing something wrong.

Our hero, eyes full of cheesy desire, making no offering, giving no thanks, remembering no God in his heart . . . begins his daily ritual of slow suicide. He does not chew but only enough so that he wont choke, and if anything happens to get lodged in his throat he's got his trusted beer to send the cheesy dough ball down to the overworked stomach below.

In record time he fills his belly, disregarding the apparently merciful warning from the manufacter of his product that this thing called a pizza is intended for four like minded souls, or four meals.

Filling his belly to the limit, his digestive system already overworked from a life time of too much easy, overprocessed, impure foods, and alchoholic beverages, his much abused body still does it's very best to serve its master. Unable to roll the food properly the mass of cheese and dough begins to ferment.

Already, at the very begining of the digestive process his mucous membranes have been absorbing the smallest bits of this food product, coloring the life blood which has, already- as is its nature, been carrying the Food preservatives, and chemicals devised to make this product appear to be tasty, and to last on the shelf for three years to all vital componets of the body. Once assimilated, where he can no longer taste his pile of cheesy dough grease, the artificial and impure constituents of the product, due only to their nature, begin to gradually destroy his body. Blood full of sugar, and polysorbate 80, laced with sodioum bicarbonate, and any other manner of long syllabled chemical engineered by the loving greed of man, our hero precious body becomes inflamed, and begins to decay.

His modern western disease, acid reflux,flares up. The polluted blood inflames his prostate and endocrine system causing a release of stress hormones. The refined sugars, Beer alcohol, and loving man made chemicals of greed set to work destroying the tender cartlidge that lines his joints eventually resulting in a form arthritis. His prostate bathed in the poisonous blood begins to react and swell. His body sends out cholesterol to plug the knicks and cuts the poisons have carved into the circulatory system.

Our brute knows that he should be exerciseing, because the doctor hes sees quite regularly advises him to do so. But he can't be bothered, he's got McDonalds to eat, Alcohol to drink, Drugs to take, and T.V to watch, perhaps, hell find some time to ignore his family as well. "Who can find time to exercise when I've all this to do, plus taking all these overpriced poisions medications that I hope will cure all these mysterious afflicitions an apparently Unloving God has smitten poor old me with."

He has no energy because the substances taken for so long has degraded the bodies ability to absorb the minute traces of nutrietents his so called Food Products contain, nutrients the body needs for optimal health. Lacking energy he relies on sugar and caffeine to somehow get him through his day. The refined sugar ages him beyond his years, graying his hair, rotting his teeth, bones, and joints. The caffeine usually in the source of coffee, made from a plant which has been sprayed with a man made super fertilizer to increase yeild so our caffine addicted hero only has to pay 3 dollars for tub of chemicaly laden coffee to help him make it through all this misery. Unawares that his excessive intake of this acidic coffee is throwing the bodies delicate P.H. balance out of whack, which his already overworked body has to spend energy, and utlitlze nutrients to try and balance, energy that this remarkable machine could use to heal, and restore.

His total lack of exercise, and lifelong gorging of impure, nutrient deficinent inflammatory foods coupled with his dependence on sugar and caffeene puts our heros poor abused body in the ground as chemical fertilizer long before it had to.

He had a heart attack at the age of 57, somehow doctors managed to revive him. Seeing no correlation between what he puts down his throat, and his other lifestyle choices, owing his poor unfortunate fate to genetics, and the imperfection of a God that he doesn't believe in, he resumes his life of momentary pleasure only to die after having three stints inserted, and being put on a waiting list for a new liver to replace his imperfect liver, created by an imperfect unloving God.

Pushing flowers, life wasted, he dies in darkness.

Much better than the silliness in John 3:16,

Is the wisdom of John 3:19-21

[i]"and this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light because their deeds were evil."

"For everyone that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved."

"But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made mainfest, that they are wrought in God."
[/i]

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='746303' date='Feb 13 2009, 08:27 AM']glad you cleared that one up[/quote]

I don't know if your genuine, being sarcastic, or a prick, don't know what to say,or what, or all of the above.

But I'll stop rhyming, and say it real simple.

You have to do the work yourself.

You can't use your intellect, or science to discover it, for IT by it's nature, is beyond the scope of the intellect to comprehend, and beyond the tools of science to detect.

Yes, you must at the outset, if you have no faith, begin with a little blind faith.

Once you make some progress your faith will no longer be blind faith, you will determine via your intellect that "there is something to this after all."

Ok?

All spiritual paths, and disciplines are in my mind for the improvement of not only ones condition, but in the long run the improvement of this world.

As the Buddha is said to have said."

"Don't take my word for it, go see for your self.

or not.

Thats the beauty of it.

[quote name='The Scales' post='746538' date='Feb 14 2009, 02:40 PM']I don't know if your genuine, being sarcastic, or a prick, don't know what to say,or what, or all of the above.

You can't use your intellect, or science to discover it, for IT by it's nature, is beyond the scope of the intellect to comprehend, and beyond the tools of science to detect.

Yes, you must at the outset, if you have no faith, begin with a little blind faith.

Once you make some progress your faith will no longer be blind faith, you will determine via your intellect that "there is something to this after all."

Ok?

All spiritual paths, and disciplines are in my mind for the improvement of not only ones condition, but in the long run the improvement of this world.[/quote]

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." - St. Thomas Aquinas

;)

[quote name='The Scales' post='746538' date='Feb 14 2009, 03:40 PM']I don't know if your genuine, being sarcastic, or a prick, don't know what to say,or what, or all of the above.

Ok?

All spiritual paths, and disciplines are in my mind for the improvement of not only ones condition, but in the long run the improvement of this world.

As the Buddha is said to have said."

"Don't take my word for it, go see for your self.

or not.

Thats the beauty of it.[/quote]
I think your return key is broken.

I was being sarcastic because I was hoping for a clearer response than I got...much like this one.

Good luck on your journey looking for IT.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='746546' date='Feb 14 2009, 03:20 PM']I think your return key is broken.

I was being sarcastic because I was hoping for a clearer response than I got...much like this one.

Good luck on your journey looking for IT.[/quote]

It's actually kinda hard not to find it.

Even bugs will fly into open flames, dive into zappers, and flutter against the screen door for hours on end just trying to touch that light again. You've just forgotten all about it.

John 3:19

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='The Scales' post='745061' date='Feb 7 2009, 12:52 AM']The Truth is knowable, but hard to say.

Anyone who perseveres over obstacle after obstacle in the practice of [i]ethics, meditative concentration[/i], and the pursuit of real [i]wisdom[/i] will - eventually - have direct knowledge of the truth, of this there is no doubt.

Any questions?[/quote]

Hmmm...I had no idea that contemplation could be so pretentious.

Try this out.

BZ
---------------------------------------------------------------

[b][size=2][color="#9c9c63"]Ecclesiastes
[/color][/size][/b][size=2][color="#9c9c63"]OR, THE PREACHER
[/color][/size][b][size=2][color="#9c9c63"]
[/b][/color][/size][b][size=2]All Is Vanity
[/size][/b][i][size=2]
[/i]1[/size][size=2] [/size][size=2]The words of the Preacher, the son of David, king in Jerusalem.
[/size][i][size=2]
[/i]2[/size][size=2] [/size][size=2]Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all [i]is[/i] vanity.
[/size][i][size=2]
[/i]3[/size][size=2] [/size][size=2]What profit hath a man of all his labor which he taketh under the sun?
[/size][i][size=2]
[/i]4[/size][size=2] [/size][size=2][i]One[/i] generation passeth away, and [i]another[/i] generation cometh: but the earth abideth for ever.
[/size][i][size=2]
[/i]5[/size][size=2] [/size][size=2]The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and hasteth to his place where he arose.
[/size][size=2]
[size=2][/size]6[/size][size=2] [/size][size=2]The wind goeth toward the south, and turneth about unto the north; it whirleth about continually, and the wind returneth again according to his circuits.
[/size][i][size=2]
[/i]7[/size][size=2] [/size][size=2]All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea [i]is[/i] not full: unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.
[/size][i][size=2]
[/i]8[/size][size=2] [/size][size=2]All things [i]are[/i] full of labor; man cannot utter [i]it:[/i] the eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing.
[/size][i][size=2]
[/i]9[/size][size=2] [/size][size=2]The thing that hath been, it [i]is that[/i] which shall be; and that which is done [i]is[/i] that which shall be done: and [i]there is[/i] no new [i]thing[/i] under the sun.
[/size][i][size=2]
[/i]10[/size][size=2] [/size][size=2]Is there [i]any[/i] thing whereof it may be said, See, this [i]is[/i] new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us.
[/size][i][size=2]
[/i]11[/size][size=2] [/size][size=2][i]There is[/i] no remembrance of former [i]things;[/i] neither shall there be [i]any[/i] remembrance of [i]things[/i] that are to come with [i]those[/i] that shall come after.
[/size]

[b][size=2]The Experience of the Preacher
[/size][/b][i][size=2]
[/i]12[/size][size=2] [/size][size=2]¶ I the Preacher was king over Israel in Jerusalem.
[/size][i][size=2]
[/i]13[/size][size=2] [/size][size=2]And I gave my heart to seek and search out by wisdom concerning all [i]things[/i] that are done under heaven: this sore travail hath God given to the sons of man to be exercised therewith.
[/size][i][size=2]
[/i]14[/size][size=2] [/size][size=2]I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and, behold, all [i]is [/i]vanity and vexation of spirit.
[/size][i][size=2]
[/i]15[/size][size=2] [/size][size=2][i]That which is[/i] crooked cannot be made straight: and that which is wanting cannot be numbered.
[/size][i][size=2]
[/i]16[/size][size=2] [/size][size=2]¶ I communed with mine own heart, saying, Lo, I am come to great estate, and have gotten more wisdom than all [i]they[/i] that have been before me in Jerusalem: yea, my heart had great experience of wisdom and knowledge.[/size][size=2]
[/size][i][size=2]
[/i]17[/size][size=2] [/size][size=2]And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit.
[/size][i][size=2]
[/i]18[/size][size=2] [/size][size=2]For in much wisdom [i]is[/i] much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.
[/size]

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='746543' date='Feb 14 2009, 02:53 PM']"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." - St. Thomas Aquinas

;)[/quote]

"Nothing is good or evil but its manner of usage may make it so." - St. Thomas Aquinas

This is not a debate.

If you would like to post some sweet quotes your fond of go start your own thread. If you have a good question about something that you have read in any post written by yours truly . . . please post away. This is for the benefit of all, and I will not have atheists or rapscallions sully it or themselves with drek. Good Writing is in the Rewrites. If i offended someones whatever it is I apologize. I'll write something today, and not like it tomorrow. Such is life. On we go...

[b][size=3]METHOD 1[/b][/size]
[For all my Atheist Buddies]

[b]THE BUDDHADHARMA[/b]

1. Buddha is not a God.
2. Conceptulizations of God are Rejected. There is no emphasis on or reliance upon GOD or Gods. If the practicing Buddhist wants to take refuge in an Object of faith it is traditionally [b]The Three Jewels[/b]. Those being the Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha, or more simply Teacher, Teachings, and the Spiritual Community. Refuge in [b]The Three Jewels [/b]arose after the Buddha passed away as the Teachings spread further and further, and different schools arose. The core teaching is [b]The Eight Fold Path[/b], and one can skip taking refuge altogether, and practice the path.
3. If your interested, or ideally for context you should read the Buddha's life story.

I start with the Teaching.

[i]THE OPENING SALVO. [/i]
First Blood.

[b]The Four Noble Truths[/b]

All conditioned existence is best by suffering. The root cause of this suffering is ignorance. [b]There is a state where there is a cessation of suffering.[/b] This state can be achieve by practicing the Noble Eight Fold Path. These are the four noble Truths as taught by Shakyamuni during his first teaching to the 5 ascetics.

Nirvana in the Sanskrit tounge, or Nibbana in the Pali Dialect, is the word the Buddha used to describe the cessation of all suffering.

[b]ENTERING THE HINAYANA[/b]

First Contemplative Topic

[i]Identifying the Scope of Suffering[/i]

1. Analyize the truth of your own personal experience with suffering.
2. Analyize the truth of your own personal experience with the suffering of your dear ones.
3. Analyize the truth of your own personal experience observing the sufferings of the world, including animals, and insects. [Include the sufferings of Ghosts, Hell Beings and yes the Buddhists will say even those in Heaven in your analysis if you believe in such things.]

Tips for Analytical Meditation

1. Hold your object or subject in your mind.
2. When the mind drifts away from the object of analysis bring it back with the will. Again and Again.
3. Utilize your amazing imagination and creativity to bring the subject to life in your mind.
4 You must give good effort.
5. It would be best to analyze virtuous topics, but, honestly anything could be used as an object for practice. But I do highly recommend a virtuous object. You are familiarizing your mind with a particular topic. You will find that topic running through your mind as you go about your day from your meditation practice. So beware.
6 If you manage to generate a Virtuous feeling, or emotion, stop analysis and focus on the feeling with all your single pointed concentration. NO THINKING!!! Like for instance compassion arises while contemplating the sufferings of this world. Stop analysis and focus single pointedly on the feeling of compassion. When the feeling wavers begin analytical meditation again.

Lets take an Orange. You imagine an Orange in your mind. You give it depth and being. You give it a nice color, and you create the texture. Perhaps you spin it around in your mind. You place it on a tree in Florida.

You could ask your intellect "What is the meaning of this Orange? Perhaps your Intellect spits out the word "Nourishment." You ask "Noursishment of what?" The intellect responds with "my body" You discriminative faculty determines that based on the apparent testimony of others, and your own personal experience that yes . . . the orange does indeed nourish the body.

You peel the Orange without squirting a drop. Your razor mind segments it, and you taste the Orange. "Sweet." "Why is it sweet?" Your inner nerd speaks up and presents a biological lesson on Taste, sugar. The pragmatist slaps the nerd and pipes in . . . "So I will eat it! . . . and want to grow it!!!" "Maybe I can make some money off of it." we start to drift off topic and place the mind back on the subject. The orange.

Any questions?

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='751630' date='Mar 2 2009, 03:25 PM'][img]http://rumblepack.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/dude-wait-what.jpg[/img]

No but seriously, you speak in such ambiguities. I read what you say, but afterward I could not summarize the point you're trying to make.[/quote]
Your weed isn't as good.

[quote name='Bengal Migration' post='752268' date='Mar 3 2009, 05:50 AM']Your weed isn't as good.[/quote]
mine is excellent...but i still didn't understand...actually i didn't read any of it...i'll have to re-visit tomorrow when my screen isn't floating.

Archived