Which poster jumps the shark first?

[quote name='oldschooler' post='750063' date='Feb 27 2009, 09:56 AM']So your ID means you rid yourself of happiness?

Seriously though. The Bengals don't need to set up a meeting
to guage the market. Brown wants to be paid like one of the elite
Guards in the NFL. Which is about $7-8 million per season.[/quote]

Man if 7 million is all it takes to solidify the most underratedly important position on the field for the foreseeable future, I'd jump all over it. Especially since we have to play Haloti Ngata, Casey Hampton and Shaun Rogers 6 times every year.

And for the whole Marvin Lewis era, I had been the most positive Bengals fan around. The management moves over the past year or two have been so frustrating though that I definitely have lost faith recently.

[quote name='happyrid' post='750078' date='Feb 27 2009, 08:13 AM']Man if 7 million is all it takes to solidify the most underratedly important position on the field for the foreseeable future, I'd jump all over it. Especially since we have to play Haloti Ngata, Casey Hampton and Shaun Rogers 6 times every year.[/quote]

No, it would take that much a year. So it isn't just $7 million.
And I would have rather thrown that money at Steinbach,
who could have played any position along the O-line.

[quote]And for the whole Marvin Lewis era, I had been the most positive Bengals fan around. The management moves over the past year or two have been so frustrating though that I definitely have lost faith recently.[/quote]

What moves where made in management recently?

[quote name='oldschooler' post='750063' date='Feb 27 2009, 08:56 AM']So your ID means you rid yourself of happiness?

Seriously though. The Bengals don't need to set up a meeting
to guage the market. Brown wants to be paid like one of the elite
Guards in the NFL. Which is about $7-8 million per season.

Thank you Miss Cleo.[/quote]

That bitch doesnt have shit on me!

[quote name='BENGALS666' post='749948' date='Feb 27 2009, 12:09 AM']Not exactly what "jump the shark" means.. but these folks exist on every team forum in the league and we probably collectively handle it better than the others via sheer experience.[/quote]

I believe it refers to the Happy Day episode when Fronzie jumps a great white on water ski. Basically the show was all down hill from there.

Did he wear the leather jacket?

[quote name='oldschooler' post='750093' date='Feb 27 2009, 09:28 AM']I don't know. At least she sees some positives in the future.
You? Not so much.

:P[/quote]

I think i would be happy if all we signed is a veteran center :) Not sure who is out there though. I have been staying away from all things nfl since the superbowl debacle.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='750083' date='Feb 27 2009, 10:18 AM']No, it would take that much a year. So it isn't just $7 million.
And I would have rather thrown that money at Steinbach,
who could have played any position along the O-line.

What moves where made in management recently?[/quote]

I know its 7 million a year. I think that is fine for a center, especially in a rugged division like ours where it is an even more important position.

As far as the management moves, I was talking about the moves made by management and you indirectly point one out. The decision to resign Willie and Levi to big money while letting Eric Steinbach leave in free agency. Other management moves that have pissed me off have been not trading Chad for two first rounders last year, undermining Marvin's authority by bringing back Henry against his wishes, and not doing anything to convert last year's unused cap space into this year.

[quote name='happyrid' post='750105' date='Feb 27 2009, 09:44 AM']As far as the management moves, I was talking about the moves made by management and you indirectly point one out. The decision to resign Willie and Levi to big money while letting Eric Steinbach leave in free agency. Other management moves that have pissed me off have been not trading Chad for two first rounders last year, undermining Marvin's authority by bringing back Henry against his wishes, and not doing anything to convert last year's unused cap space into this year.[/quote]

I wanted Henry back though...

Just hold on to your hope lads, its bound to change someday. It's got to!

[quote name='happyrid' post='750105' date='Feb 27 2009, 08:44 AM']I know its 7 million a year. I think that is fine for a center, especially in a rugged division like ours where it is an even more important position.[/quote]

I don't think it is fine. Centers are paid less than Guards.
That is their worth in the NFL. And that $7 million would
easily make him the highest paid Center in the NFL.
And he has only layed the position for 1 season.

[quote]As far as the management moves, I was talking about the moves made by management and you indirectly point one out. The decision to resign Willie and Levi to big money while letting Eric Steinbach leave in free agency. Other management moves that have pissed me off have been not trading Chad for two first rounders last year, undermining Marvin's authority by bringing back Henry against his wishes, and not doing anything to convert last year's unused cap space into this year.[/quote]

When Willie and Levi were re-signed, they were healthy.

They let Steinbach go because they had already invested a ton into their O-line,
and they weren't going to pay Steinbach that kind of money. Plus, they had
Whitworth waiting in the wings.

The only bad thing about bringin Henry back was Marvin making his opinion public.
And if Henry does turn things around, it will have been a great move.

I can understand them not trading Chad. They had already paid him over half
on his contract, and he had only played 2 seasons of it. Plus they basically would
have been paying him to play for someone else. Plus, draft picks are unproven.

And to convert the cap money, they would have had to put it into player's contracts.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='750131' date='Feb 27 2009, 09:57 AM']we'll get a comp pick next year in all likelihood, but nothing in this year's draft.[/quote]

Probably we'll get a comp pick but that would require us to be relatively inactive in FA. If we sign more qualified FAs than we lose, we won't get any comp picks. If we sign someone to a deal in the same tier as TJ, we won't get a comp pick for him.

[quote name='sparky151' post='750149' date='Feb 27 2009, 10:08 AM']Probably we'll get a comp pick but that would require us to be relatively inactive in FA. If we sign more qualified FAs than we lose, we won't get any comp picks. If we sign someone to a deal in the same tier as TJ, we won't get a comp pick for him.[/quote]

I think we'll be alright. Stacey got a big deal, and TJ will too. Whoever we sign will off-set one of them.

Us re-signing Benson (which is a good chance) won't effect the equation at all since he's our guy, and he'll be one of the bigger names we sign if we do.

Its very unlikely anyone we sign will get deals as big as TJ or Stacey.

[quote name='sparky151' post='750149' date='Feb 27 2009, 09:08 AM']Probably we'll get a comp pick but that would require us to be relatively inactive in FA. If we sign more qualified FAs than we lose, we won't get any comp picks. If we sign someone to a deal in the same tier as TJ, we won't get a comp pick for him.[/quote]

If TJ signs elsewhere, and with Stacy signing the contract he just did,
you can gurangoddamntee we will be getting a high comp pick next season,
regardless if we sign a deal to someone in the same tier or not.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='750155' date='Feb 27 2009, 10:16 AM']If TJ signs elsewhere, and with Stacy signing the contract he just did,
regardless if we sign a deal to someone in the same tier or not.[/quote]

The rules on comp picks don't require a team to get compensated for losing better players than it signs, just for losing more players. Let's say TJ and Stacy sign elsewhere. We bring back Benson, Crocker, Jeanty, Johnson, and add Grove, Kelley Washington, and Leonard Weaver. In that situation, the Bengals would get no comp picks. Suppose instead we sign Bart Scott or someone with a similar deal to TJs. They would cancel each other out and we could get a comp pick for Stacy's deal. The catch is that his deal is probably backloaded because of his injury and the value in 2009 isn't that high. In which case it might be a 5th or 6th round pick. We should have just tagged and traded TJ instead of hoping for comp picks.

Players who were cut for cap reasons don't count in the comp pick formula so we could add any of them without affecting our possible future picks.

[quote name='sparky151' post='750166' date='Feb 27 2009, 09:28 AM']The rules on comp picks don't require a team to get compensated for losing better players than it signs, just for losing more players. Let's say TJ and Stacy sign elsewhere. We bring back Benson, Crocker, Jeanty, Johnson, and add Grove, Kelley Washington, and Leonard Weaver. In that situation, the Bengals would get no comp picks. Suppose instead we sign Bart Scott or someone with a similar deal to TJs. They would cancel each other out and we could get a comp pick for Stacy's deal. The catch is that his deal is probably backloaded because of his injury and the value in 2009 isn't that high. In which case it might be a 5th or 6th round pick. We should have just tagged and traded TJ instead of hoping for comp picks.

Players who were cut for cap reasons don't count in the comp pick formula so we could add any of them without affecting our possible future picks.[/quote]

I know how it works. So really, you wasted your time.
Because I already knew, and what you said had nothing
to do with what I said.

Also, I disagree that they should have tagged TJ.

[quote name='The Scales' post='750111' date='Feb 27 2009, 09:48 AM']I wanted Henry back though...

Just hold on to your hope lads, its bound to change someday. It's got to![/quote]
Since Mike Brown is older than I am, my only hope is to outlive him, and see a new day dawning.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='750169' date='Feb 27 2009, 10:31 AM']I know how it works. So really, you wasted your time.
Because I already knew, and what you said had nothing
to do with what I said.[/quote]

If you know how it works, how are you able to guarantee the Bengals will get a high comp pick? Are you that confident the Bengals won't sign anyone from another team? I don't think it's likely but will admit the possibility exists that they sign someone to a big contract, similar to TJ's. If we sign someone to a contract in the same tier as TJ, we won't get a comp pick for him. We don't know the structure of Stacy's deal yet so how are you guaranteeing a high pick for him?

[quote name='oldschooler' post='750169' date='Feb 27 2009, 10:31 AM']Also, I disagree that they should have tagged TJ.[/quote]

Fair enough

[quote name='sparky151' post='750184' date='Feb 27 2009, 10:13 AM']If you know how it works, how are you able to guarantee the Bengals will get a high comp pick? Are you that confident the Bengals won't sign anyone from another team? I don't think it's likely but will admit the possibility exists that they sign someone to a big contract, similar to TJ's. If we sign someone to a contract in the same tier as TJ, we won't get a comp pick for him. We don't know the structure of Stacy's deal yet so how are you guaranteeing a high pick for him.[/quote]

I think you should re-read my post again.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='750155' date='Feb 27 2009, 09:16 AM']If TJ signs elsewhere, and with Stacy signing the contract he just did,
regardless if we sign a deal to someone in the same tier or not.[/quote]

Obviously I am counting the Bengals losing the 2 players, and the Bengals
signing one player. So that would result in a high comp pick, would it not?

And it was reported Stacy signed a multi-year deal worth about $7 million per year.
That is enough for me to know that that is a top tier signing.

Archived