570 Foot Home Run

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet:

[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Bryce-Harper-punches-his-ticket-to-Cooperstown-a?urn=mlb,167844"]Bryce Harper - Baseball Freak of Nature[/url]

Granted, SI putting him on the cover probably cursed the fuck out of him, but I saw him play live last year and thought some college player had sneaked themselves on to LVHS's team.

Fucker hit a ball that still hasn't landed. Over the fence, across 5 lanes of traffic and into a housing complex.

Yeah...

From interviews I've seen from the kid, it seems the hype has already made a douchebag out of him, a la Lebron or A-Rod. Really makes you marvel at the parenting job Griffey Sr. did with Junior.

Also, stylistically, I think professional baseball is much more drastically different from the HS level, even in the lower levels, than the NBA is from the amateur level. There is no analogy to the difference you'll get when they are swinging a length of lumber instead of aluminum, and at the same time pitchers are starting to really develop their off-speed and breaking pitches. A huge part of hitting then becomes a cerebral exercise of adjustments and pitch anticipation and recognition, something this kid and others can't prove they can master until the competition challenges them to. Look at Jay Bruce - he still has the same sweet swing he's always had, but even with years of minor league learning, he's struggling with adjustments and pitch selection and he's plummeting towards the Mendoza line.

Yeah, the rim jobs this kid is getting from the media and everyone else for that matter has gone to his head. And there is absolutely no way he is ever going to live up to those expectations.

He kind of reminds me of Pedro Cerrano from Major League. We'll see what he can do after he sees his first real change-up.

"Are you telling me that Jesus Christ couldn't hit a curve ball?"

• 1 month later...
[quote name='Go Tory Go!' date='05 June 2009 - 01:39 AM' timestamp='1244180382' post='780658']
[b]From interviews I've seen from the kid, it seems the hype has already made a douchebag out of him, a la Lebron or A-Rod. Really makes you marvel at the parenting job Griffey Sr. did with Junior.[/b]

Also, stylistically, I think professional baseball is much more drastically different from the HS level, even in the lower levels, than the NBA is from the amateur level. There is no analogy to the difference you'll get when they are swinging a length of lumber instead of aluminum, and at the same time pitchers are starting to really develop their off-speed and breaking pitches. A huge part of hitting then becomes a cerebral exercise of adjustments and pitch anticipation and recognition, something this kid and others can't prove they can master until the competition challenges them to. Look at Jay Bruce - he still has the same sweet swing he's always had, but even with years of minor league learning, he's struggling with adjustments and pitch selection and he's plummeting towards the Mendoza line.
[/quote]

It has nothing to do with the parenting. 10-20 years ago there wasnt the media and internet coverage to give these kids all of the hype before they deserve it.

Archived