Monday update: Watson cut

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' date='10 August 2009 - 12:25 PM' timestamp='1249917921' post='789511']
not surprised with the Watson cut, i called it about a few weeks ago. also as far as Shirely, im a big fan of his and really wanted to see him dominate as a DT [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif[/img] but the coaching staff like 1181 must really like McDonald also and are trying to carve spots for both guys to keep around.
[/quote]

Interesting. Online roster lists McDonald as a DE, but he came out of Memphis a DT.

[quote name='bengaled' date='10 August 2009 - 12:04 PM' timestamp='1249916659' post='789501']
now that's even more odd. if anything, i'd think they would project him to the more physical, [b]less fleet of foot[/b], RG spot. go figure. then again, this came from hobson, who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.
[/quote]

Shirley's short shuttle time was the same as Felix Jones, Rashard Mendenhall, and DeSean Jackson.

[quote name='akiliMVP' date='10 August 2009 - 09:48 AM' timestamp='1249912099' post='789449']
[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/monday-update-watson-cut/728c77eb-0726-4ff2-9c50-fd9d7eaff78c"]http://www.bengals.c...50-fd9d7eaff78c[/url]
And then there were 5 backs...

Sucks for Kenny, he did a good job when Rudi went down 2 years ago. Never thought he had a chance to make the team after they acquired Leonard.
[/quote]

he really didnt do that well...

his blocking will be missed... thats about it.

[quote name='GoBengals' date='10 August 2009 - 01:37 PM' timestamp='1249922241' post='789533']
he really didnt do that well...

his blocking will be missed... thats about it.
[/quote]
I know you don't like him but he did pretty good in 2007 - 178 carries, 763 yards, 4.3 ypc, 7 td, 52 receptions, 374 yards. That's better than Benson did last season in less carries. Not saying he's better than Benson, because he's not with his age and injuries, but don't discount what he did when Rudi went down.

Bye Kenny. I always thought you were a little slow for a 3rd down back, but 743 yards speaks for itself, I guess.

I am going to be pissed if we sign Shaun Smith.

Wasn't Matthias Askew or one of those other project DTs moved to guard right before they got the boot? I don't think this is good news for Shirley.

[quote name='akiliMVP' date='10 August 2009 - 12:50 PM' timestamp='1249923049' post='789538']
I know you don't like him but he did pretty good in 2007 - 178 carries, 763 yards, 4.3 ypc, 7 td, 52 receptions, 374 yards. That's better than Benson did last season in less carries. Not saying he's better than Benson, because he's not with his age and injuries, but don't discount what he did when Rudi went down.
[/quote]

he didnt accomplish anything.

his only two GOOD games, were against the LAST, and 2nd to LAST run D's in the NFL at that time.

just because he posted a better YPC than two people who didnt manage remotely decent years either doesnt mean he did good.

what makes you think i dont like him? because i dont think he is good? i like watson, he has a purpose if you need a veteran blocker, but that doesnt make him any good.

he hasnt started several years on multiple teams for a reason.

he averaged 6.2 yards per carry in 2004, guess he is better than LT!

he is a 3rd down back who can scramble for a decent gain when the D is in pass cover mode..

thats who he is.. i can pull up his stats game by game and run by run from '07 if you wish...

his best asset is that he is known as a blocking RB and surprises D's when he runs the ball...

aside from the two games against the worst D's on the planet, he had 1 game over 69 yards...

he is inconsistent, and mediocre.. his entire careers body of work proves it ...all 8 seasons..

he has never averaged less than 4.2 yards per carry, and is out of work... its for a reason...and it has NOTHING to do with whether i think he is a swell guy or not..

[quote name='GoBengals' date='10 August 2009 - 02:04 PM' timestamp='1249923845' post='789542']
he didnt accomplish anything.

his only two GOOD games, were against the LAST, and 2nd to LAST run D's in the NFL at that time.

just because he posted a better YPC than two people who didnt manage remotely decent years either doesnt mean he did good.

what makes you think i dont like him? because i dont think he is good? i like watson, he has a purpose if you need a veteran blocker, but that doesnt make him any good.

he hasnt started several years on multiple teams for a reason.

he averaged 6.2 yards per carry in 2004, guess he is better than LT!

he is a 3rd down back who can scramble for a decent gain when the D is in pass cover mode..

thats who he is.. i can pull up his stats game by game and run by run from '07 if you wish...

his best asset is that he is known as a blocking RB and surprises D's when he runs the ball...

aside from the two games against the worst D's on the planet, he had 1 game over 69 yards...

he is inconsistent, and mediocre.. his entire careers body of work proves it ...all 8 seasons..

he has never averaged less than 4.2 yards per carry, and is out of work... its for a reason...and it has NOTHING to do with whether i think he is a swell guy or not..
[/quote]
I never said he had good career and I never said he was good now. I said he filled in well when Rudi went down, which he did, regardless of who we played against.

Every time his name is mentioned you hate on him, that's why I believe you don't like him. You don't like a lot of people though so I could be confused.

[quote name='#22' date='10 August 2009 - 02:03 PM' timestamp='1249923788' post='789540']
Bye Kenny. I always thought you were a little slow for a 3rd down back, but 743 yards speaks for itself, I guess.

I am going to be pissed if we sign Shaun Smith.

[b]Wasn't Matthias Askew or one of those other project DTs moved to guard right before they got the boot? I don't think this is good news for Shirley.[/b]
[/quote]

no, I think you're thinking of when many suggested moving Andrews to DT.

Watson was to the RB position what JT was @ DT. A damn solid Pro. But not an all-pro by any stretch.

I'm bittersweet on his release. He was a classy guy, and a good player. You hate to lose those types.

But, like with JT, if we've got a more talented guy on the roster, that's damn good for our expectations of the team this season.

Thanks for everything, Kenny.

Archived