Re-considering A.J. Green

As our pick, not as a prospect. He is a legit WR prospect with all the tools, however, this may be the deepest WR class in the last 10 years if most of the juniors declare. We should be able to get a stud potential #1 receiver with our early 2nd rounder.

The more I watch Nick Fairley, the more I want this dude in stripes. Right now he's who I want if we have the 3rd pick, probably even the 2nd pick. He's not on Suh's level quite yet but Suh is a once in a decade DT prospect. I'd put Fairley equal with Gerald McCoy, last year's 4th pick, as a prospect. Maybe even a shade above. He's the kind of disruptive force in the middle that could seriously boost the pass rush.

As for the WR prospects, here's who I have as potential stud #1's
1. A.J. Green, Georgia, Jr
2. Julio Jones, Alabama, Jr
3. Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State, RS Soph
4. Michael Floyd, Notre Dame, Jr
5. Jonathan Baldwin, Pittsburgh, Jr
6. Ryan Broyles, Oklahoma, Jr
7. Leonard Hankerson, Miami FL, Sr

I'm thinking 4, 5 at most get picked in the 1st round. I wouldn't be shocked if all but 1 of the juniors declare either. A 1st and 2nd round of Fairley and any of these dudes would be awesome. Plus a stud guard in round 3.

I'd take any of them except Broyles. Nothing against him other than his size. Granted, I also haven't seen much of him.

I want a big MF'er.

No way all 7 go in the first round. While AJ Green is really growing on me, take Fairley and grab the best WR still standing at the top of round 2.

I'd even add Austin Pettis to your list.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1291162321' post='946561']
I'd take any of them except Broyles. Nothing against him other than his size.

I want a big MF'er.

No way all 7 go in the first round. While AJ Green is really growing on me, take Fairley and grab the best WR still standing at the top of round 2.

I'd even add Austin Pettis to your list.
[/quote]
Eh I think Pettis is more of a 3rd round guy. Plus he's exactly like Shipley. I think he's a #2 in the NFL.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1291162676' post='946565']
IMO he's exactly like Miles Austin.
[/quote]
They are both mixed and have Austin in their name is that why???

J/K

But really I think Miles is more explosive and dynamic after the catch.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1291164609' post='946569']
ESPN does not have another WR in their top 32 outside of Green. I think atleast Jones and likely blackmon should both be in there but that actually bodes well for us.

I don't see a way that we get out of round 2 without taking a lineman. Whats your take on that?
[/quote]
I think you can get offensive lineman in the 3rd and later rounds no problem.

You don't need all 1st and 2nd round picks across the line for it to be good. We need a new damn o-line coach if that's the case. Who are the best lines in the NFL?

The bottom 5 in sacks allowed: Giants, Colts, Chiefs, Patriots, Saints
Bottom 5 in QB hits: Titans, Jets, Patriots, Giants, Colts

Giants - LT David Diehl (5th) LG Kevin Booth (6th) C Shaun O'Hara (FA) RG Chris Snee (2nd) RT Kareem McKenzie (3rd)
Colts - LT Charlie Jones (6th) LG Kyle DeVan (FA) C Saturday (FA) RG Mike Pollak (2nd) RT Ryan Diem (4th)
Chiefs - LT Brandon Albert (1st) LG Brian Waters (FA) C Casey Weigmann (FA) RG Ryan Lilja (FA) RT Ryan O'Callaghan (5th)
Patriots - LT Matt Light (2nd) LG Logan Mankins (1st) C Dan Koppen (5th) RG Stephen Neal (FA) RT Sebastian Vollmer (2nd)
Saints - LT Jermon Bushrod (4th) LG Carl Nicks (5th) C Jonathan Goodwin (5th) RG Jahri Evans (4th) RT Jon Stinchcomb (2nd)
Titans - LT Michael Roos (2nd) LG Leroy Harris (4th) C Eugene Amano (7th) RG Jake Scott (5th) RT David Stewart (4th)
Jets - LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson (1st) LG Matt Slauson (6th) C Nick Mangold (1st) RG Brandon Moore (FA) RT Damien Woody (1st)

So out of 35 players on the top o-lines in the NFL, only 5 were 1st round picks and 6 2nd round picks. Over half (18) were drafted in the 5th round or later.

Nice breakdown.

I think between Livings, Cook, and Williams we could live with one of em starting next year. So replacing two spots in one offseason isn't impossible. I'd hope we try to bring in a starting caliber OL in free agency. That would definitely free up the top of the draft since there is a reasonable possibility we could land a starting caliber interior lineman in the 3rd.

Need Dre to come back strong though. I don't think we can count on much success next year if RT is still in flux by the start of the season.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' timestamp='1291167794' post='946583']
Nice breakdown.

I think between Livings, Cook, and Williams we could live with one of em starting next year. So replacing two spots in one offseason isn't impossible. I'd hope we try to bring in a starting caliber OL in free agency. That would definitely free up the top of the draft since there is a reasonable possibility we could land a starting caliber interior lineman in the 3rd.

Need Dre to come back strong though. I don't think we can count on much success next year if RT is still in flux by the start of the season.
[/quote]

Collins at LG would go a long way in fixing things.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1291168725' post='946587']
Oh and of the 21 interior lineman, which is what we need, only 2 were 1st rounders and 2 were 2nd rounders. Interior lineman can be had in the mid to late rounds. I'm not sure the Bengals can find them though....
[/quote]

LOL, I completely agree. I think it also comes down to time as well. Does this team have time to wait to develop those interior guys? I like the idea of Collins at LG. Cant get worse.

I also like the idea of going all in at LG and signing someone like Logan Mankins. I dont care if we overpay. If he solidifies the line...which you know atleast Cook and Whitworth will improve with him next to them, then he is worth it.

Add Torrey Smith from Maryland to the list of potential stud #1 receivers

Junior
6'1 205
4.3-4.4 speed
2010 stats - 65 rec 1045 yds 12 td
ACC all time leader in kickoff return yards

1. A.J. Green
2. Julio Jones
3. Justin Blackmon
4. Michael Floyd
5. Jonathan Baldwin
6. Ryan Broyles
7. Torrey Smith
8. Leonard Hankerson

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1291422655' post='947302']
Add Torrey Smith from Maryland to the list of potential stud #1 receivers

Junior
6'1 205
4.3-4.4 speed
2010 stats - 65 rec 1045 yds 12 td
ACC all time leader in kickoff return yards

1. A.J. Green
2. Julio Jones
3. Justin Blackmon
4. Michael Floyd
5. Jonathan Baldwin
6. Ryan Broyles
7. Torrey Smith
8. Leonard Hankerson
[/quote]

I'll admit I know nothing about the kid, but when's the last time a Maryland player with great measurables amounted to anything?

That OT last year dropped to like the 5th round, Heyward-Bey has been a bust, and even Shawn Merriman hasn't had a good season without steroids.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1291430454' post='947312']
I'll admit I know nothing about the kid, but when's the last time a Maryland player with great measurables amounted to anything?

That OT last year dropped to like the 5th round, Heyward-Bey has been a bust, and even Shawn Merriman hasn't had a good season without steroids.
[/quote]
Vernon Davis had a good year last year, but I agree with your sentiment. Maryland guys come out with great measurables and then do nothing in the NFL.

Very, very, wary of taking a guy out of Maryland.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1291432835' post='947318']
Vernon Davis had a good year last year, but I agree with your sentiment. Maryland guys come out with great measurables and then do nothing in the NFL.

Very, very, wary of taking a guy out of Maryland.
[/quote]

forgot about vernon davis.

• 3 weeks later...
Wanted to revisit this thread. I still am leaning heavily on AJ Green but as I mentioned in another thread I wonder if he is in the MegaTron class. The logic of taking another difference maker in round 1 and then a WR in round 2 in a deep draft makes really logical sense, however I am not sure, with the talent that we have at DT and DE and Fairley (wonder about his head) and Bowers (one year of great stats) blemishes I think that if we went this route it might have to be Patrick Patterson as a FS/CB and thats not without risk. Logically I am still in the 1) AJ Green- 2)OL group.

Archived