Five Buckeyes' juniors mulling NFL jump

[size="5"][b]Five Buckeyes' juniors mulling NFL jump[/b][/size]
December, 15, 2010
By Adam Rittenberg

Ohio State coach Jim Tressel said Tuesday that five of the team's juniors are sending paperwork to the NFL draft advisory board to receive an evaluation.

Who are the five?

Tressel ain't telling.

Asked if quarterback Terrelle Pryor is among those seeking an NFL evaluation, Tressel said, "I can't answer that."

Pressed on why not, The Vest replied, "I just don't feel like it. I don't know. I can't bring myself to, how's that?"

Alrighty then.

It's a pretty good bet Pryor is one of the five.

A source close to Buckeyes running back Dan "Boom" Herron tells me Herron is seriously considering a jump to the NFL. You have to believe he's one of the five seeking feedback.

Who else? Center Mike Brewster is a likely candidate. Wide receiver DeVier Posey is another. Perhaps another junior offensive lineman like tackle Mike Adams. What about defensive end Nathan Williams?

While I'd be surprised to see Pryor enter the draft a year early, I would expect at least one Buckeyes junior to make the jump.

Any guesses on Ohio State's forecasting five?

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/21116/five-buckeyes-juniors-mulling-nfl-jump

The only Buckeye that I think it would make any sense at all to come out early is Boom. And that's only because I don't see him getting much better than he is now.

Pryor needs another year to develop and mature.

Nate Williams didn't show nearly enough consistency.

Brewster and Adams will likely be headliners among o-linemen next year.

Mike Adams I think will get serious consideration as a top 10 pick next year if he returns and continues to improve the way he did this year.

Posey has the tools but is way too inconsistent. If he can become more consistent I think he could develop into a first round pick next year.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1292424560' post='951010']
The faster Pryor realizes he is a receiver the better.
[/quote]

Disagree. He made a ton of progress from last year to this. His mechanics are a lot better and he has a good enough arm. Work on the footwork and decision making between now and April 2012 and I think he will be an NFL QB.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1292424967' post='951014']
Disagree. He made a ton of progress from last year to this. His mechanics are a lot better and he has a good enough arm. Work on the footwork and decision making between now and April 2012 and [b]I think he will be an NFL QB.[/b]
[/quote]

I don't ever see that happening.

Remember, OSU fan here, but I can't recall the last time I have been less impressed with an OSU QB as a QB. He's a freakish athlete no doubt but he is not going to be a QB in the NFL (or at least a successful one).

Time will tell, but I'd be willing to bet you $1 that I'll be proven right 5 years from now...

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1292425259' post='951017']
I don't ever see that happening.

Remember, OSU fan here, but I can't recall the last time I have been less impressed with an OSU QB as a QB. He's a freakish athlete no doubt but he is not going to be a QB in the NFL (or at least a successful one).

Time will tell, but I'd be willing to bet you $1 that I'll be proven right 5 years from now...
[/quote]

He has one or two professional looking throws a game. The rest of the time he just seems lost and he rarely even runs at the right times. Drafting this guy as a QB would be wasting a pick on a guy who wont be ready for 4-5 years but likely never. He has 1 trait that makes him a quality player-athleticism/speed. Thats it. He is not smart, is not a great leader does not have great acccuracy. It would be hard not to name 7-8 guys wi would take over him at QB just off the top of my head. Now at WR I think he would be the 4th guy taken.

I think he comes out and he is a WR entirely by his 3rd year and plays the wildcat and some WR year 1.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1292434374' post='951043']
He has one or two professional looking throws a game. The rest of the time he just seems lost and he rarely even runs at the right times. Drafting this guy as a QB would be wasting a pick on a guy who wont be ready for 4-5 years but likely never. He has 1 trait that makes him a quality player-athleticism/speed. Thats it. He is not smart, is not a great leader does not have great acccuracy. It would be hard not to name 7-8 guys wi would take over him at QB just off the top of my head. Now at WR I think he would be the 4th guy taken.

I think he comes out and he is a WR entirely by his 3rd year and plays the wildcat and some WR year 1.
[/quote]

I don't really want Pryor either, but man there's a whole bunch of ASSumption in there...

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1292435410' post='951050']
I don't really want Pryor either, but man there's a whole bunch of ASSumption in there...
[/quote]

Ha, unfortunately I watch all of their games and the guy just does not have the "it" factor. <Maybe you are right though. Troy Smith certainly did not have it when he started either.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1292444262' post='951101']
Ha, unfortunately I watch all of their games and the guy just does not have the "it" factor. <Maybe you are right though. Troy Smith certainly did not have it when he started either.
[/quote]

He may not have "It" right now. But I know he's a perfectionist, and I know he wants to be the best he can be. I have faith that he will develop enough between now and next year that he will. Troy transformed between the 2005 season and the 2006 season (until that one awful day in January).

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1292444262' post='951101']
[/quote]

weird, I watch all of their games too (and I seriously doubt you do), and even I am not qualified to comment on Pryor's leadership skills and intelligence. But certainly you, the openly hating Ohio State poster, is qualified.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1292452042' post='951119']
weird, I watch all of their games too (and I seriously doubt you do), and even I am not qualified to comment on Pryor's leadership skills and intelligence. But certainly you, the openly hating Ohio State poster, is qualified.
[/quote]

You dont see me doubting other OSU players intelligence or leadership. I do watch all of their games, I do hate OSU football and watch those games to root against them. I am much more qualified to speak to his intelligence and leadership by simply following his tweets. Many college football players at his level are assholes, and he is one of the worst. Its a product of them being handed things their entire life. He is worst then most.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1292447435' post='951105']
He may not have "It" right now. But I know he's a perfectionist, and I know he wants to be the best he can be. I have faith that he will develop enough between now and next year that he will. Troy transformed between the 2005 season and the 2006 season (until that one awful day in January).
[/quote]

You may be right, but Troy ended up a late round pick and a backup.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1292463593' post='951179']
Agreed. But Troy was light years ahead of where Pryor is. Maybe you will be right about Pryor down the road. You are not right about him now.
[/quote]

A little, but not "light years"

--------------Comp-Att--Yds----C%----Y/A----Lng-TD-INT-Sck-Rate----------Rushes----Yds--Y/R----TD--Long
Troy 2006: 203 311 2542 65.3 8.17 58 30 6 18 161.91-------------------------72-------204-----2.8-----1---34
Pryor 2010: 212 323 2764 65.8 8.56 65 27 12 21 157.98 (Projected)---120-------639----5.3-------4---66

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1292467329' post='951187']
A little, but not "light years"

--------------Comp-Att--Yds----C%----Y/A----Lng-TD-INT-Sck-Rate----------Rushes----Yds--Y/R----TD--Long
Troy 2006: 203 311 2542 65.3 8.17 58 30 6 18 161.91-------------------------72-------204-----2.8-----1---34
Pryor 2010: 212 323 2764 65.8 8.56 65 27 12 21 157.98 (Projected)---120-------639----5.3-------4---66
[/quote]

those numbers even have me a little surprised, particularly when you're comparing Troy's senior year to Pryor's junior year.

Numbers aside on the Smith - Pryor comparison. Pryor looks nothing like a NFL QB.
He is below avg on a number of things IMO. To me the only thing he's got going for
him at his position is that he can get outside the pocket and create something. I have
also watched all of OSU's games. He has progressed, but it's no where he needs to
be.

[quote name='nkywestside' timestamp='1292511045' post='951257']
Numbers aside on the Smith - Pryor comparison. Pryor looks nothing like a NFL QB.
He is below avg on a number of things IMO. To me the only thing he's got going for
him at his position is that he can get outside the pocket and create something. I have
also watched all of OSU's games. He has progressed, but it's no where he needs to
be.
[/quote]

true for the most part. He'd be silly not to come back for his senior year.

[quote name='nkywestside' timestamp='1292511045' post='951257']
be.
[/quote]

And I have NEVER said he is ready NOW.

But I know he is a very hard worker and have seen enough progress over last year to think he will do what he needs to to get ready.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1292530195' post='951341']
Also calling him a perfectionist is a Tressell talking point. From all accounts he would have failed out of school by now had he not been a football player. Guy just aint smart and it comes out whenever he is interviewed or tweets or anything.
[/quote]
I don't think you can judge anybody by how they tweet. A lot of intelligent people use slang. I've never looked at his tweets though. I've heard from a few he isn't the brightest lightbulb. I just hope the Bengals don't take a flyer on Pryor in the draft next year for any round. I don't watch their games, but I know a lot of diehards who just think he is terrible.

Wouldn't mind Boom or Saine though. DeVier Posey looks like he is going to be a good one too if he puts it together. Sanzenbacher is on my wish list too.

Archived