Workout Routine

TheBeaverHunter

I started working out again and thought I would try this program. It is "Increase your bench 30 pounds in 6 weeks" by Beverly International. Beverly is pretty much top line supplements, they are a little pricey but worth it. I know with it being the beginning of the year some people (like me) have decided to get back into shape and I thought this might be useful. It is different from anything I have done and I like it because I have always been a two muscle group a workout type of guy, but with this you do your whole upper body every workout (besides leg day). The pump is good and I just started my 4th week doing this and my bench has gone up 25 lbs so far. There is also a link on the site that you can sign up for a free No Nonsense magazine. They come quarterly. They are good for workout and diet ideas.

[url=" http://www.bodybuildingworld.com/vol15_3/bench_press_advanced.html"]30lbs in six weeks routine[/url]

If you decide to use it let me know what kind of results you get.

I've been working out pretty regularly for the last 6 months or so. Kind of hit a plateau on the bench (260) then I sprained then partially tore my shoulder which basically makes any "push" exercise horribly painful.

While injured I fell in love with squats and deadlifts. I had been killing them for a couple months before I could bench again. Damned if I wasn't stronger on the bench after only a couple weeks doing it. I hit 275 (weighing 175 pounds) pretty easily last week.

The moral of the story is squats and deadlifts are the shit.

Also if you start working out the small muscles of your shoulder and your rotator cuff your max bench will jump up significantly.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1295970306' post='965406']
I've been working out pretty regularly for the last 6 months or so. Kind of hit a plateau on the bench (260) then I sprained then partially tore my shoulder which basically makes any "push" exercise horribly painful.

While injured I fell in love with squats and deadlifts. I had been killing them for a couple months before I could bench again. Damned if I wasn't stronger on the bench after only a couple weeks doing it. I hit 275 (weighing 175 pounds) pretty easily last week.

[b]The moral of the story is squats and deadlifts are the shit.[/b]

Also if you start working out the small muscles of your shoulder and your rotator cuff your max bench will jump up significantly.
[/quote]

Cosign. Squats are the man.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1295972003' post='965427']
Cosign. Squats are the man.
[/quote]
I usually throw in a couple sets of hack squats as a warm up, but yesterday I did 6 sets of them, plus 5 sets of regular. My quads haven't hurt this bad in a long time.

Also switched my routine up and have been doing a lot more power lifting type exercises. Clean and press, snatches, jump shrugs, high pulls, etc.

I'm happy to be able to do squats again. My back has been effed up for a few seasons. Now that I can do squats again, I think I may strengthen up. Got up to 225 (5 reps) safely. I think I may sit there for a while until I can get myself calibrated again.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1295972374' post='965432']
I'm happy to be able to do squats again. My back has been effed up for a few seasons. Now that I can do squats again, I think I may strengthen up. Got up to 225 (5 reps) safely. I think I may sit there for a while until I can get myself calibrated again.
[/quote]
I can do about 415 but that's not going all the way down. Lately I've been doing lesser weight and going down until my ass is parallel to the ground then exploding up with it. Can do about 365 this way and I feel it the next day more.

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' timestamp='1295968334' post='965390']
I started working out again and thought I would try this program. It is "Increase your bench 30 pounds in 6 weeks" by Beverly International. Beverly is pretty much top line supplements, they are a little pricey but worth it. I know with it being the beginning of the year some people (like me) have decided to get back into shape and I thought this might be useful. It is different from anything I have done and I like it because I have always been a two muscle group a workout type of guy, but with this you do your whole upper body every workout (besides leg day). The pump is good and I just started my 4th week doing this and my bench has gone up 25 lbs so far. There is also a link on the site that you can sign up for a free No Nonsense magazine. They come quarterly. They are good for workout and diet ideas.

[url=" http://www.bodybuildingworld.com/vol15_3/bench_press_advanced.html"]30lbs in six weeks routine[/url]

If you decide to use it let me know what kind of results you get.
[/quote]
I think i will give this workout a try, i have been in a funk for a year or so with my routine and need a change last year at this time i was benching 320 at 180lbs and this year i maxed out at 290 at 190lbs . Time to change it up.

[quote name='cp2024' timestamp='1295973371' post='965441']
I think i will give this workout a try, i have been in a funk for a year or so with my routine and need a change last year at this time i was benching 320 at 180lbs and this year i maxed out at 290 at 190lbs . Time to change it up.
[/quote]

Do it, I think you'll like it. You sound like me, once you start hitting the muscle that hard the gains should come quick. My friend who told me to try this routine gained 55 his first time and is doing it again after working out normal for 4 weeks. I took July until January 3rd off. I started on the 3rd maxing 315, I am now at 340 and that wasn't balls out....I think I could have done 345. My goal is 405 by August, I doubt I'll get it...but it's something to shoot for.

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' timestamp='1295973401' post='965444']
Squats and Dead lifts release the most Testosterone and GH in your body, bench is third. Any big compound movement of the larger muscle groups is a must for growth and strength gains. For leg days I have been doing 7 sets of 7 on 5 exercises and it crushes my legs. I love the feeling of getting stronger.
[/quote]
Hell yes it's a great feeling

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' timestamp='1295973401' post='965444']
Squats and Dead lifts release the most Testosterone and GH in your body, bench is third. Any big compound movement of the larger muscle groups is a must for growth and strength gains. For leg days I have been doing 7 sets of 7 on 5 exercises and it crushes my legs. I love the feeling of getting stronger.
[/quote]
What do you do for your legs?

I have a pretty good upperbody at 155, but my lower body has diminished greatly since I stopped playing soccer. I've been doing 10X225 5 sets on leg press and doing 50 calf presses after I finish my set of ten and I did some sets of kneeling with some 35 barbells in each hand(forget what that's called atm). That's pretty much the extent of my workout for legs and it's not too great. I know I need to get back into squatting. What else could I do? It's so embarrassing having these skinny legs and this nice upperbody. What I fear though, is that my calves aren't able to get bigger?

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1295976761' post='965475']
What do you do for your legs?

I have a pretty good upperbody at 155, but my lower body has diminished greatly since I stopped playing soccer. I've been doing 10X225 5 sets on leg press and doing 50 calf presses after I finish my set of ten and I did some sets of kneeling with some 35 barbells in each hand(forget what that's called atm). That's pretty much the extent of my workout for legs and it's not too great. I know I need to get back into squatting. What else could I do? It's so embarrassing having these skinny legs and this nice upperbody. What I fear though, is that my calves aren't able to get bigger?
[/quote]

Symmetrically your neck, calves and upper arms (Biceps) should all be the same size. Your calves should grow with the rest of your body.

The important thing is to do a weight that you struggle with and INCREASE when you can do it without struggle. I see these guys who come in every day and do the exact same exercises with the exact same weight and breeze right through them. In order to grow you have to tear the muscle down significantly.

I do the following

Squats - warmup set and then 7x7
Leg Press - 7x7
Extensions - 7x7
leg curls (Hamstrings) 7x7
dumbell Lunges 7x7

Calves - 5x25

I break legs down into 2 different days

Day 1 is quads and biceps. I do squats, hack squats, lunges and front squats. I usually only do 1 exercise (4 or 5 sets) for calves, either calf raises with a barbell or dumbbell or calf presses on the sled.

Day 2 is chest, tris and shoulders

Day 3 is hamstrings and back. For hammies I do deadlifts and good mornings.

This "your bench will go up" is crap. It's to get people who don't work out regularly to buy their stuff. I love Beverly. If I could have everything by Beverly, I would. I just can't afford it all the time (by the way, their BCAAs + Glutamine is GREAT). Anyways... I'm digressing. These people/magazines/companies put these add out to attract the guy who hasn't lifted before or hasn't lifted in a while. Of course your bench is going to go up 30 pounds in 6 weeks if you've been out of the gym for a while.

If I quit lifting now and didn't lift for a couple months, my bench will probably go down to about 250 or so. Give my ass six weeks, supplement free, I guarantee you I'm back above 300 again. Guarantee it. I've always thought that shit was garbage advertising.

Kind of a thread hijack here, but I've been doing P90X for a while now and I'm looking for something to supplement or replace it -it's just getting stale. I'm not necessarily looking for another video system, just an honest workout routine i can fit into a little less time. I'm not interested in getting big as much as cutting my body fat way down and cutting up. I'm up to almost 170 and i want to be a lean 155-160. I'm on a super clean diet that i manage with the Fat Secret Calorie Counter app - AWESOME and FREE btw - I'm just missing a workout i can really get into.

Anybody have something that's worked well for them?

I don't like it dude... it seems like when you could be gaining muscle in your back, you're just focusing on your bench. Or is this just a workout that you put into your regular routine to improve your bench?

I agree, it's cool to put a bunch of weight in front of people, but it's not worth it. I've been up to 330x2 on the bench and only weighed 190 pounds at 5'10". My joints were KILLING me - but it was cool as hell to outbench dudes that outweighed me by 30 pounds. I backed off the heavy and went with a heavy circuit.

Flat BB Bench x15
Incline BB x10

don't stop in between the two, superset them - a real superset. No breaks... jump right into it.

Take you about 45 seconds and do it again. Do that 4 times around...

3 times:

Incline DB x 15
Incline DB Fly x10

then

3 times:

Pec-Dec x15
Cables (bring them down to hit lower pecs) x10

***I will often make that second set of whatever heavy and hit between 5-6 reps. I can't get the heavy reps totally out of the system yet.

You'll be done in 45-50 minutes. Not only do you build muscle during the workout but it's somewhat a cardio too. I feel like a machine... only been on it for 4 weeks. Joints are pain free (except one shoulder and knee, they'll always hurt from previous injury). Maybe it's from this crap I'm taking, maybe it's from my diet, maybe it's from this... but I've gained a couple pounds in the past 4 weeks.

It is the best decision I've made regarding lifting.

[quote name='Orange 'n Black' timestamp='1295986619' post='965555']
Kind of a thread hijack here, but I've been doing P90X for a while now and I'm looking for something to supplement or replace it -it's just getting stale. I'm not necessarily looking for another video system, just an honest workout routine i can fit into a little less time. I'm not interested in getting big as much as cutting my body fat way down and cutting up. I'm up to almost 170 and i want to be a lean 155-160. I'm on a super clean diet that i manage with the Fat Secret Calorie Counter app - AWESOME and FREE btw - I'm just missing a workout i can really get into.

Anybody have something that's worked well for them?
[/quote]
Try the workout above and come back to be in a month and tell me how you feel. You might lose a little on pure power, but you'll look bigger and you'll feel like a brick shit house.

Well, none of this stuff matters if you don't eat right. By the way, TBH, how much do you weigh and how tall are you? 400+ is a pretty impressive bench. I don't think I could ever get that high... just not in my genes.

I got realy sick once and couldn't lift for a while... then that turned into me getting lazy and I just couldn't make myself go to the gym. In a few months I went all the way down to 170. The way I'm built, I am just not sure if my body can put up much more than 330 pounds.

I have a 10 week supplement plan right now... currently in week 2. This is my lost hoo-rah for getting myself up to 200 pounds. We'll see what happens.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1295985794' post='965543']
This "your bench will go up" is crap. It's to get people who don't work out regularly to buy their stuff. I love Beverly. If I could have everything by Beverly, I would. I just can't afford it all the time (by the way, their BCAAs + Glutamine is GREAT). Anyways... I'm digressing. These people/magazines/companies put these add out to attract the guy who hasn't lifted before or hasn't lifted in a while. Of course your bench is going to go up 30 pounds in 6 weeks if you've been out of the gym for a while.

If I quit lifting now and didn't lift for a couple months, my bench will probably go down to about 250 or so. Give my ass six weeks, supplement free, I guarantee you I'm back above 300 again. Guarantee it. I've always thought that shit was garbage advertising.
[/quote]

I disagree. You are hitting your chest hard 3 times a week. You are also hitting every other muscle group (besides legs) 3 times a week. I have seen this workout work....and it's nice to break from the norm for 6 weeks. Everyone is different and you will only get out of it what you put in. I feel great and get a great pump from it. I can tell the next day too when my muscles are tore down. I do agree about their BCAAs + Glutamine, I take that at night before I go to sleep and I am not near as sore the next day. As for my joints they feel great, knock on wood, I have always lifted heavy weights, everyone is different. I do controlled reps and don't put added stress on them by trying to pop it like some guys do. I have also noticed an increase in my core strength and stabilizer muscles doing this. I just got home from the gym and today was leg day, they are fried. I have noticed a huge increase in my squats as well. I was able to get 445 today without a spot, this was on the smith machine so it was probably a true weight of 400-405. I have been eating clean during the week..but not so much on the weekends. So far since Jan 3rd I have lost 9 lbs without doing any cardio. I am keeping my carbs super low during the week. Diet is far more important in my mind than working out as far as leaning down goes.

I am 5'9" and 195 at about 16-19% body fat. Goal is 175-180 at 5-7%, I will need to lose about 30 lbs of fat and gain about 10 lbs of muscle. That is going to take some time.

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' timestamp='1295994779' post='965616']
I disagree. You are hitting your chest hard 3 times a week. You are also hitting every other muscle group (besides legs) 3 times a week. I have seen this workout work....and it's nice to break from the norm for 6 weeks. Everyone is different and you will only get out of it what you put in. I feel great and get a great pump from it. I can tell the next day too when my muscles are tore down. I do agree about their BCAAs + Glutamine, I take that at night before I go to sleep and I am not near as sore the next day. As for my joints they feel great, knock on wood, I have always lifted heavy weights, everyone is different. I do controlled reps and don't put added stress on them by trying to pop it like some guys do. I have also noticed an increase in my core strength and stabilizer muscles doing this. I just got home from the gym and today was leg day, they are fried. I have noticed a huge increase in my squats as well. I was able to get 445 today without a spot, this was on the smith machine so it was probably a true weight of 400-405. I have been eating clean during the week..but not so much on the weekends. So far since Jan 3rd I have lost 9 lbs without doing any cardio. I am keeping my carbs super low during the week. Diet is far more important in my mind than working out as far as leaning down goes.

I am 5'9" and 195 at about 16-19% body fat. Goal is 175-180 at 5-7%, I will need to lose about 30 lbs of fat and gain about 10 lbs of muscle. That is going to take some time.
[/quote]
I'm just not a big bench guy anymore. About 5-6 weeks ago I had to take 3 weeks off of chest because I was just trying to put the weight up a couple reps at a time. Basically stacked the weight on and did reps of 1-2-3. That stuff will get you strong, but your risk for injury is greater too. I'm 26 and have had horrible injuries from lifting and playing ball. I feel like Chris Perry. It's insane. When I cut back on the heavy crap (I still bench every week, just not much over 225), I started feel good again. I can tell I'm going to have a heavy day soon because it's in my blood, but I'm going totry and stick with this stuff for a while. Seems to be working well.

With bench, and I know this sounds pretty obvious, but the more you do it the better you'll be at it. Last summer and into the fall a little bit a friend and I did the Nebraska football program workout. It called for bench twice a week. I put up 315 fairly easily at 180 pounds. Instead of worrying about the weight, I've been concentrating on the way I look and how my body responds to the exercises I do regardless of weight. I guess that's the difference between power lifting and body building. I lifted like a power lifter for years but wanted to have the body building physique... I may have screwed up on that one... just couldn't get the "heavy weight" out of my head.

I am supposed to do legs tomorrow but I am pushing it back to Thursday because we have a game tomorrow. I won't be able to jump. Can't get near 445. Most I did was about 330ish or so. I don't think the legs are weak, I just such at squat. I will agree though... best exercise for you, worse exercise to take part in.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' timestamp='1296005546' post='965665']
It's rough pushing down the foot rest on my recliner. I do it on a nightly basis, and my legs have never hurt so bad.
[/quote]
Sounds rough. You may want to look into something mechanical... don't want to overwork yourself.

I did 5 sets on the leg press today 12X225 followed by 25 calf raises and I felt like my legs were going to fall off. I think it's going to be a slow process getting into all those leg exercises mentioned, but here in the next few weeks I should be doing them all.

On my bench press I think I've hit damn near a wall. I peaked a few weeks ago with 245 and was doing 225 twice and now I'm struggling with 225. I haven't hit the chest as hard because of a lot of school and work and I guess I have been focusing on repetitions lately as opposed to maxing out. I may have to try the new chest workout put on here. I'd like to be around 275 here in the next few months, but going backwards isn't helping.

Doing triceps, decline, and incline should goes a way towards improving the bench..correct?

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1296007903' post='965683']
I did 5 sets on the leg press today 12X225 followed by 25 calf raises and I felt like my legs were going to fall off. I think it's going to be a slow process getting into all those leg exercises mentioned, but here in the next few weeks I should be doing them all.

On my bench press I think I've hit damn near a wall. I peaked a few weeks ago with 245 and was doing 225 twice and now I'm struggling with 225. I haven't hit the chest as hard because of a lot of school and work and I guess I have been focusing on repetitions lately as opposed to maxing out. I may have to try the new chest workout put on here. I'd like to be around 275 here in the next few months, but going backwards isn't helping.

Doing triceps, decline, and incline should goes a way towards improving the bench..correct?
[/quote]
Decline not really. You can probably just eliminate decline and do some flies or dumbbell bench stuff. Incline will help. Strengthening your core helps. Shoulders, triceps, rotator cuffs, squats, deadlifts, pushups, etc. There is a lot you can do to get stronger on the bench.

Just make sure you work on your back just as often so you don't become unbalanced and get hurt.

Archived