Draft Prospect rankings/discussion

[quote][b]Mike Mayock's Preliminary Top Fives[/b]

Jake Locker of the Washington Huskies is Mayock's No. 2 quarterback.

Each year, NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock releases a top-five ranking of draft-eligible college players by position. His preliminary rankings were released over the weekend. Let's have a look:

Quarterbacks
1. Blaine Gabbert, Missouri
2. Jake Locker, Washington
3. Cam Newton, Auburn
4. Ryan Mallett, Arkansas
5. (tie) Colin Kaepernick, Nevada; Ricky Stanzi, Iowa; Pat Devlin, Delaware; Andy Dalton, TCU

Comments: Mayock notably left out Florida State's Christian Ponder, who underwent at least three throwing-arm surgeries in his final two college seasons. Ponder was once considered a future first-round pick. Mayock is giving Locker the benefit of the doubt in the No. 2 spot after he regressed as a passer in his senior season. No one questions Locker's physical tools, but his accuracy is suspect. Kaepernick outplayed him on the Senior Bowl practice field Monday. Devlin was mostly unimpressive at last week's East-West Shrine. He was particularly bad in the game.

Running Backs
1. Mark Ingram, Alabama
2. Daniel Thomas, Kansas State
3. Mikel Leshoure, Illinois
4. Ryan Williams, Virginia Tech
5. (tie) Jacquizz Rodgers, Oregon State; Kendall Hunter, Oklahoma State

Comments: Mayock openly admits that he needs to do more film work before solidifying his top-five rankings. My guess is that the underclassman power back Leshoure will move up this list by early April. Ingram may be locked into the No. 1 spot among tailbacks, but the No. 2 spot is up for grabs. This isn't an especially strong running back class.

Wide Receivers
1. A.J. Green, Georgia
2. Julio Jones, Alabama
3. Jonathan Baldwin, Pittsburgh
4. Titus Young, Boise State
5. (tie) Jerrel Jernigan, Troy; Greg Little, North Carolina; Randall Cobb, Kentucky

Comments: Mayock raved about Young at Monday's Senior Bowl practice, comparing him to DeSean Jackson. Wes Bunting over at the National Football Post has likened Young to a rich man's version of Johnny Knox. It's still early, but the top-three receivers appear to be set with underclassmen filling each spot. Green is the consensus No. 1, although it's worth noting that Jones is more physical and a better blocker. It's possible some power-running teams will prefer Jones to Green come draft weekend.

Tight Ends
1. Kyle Rudolph, Notre Dame
2. Lance Kendricks, Wisconsin
3. Luke Stocker, Tennessee
4. D.J. Williams, Arkansas
5. Charles Clay, Tulsa

Comments: Mayock is the color analyst alongside Thom Hammond for Notre Dame games on Saturdays. He should have a great read on Rudolph, who is coming off hamstring surgery. Mayock admitted on the Senior Bowl broadcast Monday that the field is "wide open" at tight end behind Rudolph. Kendricks and Williams are vertical threat tight ends, but undersized.

Offensive Tackles
1. Nate Solder, Colorado
2. Anthony Castonzo, Boston College
3. Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin
4. Tyron Smith, USC
5. (tie) Ben Ijalana, Villanova; Derek Sherrod, Mississippi State

Comments: The top three here, all seniors, seem to be tightly bunched together. They all boast ideal size and length in the arms, and Mayock predicted Monday that each would likely end up at left tackle in the pros. Mayock did allow that, if one of his top-three tackles has to move to the right side, it would be Carimi. Smith is an underclassman. Ijalana is out for the Senior Bowl due to "double hernia surgeries."

Interior Offensive Linemen
1. Mike Pouncey, Florida
2. Stefen Wisniewski, Penn State
3. Danny Watkins, Baylor
4. John Moffitt, Wisconsin
5. (tie) Rodney Hudson, Florida State; Will Rackley, Lehigh

Comments: Pouncey is locked in atop this list for now, although the likeliest challenger for the No. 1 spot among interior linemen may come not from the Nos. 2 or 3-ranked players but from Moffitt in the No. 4 position. Mayock raved about Moffitt's physicality on the Senior Bowl practice field Monday. Alongside the aforementioned Carimi, Moffitt helped form the best left side in college football last season. The Badgers dominated opponents on the ground.

Defensive Ends
1. Da'Quan Bowers, Clemson
2. Adrian Clayborn, Iowa
3. Aldon Smith, Missouri
4. Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue
5. (tie) Robert Quinn, North Carolina; J.J. Watt, Wisconsin

Comments: Defensive end is perhaps the deepest and most talented position in the 2011 draft class. Quinn, sitting in a tie for the No. 5 ranking, has been widely "mocked" as a top-ten pick. Mayock is ostensibly downgrading Quinn for sitting out all of the 2010 season for accepting gifts from an agent. The only Senior Bowl participant here is Kerrigan, and he drew outstanding reviews at Monday's practice.

Defensive Tackles
1. Nick Fairley, Auburn
2. Marcell Dareus, Alabama
3. Corey Liuget, Illinois
4. Jurrell Casey, USC
5. Stephen Paea, Oregon State

Comments: Another extremely talented group, although there are some question marks at the top. Fairley has a reputation for playing too high at times, and at others taking plays off. Dareus' production wasn't outstanding for the Crimson Tide, although as a five-technique end his main responsibility wasn't always to rack up statistics. Liuget and Casey are underclassmen. Paea is at the Senior Bowl.

Linebackers
1. Von Miller, Texas A&M
2. Akeem Ayers, UCLA
3. Justin Houston, Georgia
4. Bruce Carter, North Carolina
5. Martez Wilson, Illinois

Comments: Miller was the 2010 Butkus Award winner and is at the Senior Bowl. He's a likely top-15 pick. Ayers, Houston, and Wilson are all underclassmen. Recruited as a safety and highly disruptive at linebacker for the Tar Heels, Carter tore his ACL in November and underwent reconstructive surgery last month. He'd probably be challenging Ayers for the No. 2 spot if not for the injury.

Cornerbacks
1. Patrick Peterson, LSU
2. Prince Amukamara, Nebraska
3. Brandon Harris, Miami (FL)
4. Aaron Williams, Texas
5. Jimmy Smith, Colorado

Comments: Peterson and Amukamara are the clear-cut Nos. 1 and 2 corners. Amukamara is locked in as a top-15 prospect, and declined his Senior Bowl invitation. Smith also is not in Mobile by his own choosing. Harris has questions to answer after being torched by Notre Dame wide receiver Michael Floyd in the Sun Bowl. Floyd returned to school after receiving just a third-round grade from the NFL Draft Advisory Committee. Could the defensive back he beat so relentlessly be a legit first-round prospect? Williams is another underclassman who played in a Longhorns secondary that may produce as many as three draft picks in 2011.

Safeties
1. Rahim Moore, UCLA
2. Ahmad Black, Florida
3. Deunta Williams, North Carolina
4. Robert Sands, West Virginia
5. Will Hill, Florida

Comments: Last year, Mayock was the only draft analyst on the planet calling Earl Thomas the best safety in the draft. You can certainly argue that Thomas had a bigger impact for his team than Eric Berry in 2010. Thus, it was notable when Mayock said Monday that the underclassman Moore reminds him of Thomas. The only safety here participating in the Senior Bowl is Black, who measured just 5'9 3/8" and 183 pounds at Monday's weigh-in.

Posted by Evan Silva on January 25, 2011 10:05 AM | Permalink[/quote]

http://blogs.rotoworld.com/Fantasy_Football/2011/01/mike_mayocks_preliminary_top_f.php

[quote][size="5"][b]Mel Kiper's Big Board 2011[/b][/size]

1.)Nick Fairley * DT6-5310Analysis: Fairley simply dominated his final showcase game for scouts. A force all year while often not 100 percent, a perfect fit for a 4-3 interior. Last week: No. 2

2)Da'Quan Bowers * DE6-4277Analysis: The most gifted pure pass-rusher on the Board, Bowers has followed through on his talent. An ideal 4-3 DE, but Bowers has a chance as a 3-4 edge. Last week: No. 1

3.)A.J. Green * WR6-4207 Analysis: Allays any speed fears with improved route-running; and speed is fine. Green has worked hard to become a complete WR. Last week: No. 3

4.)Patrick Peterson * CB6-1211Analysis: An extraordinary athlete, Peterson doesn't just have safety size, he'd measure up to a lot of RBs. Great special teams returner as well. Last week: No. 4

5.)Marcell Dareus * DE6-3306Analysis: A solid penetrator; pass-rush skills trump run-stopping performance thus far, which is a reason I can see him becoming a solid 3-4 DE.Last week: No. 6

6.)Prince Amukamara CB6-1202Analysis: Top marks for instincts, ball awareness and really good hands. It's as if he's running the WR's route sometimes. Ready to start. Last week: No. 5

7.)Robert Quinn * DE6-4267 Analysis: Great natural pass-rusher, solid athlete, serious
motor. He'll be a little raw but should shine during the workout process. Last week: No. 7

8.)Blaine Gabbert * QB6-5232Analysis: Strong arm, good mobility, prototype in terms of physical skills. The top QB on the Board minus Luck, but he will be under the microscope; volatile. Last week: No. 8

9.)Von Miller LB6-3243Analysis: Miller proved to scouts that he's more than a sack artist this season. He showed coverage skills to go along with known pass-rush production. Last week: No. 9

10.)Ryan Kerrigan DE6-4259Analysis: Upside and fit a concern, production is not. Kerrigan led the nation with 26 tackles for loss and became impossible to block, even against double-teams. Last week: No. 10

11.)Julio Jones * WR6-4211Analysis: When healthy, Jones was dominant; when not, he was still good in 2010. Overcame drop issues, improved route-running showed off speed. Last week: No. 13

12.)Akeem Ayers * OLB6-4251Analysis: Exceptional athleticism makes him versatile, but his production has also been very good. Long, with ideal OLB build, skills for 3-4 at next level. Last week: No. 11

13.)Adrian Clayborn DE6-3282 Analysis: Good size, capable of playing 3-4 DE. Good motor; batters offensive linemen. Needs to refine rush skills; down year for sacks but faced more attention. Last week: No. 15

14.)Cam Newton * QB6-6250Analysis: Great size and athleticism, but also underrated accuracy. Extends plays; good patience. Lacks experience and refinement aside from throwing motion. Last week: No. 12

15.)J.J. Watt * DE6-6286Analysis: Watt should offer versatility, a fit in either a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme. Relentless worker, solid pass-rush skills. New on the Board. Last week: NR

16.)Drake Nevis DT6-1289Analysis: Lacks top-end size, but he's an explosive, up-the-field tackle with good pad level and leverage. Ideal three-technique, he plays with passion. Last week: No. 17

17.)Mark Ingram * RB5-10216Analysis: Patient runner, knows how to set up and wait for blocks; big-time competitor; good burst but not top-end speed. Won't shy from contact. Last week: No. 23

18.)Nate Solder OT6-9313Analysis: A physical specimen, has great length, ability to add bulk to chiseled frame. Will shine in workout phase and draft is short on elite offensive tackles. Last week: No. 18

19.)Gabe Carimi OT6-7327Analysis: A solid year of tape, battling a number of high draft picks. Better footwork, added consistency. Excellent frame; could go LT or RT. Last week: No. 21

20.)Ryan Mallett * QB6-7238Analysis: Huge arm, can make all the throws. Improved check-down skills and awareness. Footwork needs a lot of work. Last week: No. 17

21.)Anthony Castonzo OT6-7306 Analysis: Smart, reliable with solid footwork, but could add lower-body strength and overall bulk to improve leverage. Consistent worker; smart player. Last week: No. 22

22.)Mike Pouncey C/G6-4310 Analysis: Bloodlines are there, as is a comparable skill set to brother Maurkice. Versatile interior blocker; like brother, ready to help. Last week: No. 25

23.)Cameron Heyward DE6-5291Analysis: On the Big Board most of the season, bounced back with dominant Sugar Bowl performance. Versatile, but ideal size to work as 3-4 DE. Deep DL class. Last week: NR

24.)Jake Locker QB6-3228 Analysis: Off-the-charts skill set and intangibles; solid character. Now begins a process to rebuild his profile for scouts. Last week: No. 24

25.)Ben Ijalana OT6-2321
Analysis: Can play either left tackle, or move inside to guard. Versatile, great athlete, good feet, good frame, and totally dominant at FBS level. Last week: NR[/quote]

alas, something interesting to discuss...

this draft is going to be all over the place, the top 10 can be just about and order, there is no dead set #1 pick, no dead set top 5 really..

lots of teams with lots of needs and some without any huge top 5 pick type needs..

and the CBA is also a huge issue/obstacle..

Mayock's rankings are usually a little different than everyone else. But right now the only surprises to me are his DE rankings 2-5. And once the process continues I think Quinn will work his way up that list.

I am assuming he is grading Cannon as an OT because on the interior lineman list I would think he would crack the top 5.

Just saw a Todd McShay report that Von Miller is having a great wk and is opening some eyes with his ability to cover. I'm still not going to rule him out, simply because we have ZERO playmakers at LB. If he maintains his grade throughout the process, I think he could very well be in play once we get on the clock.

[quote]
Scott Wright's Top 32 Prospects for the 2011 NFL Draft
1. A.J. Green WR Georgia
May be the most talented wideout prospect since Calvin Johnson.

2. Patrick Peterson CB L.S.U.
True playmaker who's built like a linebacker yet runs like a corner.

3. Robert Quinn DE North Carolina
Outstanding athlete with the tools to be an elite pro pass rusher.

4. Marcell Dareus DT Alabama
Capable of wreaking havoc in a backfield from multiple positions.

5. Nick Fairley DT Auburn
Dominant interior pass rusher a la Kevin Williams or Gerald McCoy.

6. Prince Amukamara CB Nebraska
Possesses an ideal blend of size and speed as well as fluid hips.

7. Da'Quan Bowers DE Clemson
Finally began to fulfill immense potential and led country in sacks.

8. Julio Jones WR Alabama
Jumbo wideout who may be better in pros than he was in college.

9. Von Miller OLB Texas A&M
Uses speed and athleticism to terrorize opponents off the edge.

10. Blaine Gabbert QB Missouri
Still raw but has the tools to develop into a franchise signal caller.

11. Aldon Smith DE Missouri
Awfully raw but an extraordinary athlete with unlimited potential.

12. Jake Locker QB Washington
Raw prospect with an elite blend of physical tools and intangibles.

13. Adrian Clayborn DE Iowa
Plays both the run and pass effectively and has a non-stop motor.

14. Cam Newton QB Auburn
Huge project with off-the-field issues but undeniably a rare talent.

15. Akeem Ayers OLB UCLA
Well-rounded 'backer who could play in either 4-3 or 3-4 scheme.

16. Stephen Paea DT Oregon St.
Utilizes quickness and amazing strength to penetrate backfields.

17. Ryan Kerrigan DE Purdue
Makes up for ordinary physical tools with hard work and tenacity.

18. Nate Solder OT Colorado
Athletic former tight end is a top pass protector with nimble feet.

19. Anthony Castonzo OT Boston College
Steady blocker with solid physical tools and top-notch intangibles.

20. Cameron Jordan DE California
Possesses terrific size and offers positional / schematic versatility.

21. Mark Ingram RB Alabama
Not flashy but very productive and a mirror image of Emmitt Smith.

22. J.J. Watt DE Wisconsin
Productive, high-energy prospect who is also extremely versatile.

23. Brandon Harris CB Miami (FL)
Next top cover guy from "The U" with ideal blend of size / speed.

24. Derek Sherrod OT Mississippi St.
Smooth, well - rounded blocker with the ability to play left tackle.

25. Cameron Heyward DE Ohio St.

Son of "Ironhead" is a prototypical five-technique in an odd front.

26. Tyron Smith OT USC
Athletic specimen who excels as a pass protector and run blocker.

27. Kyle Rudolph TE Notre Dame
Weapon in the passing game but is also a very capable a blocker.

28. Aaron Williams CB Texas
Smooth athlete with nice measurables and top program pedigree.

29. Allen Bailey DE Miami (FL)
Physical marvel with a freakish blend of size, speed and strength.

30. Corey Liuget DT Illinois
Extremely quick, active, athletic, penetrating force on the interior.

31. Jon Baldwin WR Pittsburgh
Workout Warrior with a rare blend of size, speed and athleticism.

32. Ryan Mallett QB Arkansas
Rare size and arm but not polished and intangibles are a concern.
[/quote]

http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Rankings.php

Guess I'm not the only one that thinks that Fairley and Bowers could very easily get passed up by the time it's all said and done. I'm not usually a big fan of Draft Countdown, but his rankings sure do look an awful lot like mine at this point.

[quote name='spicoli-2' timestamp='1296066523' post='965837']
Guess I'm not the only one that thinks that Fairley and Bowers could very easily get passed up by the time it's all said and done. [b]I'm not usually a big fan of Draft Countdown,[/b] but his rankings sure do look an awful lot like mine at this point.
[/quote]

that's funny, because you used them earlier in the week to try and pat yourself on the back about Fairley and Bowers. Like you're doing again now.

I see you're noticeably silent on where he has Cam Heyward.

This would be (aren't they all?) a good draft to trade down for more picks, barring stipulations of the CBA that I don't know about.

I'm still not 100% on MJ93 at the end...and since this is a deep draft for DE, practically the answer to our prayers in October when we were getting no pressure and winning no games, I think we must go this direction even if the P****r situation is unresolved.

I think this will be a average to poor draft for QB's. There has been a nice run of QB's the last 3 years... this year feels dry. For me, it's Cam Newton or nothing, as Locker is overrated and Gabbert would need a year of holding a clipboard.

One interesting player, if he could play some safety next year, is Peterson from LSU...that could be pretty deadly with Hall and Joseph.

1st - DE
2nd - OL
3rd - RB

Beyond that I can't say what I'd prefer in each round.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1296066673' post='965838']

[/quote]

out of sight, out of mind.

Come talk to me after the combine and pro day. I still say he ends up in the 8-13 range by the time its all said and done.

[quote name='spicoli-2' timestamp='1296067520' post='965847']
Hey 1181...who's the guy you really want @ 35? Don't go by needs, tell me the guy that you'd absolutely love to see us end up with.
[/quote]

provided we go dline in round 1, I'd really like the top olineman that can start at multiple OL spots.

My ideal guy right now is Marcus Cannon from TCU. An ideal RG or RT, who's played RT, RG, and LT in his 4 years at TCU. He could step right into RG and would provide insurance at RT in case Andre isn't back in time.

Only drawback with that is that Bobbie Williams isn't going to be benched (even if he should) so drafting a guy for the right side doesn't do any immediate good until Bobbie's contract runs out next year.

The guy I really want in the 2nd is Titus Young. Everytime I watch the kid he does something incredible. I think he's gonna be a difference maker from day 1 just like DeSean Jackson was for the Eagles.

If I'm looking at needs though and I really want whats best for the Bengals, I'm taking Danny Watkins. I think you can plug him in at any spot on the line and he'll play at a high level at all of em. He reminds me a lot of Eric Steinbach actually. David Diehl with the giants might be a better example though.

Corey Liuget wouldn't be a bad way to go either depending on who we take at 4.

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1296064367' post='965819']
alas, something interesting to discuss...

this draft is going to be all over the place, the top 10 can be just about and order, there is no dead set #1 pick, no dead set top 5 really..

lots of teams with lots of needs and some without any huge top 5 pick type needs..

and the CBA is also a huge issue/obstacle..
[/quote]
The combine will help solidify a lot of things. I think we'll have a much more clear idea when that's done with.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1296066673' post='965838']
that's funny, because you used them earlier in the week to try and pat yourself on the back about Fairley and Bowers. Like you're doing again now.

[/quote]

How the hell do you remember all this? I see a lot of guys on here and they remember what poster posted what and his exact words on it. I can't do it... too many opinions to remember.

[quote name='spicoli-2' timestamp='1296068841' post='965862']
[b]The guy I really want in the 2nd is Titus Young.[/b] Everytime I watch the kid he does something incredible. I think he's gonna be a difference maker from day 1 just like DeSean Jackson was for the Eagles.

If I'm looking at needs though and I really want whats best for the Bengals, I'm taking Danny Watkins. I think you can plug him in at any spot on the line and he'll play at a high level at all of em. He reminds me a lot of Eric Steinbach actually. David Diehl with the giants might be a better example though.

Corey Liuget wouldn't be a bad way to go either depending on who we take at 4.
[/quote]

I like him too but I don't want an offensive skill position in the first couple rounds. Give me the big boys that play in the trenches... or Jake Locker in the 2nd.

I wouldn't mind a trade down to grab some picks and get Von and then trade up to grab a guy like JJ Watt if he goes into the late 20's. If not, sit back in the second round and get a OG and DeMarco Murray.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1296077854' post='965896']
I wouldn't mind a trade down to grab some picks and get Von and then trade up to grab a guy like JJ Watt if he goes into the late 20's. If not, sit back in the second round and get a OG and DeMarco Murray.
[/quote]

if you were to do that, the best move is probably to stand pat as you suggest. Then you can grab oline and dline in the 2nd round, or as you suggest murray if he's sitting there.

IMO though, I'm wondering if its smart to use a first rounder on a LB (in philosophy) unless they are a surefire MLB prospect.

Futher, I still want to see confirmation that Von can play the pass and fits in a 4-3 defense.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1296077854' post='965896']
[/quote]

i believe the patriots have oaklands 1st round pick, we can swap 1st rounders, and pick up like a 2nd and a 3rd since they have two of each or something rediculous. although this is all theoretical

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1296082002' post='965902']
if you were to do that, the best move is probably to stand pat as you suggest. Then you can grab oline and dline in the 2nd round, or as you suggest murray if he's sitting there.

IMO though, I'm wondering if its smart to use a first rounder on a LB (in philosophy) unless they are a surefire MLB prospect.

Futher, I still want to see confirmation that Von can play the pass.
[/quote]
If he is anything like Clay Matthews I'd take him in a heartbeat and let Mike find ways to let him confuse offenses. Even if he only has adequate cover skills and can rush the QB, he still is more of a difference maker than we have in the backer core.

I'd much rather take on Thomas Howard though and improve the defensive line and the secondary situation.

[quote][size="5"][b]Mark Ingram 2011 NFL Draft Scouting Report[/b][/size]

by NEW ERA SCOUTING on Jan 26, 2011 • 8:21 pm No Comments

[size="4"][b]Mark Ingram[/b][/size]
Height: 5’10″ | Weight: 215lbs | Alabama

Acceleration/Burst/Quickness: Quick burst to attack the line of scrimmage. Good acceleration in 5 and 10-yard splits. Decent lateral agility, but excels at making one cut and squaring his shoulders to the line of scrimmage. Will not dance. Is a very patient runner who does a great job finding holes.

Ball Protection: Only two fumbles in three seasons at Alabama. Excellent ball security. Fumbles will not be an issue in the NFL. Has a strong grip and excellent placement when securing the ball.

Elusiveness/Feet/Agility: Does a great job of keeping his feet moving. Is not elusive in the open field. Will make one cut and lower his shoulders. Good enough agility, but is a classic power runner who does not try to shake defenders.

Pass Catching: Good hands. Used primarily in screen packages. Does a good job locating the ball and bringing it in to his body. Does not let the ball get inside him.

Pass Blocking: Is a willing blocker who has shown a good ability to protect the quarterback in passing situations. Will not be a weak link in terms of blocking for his NFL team.

Power: Strong and well built to handle tacklers. Is best used as an inside runner. Has thick legs that power his runs. Low center of gravity. Exceptional tackler breaker. Defenders will bounce off him if not hit low. Very good leg drive. Falls forward when hit.

Size/Length/Hand Size: Great size for a three-down running back.

Speed: Ingram is not a phenomenal athlete, nor does he possess exceptional athletic ability. He will run a decent high-4.4 in the 40 yard dash and test in the middle on all agility drills. He does have the speed to do damage in the open field, but he will not be outrunning many people.

Vision/Balance/Instincts: Ingram is not fast enough to simply out run defenders, but he has the vision and instincts to get to the edge. Does a very nice job finding holes and then exploding through them.

Final Word: A knee injury caused Ingram to miss the first two games of the 2010 season, but he looked good down the stretch despite sharing carries with Trent Richardson and the Alabama offense relying on the pass more.

The son of a former NFL running back, Ingram has the pedigree and accolades that NFL scouts love. His lack of elite speed and limited upside will prevent Ingram from being a top 15 pick. He will likely land anywhere between 16 and 35 on draft day.[/quote]

http://newerascouting.com/2011/mark-ingram-2011-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

It would be a dream if Ingram fell to us in round 2. I just don't think he warrants anything more than a low first round pick at the most. I think a lot of fans would be disappointed if he went any higher.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1296140293' post='966061']
It would be a dream if Ingram fell to us in round 2. I just don't think he warrants anything more than a low first round pick at the most. I think a lot of fans would be disappointed if he went any higher.
[/quote]

I know he won the Heisman, but I'm not sure I'd even use our 2nd on him. He's a very good college back, but IMO he's not the type of "special" back you use a first or second rounder on.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1296082236' post='965904']
If he is anything like Clay Matthews I'd take him in a heartbeat and let Mike find ways to let him confuse offenses. Even if he only has adequate cover skills and can rush the QB, he still is more of a difference maker than we have in the backer core.

I'd much rather take on Thomas Howard though and improve the defensive line and the secondary situation.
[/quote]

The number of LBs that have proven to be worth top 4 picks are few and far between.

And I haven't heard anyone comparing Miller to Lawrence Taylor.

Pass, unless we trade down several spots.

Archived