Joe Reedy confirms: Jay Gruden Bengals new OC

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/02/source-jay-gruden-heading-to-cincinnati/

[quote]Source: Jay Gruden heading to Cincinnati

Posted by Mike Florio on February 2, 2011, 9:59 PM EST
Rumors are flying that the replacement for Bob Bratkowski will have a very familiar name.

Gruden.

A league source tells us that Jay Gruden, currently the head coach of the Virginia Destroyers of the UFL, will become the next offensive coordinator of the Bengals. The source says the deal is done.

We’ve yet to obtain confirmation of that fact.

Gruden fits the player-acquisition profile that the Bengals have used in recent years. He was arrested for DUI in 2005.

He’s the younger brother of former Raiders and Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden.[/quote]

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-08-28/sports/os-bianchi-tbd-0829-20100828_1_florida-tuskers-jay-gruden-love-coaching

[quote]Jay Gruden is Orlando's best-kept secret
UFL will be his stepping stone to the NFL
August 28, 2010|By Mike Bianchi, SPORTS COMMENTARY
It is time to solve one of the biggest mysteries in Orlando sports history.

And, no, it's not the depressing story of why Shaq really left all those years ago.

It's the uplifting story of why Jay Gruden is still here all these years later.

Ads by Google
Cincinnati Coupons
1 ridiculously huge coupon a day. It's like doing Cincy at 90% off!
www.Groupon.com/Cincinnati
Advertisement

He could have been a college or NFL head coach by now — or at the very least a coordinator at some big-time school or offensively challenged franchise.

He has everything you're looking for in a coach: Offensive imagination, innovation, charisma, even that magical last name. His brother Jon is the former coach who led the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to a Super Bowl championship and now, as part of the " ESPN Monday Night Football" telecast, is arguably TV's most popular pro football analyst.

Why, Jay?

Why are you still here in Orlando — coaching off-Broadway football in the UFL (Unknown, er, United Football League).

"I'm happy here," says Gruden, the head coach of the UFL's hometown Florida Tuskers. "I've never been a media hound. I don't care if my name is in the paper or being mentioned for big-time jobs. I don't have to be on "Hard Knocks."

"I just love coaching football and I love coaching players that have a passion for the game. I've got players I like, a staff I like and a town I love to live in. My wife and kids are happy. I'm not dying to make the jump just because it's the NFL."

Oh, but he will make that leap soon enough. He's too good not to. No offense to the Tuskers or the Arena League, where Gruden coached for years, but he is too talented to stay in Orlando forever. It would be like Kenny Chesney spending his entire career as a lounge singer at the Yeehaw Junction Holiday Inn or Picasso working in the paint department at Lowe's.

"He's one of the best offensive coaches I've ever been around," says Tuskers quarterback Brooks Bollinger, who played in the NFL for seven years.

Gruden's recent hiring by the Tuskers is the first step toward his inevitable ascent up the coaching ladder. This is his first head coaching job in outdoor football, but it won't be his last.

He was former coach Jim Haslett's offensive coordinator last year when the Tuskers averaged a league-best 30.5 points per game and went a perfect 6-0 during the regular season. In nine seasons in the Arena League, Gruden's offenses were positively pyrotechnic, helping the Orlando Predators advance to four ArenaBowls and win two championships.[/quote]

yes its the UFL, but the Florida Tuskers made it to the championship game both years, first with Gruden as the OC, then with him as HC.

I know this pick will surely receive criticism from the fanbase as they don't know much about the guy, nor do I, but I think its fair to give the guy a shot before damnig him.

Think he'll bring Odell back from Florida with him? :)

[quote][size="5"][b]Jay Gruden may bolt the UFL for the NFL[/b][/size]

Posted by Mike Florio on January 17, 2011, 7:58 AM EST

The UFL previously wanted $125,000 for each player who jumped to the active roster of an NFL team. That number was later dropped to $25,000.

For coaches, it remains at zero.

And so former Florida Tuskers coach Jay Gruden, who became coach of the Virginia Destroyers when the UFL pulled the plug on the Tuskers and moved them to Virginia and sent Detroyers coach Joe Moglia to Nebraska to replace Jeff Jagodzinski as coach of the Omaha Nighthawks, could be making the leap to the Carolina Panthers and the still-forming staff of new head coach Ron Rivera.

Jay Gruden, the younger brother of Jon Gruden, is a candidate to become the Panthers’ quarterbacks coach, according to a report that emerged this weekend from the Virginian-Pilot.

“If Jay wasn’t up for an NFL job, then the NFL’s crazy,” Destroyers’ G.M. Doug Williams told the Virginian-Pilot. “I’d be disappointed to lose him. But if he gets the chance to be an offensive coordinator or a quarterbacks coach, I’m gonna be happy for Jay, and so should everybody else.”

So if Gruden leaves, who’ll coach the Destroyers? “If he gets it, maybe I’ll have to come down and get back to coaching,” said Williams, who was the head coach at Grambling before taking a job in the Buccaneers’ front office.

As to Gruden, it’s no secret he’s looking to climb the coaching ladder. In fact, some think that Jon Gruden interviewed with the University of Miami primarily in order to try to put Jay on the Hurricanes’ radar screen.

Jay Gruden previously worked in the NFL as an offensive assistant for Jon Gruden in Tampa. Jay’s interest in jumping back to the NFL without Jon could be interpreted as evidence that no one really knows when Jon may be coming back to coaching.[/quote]

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/17/jay-gruden-may-bolt-the-ufl-for-the-nfl/

[quote][size="5"][b]Forget Jon Gruden, Miami Hurricanes should hire Jay Gruden[/b][/size]

Uncategorized — posted by mike bianchi on December, 3 2010 3:59 AM

[img]http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/gruden_jay.jpg[/img]

Somebody needs to tell the Miami Hurricanes they went after the wrong Gruden.

Forget about Jon Gruden, Miami athletic director Kirby Hocutt would be smart to hire Jay Gruden — the brother of the former Tampa Bay Bucs coach and current Monday Night Football analyst.

I’ve said this before and I will reiterate it here: Jay Gruden, the coach of the UFL Orlando Tuskers, has everything you’re looking for in a coach: Offensive imagination, innovation, charisma, even that magical last name.

It’s always been a mystery as to why colleges are not falling all over themselves to hire Jay. True, he’s never been a college head coach, but he’s been a head coach in the Arena League and the UFL and was an NFL assistant coach under his brother for seven years with the Tampa Bay Bucs.

In his first year as a head coach in the UFL this season, Jay made it to the championship where his Orlando Tuskers barely lost to the Las Vegas Locomotives. He also was a head coach for nine years in the Arena League, where his Predators advanced to four championship games and won two of them.

When I asked Jay earlier this year why he is still in Orlando coaching off-Broadway football in the UFL, he replied: “I’m happy here. I’ve never been a media hound. I don’t care if my name is in the paper or being mentioned for big-time jobs.”

It’s about time somebody started mentioning him for big-time jobs because he’s a big-time coach.

It was always a delusional pipe dream for the Hurricanes to think they could attract a coach like Jon Gruden.

Now it’s time to be more realistic and go after a Gruden who may not have the name recognition of his famous brother but he has just as much coaching ability.[/quote]

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_bianchi/2010/12/jon-gruden-miami-hurricanes-jay-gruden.html

[quote][size="5"][b]Jay Gruden[/b][/size]
One of the top young coaches in all of professional football, Jay Gruden is in his first season as head coach of the Virginia Destroyers of the United Football League.

Gruden guided the Florida Tuskers to the 2010 UFL Championship Game, as the Tuskers won their final three games after a 2-3 start. He began his UFL tenure in 2009 when then-head coach Jim Haslett named him offensive coordinator. Under Gruden’s direction, the Tuskers offense averaged a league-best 30.5 points per game and finished the season with a perfect 6-0 record.

When Haslett resigned to join the staff of the Washington Redskins, the UFL named Gruden head coach on Feb. 9, 2010.

Gruden brings a wealth of professional football experience, beyond his time in the UFL, to the Destroyers. From 2002-2008, he served as an offensive assistant with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. During his tenure, the Bucs won three divisional titles and collected a Super Bowl Championship.

A long-time head coach in the Arena Football League, Gruden served two separate stints (2004-08 and 1998-2001) as head coach and general manager of the Orlando Predators. During his nine-season reign, Gruden led the Predators to four ArenaBowl appearances and a pair of championships. Under Gruden, Orlando never failed to make the playoffs and posted an overall record of 93-61 (.604 winning percentage).

Gruden continues to rank in the top 10 in AFL history in wins, post-season wins and winning percentage.

Prior to being named head coach of the Predators, Gruden served one season as offensive coordinator of the Nashville Kats, where he was credited with developing Andy Kelly into one of the AFL’s top quarterbacks. With the help of Gruden, the expansion Kats won 10 games and earned a playoff spot.

An accomplished AFL player, Gruden quarterbacked the Tampa Bay Storm from 1991-96, winning four championships in six years. Gruden was a first-team All-Arena selection twice and was the league’s MVP in 1992. After coaching the Predators for four seasons, he abruptly resigned to return to the playing field as quarterback of the Predators. In two seasons, Gruden threw for 5,900 yards and 117 touchdowns.

In 2003, Gruden was compiling his finest season as a pro. Completing 62% of his passes, he threw for 49 touchdowns and just two interceptions. After being injured late in the season, it was later learned that Gruden had played his final regular season games and two playoff games on a broken leg and ankle.

For his AFL career, Gruden passed for more than 21,000 yards and 398 touchdowns in the regular season and added more than 4,700 yards and 77 touchdowns in the post-season. As a playoff quarterback, Gruden won 15 of 19 starts. For league’s 20th anniversary, the AFL named Gruden number four on its list of the 20 Greatest Players in AFL history.
In his professional football career covering 24 seasons as either a player, assistant coach or head coach, Gruden’s teams have made the playoffs 20 times and have won seven championships.

A three-year starter at Louisville (1985-88), Gruden passed for more than 7,000 yards and 44 touchdowns under head coach Howard Schnellenberger. A two-time team MVP, Gruden still ranks in the top five in most passing categories in Cardinal history. After graduating with BS degree, Gruden spent one season as a graduate assistant on Schnellenberger’s staff – helping Louisville to an appearance in the Fiesta Bowl.

Gruden hails from a football family. His father Jim is a long-time college and NFL assistant coach and scout, while his brother Jon is a former NFL head coach with the Raiders and Buccaneers and is an analyst on ESPN Monday Night Football. Gruden, 43, and his wife Sherry are the parents of three sons, JJ, Joey and Jack.

A HISTORY OF SUCCESS
Gruden’s Professional Football Record

Year Team Status Record Results
1991 Tampa Bay Storm Player 10-2-0 AFL Champions
1992 Tampa Bay Storm Player 10-2-0 AFL Semifinals
1993 Tampa Bay Storm Player 12-3-0 AFL Champions
1994 Tampa Bay Storm Player 7-5-0 Quarterfinals
1995 Tampa Bay Storm Player 13-2-0 AFL Champions
1996 Tampa Bay Storm Player 15-2-0 AFL Champions
1997 Nashville Kats Off. Coordinator 10-5-0 Quarterfinals
1998 Orlando Predators Head Coach 12-5-0 AFL Champions
1999 Orlando Predators Head Coach 10-8-0 ArenaBowl Runnerup
2000 Orlando Predators Head Coach 14-3-0 AFL Champions
2001 Orlando Predators Head Coach 8-7-0 Quarterfinals
2002 Orlando Predators Player 9-7-0 Semifinals
2002 Tampa Bay Bucs Offensive Asst. 15-4-0 Super Bowl Champs
2003 Orlando Predators Player 13-5-0 Semifinals
2003 Tampa Bay Bucs Offensive Asst. 7-9-0 Missed Playoffs
2004 Orlando Predators Head Coach 10-7-0 Quarterfinals
2004 Tampa Bay Bucs Offensive Asst. 5-11-0 Missed Playoffs
2005 Orlando Predators Head Coach 11-7-0 Conference Finals
2005 Tampa Bay Bucs Offensive Asst. 11-6-0 Wild Card Round
2006 Orlando Predators Head Coach 12-7-0 ArenaBowl Runnerup
2006 Tampa Bay Bucs Offensive Asst. 4-12-0 Missed Playoffs
2007 Orlando Predators Head Coach 8-9-0 First Round
2007 Tampa Bay Bucs Offensive Asst. 9-8-0 Wild Card Round
2008 Orlando Predators Head Coach 9-8-0 First Round
2008 Tampa Bay Bucs Offensive Asst. 9-7-0 Missed Playoffs
2009 Florida Tuskers Off. Coordinator 6-1-0 UFL Runnerup
2010 Florida Tuskers Head Coach 5-4-0 UFL Runnerup
Career Totals Player 69-24-0
Assistant Coach 76-64-0
Head Coach 84-65-0 [/quote]

http://www.ufl-football.com/virginia-destroyers/staff-roster/jay-gruden

I know Im probably being a homer, but I like the signing if its true...a younger, supposedly creative energetic guy trying to make a name for himself.

Might have a little growing pains here and there, but either way I think it will infuse some much needed energy into this offense.

maybe this website knows something we don't? Looks like his wiki page is already updated, lol.

[quote]Wiki: Jay Gruden
Jay Gruden (born March 4, 1967 in Tampa, Florida) is an American football coach and former quarterback. [b]He is currently the offensive coordinator for the Cincinnati Bengals[/b] of the National Football League and was formerly the head coach of the Florida Tuskers of the United Football League. Gruden is also the brother of former Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach and current Monday Night Football analyst Jon Gruden.
[/quote]

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Jay_Gruden

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1296704006' post='967801']
I know Im probably being a homer, but I like the signing if its true...a younger, supposedly creative energetic guy trying to make a name for himself.

Might have a little growing pains here and there, but either way I think it will infuse some much needed energy into this offense.
[/quote]

I'm just curious as to how his style will translate. He's got a heavy AFL background, and correct me if I'm wrong, the AFL is typically more passing than running.

[quote name='Jeff Blake' timestamp='1296703152' post='967791']
If true I like it. It's new blood and maybe you catch lightning in a bottle. If the Harbaughs can be successful why not the Grudens? You never know.
[/quote]
Yes! Coaching bloodlines guarantee success!

[img]http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/6513/2008153372.jpg[/img]

[quote][size="5"][b]UFL PR: Jay Gruden is New Tuskers Head Coach[/b][/size]

BY DUSTY SLOAN ⋅ FEBRUARY 9, 2010 ⋅ EMAIL THIS POST ⋅ PRINT THIS POST ⋅ POST A COMMENT
FILED UNDER FLORIDA TUSKERS, JAY GRUDEN, UFL, UNITED FOOTBALL LEAGUE

ORLANDO (February 9, 2010) – At a press conference today at Rosen Shingle Creek, UFL Commissioner Michael Huyghue announced Jay Gruden as Head Coach of the Florida Tuskers. Gruden previously served as Offensive Coordinator for the Tuskers. The Tuskers finished the season with a 6-1 record and an appearance in the UFL’s Championship Game.

“Jay Gruden was the natural choice as the next head coach of the Florida Tuskers,” said Commissioner Huyghue. “Under Coach Gruden’s guidance, the Tuskers’ offense led the League in all categories and helped secure the team a spot in the Championship Game mid-way through the season. Coach Gruden’s recent success on the field, coupled with his local appeal, bodes well for this Florida franchise moving forward.”

“I am honored to take on the role of Head Coach of the Florida Tuskers and grateful to the UFL for this opportunity,” said Coach Gruden. “Our first season was a great success. Coach Haslett created a solid foundation that the team can continue to build upon. I am proud of the way Orlando has embraced the Tuskers’ dedicated players and coaches and I am excited to get to work preparing for season two.”

The Florida Tuskers was the dominant team of the UFL’s “Premiere” season under the leadership of Gruden and former Head Coach Jim Haslett, who was recently named Defensive Coordinator for the Washington Redskins. In Gruden’s first season with Florida, his potent offense propelled the Tuskers to an undefeated regular season (6-0) and a spot in the Championship Game. Under Gruden’s guidance, QB Brooks Bollinger led the league in passing yards (1,825), touchdowns (16) and earned the title of UFL Player of the Year.

Prior to coaching in the UFL, [b]Gruden spent 17 seasons in the Arena Football League, acquiring six Championship titles and consistently rewriting the league’s history books. [/b] [b]As starting quarterback in Tampa Bay, Gruden led the Storm to an unprecedented four ArenaBowl titles in six seasons. [/b] During his playing career, Gruden racked up two All-Arena selections and grabbed the 1992 MVP honors.

As head coach of the Orlando Predators (1998-2001, 2004-2008), Gruden led his team to four ArenaBowl appearances with two championships and ranks sixth overall in AFL wins with a 82-54 regular-season record. As a head coach, he is 93-61-0 and ranks in the top 10 overall in coaching wins and winning percentage. He is one of only five AFL coaches with two or more ArenaBowl championships. As a quarterback, he ranks in the top ten with more than 20,000 passing yards and close to 400 touchdowns.

[b]Gruden’s success as a coach is not confined to Arena Football. For seven seasons, he served as an offensive assistant for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the NFL. In that capacity, Gruden earned his seventh professional championship ring when the Bucs won the 2002 Super Bowl.[/b][/quote]

http://uflaccess.com/jay-gruden/ufl-pr-jay-gruden-is-new-tuskers-head-coach/

Archived