Joe Reedy confirms: Jay Gruden Bengals new OC

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1296742751' post='967888']
Tuskers I'd bring in for a look off the top of my head:

OL Shane Olivea (former starter with the Chargers)

WR John Standeford (6'4", think he still holds the career reception mark at Purdue)

TE Jermaine Wiggins

DT Claude Wroten

QB Brooks Bollinger
[/quote]

Standeford was a great college player who I think was a pre-season star in Indy, but didn't make the roster. I think getting separation would be an issue for him. Wiggins is old; I don't think I'd bring him in.

Wroten was highly-regarded as college player until he messed up and got into some off-field issues (pot and other stuff, I believe) and really hurt his chances. He's got talent; maybe he's learned his lesson and has matured.

Bollinger I'd consider - not because he's great, but because I think Jordan Palmer isn't good and we need to bolster the backup QB spot, and if nothing else, he provides competition. With a full year in the program, I wouldn't be shocked if Lefevour overtakes Jordan as the #2. He's got some upside... Jordan just has RunPee.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1296743074' post='967890']
There is one guy I'd bring back, but I know it would never happen (1. He lied to Mike Brown about something (no idea what) and 2. He has to be reinstated by the league) Odell Thurman

:)
[/quote]

Did Odell tear up the UFL? If he was back in 2005 form, he should have been the best defender in the league. I didn't watch so no idea how good he is now.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' timestamp='1296709409' post='967842']
As long as we don't shovel pass, then I'm cool :P
[/quote]

It's become funny, the shovel pass. Funny thing is shovel pass works.
Rather run that on 3 and 3 then try to give it Benson. Our run blocking
just blew ass this year.

I like the out of the box approach. I like the fact he has had alot of people chiming wondering why his star hasn't risen yet.

I'm more interested in Marvin speaking about his qualities and what he liked about Jay.

What's the standard of success for him in year 1? Bar is low.

For some reason I like the fact that he is an X-QB. But not only just an X-QB, but a guy (looking at his resume) hung on to playing QB despite not ever having NFL skills. Very Sam Wyche of him.

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1296709074' post='967841']
hope everyone likes run-run-run-run-run-run-run-pass-run-run-run football..

carson isnt every going to play here again...
[/quote]
Yeah, we know how your predictions have panned out lately.

There is one guy I'd bring back, but I know it would never happen (1. He lied to Mike Brown about something (no idea what) and 2. He has to be reinstated by the league) Odell Thurman

[/quote]

Id say that thing he lied about had something to do with meth

I think those of you thinking we are going to be a run heavy team are wrong.

the key is to be balanced and be able to throw and run the ball. We really haven't been that way since 2006. Well maybe the first half of 2009.

people think the 2009 team was run heavy but in the first half of the year when this team was playing at it's best we were very balanced. We didn't become run heavy till the second half of the year when we we weren't that good of a team anyways.

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1296744184' post='967903']
Did Odell tear up the UFL? If he was back in 2005 form, he should have been the best defender in the league. I didn't watch so no idea how good he is now.
[/quote]

he was defensive player of the year in the UFL the first year.

[/quote]

No doubt! What a waste of abilities... if he's chilled out now, I would looooove that guy back.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' timestamp='1296744504' post='967905']
With Jay Gruden, how different would the system be compared to the one ran by Brat? It means another learning curve for Rome and Andre just as they became starters! Will this slow the team's progress next year?
[/quote]

Great question. This I want to know as well, especially with the labor situation and the potential for very little practice time to learn a new system.

[quote name='nkywestside' timestamp='1296744647' post='967906']
It's become funny, the shovel pass. Funny thing is shovel pass works.
Rather run that on 3 and 3 then try to give it Benson. Our run blocking
just blew ass this year.
[/quote]

It worked for a few yards every time but Brat would do it on 3rd and 12, which is why people hated it.

And we don't need to "convince" Benson that we will run it more. He likes to run yes, but he was encouraged Brat got canned because as he said, its not about how much you run but about making the talent fit with the system, which was not Brat's strong suit.

[quote name='bengals8580' timestamp='1296746285' post='967919']
Id say that thing he lied about had something to do with meth
[/quote]

I don't believe it. I remember reading he drank himself silly, often. And his grandmother dying and causing him a relapse or something. Oh yeah, and he liked to smoke the weeds. :smoke:

Here is there stats from last year.

Page 6. http://www.ufl-football.com/sites/default/files/Week10Reports.pdf

Nick Novak as a Kicker sounds interesting. He has bounced around the league but had success in Florida. We will need to atleast explore the option of another kicker with Stitsers poor kickoffs and the injury to the OSU guy whose name escapes me but was playing great.

Brooks Bollinger would be a guy I would definitely get. Especially if he is going to employ either the same system or terminology.

Their top 2 receivers are Cortez Hankton and Calvin Russell.
Hankton http://www.ufl-football.com/florida-tuskers/player-roster/hankton-cortez
Russell http://www.ufl-football.com/florida-tuskers/player-roster/russell-calvin

Calvin is Younger but Hankton has more NFL experience. Both could be added for camp and would provide more then a CFA would.

[size="5"][b]All signs point to Jay Gruden [/b]
[/size]By GEOFF HOBSON

Posted 45 minutes ago

After canvassing a variety of offensive coordinators on all levels, the Bengals appeared ready Thursday to tap the varied background of Jay Gruden.

There was no official announcement from the club Thursday morning, but the move first surfaced on ProFootballtalk.com Wednesday night.

Gruden, 43, the younger brother of former NFL head coach Jon Gruden who won two Arena Bowl titles as a head coach, is coming off a one-year stint as the head man and general manager for the UFL's Florida Tuskers. In between he served on his brother's staff in Tampa Bay as an offensive assistant for the seven seasons from 2002-2008.

Since quarterbacking Louisville in the late '80s, Gruden has played and coached in four pro leagues and coached in both the NFL and AFL from 2004-2008. Gruden didn't coach a position with the Bucs while assisting Jon Gruden with the game plan during the week and from the press box during games.

He fits the profile sought by head coach Marvin Lewis as a fresh-faced innovator and it looks like the Bengals are going back to at least a portion of their West Coast roots

In 18 seasons as a player and head coach, Jay Gruden never missed the Arena playoffs. While quarterbacking the Tampa Storm he won four league titles and an MVP award before embarking on a coaching career that began as the offensive coordinator for the AFL's Nashville Katz.

A Mike Bianchi column in the Orland Sentinel last August praised him as "Orlando's best kept secret," and predicted he would one day move on to bigger and better things. When Bianchi asked why he hadn't yet, Gruden, brother of the game' most popular announcer, gave a non-media answer.

"I'm happy here," Gruden told Bianchi. "I've never been a media hound. I don't care if my name is in the paper or being mentioned for big-time jobs. I don't have to be on "Hard Knocks.

"I just love coaching football and I love coaching players that have a passion for the game. I've got players I like, a staff I like and a town I love to live in. My wife and kids are happy. I'm not dying to make the jump just because it's the NFL."

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/All-signs-point-to-Jay-Gruden-/c5dc9002-b0aa-462a-af48-8de0868ba326"]http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/All-signs-point-to-Jay-Gruden-/c5dc9002-b0aa-462a-af48-8de0868ba326[/url]

At first glance, I'm optomistic. He has no tape for teams to game plan against. He comes from an arena background which focuses on getting the ball out quick. Carson will have a ton more success going deep if safeties have to worry about more than 10 yard out routes and sideline go routes. Shipley and Gresham should be really happy about this as should BScott.

I would also argue Carson could benefit from this too. He has always seemed to me to be most accurate in the middle of the field and seems to struggle the most with coverages that are rolled to either side of the field.

Lastly, in light of the whole CBA issue my guess is his offense is not super complex since he essentially has had to teach it to NFL rejects in a league that players are more than likely not trying to stay there for years. His success in places where players are fairly transient may be a help too.

Let's hope the buzz around him is valid.

Archived