Watch the 2011 NFL Combine Live ONLINE

Glad people are talking about Dareus. I like him over Fairley. He played this year with a high ankle sprain, but last year I remember lusting after him. He's the real deal, and I'd take him over McCoy who went last year in the top 3. You just don't get players like that that often.

[quote name='SocalBengalEd' timestamp='1298917737' post='973560']
I think we may of found our LOLB for the next 10 years and a leader of our defense in Von Miller. 4.46 and every other test he tore it up today and the guy is smart. Start any shitty qb this year and then get our leader of our offense in Andrew Luck
[/quote]

Martez Wilson ran 4.44 and 4.47. If he's somehow there at 35, I would not object.

[quote name='SocalBengalEd' timestamp='1298917737' post='973560']
I think we may of found our LOLB for the next 10 years and a leader of our defense in Von Miller. 4.46 and every other test he tore it up today and the guy is smart. Start any shitty qb this year and then get our leader of our offense in Andrew Luck
[/quote]

I agree, the kid is absolutely elite.

I don't care what kind of defense you play he's now a top 5 lock. No way I'd pass him up.

[quote name='spicoli-2' timestamp='1298919880' post='973571']
I agree, the kid is absolutely elite.

I don't care what kind of defense you play he's now a top 5 lock. No way I'd pass him up.
[/quote]
You know what our situation reminds me of? Seattle's situation a couple years ago when they drafted Curry.

They already had a young linebacker in Taitupa (whatever his name is) and they already had a guy they franchise tagged (Hill?). I figured there was no way in hell that they would take a LB, but they did. They had questions at QB and could have went that route but decided to get a guy they knew would be able to play at least through his first contract in Curry. Could be the same thing here.

This again just shows how much these defensive players trump the top offensive players. If we pick defense, we can't go wrong. There's too many talents out there that can help immediately and for the next 5+ years.

Bowers, Fairley, Bennett, Peterson, Miller.

We pick 4 so someone is going to be there no matter what happens. Get it done, Bengals!!!

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1298921359' post='973574']
You know what our situation reminds me of? Seattle's situation a couple years ago when they drafted Curry.

They already had a young linebacker in Taitupa (whatever his name is) and they already had a guy they franchise tagged (Hill?). I figured there was no way in hell that they would take a LB, but they did. They had questions at QB and could have went that route but decided to get a guy they knew would be able to play at least through his first contract in Curry. Could be the same thing here.
[/quote]

and Curry's been a disappointment in Seattle so far.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1298922133' post='973577']
and Curry's been a disappointment in Seattle so far.
[/quote]

and nowhere near as explosive as Miller is.

look, the bottomline here is that no matter what you think of him, Von miller is the best pass rusher and the most explosive defensive player in this draft. He's played 4 yrs in a major program going up against some of the best o-lineman in the country every wk and has been absolutely dominant. It doesn't matter what kind of defense you play, you put him on the field and you play to his strengths and then you just unleash him. Any D'cord worth a grain of salt, will find a way to fit this kid into their system and will put him into a position to make plays. Plus, he's a great kid and a great leader...there simply is no downside to picking him.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1298921801' post='973575']
This again just shows how much these defensive players trump the top offensive players. If we pick defense, we can't go wrong. There's too many talents out there that can help immediately and for the next 5+ years.

Bowers, Fairley, Bennett, Peterson, Miller.

We pick 4 so someone is going to be there no matter what happens. Get it done, Bengals!!!
[/quote]

BINGO!

[quote name='spicoli-2' timestamp='1298923561' post='973587']
The bottom-line here is this...come away with Fairley, Darius, Bowers, Quinn, [b]Peterson[/b] or Miller and you're getting yourself a great player that will come in and help your team from day 1. What more could anybody possibly ask for?
[/quote]

[quote name='spicoli-2' timestamp='1298923207' post='973584']
and nowhere near as explosive as Miller is.

look, the bottomline here is that no matter what you think of him, Von miller is the best pass rusher and the most explosive defensive player in this draft. He's played 4 yrs in a major program going up against some of the best o-lineman in the country every wk and has been absolutely dominant. It doesn't matter what kind of defense you play, you put him on the field and you play to his strengths and then you just unleash him. Any D'cord worth a grain of salt, will find a way to fit this kid into their system and will put him into a position to make plays. Plus, he's a great kid and a great leader...there simply is no downside to picking him.
[/quote]

I certainly won't be moping if they take him. I just don't think he offers the most value at #4 at this point.

If you can trade down and get him AND an extra pick, you've hit the jackpot.

[quote name='spicoli-2' timestamp='1298923561' post='973587']
The bottom-line here is this...come away with Fairley, Darius, Bowers, Quinn or [s]Miller[/s][b]Green[/b] and you're getting yourself a great player that will come in and help your team from day 1. What more could anybody possibly ask for?
[/quote]

FIFY

Although I was impressed with his workout, I still think Miller would be a bit of a project in our defense. Can we afford to take a "project" at 4?

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1298923671' post='973588']
I certainly won't be moping if they take him. [b]I just don't think he offers the most value at #4 at this point.[/b]
[/quote]

a top 5 grade is a top 5 grade and that's exactly what he's going to end up with.

to me, I really don't care...just come away with one of the defensive guys mentioned above and I'm happy.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1298923860' post='973589']
FIFY

Although I was impressed with his workout, I still think Miller would be a bit of a project in our defense. Can we afford to take a "project" at 4?
[/quote]

Practice, practice, practice. When he's in, blitz the hell out of him!

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1298923860' post='973589']
FIFY

[/quote]

Ok let's assume that's true (even tho I don't think it is)...let's say he needs some work and he has to start off as a situational pass rusher and he gets you 15 sacks in his first yr, which, is an entirely realistic number for this kid....are you going to tell me that he wasn't worth a number 4 pick if you get that kind of production from him in his first yr even though you're just using him situationally? I think he's a 3 down LB from day one, but even if he isn't during his first year, there's still plenty of time for him to become that guy in the future. Make no mistake though, he will be a flat out pass rushing machine from day 1 regardless of where he ends up...those guys don't just grow on trees.

[quote name='spicoli-2' timestamp='1298924871' post='973597']
Ok let's assume that's true (even tho I don't think it is)...let's say he needs some work and he has to start off as a situational pass rusher and he gets you 15 sacks in his first yr, which, is an entirely realistic number for this kid....are you going to tell me that he wasn't worth a number 4 pick if you get that kind of production from him in his first yr even though your just using him situationally? I think he's a 3 down LB from day one, but even if he isn't during his first year, there's still plenty of time for him to become that guy in the future. Make no mistake though, he will be a flat out pass rushing machine from day 1 regardless of where he ends up...those guys don't just grow on trees.
[/quote]

Considering how rarely we blitz our LBs, I have a hard time seeing him getting 15 sacks as a rookie. When Zimmer blitzes he blitzes DBs.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1298921834' post='973576']
I do like that Fitzgearld is on the field working with LB. Should help give us some extra insight.
[/quote]

He was cracking me up trying to strip the ball from EVERYONE of the LBs.

Dude didn't take a break from it at all.

I really like him. I still wonder why they thought of letting him go.

Archived