The best thing that could happen to the Bengals

1. The Panthers draft Newton or Gabbert.
This is plausible because last year all people were talking about was Rams and Suh.... Rams and Suh, and they ended up drafting Bradford.

2. Buffalo selects who is left between Gabbert and Newton. Buffalo knows we rotate ahead of them in the second round and that we will be looking for a QB at some point so they may feel forced to overdraft one here. QB's are classicly overdrafted because of their importance. This would also take the top 2 QB's off the board and remove the temptation for MB.

3. The Bengals select Bowers/Dareus/Peterson.

4. A top 10 team like the Titans or Redskins(you know Snyder would have a hard time not busting a nut thinking about having Palmer under Center) trades for Palmer.

5. We use that pick to draft Julio Jones or maybe even Green(I would rather have Von Miller though).

6. In rounds 2 to 4 we draft Mallet/Ponder/Stanzi. This also would not preclude the Bengals from drafting Luck next year if we have an awful season and end up with the first pick.

7. In what ever rounds we have left we select OL and DB.

The perfect storm. Is it likely? ehhhh....

Possible? Yes. The football gods owe Bengal fans....so pray!

To up the wishful thinking quotient:

Bengals trade Carson to Arizona or San Fran for their first rounder. Gabbert goes in first 3 picks but Newton is on the board. MB wants him but remembers taking Akili in 99. Snyder wants him bad too so he trades pick 10 plus a 2nd this year and 3rd next for the 4th pick. Bengals take Bowers/Fairley/Dareus with first pick, Jones with 10th overall, and have an extra 2nd this year and 3rd next.

I can top that.

Trade Carson to Arizona for their 2nd and 4th.

Sign a vet as a 1-2 year starter.

Trade Chad for a 4th.

Use the money freed up by Carson/Chad to resign Benson and JJ.

Trade the #4 pick to Tennessee (who wants to get ahead of AZ and SF for a QB), for the #8 pick and their 2nd rounder.

Draft:

1. OLB Von Miller

2. OL Marcus Cannon

2. QB Christian Ponder

2. SS Deandre McDaniel

3. RB Shane Vereen

4. WR Austin Pettis

4. DE Greg Romeus

4. LG Justin Boren

plus 3 more picks to do whatever you want with.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1299269152' post='975154']
I can top that.

Trade Carson to Arizona for their 2nd and 4th.

Sign a vet as a 1-2 year starter.

Trade Chad for a 4th.

Use the money freed up by Carson/Chad to resign Benson and JJ.

Trade the #4 pick to Tennessee (who wants to get ahead of AZ and SF for a QB), for the #8 pick and their 2nd rounder.

Draft:

1. OLB Von Miller

2. OL Marcus Cannon

2. SS Deandre McDaniel

3. QB Andy Dalton

4. WR Austin Pettis

4. DE Greg Romeus

4. LG Justin Boren

plus 3 more picks to do whatever you want with.
[/quote]

You'd even have another 2nd rounder in your scenario

If we're talking dream scenarios, here's what I would go with:

[b]* Cincinnati trades Carson to San Francisco 49ers for 2011 2nd Round pick (#45) & 3rd Round pick.
* Cincinnati trades Chad to New York Jets for 2011 3rd Round pick (#94).[/b]
[b]
Round 1 (#4) - Von Miller, Texas A&M, OLB, 6’2” 246lbs[/b]
Yes, I realize that we have other pressing needs, but I would go with Miller over AJ Green if I had my choice. Green is an absolute stud, but if we are building this team on defense and running the ball, Miller is the choice. An athletic hybrid with explosive speed and a burst to terrorize opponents off the edge, Miller would thrive as the SAM linebacker under Zimmer.

[b]Round 2 (#35) - Christian Ponder, QB, Florida State, 6’2” 229lbs[/b]
I think this pick has to be a QB if you trade away Palmer. Colin Kaepernick is an intriguing option, but I think you already have his skill set in LeFeavor. I wasn’t sold on Ponder before the combine, but showing that kind of accuracy with receivers you aren’t familiar with is really impressive and he seems to fit perfectly into Gruden’s scheme.

[b]Round 2 (#45 from San Francisco) - Marcus Cannon, OT/OG, Texas Christian, 6’5” 359lbs[/b]
If you want to pound the rock, this is your guy. He isn’t just another Andre Smith either. He’s a big guy that can move in space, but is probably going to end up inside even though he has proven he can hold his own at either tackle spot if needed. Imagine the kind of “Jurassic” package we could throw out there with this guy thrown into the mix!

[b]Round 3 (#66) - Marvin Austin, DT, North Carolina, 6’2” 312lbs[/b]
Here’s the annual Mike Brown pick. He has 1st round talent, but character issues are going to hurt him just like they hurt Dunlap and Maualuga before him. At this point, he is an AMAZING value and well worth the risk given his performance at the combine.

[b]Round 3 (#76 from San Francisco) - Austin Pettis, WR, Boise State, 6’3” 201lbs[/b]
Pettis is no AJ Green, but he does bring a little bit of that Chris Henry factor back to the offense. Every game I’ve ever seen him in he has been nothing short of impressive.

[b]Round 3(#94 from New York) - Rodney Hudson, OG, Florida State, 6’2” 282lbs[/b]
If Cannon is your mauler on the right side, Hudson is the pulling guard. He’s a LOT lighter than we usually like on the o-line, but he has a fantastic football IQ and is very quick in space and getting to the second level. What he lacks in size he makes up for with excellent feet and body position.

[b]Round 4 (#100) - Ahmad Black, SS, Florida, 5’9” 183lbs[/b]
He will go a lot later than he should because of his size, but this guy can flat out make plays. His size and lack of top end speed at the combine is going to REALLY hurt his stock, but regardless of all the knocks against him you simply can’t deny the results. Despite his size, he is not afraid to be physical and make tackles at the line. He also has experience at corner and can play man coverage which is a good fit given the way Zimmer interchanges his safeties and corners in certain situations.
[b]
Round 5 (#131) – Greg Romeus, DE, Pittsburgh, 6’5” 265lbs[/b]
He is going to slide WAY farther down than most people are projecting in my opinion. Missing back to back seasons with injuries is going to scare a lot of teams away completely, but this late he is worth a flier if there is even a remote chance he can get back to his old form. Romeus is an outstanding combination of burst, fluidity, length and strength… when healthy.

[b]Round 6 (#162) - Owen Marecic, FB, Stanford, 6’1” 244lbs[/b]
If we’re going to get back to pounding the football, we have to upgrade at fullback. We still have no idea what Vakapuna is capable of, especially coming back from injury. Marecic is a true throwback and is one of the better pure blocking fullbacks to come around. On top of everything else, he is an excellent special teams player; which is something you always look for at this point in the draft.

[b]Round 7 (#195) – Bilal Powell, RB, Louisville, 6’0” 215lbs[/b]
Another big powerful runner to add to the stable. He came out of nowhere to win the starting job as a senior and set the Louisville single season rushing record with 1405 yards on only 229 carries, a startling 6.1 yards per carry! At this point in the draft, you’re drafting for potential and Powell is oozing with it.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1299386369' post='975377']
well done starkesn. My only comment would be that with 3 FB's already on the team, I don't know that they draft another. Nothing against Marecic though.
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm just not sold on any of our current fullbacks until I see Vakapuna come back from injury. Not a lot of positions at that point in the draft will make the team, so I figure FB has the best chance of making an impact + he played LB as well at Stanford, so he would be great for special teams as well.

[quote name='starkesn' timestamp='1299383833' post='975370']
If we're talking dream scenarios, here's what I would go with:

[b]* Cincinnati trades Carson to San Francisco 49ers for 2011 2nd Round pick (#45) & 3rd Round pick.
* Cincinnati trades Chad to New York Jets for 2011 3rd Round pick (#94).[/b]
[b]
Round 1 (#4) - Von Miller, Texas A&M, OLB, 6’2” 246lbs[/b]
Yes, I realize that we have other pressing needs, but I would go with Miller over AJ Green if I had my choice. Green is an absolute stud, but if we are building this team on defense and running the ball, Miller is the choice. An athletic hybrid with explosive speed and a burst to terrorize opponents off the edge, Miller would thrive as the SAM linebacker under Zimmer.

[b]Round 2 (#35) - Christian Ponder, QB, Florida State, 6’2” 229lbs[/b]
I think this pick has to be a QB if you trade away Palmer. Colin Kaepernick is an intriguing option, but I think you already have his skill set in LeFeavor. I wasn’t sold on Ponder before the combine, but showing that kind of accuracy with receivers you aren’t familiar with is really impressive and he seems to fit perfectly into Gruden’s scheme.

[b]Round 2 (#45 from San Francisco) - Marcus Cannon, OT/OG, Texas Christian, 6’5” 359lbs[/b]
If you want to pound the rock, this is your guy. He isn’t just another Andre Smith either. He’s a big guy that can move in space, but is probably going to end up inside even though he has proven he can hold his own at either tackle spot if needed. Imagine the kind of “Jurassic” package we could throw out there with this guy thrown into the mix!

[b]Round 3 (#66) - Marvin Austin, DT, North Carolina, 6’2” 312lbs[/b]
Here’s the annual Mike Brown pick. He has 1st round talent, but character issues are going to hurt him just like they hurt Dunlap and Maualuga before him. At this point, he is an AMAZING value and well worth the risk given his performance at the combine.

[b]Round 3 (#76 from San Francisco) - Austin Pettis, WR, Boise State, 6’3” 201lbs[/b]
Pettis is no AJ Green, but he does bring a little bit of that Chris Henry factor back to the offense. Every game I’ve ever seen him in he has been nothing short of impressive.

[b]Round 3(#94 from New York) - Rodney Hudson, OG, Florida State, 6’2” 282lbs[/b]
If Cannon is your mauler on the right side, Hudson is the pulling guard. He’s a LOT lighter than we usually like on the o-line, but he has a fantastic football IQ and is very quick in space and getting to the second level. What he lacks in size he makes up for with excellent feet and body position.

[b]Round 4 (#100) - Ahmad Black, SS, Florida, 5’9” 183lbs[/b]
He will go a lot later than he should because of his size, but this guy can flat out make plays. His size and lack of top end speed at the combine is going to REALLY hurt his stock, but regardless of all the knocks against him you simply can’t deny the results. Despite his size, he is not afraid to be physical and make tackles at the line. He also has experience at corner and can play man coverage which is a good fit given the way Zimmer interchanges his safeties and corners in certain situations.
[b]
Round 5 (#131) – Greg Romeus, DE, Pittsburgh, 6’5” 265lbs[/b]
He is going to slide WAY farther down than most people are projecting in my opinion. Missing back to back seasons with injuries is going to scare a lot of teams away completely, but this late he is worth a flier if there is even a remote chance he can get back to his old form. Romeus is an outstanding combination of burst, fluidity, length and strength… when healthy.

[b]Round 6 (#162) - Owen Marecic, FB, Stanford, 6’1” 244lbs[/b]
If we’re going to get back to pounding the football, we have to upgrade at fullback. We still have no idea what Vakapuna is capable of, especially coming back from injury. Marecic is a true throwback and is one of the better pure blocking fullbacks to come around. On top of everything else, he is an excellent special teams player; which is something you always look for at this point in the draft.

[b]Round 7 (#195) – Bilal Powell, RB, Louisville, 6’0” 215lbs[/b]
Another big powerful runner to add to the stable. He came out of nowhere to win the starting job as a senior and set the Louisville single season rushing record with 1405 yards on only 229 carries, a startling 6.1 yards per carry! At this point in the draft, you’re drafting for potential and Powell is oozing with it.
[/quote]

1. Name the last LB taken that high to live up to the pick.
2. I'm still hoping Carson is back, but I guess he's a decent option if not.
2. Love it!
3. I'll be shocked if he lasts that long. Love it if he does.
3. Ok.
3.Too small for this division.
4. Too small, too slow.
5. Good pick if he lasts that long.
6. I'm with Bengals1181 on the FB thing.
7. I doubt he lasts that long. Great if he does.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1299418094' post='975395']
1. Name the last LB taken that high to live up to the pick.
2. I'm still hoping Carson is back, but I guess he's a decent option if not.
2. Love it!
3. I'll be shocked if he lasts that long. Love it if he does.
3. Ok.
[b]3.Too small for this division.[/b]
4. Too small, too slow.
5. Good pick if he lasts that long.
6. I'm with Bengals1181 on the FB thing.
7. I doubt he lasts that long. Great if he does.
[/quote]

In fact, Hudson is smaller than ANY olinemen taken in the last 3 drafts.

http://footballpros.com/content.php/755-Jerry-Jones-Chart-II-Height-weight-and-speed-2008-2010

Archived