Shopping for a new TV

Ben

So.. I am ready to replace my old 42" 720p plasma tv. Has anyone bought a new tv recently? From what I have been able to tell so far, there does not seem to be much of a difference in picture quality between the major players.

I swear stores make certain tv's look better to push them. HHGregg had the colors screwed up on every tv except the Sony Bravias yesterday. Best Buy had what looked like an sd feed to going to most tv's not Samsung.

I want something 55-60", 240mhz, 3D.

If you're going 240mhz route then you're looking at LED. I like LG and Samsung a lot. I too am in the market and thinking of going the plasma route. You get more bang for the buck and it has darker blacks and they run up to 600mhz so transitions are quicker and smoother, but they have more heat and use roughly 3-5 dollars more a month in electric. I was at HH Gregg last week and had then talked down to 1349.00 for the 60" LG 600mhz 3D, network plasma. I didn't pull the trigger because my basement still has about a month before it will be done, so I will just wait and make sure nothing better comes out or the price drops.

BeaverHunter, plasmas are nice enough but with the higher contrast ratios on LCD's these days and ridiculous contrast ratios on LED's.....Plasma's are going by the wayside. I think less and less companies are even making plasmas these days. Panasonic, Samsung and LG will continue to make them but not many others.

I have a Samsung 46" LCD 240hz that has 150,000:1 contrast ratio.......I honestly can't tell the blacks are not as black and whites not as white as a plasma at all. It's fantastic........and I bought it 2 yrs ago almost so I imagine the technology has gotten that much better since.

LG, Samsung and Sony. I never deviate from those 3 makers. Sharp is ok too but I've found the other 3 to be the best.

I am also in the market to upgrade my 2 yr old LCD and may go with a 3D LED depending on costs. So with 2 people looking, we'll be sure to find the best deal.

Oh, and when you go to the big box stores, their tv's will have the backlight set to max, color set high, brightness set high etc... to give it a more vibrant picture.

Also, consider your housing when choosing a tv. Your lighting conditions inside will play a role in determining LCD or plasma.

When you pick the one you want check out the online retailers like Amazon, buy.com, etc for a better price.

When my girlfriend wanted a new tv she picked out a samsung LED from best buy that was $1400 plus tax, I found the exact same tv on amazon for $892 with no tax and free shipping... Saved her almost $600

[quote name='BengalRep85-9' timestamp='1309206158' post='998815']
When you pick the one you want check out the online retailers like Amazon, buy.com, etc for a better price.

When my girlfriend wanted a new tv she picked out a samsung LED from best buy that was $1400 plus tax, I found the exact same tv on amazon for $892 with no tax and free shipping... Saved her almost $600
[/quote]

Great advice. Find the model # you want in the box stores and buy from Amazon. They typically have the best price and their delivery is great. Delivery guys will even set your tv up for you if you want. I will never buy a tv at a brick n mortar store anymore.

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1309208087' post='998818']
I got a 58" 1080P Samsung Plasma just before x-mas for under $1000. Love it.

I'm not an LCD fan, just don't look as good to my eyes. Either is fine though. True LED is still too expensive for me. [b]I'll never buy 3D unless that's all they make in the future.[/b]
[/quote]
I personally don't see 3D taking off like most of the electronic companies had hoped until they eliminate the need for glasses. They're just uncomfortable and annoying.

[quote name='BengalRep85-9' timestamp='1309209073' post='998821']
I personally don't see 3D taking off like most of the electronic companies had hoped until they eliminate the need for glasses. They're just uncomfortable and annoying.
[/quote]

I agree. But they have already improved on the design such that some 3d glasses look like simple eyeglasses, but a bit bulkier. I imagine in the next few years the technology will be acceptable to the masses.

[/quote]

It's more than the glasses for me... the picture isn't crisp and it hurts my eyes/head after a while.

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1309211526' post='998832']
It's more than the glasses for me... the picture isn't crisp and it hurts my eyes/head after a while.
[/quote]
The one at Best Buy today was amazingly sharp. Best picture I've seen in a while. Didn't write down the model.

[quote name='Ben' timestamp='1309232191' post='998876']
I am really starting to lean towards Plasma now, even though they are heavier and use a bit more power. Split between lg, Samsung and Panasonic.
[/quote]

yeah, if I'm ever cold I just go near the plasma... it pumps out some heat

1/2 :ph34r:

I have bought my HT projector and two TVs from HH Gregg and done tons of comparative shopping. Don't go by HH Gregg's listed price. You can talk them down big time. Amazon, Newegg, Tiger Direct couldn't come within $100 of what I paid at HH Gregg.

[quote]BeaverHunter, plasmas are nice enough but with the higher contrast ratios on LCD's these days and ridiculous contrast ratios on LED's.....Plasma's are going by the wayside. I think less and less companies are even making plasmas these days. Panasonic, Samsung and LG will continue to make them but not many others.

I have a Samsung 46" LCD 240hz that has 150,000:1 contrast ratio.......I honestly can't tell the blacks are not as black and whites not as white as a plasma at all. It's fantastic........and I bought it 2 yrs ago almost so I imagine the technology has gotten that much better since.

LG, Samsung and Sony. I never deviate from those 3 makers. Sharp is ok too but I've found the other 3 to be the best.

I am also in the market to upgrade my 2 yr old LCD and may go with a 3D LED depending on costs. So with 2 people looking, we'll be sure to find the best deal. [/quote]

I like LED, but Bang for the buck is Plasma. Granted you can get a 25,000,000:1 contrast ratio for 4k in a LED or get a 5,000,000:1 contrast ration for a Plasma for under 1k both 3D and the Plasma would be over twice as fast transfer. If money wasn't an issue I'd go the LED route, but I really like the way Plasmas look.

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' timestamp='1309264957' post='998900']
I have bought my HT projector and two TVs from HH Gregg and done tons of comparative shopping. Don't go by HH Gregg's listed price. You can talk them down big time. Amazon, Newegg, Tiger Direct couldn't come within $100 of what I paid at HH Gregg.

I like LED, but Bang for the buck is Plasma. Granted you can get a 25,000,000:1 contrast ratio for 4k in a LED or get a 5,000,000:1 contrast ration for a Plasma for under 1k both 3D and the Plasma would be over twice as fast transfer. If money wasn't an issue I'd go the LED route, but I really like the way Plasmas look.
[/quote]

I don't think it's discernible to the human eye after you get above 100,000:1 contrast.....think I read that on CNET but we all have our preferences. My tv hangs above my fireplace so I'm more comfortable putting up a 30 lbs tv as opposed to a 50 or 60 lbs plasma and I like the brightness of the LCD. I will more than likely get an LED for my next tv as they're wonderfully vibrant in color. I guess that's what draws me and with plasma I don't feel I get that.

[/quote]

I haven't really kept up with the 3D technology, and have only seen one movie in 3D. So why do I need a special TV for 3D if I need glasses too?

How different is it from the old fashioned red/blue 3D technology?

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1309295451' post='998965']
I haven't really kept up with the 3D technology, and have only seen one movie in 3D. So why do I need a special TV for 3D if I need glasses too?

How different is it from the old fashioned red/blue 3D technology?
[/quote]
I believe most 3D tv's use the active shutter glasses. Could be wrong about that though.

wiki explains it pretty well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_crystal_shutter_glasses

• 3 months later...
I never got around to buying a new tv back in june. But am starting to look a bit harder now.

Anyone have any opinions on this?

[url="http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=3353276"]http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=3353276[/url]

Archived