Bengals offer ticket deal

The people buying tickets now likely aren't new customers, they're likely people that had season tickets last year and already know what the game day experience is like. Getting them to the stadium doesn't show them anything new.

IMO, the season ticket holder base has a gaping wound and the team needs to be in damage control mode. Getting 1,000 new season ticket holders from this promotion doesn't really help if you lose another 3,000 next year. If you only focus on this years problem and have no long term vision, you lose more in the end.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1318275472' post='1043429']

Poisoned fanbase and a city full of bandwagon fans.

Some people are more worried about MB getting their money than the enjoyment
they get out of this team.
[/quote]
yeah, it has nothing to do with a 9% unemployment rate, significant increase in fuel and food prices and the general consensus that we are heading into another recession. Poisoned fanbase? Whose fault is it that the fanbase is poisoned? It certainly had nothing to do with the team that some picked as a sleeper Superbowl team going 4-12 last year does it? Nothing to do with the franchise QB taking his football and going home does it? You act like its the fan's fault the organization has been shit and pretty much a laughing stock for most of the past 21 years. Its even gotten worse because now we are being utterly ignored.

Here is a little quiz? Who is most likely to be a NEW buyer of season tickets? You see, every organization will have to replace some of their season tickets every year. Old age, moving on, money problems etc.. So who are the most likely buyers? My guess is guys in their mid 20s to mid 40s. So ask yourself this question, what have the Bengals done in the last 20 years to make these guys want to be season ticket holders?

You see, the last 20 years do MATTER. If you are a 35 year old with some spare money, there is no reason to be a big fan. The team has sucked since you were 15, teased you a bit in you hit 30, then laid a complete fucking egg last year. Why do you expect these people to plop down $1400 for 2 seats when they only know the Bengals to be a back of the pack, embarrassing , poorly run, franchise of last resort that has only had 1 true playoff caliber team in 20 years? That would be like being a fan of the French Army.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1318274984' post='1043424']

They had trouble selling out some games in 2009 while sweeping and winning the division.
[/quote]
That team had an easy schedule and was not very good. Everyone knew they had no chance in the playoffs and Carson was boring. You act like they were kicking ass and taking names in December and that was far from the truth. Also, Chris Henry's death once again brought unnecessary unwanted attention to the club. We may have won the division but letting the Jets and Rex Ryan Ass Rape us the last game of the season was embarrassing and pretty much set the tone for the next weekend.

Kenneth, I called and got a discount and my buddy called and got his for free even though we were both long term customers. I guess it just depends on who you talk to. Oh well, I'm glad to pay when I can (even though I have only watched one game live from start to finish this season) and support Graham Harrell and his colleagues.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1318294589' post='1043577']
yeah, it has nothing to do with a 9% unemployment rate, significant increase in fuel and food prices and the general consensus that we are heading into another recession. Poisoned fanbase? Whose fault is it that the fanbase is poisoned? It certainly had nothing to do with the team that some picked as a sleeper Superbowl team going 4-12 last year does it? Nothing to do with the franchise QB taking his football and going home does it? You act like its the fan's fault the organization has been shit and pretty much a laughing stock for most of the past 21 years. Its even gotten worse because now we are being utterly ignored.

Here is a little quiz? Who is most likely to be a NEW buyer of season tickets? You see, every organization will have to replace some of their season tickets every year. Old age, moving on, money problems etc.. So who are the most likely buyers? My guess is guys in their mid 20s to mid 40s. So ask yourself this question, what have the Bengals done in the last 20 years to make these guys want to be season ticket holders?

You see, the last 20 years do MATTER. If you are a 35 year old with some spare money, there is no reason to be a big fan. The team has sucked since you were 15, teased you a bit in you hit 30, then laid a complete fucking egg last year. Why do you expect these people to plop down $1400 for 2 seats when they only know the Bengals to be a back of the pack, embarrassing , poorly run, franchise of last resort that has only had 1 true playoff caliber team in 20 years? That would be like being a fan of the French Army.
[/quote]

2 division titles in the past 6 seasons.
That's one more than Baltimore has won in that span.
I know, I know. The Bengals haven't won a Playoff game, blah blah.
They have only won 5 in their History. That didn't stop people from
getting on a waiting list prior to the 2008 season though did it?

And MB is a lightning rod. I'm not going to defend him. What's the sense?

The fact is a lot of people have a problem giving him their money.
They'd rather keep it rather than watch the Bengals play. I've seen
as much from some people here that can afford it. I've seen people
from other boards saying "people that go to games are the problem."
And other shit like that.

I just look at it like if I enjoy something and can afford it, I spend my money on it.

Far too many Bengals fans think they have to make some sort of statement by
not being a fan. I saw a post from a guy here that claims to have been a season
ticket holder since way back, say that he dropped his tickets last season and
won't get them again until the team fields a consistent winner. I think that's pathetic.

If you're a fan, be a fan. It's that simple. Playing a victim and bitching and moaning
all the time over something you're supposed to enjoy is the fans fault. No one elses.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1318295321' post='1043581']
That team had an easy schedule and was not very good. Everyone knew they had no chance in the playoffs and Carson was boring. You act like they were kicking ass and taking names in December and that was far from the truth. Also, Chris Henry's death once again brought unnecessary unwanted attention to the club. We may have won the division but letting the Jets and Rex Ryan Ass Rape us the last game of the season was embarrassing and pretty much set the tone for the next weekend.
[/quote]

I love how you say shit about winning and going to the Playoffs in one breath.
Then discount the Bengals sweeping their division and making the Playoffs in the next breath.

[b]TICKET OFFER:[/b] The Bengals, [b][size=5]along with sponsors Gold Star Chili and Pepsi[/size][/b], are offering special ticket packages for this week's home game against Indianapolis.

Fans who purchase four or more $65 tickets in advance of gameday through the Bengals ticket office will receive $65 worth of Bengals Bucks good for food and drinks at concession stands. For more information call (513) 621-8383.

The Bengals have not sold out their last six home games, including two this season. Their last home sellout was Nov. 8 of last year for a Monday Night Football game against Pittsburgh.

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20111010/SPT02/110110327/"]http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20111010/SPT02/110110327/[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1318296152' post='1043588']

Then discount the Bengals sweeping their division and making the Playoffs in the next breath.
[/quote]
That team finished like a beat down dog. They barely beat a HORRIBLE Kansas City team the second to last week of the season to limp into the playoffs and anyone who was at that game saw a completely disinterested Bengals sideline the entire game.

There may be a few people who wont give Mike Brown money but the majority of fans just want to see a [b]CONSISTENT [/b] competitive team with [b]WAY LESS drama[/b]. Everytime this team looks like it is turning the corner, they lay an egg.

It happened in 1996 when Coslet took over mid season and the team finished 6-2 raising our expectations only to start of 1997 1-7. The next 5 years we never won more than 6 games.

Happened again in 2005 when we had a legitimate playoff team. 2006 was supposed to be our year but Odell and Chris Henry turned us into a laughing stock with their off field issues and the team collapsed down the stretch losing 3 in a row.

2007 was over after we lost to the Arizona Cardinals at home in mid November to drop to 3-7. Most people forget just how bad that 2007 team was.

2008 was the lost season with Fitz. At one point we were 1-11-1

2009 was what I call the head fake season. We went 9-3 sweeping the division only to collapse down the stretch after Henry died. Offense was horrible. Do you think anyone besides you really thinks sweeping the division is a great accomplishment when we finished off that great accomplishment being OWNED like a prison bitch by Rex Ryan and the Jets at the end? Really?

2010 was the TOCHO Show. The season was an epic highly publicized in your face disaster.

2010 off season was an epic nightmare with our Once Savior Golden Boy basically calling it quits in an embarrassing manner leaving the team high and dry. Chad whines his way off the reservation (thank god) but the damage is done.

BTW, why do you keep comparing us to Baltimore? Baltiwhore has made the playoffs 7 times in 12 years to include a Superbowl victory. Who fucking cares about winning the division in a 4 team division? Baltiwhore has gone 9-6 in the playoffs the last 12 years, we are 0-2. Baltimore has an identity: Its dominant Defense. Like it or not our identity prior to this season has been our arrest record and the entertainer known as Chad Ochocinco.

Stop with the division title nonsense. They amounted to nothing and are completely overshadowed by all of the other bullshit that has happened during Marvin's tenure.

If you asked just about every fan to talk about Marvin's tenure as head coach I doubt a single one of them, besides you, mentions the two division titles or the awesome sweep of the division in 2009. They will talk about lack of discipline, Carson Palmer quitting, Chad leaving and being an ass, Chris Henry dying, TO being a mistake, never winning a playoff game, etc...

Its not about Mike Brown, its about horrible inconsistent play, off field drama, and lack of success. Winning playoff games is how a team is measured in the NFL whether you like it or not. Just making the playoffs every few years is not the bar most teams set unless they are Cleveland, Houston, Kansas City and Detroit.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1318345465' post='1043731']
This thread is fucking depressing.
[/quote]
Its reality. Hopefully, and the signs are good, the reality and perception of this team can be changed this year. If we start winning and make this season, a season most had us as a bottom 30 (31st or 32nd in some polls), things can change. This organization needs a good 2 maybe 3 year run at being talked about and competitive to get the perception changed.

I does not take much. Last year Detroit won its final 4 games, two against division rivals to include Green Bay to final get the city buzzing. Calvin Johnson emerged as a true superstar and the games were exciting. Mind you this is the Detroit Lions. The big difference between us and Detroit is the Lions just plain sucked forever. They never teased their fans, had almost no drama, AND GOT RID OF Matt Millen. When your GM is the only person in the organization talked about, its easy to fix. There were no player issues anyone remembered because they just didn't have anyone worth talking about (Chad, TO, Chris Henry, Carson).

When they started to play well, everyone is like, HOLY SHIT, the Lions don't suck. I don't know is we can pull off the same thing. Many feel it is just a matter of time before they fall on their faces again. It can all blow up tomorrow if Jerome is indicted on MAJOR drug charges, CED gets suspended and Adam Jones, in turned, suspended indefinitely for his 27th infraction. Not saying its right, just saying our team could be down 3 players in one day. Like it or not, that is our reality.

Are the Bengals practicing adaptive-pricing by offering incentives with their ticket deals ?

[url="http://hbr.org/2011/01/ditch-the-discounts/ar/1"]http://hbr.org/2011/01/ditch-the-discounts/ar/1[/url]
[quote] ...deep discounts devalue a product or service, limiting companies’ ability to raise prices as the economy improves.

By using adaptive pricing, companies can adjust a product’s attributes to better appeal to customers’ sense of value without necessarily dropping the price.[/quote]

If the Bengal's are using this adaptive-pricing is it to be presumed that just as easily as they reduce ticket pricing by offering incentives (roughly 25% of ticket cost), they can increase ticket cost by the same amount when the team is doing better ? Will people still demand the same pricing they received under the discount era ? or will they swallow the price increase without argument ?

[quote name='Numbers' timestamp='1318347372' post='1043753']
Are the Bengals practicing adaptive-pricing by offering incentives with their ticket deals ?

[url="http://hbr.org/2011/01/ditch-the-discounts/ar/1"]http://hbr.org/2011/...-discounts/ar/1[/url]

If the Bengal's are using this adaptive-pricing is it to be presumed that just as easily as they reduce ticket pricing by offering incentives (roughly 25% of ticket cost), they can increase ticket cost by the same amount when the team is doing better ? Will people still demand the same pricing they received under the discount era ? or will they swallow the price increase without argument ?
[/quote]

I think they'll demand the discount if it happens over a period of time. Reds games resemble this. People are used to rock bottom price seats dating back to the Riverfront top 6 days. I think the Reds will always have to include a signficantly reduced option in comparison to their other tickets or people will lose interest in going.

I also don't think the Reds will be in a position to divorce themselves from some of the promotions they do that are adaptive discounts.

Getting back to the point made by Gator. The best deal for the Bengals is to sell as many season tickets as they can. However, if you begin cutting into those perks of getting season tickets then it's less attractive and harder to build it back up.

The Bengals over the years have slowly cut little by little into the perks of a season ticket holder. You have to pay for a COA, you have purchase preseason games. Meanwhile there are ticket packs that now be combo and sometimes gaurantee same seats and right to playoff games. Now they get Bengal bucks to spend.

Right now, unless you have a premium seat or absolutely love your location. I would not be buying season tickets.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1318296152' post='1043588']

[/quote]

like every goal the antis set up, making the playoffs only matters until we achieve it - then it is of no value relative to some new goalpost.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1318346605' post='1043746']
Its reality. Hopefully, and the signs are good, the reality and perception of this team can be changed this year. If we start winning and make this season, a season most had us as a bottom 30 (31st or 32nd in some polls), things can change. This organization needs a good 2 maybe 3 year run at being talked about and competitive to get the perception changed.

I does not take much. Last year Detroit won its final 4 games, two against division rivals to include Green Bay to final get the city buzzing. Calvin Johnson emerged as a true superstar and the games were exciting. Mind you this is the Detroit Lions. The big difference between us and Detroit is the Lions just plain sucked forever. They never teased their fans, had almost no drama, AND GOT RID OF Matt Millen. When your GM is the only person in the organization talked about, its easy to fix. There were no player issues anyone remembered because they just didn't have anyone worth talking about (Chad, TO, Chris Henry, Carson).

When they started to play well, everyone is like, HOLY SHIT, the Lions don't suck. I don't know is we can pull off the same thing. Many feel it is just a matter of time before they fall on their faces again. It can all blow up tomorrow if Jerome is indicted on MAJOR drug charges, CED gets suspended and Adam Jones, in turned, suspended indefinitely for his 27th infraction. Not saying its right, just saying our team could be down 3 players in one day. Like it or not, that is our reality.
[/quote]

We are starting to play well [b]now[/b], and to you we STILL suck. Until we hit some random unobtainable goal. Winning the Division meant nothing. What crap.

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1318349512' post='1043779']

We are starting to play well [b]now[/b], and to you we STILL suck. Until we hit some random unobtainable goal. Winning the Division meant nothing. What crap.
[/quote]

No to me, the perception of the entire oranization still sucks, the team is pretty decent. If you asked anyone not a Bengal fan what they thought of the Bengals organization you would be told they are a basketcase. That is different that being hated for being good.

So you consider it a unobtainable goal to put together back to back playoff calibre seasons without the story revolving around suspensions, arrests, bitching, wanting out, untimely deaths, drug raids, gun charges, substance abuse, finger pointing, and utter collapse? This team has not played 2 seasons in a row without blowing up in embarrassing fashion.

Archived