Bengals softening stance on Palmer? Raiders pushing ‘hard’ for Palmer trade

[quote name='AZBengal' timestamp='1318906544' post='1047028']
It doesn't benefit this team at all to trade Palmer.

Any small benefit we would gain from the middle round draft pick we wold get for him (no better than 3rd or 4th round) would be more than offset by the long-term damage of giving in to players just because they want to play for a different team. The best thing this team could do is let Carson sit and go prove you can be an even better team without him. Then the organization looks good, and Palmer just looks stupid.

For an organization that needs to restore its reputation, that's the best way to do it. We'll be winning games and Carson Palmer and whatever medicore draft pick we would have gotten for him will both be long-forgotten distant memories. Every once in a while someone will remember him and think what an idiot he was.
[/quote]

Nah, the Lions went to the playoffs the year after Barry Sanders. I think he may still be remembered, despite being a quitter pussy.

Oldcat, what did I say that was wrong, even Marvin said soP ran things that way.

[quote name='beastmaster' timestamp='1318905359' post='1047006']

Wow that's beyond delusional
[/quote]

You really think Palmer makes that tackle? Only time I remember Palmer trying to tackle someone was when Polomaulu or however he
spells it trucked him into the end zone after Palmer threw it into triple coverage.

Has Palmer ever ran up and down the sideline jacking up his team? Ever?

I'm not saying I think Palmer was shit, I'm saying Dalton means more at QB to this team than Palmer ever would have.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1318907577' post='1047039']
[/quote]

That is not necessary to be a good QB. Manning, Montana, Brady... none of them do that. They get dudes to follow them by being good QB's. That is why people are following Dalton, cause he's good.

Carson was good too in his time, he was a leader and people followed him. I like how yall forget about everything he did for this team.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1318907716' post='1047041']
Letting Palmer walk would be letting the inmates run the asylum, wouldn't it?
[/quote]

No, it would be like getting rid of a distraction and getting a pick or a player.

Whether we trade him to Oakland or not is a win win in my opinion.

Win if you trade him for a variety of reasons (gets rid of the distraction, draft picks, money, etc).

Win if you dont because it makes Oaklands chances of making the playoffs pretty slim and could essentially knock out a contender.

[quote name='beastmaster' timestamp='1318907215' post='1047033']
mike brown is a dickhead and you all know it. he's letting a grudge hurt the overall well-being of the team. a good owner would know when they've made their point and try to better the overall situation.
[/quote]

If you let a player call the shots and get away with it, another player will try the same if things don't go his way. That's how coaches/owners lose teams. So, instead of letting the players run shit, how about they be kept in check and let the guys who want to be here win 4 of their first 6 games?

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1318907766' post='1047042']

That is not necessary to be a good QB. Manning, Montana, Brady... none of them do that. They get dudes to follow them by being good QB's. That is why people are following Dalton, cause he's good.

Carson was good too in his time, he was a leader and people followed him. I like how yall forget about everything he did for this team.

No, it would be like getting rid of a distraction and getting a pick or a player.
[/quote]

I really doubt CP is distracting anyone in that locker room. The only one he's distracting is MB haters, CP supporters, or both.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1318907928' post='1047043']

Win if you dont because it makes Oaklands chances of making the playoffs pretty slim and could essentially knock out a contender.
[/quote]

A very overlooked consideration in all of this.

If they are offering a first or more though, it would be very hard to turn down, regardless of who was offering it.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1318907577' post='1047039']
You really think Palmer makes that tackle? Only time I remember Palmer trying to tackle someone was when Polomaulu or however he
spells it trucked him into the end zone after Palmer threw it into triple coverage.

I'm not saying I think Palmer was shit, I'm saying Dalton means more at QB to this team than Palmer ever would have.
[/quote]

It's nice that Dalton actually wants to be here. I'll give you that.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1318907971' post='1047045']
If you let a player call the shots and get away with it, another player will try the same if things don't go his way. That's how coaches/owners lose teams. So, instead of letting the players run shit, how about they be kept in check and let the guys who want to be here win 4 of their first 6 games?
[/quote]
[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1318907716' post='1047041']
Letting Palmer walk would be letting the inmates run the asylum, wouldn't it?
[/quote]

If your owner doesn't suck then players will actually want to play there! It's an amazing concept I realize. It's not like every other NFL city is nicer than Cincinnati. Sure this town is kinda a dump but it's not like the Vikings or the Chiefs have nicer towns. You couldn't pay me to step foot in Pittsburgh. Plenty of NFL cities are shitty places to live but the owner and the environment that they foster plays a huge role in how players feel about staying in one spot. And of course it has a lot of do with attracting free agents. But this is ridiculous we all know this is completely about mike brown being butthurt that his golden boy franchise quarterback spurned him. It's a distraction to the team and it's going to continue to hurt the team until they move him. Although I think we can all agree that the majority of the damage has been done.

[quote name='beastmaster' timestamp='1318909099' post='1047061']

If your owner doesn't suck then players will actually want to play there! It's an amazing concept I realize. It's not like every other NFL city is nicer than Cincinnati. Sure this town is kinda a dump but it's not like the Vikings or the Chiefs have nicer towns. You couldn't pay me to step foot in Pittsburgh. Plenty of NFL cities are shitty places to live but the owner and the environment that they foster plays a huge role in how players feel about staying in one spot. And of course it has a lot of do with attracting free agents. But this is ridiculous we all know this is completely about mike brown being butthurt that his golden boy franchise quarterback spurned him. It's a distraction to the team and it's going to continue to hurt the team until they move him. Although I think we can all agree that the majority of the damage has been done.
[/quote]

How is it hurting the team? They're 4-2.

[quote name='beastmaster' timestamp='1318909185' post='1047063']
what really tickles me is this bullshit about honoring your contract. NFL owners can shred those contracts anytime they want and do so all the time. honoring a contract should apply to players and owners.
[/quote]

Then the league becomes the NBA and half the league is broke from paying one year wonders 10 million a year 5 years after they're out of the league.

[quote name='beastmaster' timestamp='1318909099' post='1047061']

If your owner doesn't suck then players will actually want to play there! It's an amazing concept I realize. It's not like every other NFL city is nicer than Cincinnati. Sure this town is kinda a dump but it's not like the Vikings or the Chiefs have nicer towns. You couldn't pay me to step foot in Pittsburgh. Plenty of NFL cities are shitty places to live but the owner and the environment that they foster plays a huge role in how players feel about staying in one spot. And of course it has a lot of do with attracting free agents. But this is ridiculous we all know this is completely about mike brown being butthurt that his golden boy franchise quarterback spurned him. [b]It's a distraction to the team and it's going to continue to hurt the team until they move him. Although I think we can all agree that the majority of the damage has been done.[/b]
[b][/quote][/b]

I really don't think the team cares anymore.. It doesn't appear to me or just about anyone else that this Palmer situation is hurting the team. If anything it has galvanized (I've never used that word) the team and brought them closer together.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1318909250' post='1047065']
How is it hurting the team? They're 4-2.
[/quote]

First of all, they're 4-2 so far in the cake schedule. Wins are wins and that's wonderful that they've exceeded expectations but there's no cause to jump for joy until they win some more divisional games and secure a playoff spot and win a playoff game or two. Our fanbase gets hard over beating teams that they should beat.

And it's hurting the team because other players see the environment here and see how the owner-player interactions are. Who in their right mind would want to come here on their own accord?

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1318907285' post='1047035']

Nah, the Lions went to the playoffs the year after Barry Sanders. I think he may still be remembered, despite being a quitter pussy.

Oldcat, what did I say that was wrong, even Marvin said soP ran things that way.
[/quote]

One post, poor Carson was denied the line he so desparately needed and MB denied until CP snapped. Next post, MB is at fault for doing everything CP asked him to.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1318909344' post='1047067']
Then the league becomes the NBA and half the league is broke from paying one year wonders 10 million a year 5 years after they're out of the league.
[/quote]

Yeah, you don't want to take away the precious owners ability to bend players over and tear up their contracts, nobody wants to see the workers getting $$$. Bosses all the way.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1318909344' post='1047067']
[/quote]

That might be one of the downsides to guaranteed contracts but acting like Palmer is a douche for not "honoring" his contract is just out of line.

[quote name='beastmaster' timestamp='1318909670' post='1047072']

First of all, they're 4-2 so far in the cake schedule. Wins are wins and that's wonderful that they've exceeded expectations but there's no cause to jump for joy until they win some more divisional games and secure a playoff spot and win a playoff game or two. Our fanbase gets hard over beating teams that they should beat.

And it's hurting the team because other players see the environment here and see how the owner-player interactions are. Who in their right mind would want to come here on their own accord?
[/quote]

Good think the half dozen or so FAs we get here annually are all crazy. I like em that way.

[quote name='beastmaster' timestamp='1318909838' post='1047075']

That might be one of the downsides to guaranteed contracts but acting like Palmer is a douche for not "honoring" his contract is just out of line.
[/quote]

He's allowed to not play. He's just not allowed to play for another NFL team.

[/quote]

You say they exceeded expectations but then go on and say they beat teams they're supposed to beat.

What about guys like Whitworth and Hall who just signed extensions? They don't seem like they have an issue with the owner.

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1318909741' post='1047073']

[b]One post, poor Carson was denied the line he so desparately needed and MB denied until CP snapped[/b]. Next post, MB is at fault for doing everything CP asked him to.
[/quote]

I never said that was the reason Carson wanted out. To me Carson was mad that the Bengals have no accountability. All of the law breakers, shitty Marvin getting an extension, Brat being kept way too long, letting Ocho run amok, bringing Henry back despite the coach openly thinking that is a bad idea... etc. Poorly run team, I don't blame him for wanting to leave.

[/quote]

Considering that the team with Carson and Chad used to annually drop a couple of those games might have something to do with it.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1318909985' post='1047078']
You say they exceeded expectations but then go on and say they beat teams they're supposed to beat.

What about guys like Whitworth and Hall who just signed extensions? They don't seem like they have an issue with the owner.
[/quote]

Those dudes didn't have the financial leverage to do anything. Signing an extension now versus playing a season in the NFL before you are a free agent = a bad idea.

Archived