Bengals softening stance on Palmer? Raiders pushing ‘hard’ for Palmer trade

[quote name='Le Tigre' timestamp='1318892588' post='1046919']
Forget about it, Chief...you will not get anywhere. No where has there been the slightest indication that ANY team has even approached MB about a trade. Nothing confirmed, other than some whimsical musings of a squawking head.

And for the billionth time: what draft picks are going to be had now that can't be had after the end of the season? And, even if there were, what good are they going to do us in October of 2011 on the football field?

This is crazy. This will all be over after tomorrow. Then we can quit talking about this unperson until the proper time comes--which is after the season.
[/quote]

Both the Redskins and Raiders are in position to make the playoffs and need QB help so there are 2 teams who may be desperate now for a QB but not in the offseason.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1318893155' post='1046926']

Both the Redskins and Raiders are in position to make the playoffs and need QB help so there are 2 teams who may be desperate now for a QB but not in the offseason.
[/quote]

They may well be...but have they actually attempted to make those interests known?

[quote name='Phatcat' timestamp='1318885540' post='1046879']
Sorry Oldcat... I didnt see that discussion. My bad.

and 1181 I get that. He can't just stroll in.... but it becomes a bigger issue... Mike Brown wants it to go away but he doesn't hold the cards. Carson does. Does he choose to play them? I have no idea....

But carry on with the debate. I added my thoughts on what I think the biggest issue is.
[/quote]

The NFL can't refuse to reinstate Palmer so that's a formality. He could have his agent fax notice to the league office and walk into PBS 5 minutes later. The Bengals would stall til they get confirmation from the league that he filed for reinstatement but the NFL can't forbid him from fulfilling his contract just as they can't force him to play if he doesn't want to. The NFL doesn't have any right to review the circumstances of his return, just as Chris Johnson was available immediately when his new deal was approved.

The trade deadline is Tuesday. There's no reason to expect it but Carson could show up Wednesday leaving the team with the option of taking him back or releasing him. The team can get a two week roster exemption for him but they can't prevent him from practicing and attending meetings. The Titans tried that with Steve McNair when they were trying to trade him and lost a grievance over it. IMO the team would be better off ending the Palmer drama sooner rather than later. If a team makes a good offer now, go ahead and take it. If nobody offers a first round pick or equivalent, then wait til the offseason and hope Palmer doesn't show up.

If Palmer does show after Wednesday, the team would probably have to put the best face on it they could and pretend to welcome him back while fining him the max. They can't suspend him for conduct detrimental to the team, the remedy is 30,000 dollars per day of team activities missed. Offdays such as Tuesday don't count. Palmer could get up to 9 game checks this season minus fines if the team uses the two week roster exemption.

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1318897401' post='1046965']

The NFL can't refuse to reinstate Palmer so that's a formality. He could have his agent fax notice to the league office and walk into PBS 5 minutes later. The Bengals would stall til they get confirmation from the league that he filed for reinstatement but the NFL can't forbid him from fulfilling his contract just as they can't force him to play if he doesn't want to. The NFL doesn't have any right to review the circumstances of his return, just as Chris Johnson was available immediately when his new deal was approved.

The trade deadline is Tuesday. There's no reason to expect it but Carson could show up Wednesday leaving the team with the option of taking him back or releasing him. The team can get a two week roster exemption for him but they can't prevent him from practicing and attending meetings. The Titans tried that with Steve McNair when they were trying to trade him and lost a grievance over it. IMO the team would be better off ending the Palmer drama sooner rather than later. If a team makes a good offer now, go ahead and take it. If nobody offers a first round pick or equivalent, then wait til the offseason and hope Palmer doesn't show up.

If Palmer does show after Wednesday, the team would probably have to put the best face on it they could and pretend to welcome him back while fining him the max. [b]They can't suspend him for conduct detrimental to the team,[/b] the remedy is 30,000 dollars per day of team activities missed. Offdays such as Tuesday don't count. Palmer could get up to 9 game checks this season minus fines if the team uses the two week roster exemption.
[/quote]

Can you show me proof of this?

[quote name='BengalBacker' timestamp='1318876443' post='1046773']
I honestly don't think we'd have four wins with Palmer. Dalton is a better QB for this team.
[/quote]

I believe the same. Does CP make that tackle after the INT a couple weeks ago to save 4 points? Hell no.

Does Palmer scramble and dive for a first down? No way.

Does Palmer hold onto the ball way too long and get his ass kicked? Yeah, probably.

Palmer throws a prettier ball, but Dalton gets the damn thing where it needs to be.

Dalton > Palmer

[quote name='fredtoast' timestamp='1318887624' post='1046893']

But Bengal fans will continue to be miserable because our owner won't do what is best for the team.

It is okay if you would rather the Bengals be a weaker team than let carson play, but personally I'd like to win more games. I don't give a shit about fucking over Carson Palmer just to make Mike Brown happy. I'd rather win.[/quote]

Bro, you sure are full of shit a lot when it comes to the QUITTER. From what I remember, we seem to be winning now, which we weren't with the QUITTER, the locker room seems to be better without the QUITTER, and there is more leadership from the QB position without the QUITTER. If we trade the QUITTER tomorrow, cool, if we wait to the offseason, cool. But don't get it twisted, he's still a QUITTER, and every player I've talked to, both past and present, agrees.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1318883956' post='1046860']

Something golf. I don't know what that shit means, put it in basketball terms at least. Is that golfer you described good or shitty?
[/quote]
He has been ok here. He has a lifetime record of 46-51 with 2 pro bowl appearances. Tony Romo, the better number 9, has been a substantially better QB with 3 Pro-Bowls and a lifetime 41-25 record and a higher lifetime QB rating.

I would equate Palmer to a guy like Matt Hasselbeck. Steady player that might win you a few extra games but not a guy who could carry a team for any length of time. They have similar stat lines.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1318885537' post='1046878']
Alright, that's two more (USN and 8580) in the Carson sucks boat.

OneHeartBeat, keep count if you want, but there are plenty who think Carson is garbage.
[/quote]

I don't think he's garbage. He still has a lot left IMO. I believe that he sandbagged it last year. There was lots of talk that he could get released because his play didn't measure up to his salary. I think Palmer was hoping for that. I really do. I think that even more since he pulled his trade me or I'll retire BS. If there is any shred of truth to that, than I would take that personally if I was Mike and I would let him rot.

Now, that's just my theory as to why Mike is making this seem personal. He made throws and decisions last year that I couldn't believe I was seeing. Locking on to 1 reciever, throwing in to triple coverage. Things you don't see an 8 year vet do.

You can blame Mike for plenty but he's more loyal to bengals fans than CP will ever be or ever was.

[quote name='OneHeartBeat' timestamp='1318903418' post='1046989']
I don't think he's garbage. He still has a lot left IMO. I believe that he sandbagged it last year. There was lots of talk that he could get released because his play didn't measure up to his salary. I think Palmer was hoping for that. I really do. I think that even more since he pulled his trade me or I'll retire BS. If there is any shred of truth to that, than I would take that personally if I was Mike and I would let him rot.

Now, that's just my theory as to why Mike is making this seem personal. He made throws and decisions last year that I couldn't believe I was seeing. Locking on to 1 reciever, throwing in to triple coverage. Things you don't see an 8 year vet do.

You can blame Mike for plenty but he's more loyal to bengals fans than CP will ever be or ever was.
[/quote]

His final pass was confusing also, like he had already given up

[quote name='OneHeartBeat' timestamp='1318903418' post='1046989']
[/quote]

No shit, he's the effing owner. CP was an employee.

And LOL at CP mailing it in. I just saw a shell shocked dude who wasn't confident in the protection. That dude gave his all, he was just fed up.

IMO, there will be no trade.

This isn't personal for soP towards CP or he would be fining him. If fact, he's a bit simpathetic to why Carson isn't playing and is even leaving the door open.

Rather, soP is setting a precendent for all other players while putting CP's money in his family's pockets. Trading for a player now and/or a draft pick doesn't change the outcome of this season.

From soP's standpoint, waiting until the offseason benefits him more and provides more options.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1318901494' post='1046977']
I believe the same. Does CP make that tackle after the INT a couple weeks ago to save 4 points? Hell no.

Does Palmer scramble and dive for a first down? No way.

Does Palmer hold onto the ball way too long and get his ass kicked? Yeah, probably.

Palmer throws a prettier ball, but Dalton gets the damn thing where it needs to be.

Dalton > Palmer
[/quote]

Wow that's beyond delusional

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1318904480' post='1046997']

And LOL at CP mailing it in. I just saw a shell shocked dude who wasn't confident in the protection. That dude gave his all, he was just fed up.
[/quote]

Oh, bullshit. The only think CP ever wanted was targets. You think it was MB's idea to collect every FA WR we could find those last two years? 8 million dollars over those years for diddly. If Carson wanted a guard, he could have gotten several.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1318904480' post='1046997']

[/quote]

He gave his all?? Really?? Than where is he??

[quote name='Harley' timestamp='1318904786' post='1047001']
IMO, there will be no trade.

This isn't personal for soP towards CP or he would be fining him. If fact, he's a bit simpathetic to why Carson isn't playing and is even leaving the door open.

Rather, soP is setting a precendent for all other players while putting CP's money in his family's pockets. Trading for a player now and/or a draft pick doesn't change the outcome of this season.

From soP's standpoint, waiting until the offseason benefits him more and provides more options.
[/quote]

Agreed. There probably will not be a trade until the offseason, if ever. With draft picks as the likely compensation for trading Palmer, it doesn't makes sense for Brown to deal Palmer before he gets to see a benefit, which would be the 2012 season. Thus, Palmer sits without pay for a year and waits until the start of the next fiscal year when he can return and put his huge contract back on the books. Brown will then be forced to bite the bullet and trade him. At least Brown can argue that he made his point I guess.

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1318905690' post='1047011']

Oh, bullshit. The only think CP ever wanted was targets. You think it was MB's idea to collect every FA WR we could find those last two years? 8 million dollars over those years for diddly. If Carson wanted a guard, he could have gotten several.
[/quote]

soP let the inmates run the asylum. He is a weak minded owner.

It doesn't benefit this team at all to trade Palmer.

Any small benefit we would gain from the middle round draft pick we wold get for him (no better than 3rd or 4th round) would be more than offset by the long-term damage of giving in to players just because they want to play for a different team. The best thing this team could do is let Carson sit and go prove you can be an even better team without him. Then the organization looks good, and Palmer just looks stupid.

For an organization that needs to restore its reputation, that's the best way to do it. We'll be winning games and Carson Palmer and whatever medicore draft pick we would have gotten for him will both be long-forgotten distant memories. Every once in a while someone will remember him and think what an idiot he was.

Archived