The Good, Bad, and Ugly

I think Simpson this year is definitely proving he can be a number 2 wideout for us. Yeah he makes some mistakes but he is making the same mistakes in his first year starting that chad did in his 6th year starting. Makes no sense to give up on the guy now that he is producing after waiting for 3 years to get to this point.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1322104046' post='1066741']

There's the rub. People keep saying how Simpson is a #1 or a #2. Well that all depends who else is on the team. Look at the roster and tell me if you think Caldwell, Hawkins, Tate, or Whalen should be starting over Simpson. You can argue he is good enough to be starting. I'll argue he is only starting instead of being say a #3, because of the lack of depth and talent at the WR position right now.

I ask this in all seriousness, as a fan would you want the Bengals in the off season to tie up about 3-4 million dollars a year in Simpson when they get a younger guy with more potential, and more NFL years in him, for half that much? Think about that.
[/quote]

1) $3-4 million is probably a little on the high side. You can probably lock him up for under 3.

2) Your argument ignores one MAJOR issue. Learning Curve. Not every rookie WR comes in like AJ Green. You're suggesting a team that can do serious damage and be a serious contender next year take a step back by breaking in a rookie starting WR yet again. There's not a single WR in the draft who will come in as pro ready as Green was, and even he's making mistakes.

3) How much younger do you want to get? Simpson is 25, just entering his prime. Let's not talk like he's pushing 30 and we need to get younger.

Simpson has consistency issues at times, but I also think Gruden is still learning how to use him right (as well as other guys). There's no doubt in my mind that given the chance to work with Gruden and the rest of the guys in a full offseason, that Simpson would be a very good #2 if not borderline #1 caliber WR next year. There's absolutely no reason to set the offense back again with another starting rookie WR that has to learn on the fly.

Give them a full offseason of OTA's to work together, and Green/Simpson/Gresham/Shipley/Hawkins is going to be a hell of a group in 2012.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1322106106' post='1066751']

1) $3-4 million is probably a little on the high side. You can probably lock him up for under 3.

2) Your argument ignores one MAJOR issue. Learning Curve. Not every rookie WR comes in like AJ Green. You're suggesting a team that can do serious damage and be a serious contender next year take a step back by breaking in a rookie starting WR yet again. There's not a single WR in the draft who will come in as pro ready as Green was, and even he's making mistakes.

3) How much younger do you want to get? Simpson is 25, just entering his prime. Let's not talk like he's pushing 30 and we need to get younger.

Simpson has consistency issues at times, but I also think Gruden is still learning how to use him right (as well as other guys). There's no doubt in my mind that given the chance to work with Gruden and the rest of the guys in a full offseason, that Simpson would be a very good #2 if not borderline #1 caliber WR next year. There's absolutely no reason to set the offense back again with another starting rookie WR that has to learn on the fly.

Give them a full offseason of OTA's to work together, and Green/Simpson/Gresham/Shipley/Hawkins is going to be a hell of a group in 2012.
[/quote]

Agreed. No reason to give up on Simpson unless he's going to jail

[quote name='Elijah15' timestamp='1322083362' post='1066659']
Simpson is a beast,fuck yall. Atleast we dont have the brown's recievers...
[/quote]
So true. How does a team that has been picking in the top 10 almost every year have NO fucking offensive players???

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1322149293' post='1066833']

They did have Braylon Edwards, who did have some good years and I think went to a pro bowl.
[/quote]
Now there was a guy with a penchant for dropping CRUCIAL passes.

And let's not forget the motherfucking soulja!!!! SOULJA!
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I82BPA5QAaQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I82BPA5QAaQ[/url]

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1322105285' post='1066748']
I think Simpson this year is definitely proving he can be a number 2 wideout for us. Yeah he makes some mistakes but he is making the same mistakes in his first year starting that chad did in his 6th year starting. Makes no sense to give up on the guy now that he is producing after waiting for 3 years to get to this point.
[/quote]

Makes mistakes?

He disappears, or drops easy passes. Far too often for my comfort in him as our #2. If that doesn't change before the year is over, and consistently, I'm ready to move on.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1322106967' post='1066756']
With Green along side a guy like Michael Floyd, yeah I think they could do some serious damage from day one.
[/quote]

I'd love to get Floyd, but he'll be gone before we pick.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1322149585' post='1066838']
Now there was a guy with a penchant for dropping CRUCIAL passes.

And let's not forget the motherfucking soulja!!!! SOULJA!
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I82BPA5QAaQ[/media]
[/quote]

Every time I see Winslow I think of the story where he was at the NFL Combine, and Alex Stepanovich (ex-C, Buckeyes) and some other guys were on the elevator, and something funny happened, or Winslow was pissed about something... and Stepanovich said something like "I'm a mf-n "Soulja!" and everyone except Winslow was laughing.

I'm really not an OSU fan, but that cracked me up.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1322149000' post='1066831']
Josh Cribbs resents your remarks.
[/quote]
Cribbs is a good PR/KR returner. He is not a great offensive player or even close.

Winslow was a distraction, idiot, and you have to call his time in Cleveland a bust based on draft position.

Edwards was pretty good but he had a worse attitude than Chad did. Still, Edwards was their one good player.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1322157054' post='1066873']
Cribbs is a good PR/KR returner. He is not a great offensive player or even close.

Winslow was a distraction, idiot, and you have to call his time in Cleveland a bust based on draft position.

Edwards was pretty good but he had a worse attitude than Chad did. Still, Edwards was their one good player.
[/quote]
Oh, I was being sarcastic about Cribbs. He's been a terrible, failed experiment as a wideout for the most part.

Archived