Bengals FA Interest and Dealings

[quote name='unleashed' timestamp='1332011021' post='1107879']
i didn't check every page of this thread, but what does everyone think about bringing Wimbley in to strengthen our LB group?

I'm pretty sure he's the one that basically bumped Howard out of the rotation in Oakland. He'd probably come with a big price tag but it'd definitely be a huge upgrade at LB.
[/quote]

I wouldn't. I don't think he's a 4-3 guy and his best position is probably 3-4 rush LB.

I thought he was gonna be a beast as a player, and he really has done nothing more than be an occasional tease.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1332002151' post='1107740']

i'm not sure the livings signing eliminates the cowboys from taking a guard. both of their guards were a bit long in the tooth and a concern.

maybe our local beat reporter, tex, could weigh in? calling tex......
[/quote]

Hard to say - the Cowboys just did cut Kyle Kosier, their long-time starter at G... he was getting older (almost 35), and had battled injuries a bit.

They also this week signed McKenzy Bernardeau from Carolina, and he's a G-C type. So I'm not sure it precludes them from taking an OL, but they have a few young guys already that I think they're hoping work out, like Bill Nagy, Phil Costa and David Arkin. All told, between the 2 FA signings, the Cowboys spent over $30M in contract value.

I could see them still trying to bolster the OL, but given their recent FA pickups and young guys in the interior... and their pickup of Brandon Carr at CB for $50M+, which was also a need, I think it's more likely that they'll go after a front 7 guy on defense. Someone like Upshaw, Hightower, or more likely a DL like Coples, Cox, or Dontari Poe.

not sure if this just happened or is old news:

[url="https://twitter.com/#!/nfltrade_rumors"][b]NFL Trade Rumors[/b] [size=4]‏[/size] [s]@[/s][b]nfltrade_rumors[/b][/url]
[b]Bengals[/b] Sign CB Jason Allen [url="http://t.co/ZWwNT8vU"]http://p.ost.im/p/eXCyQc[/url] [url="https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23nfl"][s]#[/s][b]nfl[/b][/url]

been out all day. please update if there's been any new visits.

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Here's who they have reported interest in:[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]CB Aaron Ross, Giants. Visited Thursday. Stayed Overnight[/font][/color]

[s][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]DE Kendall Langford. VisitedThursday. [/font][/color][/s][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][s]Stayed Overnight. [/s]Signed by Rams on Saturday[/font][/color]

[s][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TE Kellen Davis. Visit TBA [/font][/color][/s][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Re-signed by bears on 2yr deal[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]OG Jacob Bell. Visited [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Thursday[/font][/color]

RB Ben-Jarvus Green-Ellis. Visiting Sunday-Monday

RB Michael Bush. Visiting Monday

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]CB Terrance Newman TBA[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]CB Tracey Porter. Visted Thursday. [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Stayed Overnight[/font][/color]

DT Andre Fluellen. Visited Thursday

CB Jason Allen. Visited Friday. [b]Signed by Bengals Saturday[/b]

DE Jamaal Anderson. Visited Friday

TE Joel Dreessen (possibly visiting 3/17 or 3/18, unconfirmed)

OG Travelle Wharton[b] Signed by Bengals Saturday[/b][/quote]

That's what he's played in the NFL, after spending most of college as a Safety. I don't care what you call him, as Zim has gone on record the last couple of years saying that basically corners have to play like safeties and vice-versa. Whatever. Definitely a solid pickup. I'd like to see us still get Porter and resign Reggie, but little by little...

[quote name='alleycat' timestamp='1332028074' post='1107984']
That's what he's played in the NFL, after spending most of college as a Safety. I don't care what you call him, as Zim has gone on record the last couple of years saying that basically corners have to play like safeties and vice-versa. Whatever. Definitely a solid pickup. I'd like to see us still get Porter and resign Reggie, but little by little...
[/quote]

personally, I see the NFL going the way of a 3CB/1S alignment in the secondary as passing games continue to evolve, with the safety position being like what the running back position has become on offense. Safeties won't be in big demand unless you're an elite player or a very good cover corner.

Might be why safeties aren't in high demand in free agency this year. While I'd like to see Reggie back, personally I'd love to see the Bengals lead the charge of a 3CB/1S with your corners being physical like safeties and your safety being able to cover well for a safety. Been pulling for it for a year.

[b] Bengals announce deal with former first-round pick Jason Allen[/b]

Posted by Evan Silva on March 17, 2012, 7:36 PM EDT

[size=3]The Cincinnati Bengals announced Saturday that they have agreed to terms with defensive back [url="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3670/jason-allen"]Jason Allen[/url].[/size]

[size=3]Allen was the 16th overall pick in the 2006 draft. While he’s come nowhere near meeting the expectations of his draft status, Allen has carved out a respectable, journeyman-type career and can make plays on the ball. He has ten interceptions over the past two seasons.[/size]

[size=3]Allen, 29, can also play both cornerback and safety. If free agent [url="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4164/reggie-nelson"]Reggie Nelson[/url] doesn’t return, it’s possible Allen would compete for the Bengals’ starting free safety job in training camp.[/size]

[size=3][url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/17/bengals-announce-deal-with-former-first-round-pick-jason-allen/"]http://profootballta...ck-jason-allen/[/url][/size]

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1332028330' post='1107985']

personally, I see the NFL going the way of a 3CB/1S alignment in the secondary as passing games continue to evolve, with the safety position being like what the running back position has become on offense. Safeties won't be in big demand unless you're an elite player or a very good cover corner.

Might be why safeties aren't in high demand in free agency this year. While I'd like to see Reggie back, personally I'd love to see the Bengals lead the charge of a 3CB/1S with your corners being physical like safeties and your safety being able to cover well for a safety. Been pulling for it for a year.
[/quote]
That makes a pretty good argument for taking Kirkpatrick if he's there when we pick then, no? I remember him laying some pretty brutal hits last year...

Well I haven't seen it mentioned on here but Mayock came out with his new positional rankings a day or so ago... And he now has Gilmore as his #2 rated CB.

[b] Quarterback[/b]
[font=arial, verdana, helvetica][size=4]
1. Andrew Luck, Stanford
2. Robert Griffin III, Baylor
3. Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M
4. Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State
5. Kirk Cousins, Michigan State[/size][/font]

[b] Running Back[/b]

[b] 1. Trent Richardson, Alabama[/b]
2. Doug Martin, Boise State
3. David Wilson, Virginia Tech
4. Lamar Miller, Miami (Fla.)
5. LaMichael James, Oregon[/size][/font]

[b] Wide Receiver[/b]
1. Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State
3. Michael Floyd, Notre Dame
2. Kendall Wright, Baylor
4. Stephen Hill, Georgia Tech
5. Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina[/size][/font]
[/size][/font]
[indent=1][/indent][font=arial, verdana, helvetica][size=4]
[/size][/font]

[b] Tight End[/b]
1. Coby Fleener, Stanford
2. Dwayne Allen, Clemson
3. Orson Charles, Georgia
4. Ladarius Green, Louisiana-Lafayette
5. James Hanna, Oklahoma[/size][/font]
[i]Rise:[/i] Fleener, Allen
[i]Fall:[/i] Charles
[i]Out:[/i] Deangelo Peterson, LSU[/size][/font]

[b] Offensive Tackle[/b]
1. Matt Kalil, USC
2. Riley Reiff, Iowa
3. Jonathan Martin, Stanford
4. Mike Adams, Ohio State
5. Cordy Glenn, Georgia[/size][/font]

[b] Guard[/b]
1. David DeCastro, Stanford
2. Kevin Zeitler, Wisconsin
3. Amini Silatolu, Midwestern State
4. Kelechi Osemele, Iowa State
5. Brandon Brooks, Miami (Ohio)[/size][/font]

[b] Center[/b]
1. Peter Konz, Wisconsin
2. Philip Blake, Baylor
3. Ben Jones, Georgia
4. David Molk, Michigan
5. Michael Brewster, Ohio State[/size][/font]
[/size][/font]
[/size][/font]

[b] Defensive End[/b]
1. Quinton Coples, North Carolina
2. Courtney Upshaw, Alabama
3. Nick Perry, USC
4. Vinny Curry, Marshall
5. Jared Crick, Nebraska[/size][/font]

[b] Defensive Tackle[/b]
1. Dontari Poe, Memphis
2. Fletcher Cox, Mississippi State
3. Michael Brockers, LSU
4. Jerel Worthy, Michigan State
T-5. Kendall Reyes, Connecticut
T-5. Devon Still, Penn St.[/size][/font]
[i]Rise:[/i] Still[/size][/font]

[b] Outside Linebacker[/b]
1. Melvin Ingram, South Carolina
2. Whitney Mercilus, Illinois
3. Andre Branch, Clemson
4. Ronnell Lewis, Oklahoma
5. Shea McClellin, Boise State[/size][/font]

[b] Inside Linebacker[/b]
1. Luke Kuechly, Boston College
2. Dont'a Hightower, Alabama
3. Mychal Kendricks, California
4. Keenan Robinson, Texas
5. Sean Spence, Miami[/size][/font]
[/size][/font]
[/size][/font]

[b] Cornerback[/b]
1. Morris Claiborne, LSU
2. Stephon Gilmore, South Carolina
3. Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama
4. Janoris Jenkins, North Alabama
5. Josh Robinson, Central Florida[/size][/font]
[i]Rise:[/i] Gilmore, Kirkpatrick
[i]Fall:[/i] Jenkins, Robinson[/size][/font]

[b] Safety[/b]
1. Mark Barron, Alabama
2. Harrison Smith, Notre Dame
3. Brandon Taylor, LSU
4. DeQuan Menzie, Alabama
5. Phillip Thomas, Syracuse[/size][/font]

from a panthers fan at football pros.

[quote][color=#333333][font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]Travelle Wharton to the Bengals...nice move. Good, steady player, durable...still not sure why the Panthers didn't re-sign him, suppose it was a combination of his age and the amount of money they want to pay him. Panthers don't exactly have the cap space that the Bengals have.[/size][/font][/color][/quote]

[quote][url="https://twitter.com/#!/joereedy"][b]Joe Reedy[/b] [size=4]‏[/size] [s]@[/s][b]joereedy[/b][/url][color=#333333][font=HelveticaNeue,]

[url="https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23bengals"][s]#[/s][b]bengals[/b][/url][color=#333333][font=HelveticaNeue,] are definitely in play on re-signing Nelson. Things have picked up the past couple days[/font][/color][/quote][/font][/color]

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1331945537' post='1107467']
Imagine we signed one of the guys we have been visiting with. What would Hobsons headline be.

"Bengals eat Porterhouse"
"Ross is Bengals Friend"
"JaMaal of America"
[/quote]

"Bengals hope Travelle will be a Whart on the dicks of opposing defensivelineman."
"Zimmer to throw Allen Wrench into opposing pasing games"

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1332033841' post='1108064']

"Bengals hope Travelle will be a Whart on the dicks of opposing defensivelineman."
"Zimmer to throw Allen Wrench into opposing pasing games"
[/quote]
"Wharton takes the road less Travelled to Cincy"

not sure it means anything at all, but Jamaal Anderson took the time to re-tweet this yesterday.

[url="https://twitter.com/#!/muskiesfan"][b]Joe Elder[/b] [size=4]‏[/size] [s]@[/s][b]muskiesfan[/b][/url]
[color=#333333][font=HelveticaNeue,][url="https://twitter.com/#!/Jamaal_Anderson"][s]@[/s][b]Jamaal_Anderson[/b][/url] Hope you're enjoying visit with the [url="https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23Bengals"][s]#[/s][b]Bengals[/b][/url]. Hope you sign on the dotted line! [url="https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23WhoDey"][s]#[/s][b]WhoDey[/b][/url] [url="https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23freeagency"][s]#[/s][b]freeagency[/b][/url][url="https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23WhoDeyNation"][s]#[/s][b]WhoDeyNation[/b][/url][/font][/color]

1181..... this is the latest I copied from you on visits and reported interest.

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]Here's who they have reported interest in:[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]CB Aaron Ross, Giants. Visited Thursday. Stayed Overnight[/font][/color]

[s][color=#282828][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]DE Kendall Langford. VisitedThursday. [/font][/color][/s][color=#282828][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif][s]Stayed Overnight. [/s]Signed by Rams on Saturday[/font][/color]

[s][color=#282828][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]TE Kellen Davis. Visit TBA [/font][/color][/s][color=#282828][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]Re-signed by bears on 2yr deal[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]OG Jacob Bell. Visited [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]Thursday[/font][/color]

RB Ben-Jarvus Green-Ellis. Visiting Sunday-Monday

RB Michael Bush. Visiting Monday

[color=#282828][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]CB Terrance Newman TBA[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]CB Tracey Porter. Visted Thursday. [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]Stayed Overnight[/font][/color]

DT Andre Fluellen. Visited Thursday

CB Jason Allen. Visited Friday. [b]Signed by Bengals Saturday[/b]

DE Jamaal Anderson. Visited Friday

TE Joel Dreessen (possibly visiting 3/17 or 3/18, unconfirmed)

OG Travelle Wharton[b] Signed by Bengals Saturday[/b][/quote]

A good list and I wanted to bump it up..... :)

Ok as a fan on a message board trying to read the tea leaves only 5 days into FA, no reported contact with WR, Safety or LB. Any "way too soon" thoughts folks have out there?

For me surprised no WRs that we know of, but 2 TE's.

[quote name='Phatcat' timestamp='1332045978' post='1108174']
Ok as a fan on a message board trying to read the tea leaves only 5 days into FA, no reported contact with WR, Safety or LB. Any "way too soon" thoughts folks have out there?

For me surprised no WRs that we know of, but 2 TE's.
[/quote]
Yeah with the crazy deals getting tossed around to wide receivers I think the Bengals will look at that last in free agency

As for FA d-lineman, I liked Langford, but he got insane money-12 mil guaranteed!? I also like Jamaal Anderson as a big rotational guy who has found a decent place for himself as a versatile inside/outside lineman. I don't know much about Fluellen, but he tore it up at Fla St. I wonder if the Bengies have any interest in Amobi Okoye? He's out there, after playing pretty well with the Bears in 2011. Until something is resolved with Sims, they might hold off in signing another pure DT. However, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Anderson in stripes.

Archived