The Official 2012 Reds Season Discussion Thread! CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!!!!!!!!

Jason

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1349456503' post='1166452']
They already announced it will be Arroyo, with a possibility of Homer maybe getting a game.
[/quote]

Dear lord I hope they only use Arroyo for away games. I think he is a cool guy and all, but watching him give up homerun after homerun takes a day off my life each time. I'm going to be in the grave 10 years early because of his stay in Cincinnati. I'll be a lot more comfortable when Arroyo and Kyle Turley hook up for some acoustic albums and he is no longer pitching at the launching pad known as Great American Ballpark.

I sure hope the Reds find a young arm that throws a lot of ground balls to take Arroyo's place next year. Whatever happened to the days of a screw ball pitcher like Tom Browning?

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1349456867' post='1166456']
The way the rotation is set up, Bronson pitches game 2 in Frisco.
[/quote]

I'm crossing my testicles hoping that the wind is blowing in that day. Is it just a coincidence Arroyo is slotted as a #2, or does Dusty still really see Arroyo as a #2 guy?

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1349457172' post='1166459']

I'm crossing my testicles hoping that the wind is blowing in that day. Is it just a coincidence Arroyo is slotted as a #2, or does Dusty still really see Arroyo as a #2 guy?
[/quote]
Giants have the perfect ballpark for Arroyo. Not many homeruns there. Guessing that's why he's the #2.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1349457364' post='1166460']
Giants have the perfect ballpark for Arroyo. Not many homeruns there. Guessing that's why he's the #2.
[/quote]

It's still really a short porch for lefties. If I was a betting man, I would say that Jay Bruce has at least one homerun in San Fran.

I was down on Bronson last yet but the dude throws over 200 innings almost every year and has had an era in the 3s most years too. Not an ace but a great guy to have in your rotation, even if he gives up a lot of homers. Bronson on Sunday will prob go 6 innings and give up 2 runs. Hopefully the offense scores a few runs.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1349457567' post='1166464']
I was down on Bronson last yet but the dude throws over 200 innings almost every year and has had an era in the 3s most years too. Not an ace but a great guy to have in your rotation, even if he gives up a lot of homers. Bronson on Sunday will prob go 6 innings and give up 2 runs. Hopefully the offense scores a few runs.
[/quote]

See I see it differently, I think Dusty needs to make sure that Homer or Leake is ready to be a long reliever on days Arroyo pitches. Bronson one day might throw you 7 innings of one run ball, and then the next come out and give up 5 runs in 3 innings. He has become inconsistent as hell.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1349465195' post='1166503']
If it came down to a games 7, who would you rather have out there, Cueto on 2 days rest or Arroyo?
[/quote]

Opening series is 5 games. If it goes 5, Cueto pitches.

[url="http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2012/10/05/ranking-the-playoff-field/1614571/"]http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2012/10/05/ranking-the-playoff-field/1614571/[/url]

[b]3. Cincinnati Reds[/b]
[b]Why they're here: [/b]Won the NL Central with a 97-65 record.
[b]Why they'll flounder:[/b] The offense sputtered all season, finishing ninth in the league in runs. It won't help that the Reds' first two games are at the San Francisco Giants against Matt Cain and Madison Bumgarner. Bumgarner pitched a one-hit shutout in his lone start against them this season. All-Star Joey Votto, coming off knee surgery, has yet to hit a home run since his Sept. 5 return.
[b]Why they'll flourish:[/b] The Reds can match their rotation with any team's. It features four pitchers — Johnny Cueto, Bronson Arroyo, Mat Latos and Homer Bailey — who made at least 30 starts and threw more than 200 innings. Cueto (19-9, 2.78 ERA) is a true ace.
[b]Path to victory:[/b] Truth be told, the Reds feel more comfortable facing the Giants than the Atlanta Braves. They won four of seven vs. the Giants this year, with three of the games decided by one run. The only National League playoff team to beat them up was the Washington Nationals.
[b]Prognosis:[/b] The Reds might be the toughest read of any postseason team, according to scouts, who can't predict whether they'll lose in the first round or win the World Series.
[b]Follow this guy: [/b]@DatDudeBP. Always rambunctious, occasionally bawdy, energetic Brandon Phillips.
[b]#hashtag to know: [/b]#ALLREADY. That's when you know Phillips is set to do damage.
[b]Locals only: [/b]Enter the main gates at Great American Ballpark and you'll see a mosaic honoring the 1869 and 1975 teams. In case you were wondering if there was any history here.

[quote name='Go Skins' timestamp='1349466603' post='1166511']
[url="http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2012/10/05/ranking-the-playoff-field/1614571/"]http://www.usatoday....-field/1614571/[/url]

[b]3. Cincinnati Reds[/b]
[b]Why they're here: [/b]Won the NL Central with a 97-65 record.
[b]Why they'll flounder:[/b] The offense sputtered all season, finishing ninth in the league in runs. It won't help that the Reds' first two games are at the San Francisco Giants against Matt Cain and Madison Bumgarner. Bumgarner pitched a one-hit shutout in his lone start against them this season. All-Star Joey Votto, coming off knee surgery, has yet to hit a home run since his Sept. 5 return.
[b]Why they'll flourish:[/b] The Reds can match their rotation with any team's. It features four pitchers — Johnny Cueto, Bronson Arroyo, Mat Latos and Homer Bailey — who made at least 30 starts and threw more than 200 innings. Cueto (19-9, 2.78 ERA) is a true ace.
[b]Path to victory:[/b] Truth be told, [color=#ff0000]the Reds feel more comfortable facing the Giants than the Atlanta Braves. They won four of seven vs. the Giants this year,[/color] with three of the games decided by one run. The only National League playoff team to beat them up was the Washington Nationals.
[b]Prognosis:[/b] The Reds might be the toughest read of any postseason team, according to scouts, who can't predict whether they'll lose in the first round or win the World Series.
[b]Follow this guy: [/b]@DatDudeBP. Always rambunctious, occasionally bawdy, energetic Brandon Phillips.
[b]#hashtag to know: [/b]#ALLREADY. That's when you know Phillips is set to do damage.
[b]Locals only: [/b]Enter the main gates at Great American Ballpark and you'll see a mosaic honoring the 1869 and 1975 teams. In case you were wondering if there was any history here.
[/quote]

They were 5-1 against the Braves.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1349493472' post='1166529']
Well I thought for sure the Braves were going to win. Sucks the Cards are moving on but they got lucky with the horrible call by the ump. Hopefully Wash beats them.
[/quote]

Yeah, no way in hell that was an infield fly. That was worse than the replacement refs.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1349493472' post='1166529']
Well I thought for sure the Braves were going to win. Sucks the Cards are moving on but they got lucky with the horrible call by the ump. Hopefully Wash beats them.
[/quote]

For some reason the Cards don't really scare me this year.. There is a part of me that wouldn't mind seeing them take care of Washington (which I feel is the better team), and then come to our house for the NLCS, Then the other part of me that fucking hates them steps in, kicks rationality in the face and I just want to see them lose.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1349549836' post='1166591']
I just saw a picture of Dusty on FB. The guy looks very frail and like he lost a ton of weight. Hope the guy is alright..
[/quote]

He was hospitalized for an irregular heartbeat and then had a stroke.. He isn't alright... But this is baseball, so he's not required to do much except be lucid in his decision making. Baker's biggest asset is pushing buttons and reading and inspiring his players. I think it's pretty inspiring that he is with the team for this thing, and I feel confident the players are going to be motivated to bring it home for him..

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1349557389' post='1166598']
Not sure why he'd risk it, especially with such a young son, but I commend him for it. I just hope the guy doesn't get too stressed out and ends back up where he started or worse..
[/quote]

I am sure he is going to be well monitored.. It's not like there aren't emergency medical facilities nearby.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1349549836' post='1166591']
I just saw a picture of Dusty on FB. The guy looks very frail and like he lost a ton of weight. Hope the guy is alright..
[/quote]

Have you seen pictures of Dusty from his playing days? I doubt Dusty did roids but he looks like a before and after picture of Barry Bonds. Hell, for that matter, have you ever seen before and after pictures of Dave Winfield? Talk about a stud, Winfield I believe was drafted by 3 professional teams, NFL, MLB, and NBA.

Archived