Apple rumors leading up to WWDC 2012

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1339457703' post='1134923']
Not getting a warm fuzzy feeling about the future of the Mac Pro. The upgrade today is to CPUs that came out two years ago, the GFX card is more than two years old, there's no USB 3, and with no Thunderbolt, Mac's workhorse still can't use Apple's premiere displays... My guess is when Socket B is obsolete, the Mac Pros will go the way of the Xserve.
[/quote]

Desktops in general are an endangered species, a fact about which I'm not necessarily pleased. There's something comforting about being able to upgrade your own components, or easily upgrade your storage, or most importantly, put a RAID 1 in place so you don't have to obsess so much about backups.

Or maybe I'm just getting old...

{shakes fist}

looking like a january/feb purchase date for me for one of the new macbook pros. i would go balls out and get the 16gb and 768 drive, which is around $3200, after friends discount im looking at $2720+tax. I can sell mine for around $700-800, so i need around 2 grand...

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1339460508' post='1134928']
looking like a january/feb purchase date for me for one of the new macbook pros. i would go balls out and get the 16gb and 768 drive, which is around $3200, after friends discount im looking at $2720+tax. I can sell mine for around $700-800, so i need around 2 grand...
[/quote]

Since you seem to be a Macbook Pro advocate, and since I do like the newest Apple iteration (gasp!) from a Hardware point of view, gotta ask: Do you dual boot Windows and Mac OSx, or only work with it in Mac OSx. I am wondering about performance hit when running in Windows mode, and for me, Windows is important since I have most of my life organized in Windows based applications and content.

[quote name='ValleyBengal' timestamp='1339703207' post='1135381']
Since you seem to be a Macbook Pro advocate, and since I do like the newest Apple iteration (gasp!) from a Hardware point of view, gotta ask: Do you dual boot Windows and Mac OSx, or only work with it in Mac OSx. I am wondering about performance hit when running in Windows mode, and for me, Windows is important since I have most of my life organized in Windows based applications and content.
[/quote]

Why dual boot when you can virtualize?

Free: Virtualbox: https://www.virtualbox.org

Commercial: VMWare Fusion: http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/overview.html

Parallels: http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop

Run Windows at the same time as OS X at native speeds.

I used to keep a Windows partition for gaming. Most stuff runs fine virtualized, but the graphics heavy stuff is still best done in a native boot. Last I checked, Parallels and the others ran Windows game in DX9, not DX11, and only ran those so-so... Unless there have been further advances since I last checked?

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1339711358' post='1135403']
I used to keep a Windows partition for gaming. Most stuff runs fine virtualized, but the graphics heavy stuff is still best done in a native boot. Last I checked, Parallels and the others ran Windows game in DX9, not DX11, and only ran those so-so... Unless there have been further advances since I last checked?
[/quote]

Parallels supports DX11 and W7 comes with DX11 by default.

But then I'm not a gamer so I wouldn't be the best judge of quality. His request didn't sound like he gamed, more like running Office applications or specialty software...

[quote name='ValleyBengal' timestamp='1340120078' post='1135888']
Thanks all.[b] I also game[/b], that's why I asked about performance hit. I am still iffy, but if I can partition directly and dual boot, I will go that route.
[/quote]

Ah, fair enough then.

I have an iMac with a 1TB HD. I paritioned 400GB of that and installed Windows 7. I needed Windows because of my video editing. I can do pretty much what I need to do with iMovie or Final Cut Pro X, but I still want to use my Cyberlink Power Director from time to time. I haven't noticed any lag of any kind running in Windows mode. And you have to remember that I'm rendering 1080HD video. I couldn't tell you anything about games though as I don't play games on the computer.
MULLY

[quote name='Fulcher_33' timestamp='1340331600' post='1136224']
I'm considering jumping into the new Macbook pro. My laptop here at work is seeing it's final days. If it gets any buggier I'll be taking the leap.
MULLY
[/quote]

do it!

make sure you use your education discount, save a few hundred bucks at least..

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1340332093' post='1136225']
do it!

make sure you use your education discount, save a few hundred bucks at least..
[/quote]

Oh yeah, the education discount is a must. With today's exchange rate I'd be looking at, for the 2.6ghz model,

Straight price: 238,800 yen ($2969.00 USD)
Education Discount: 221,800 Yen ($2758.00 USD)

I wouldn't even consider an Apple product without my discount.
MULLY

I was out in San Francisco last week and on vacation. We were out dicking around one say and I saw a Best Buy that had the new Macbook Pro's..

Holy shit is about all I can say.They are so thin and the screen is freaking amazing.
I have a 15" MBP that is only like 6 months old so I will most likely be waiting, but man they are sweet...

Archived