NYC mayor wants hospitals to lock up baby formula to encourage breast-feeding

Go Skins

[url="http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/07/29/nyc-mayor-wants-hospitals-to-lock-up-baby-formula-to-encourage-breast-feeding/?test=latestnews"]http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/07/29/nyc-mayor-wants-hospitals-to-lock-up-baby-formula-to-encourage-breast-feeding/?test=latestnews[/url]

The nanny state is going after moms.

Mayor Bloomberg is pushing hospitals to hide their baby formula behind locked doors so more new mothers will breast-feed.
Starting Sept. 3, the city will keep tabs on the number of bottles that participating hospitals stock and use — the most restrictive pro-breast-milk program in the nation.

Under the city Health Department’s voluntary Latch On NYC initiative, 27 of the city’s 40 hospitals have also agreed to give up swag bags sporting formula-company logos, toss out formula-branded tchotchkes like lanyards and mugs, and document a medical reason for every bottle that a newborn receives.
While breast-feeding activists applaud the move, bottle-feeding moms are bristling at the latest lactation lecture.
“If they put pressure on me, I would get annoyed,” said Lynn Sidnam, a Staten Island mother of two formula-fed girls, ages 4 months and 9 years. “It’s for me to choose.”

To be honest, they give that shit away at some hospitals like it's candy on Halloween. In times like this, when hospitals are shutting down and cutting costs, it might make sense to keep a closer eye on the formula for those reasons. We've left hospitals with enough formula to feed a baby for a month, and we didn't ask for it, they just kept giving it to us.

And my last son was born with a cleft lip and palette. How you going to tell us he has to be breastfed or die?

I'm going to march up to Bloomberg during his next public appearance while smoking a cigarette, swilling tequila from the bottle and chasing it with an extra large Big Gulp, and throw a balloon filled with baby formula in his face.

[quote name='Bartledoo' timestamp='1343833564' post='1142197']
What happened to a woman's right to choose? Abortion is ok, but for the love of God don't give your baby formula!
[/quote]

Why would an otherwise healthy mother and son/daughter not chose to breastfeed? Would you not do everything in your power to give your son or daughter the best possible start to there lives.. To me it is the ultimate in selfishness if a mother has the ability to breastfeed and chooses not to. Breastmilk is superior and it's not even close. The real problem is education or lack thereof. Truth be told I'm offended moreso when I see a perfectly healthy mother "choosing" not to breastfeed her child for a multitude of stupid selfish reasons.

[quote name='CincyInDC' timestamp='1344457811' post='1144113']
My sister tried to breastfeed my niece but she said it tickled too much. But I think that was an excuse -- she's just very prudish and was VERY embarrassed about the whole thing.
[/quote]

I can't think of much more perverse a thing than a mother being embarrassed to feed her child.. No offense to your sister, it's not an idictment on her at all, more a reflection on our society.

Archived