Thomas Howard to IR; Muckelroy Re-Signed. Burfict to Start

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1347729283' post='1158389']
What's crazy is if Pollack hadn't gotten hurt and Odell didn't wash out of the league, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now. Those two guys would be the anchors of our defense and in their prime right now. We haven't got a ton of production out of our highly drafted LB's...Pollack, Odell, Rivers, Miller, Johnson, Maualuga, Moch...jeez.
[/quote]
Could be the reason we've been cycling through linebacker coaches. In our system, they are the most responsible for scouting...

[quote name='Legoland' timestamp='1347683480' post='1158352']
Look I wanted Malaluga to work out for us. I really did. Fact is he isn't very good unless the D-line is cleaning house for him. I don't care if it's Muck Vontaze, or Skuta but the Rey Malaluga experiment needs to end.
[/quote]

How many guys did we do this with this year despite evidence showing us that they weren't going to be that great. Mays. Mualaga. All the first round picks that were dropped by other teams and put into our defensive backfield. I love getting deals and finding diamonds in the rough, but when you are sitting on cash use it. Then you aren't starting Burfict week 2, And I like Burfict.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1347743696' post='1158424']
I think its reasonable to point out that until Burfict sees some real game time against non-scrub players, we really don't know what we have in him. I am hoping for the best.
[/quote]

I agree. I have been optimistic about him considering he dug from the bottom of the depth chart to possibly the top tomorrow. That says something about a player. We need someone in there that's hungry and ready to prove something. The LB's just seem complacent.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1347743696' post='1158424']
I think its reasonable to point out that until Burfict sees some real game time against non-scrub players, we really don't know what we have in him. I am hoping for the best.
[/quote]

So, you are saying even if he plays well tomorrow we won't know if he's any good?

:D

[quote name='unleashed' timestamp='1347747111' post='1158429']
I agree. I have been optimistic about him considering he dug from the bottom of the depth chart to possibly the top tomorrow. That says something about a player. We need someone in there that's hungry and ready to prove something. The LB's just seem complacent.
[/quote]

I don't know if its complacency so much as it is a lack of talent coupled with sub-par instincts and football IQ (Rey). I think we are still feeling the aftereffects of losing Pollack and Odell and striking out on Rivers. You only get so many top-shelf picks and you can't use them all on linebackers. That said I think the Bengals have done pretty well with middle-round talent and guys from other teams like Lawson and Howard. But now even Howard, arguably our best LB, is hurt and we will have an unknown quantity in Burfict getting significant snaps.

My biggest hope for Vontaze is that he doesn't commit any stupid penalties. If he's a little lost out there sometimes in his first game that's okay, provided he doesn't make any huge mental mistakes. Dude's got the physical ability.

Archived