!!!THE BENGALS @ TEXANS WILDCARD PLAYOFF GAME THREAD!!!

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1357440027' post='1205071']
can't make an arguement against that, other than it was a day of bend but don't break. they spent a helluva lot of time on the field today. the offense sure didn't provide them much help.
[/quote]
I agree

• 6 months later...

not to drudge up the past, but re-watched this for the first time today.  A couple thoughts:

1) the Bengals coordinators failed in their gameplans.  Everyone knows both issues already.  Gruden not using Green in the first half (the offense was noticeably better once he got involved - obviously).  Zimmer, having Maualuga consistently line up with TE Owen Daniels.  Maualuga has his own issues, but pretty much every MLB in the league is going to fail at covering an athletic TE.  Daniels abused Maualuga, but also Burfict, Skuta, Lawson and Nelson. The lack of coverage OLB's and SS's killed this team in that game, and continues to be the main question on defense in 2013.

2) 3 drops by Gresham, again, something we all know at this point.  The two early hurt, especially since they were going away from Green.

4) pass protection was horrible for nearly the entire game.  Every single lineman took turns getting beat by JJ Watt. I wanted to play New England just because of Watt and the dome noise.  The noise wasn't so bad it seems, but Watt remains the best defensive player in the league IMO.

5) The running game was working, they could have used more of it to take the pressure off the passing game.

6) Dalton needs to continue to up his game, but he shouldn't be remembered in this game for just the late overthrow to Green.  Between running for his life, coaching gameplans and the drops, he wasn't dealt a great hand in support.  He had his miscues, no one's denying that, but IMO he didn't "shit the bed in a playoff game" as much as the media has made it out to be.  There were some great throws in that game.  It's the second to last one, that was overthrown by MAYBE a foot, that will be remembered though. 

not to drudge up the past, but re-watched this for the first time today.  A couple thoughts:

1) the Bengals coordinators failed in their gameplans.  Everyone knows both issues already.  Gruden not using Green in the first half (the offense was noticeably better once he got involved - obviously).  Zimmer, having Maualuga consistently line up with TE Owen Daniels.  Maualuga has his own issues, but pretty much every MLB in the league is going to fail at covering an athletic TE.  Daniels abused Maualuga, but also Burfict, Skuta, Lawson and Nelson. The lack of coverage OLB's and SS's killed this team in that game, and continues to be the main question on defense in 2013.

2) 3 drops by Gresham, again, something we all know at this point.  The two early hurt, especially since they were going away from Green.

4) pass protection was horrible for nearly the entire game.  Every single lineman took turns getting beat by JJ Watt. I wanted to play New England just because of Watt and the dome noise.  The noise wasn't so bad it seems, but Watt remains the best defensive player in the league IMO.

5) The running game was working, they could have used more of it to take the pressure off the passing game.

6) Dalton needs to continue to up his game, but he shouldn't be remembered in this game for just the late overthrow to Green.  Between running for his life, coaching gameplans and the drops, he wasn't dealt a great hand in support.  He had his miscues, no one's denying that, but IMO he didn't "shit the bed in a playoff game" as much as the media has made it out to be.  There were some great throws in that game.  It's the second to last one, that was overthrown by MAYBE a foot, that will be remembered though. 

Good analysis and you are absolutely right on a lot of things.  However,  after reading thru it a few times I don't see Marvin Lewis mentioned anywhere.  It is his team isn't it?  And the buck stops there doesn't it.

I would think the head coach would look over the game plans and say "It's a good thing".

Don't forget the crossing route in the 2nd half that could have been a big play had Gresham not stopped running, a play you yourself pointed out somewhere around page 35 or 36 in this very thread.

:41:

Good analysis and you are absolutely right on a lot of things.  However,  after reading thru it a few times I don't see Marvin Lewis mentioned anywhere.  It is his team isn't it?  And the buck stops there doesn't it.

I would think the head coach would look over the game plans and say "It's a good thing".

very true, and no doubt he played a part in #1 the game plan by the coordinators.

Archived