!!!THE BENGALS @ TEXANS WILDCARD PLAYOFF GAME THREAD!!!

The D played well enough to win, but should of done better. We're a defensive team and were relying on the D to win it for us. They allowed too many long drives that only resulted in FGs. Bend but dont break is ok but it wont win you a game when youre a defensive team. Average PPG for an NFL team in a game was 23 this past year, so our defense in allowing 19 played slightly above average. We needed more from them

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1357434785' post='1204848']
there you go. fire every motherfucker in the organization, because you saw a shot in the 4th qtr. ofandy dalton smiling on your TV, after spending a day in the face of total adversity.

so with that said, what organizational changes would you propose making? please share with us, since you have your finger on the pulse of so much of what's wrong !
[/quote]

You're right, I guess seeing some intensity and leadership from your qb is too much to ask for. You said your NBC feed didn't show you the sideline, I just pointed out one time mine did.

[quote name='Harley' timestamp='1357435107' post='1204872']
For the record, the D played great considering they got no help from the O. You can only pin 16 points on the D which most times should be a win.
[/quote]
No they didn't . Zero sacks and couldn't get off the field.

[quote name='Andy Dalton' timestamp='1357435934' post='1204931']
"I threw it a little too far"

[/quote]

Yeah, I noticed that too, Andy.

[quote name='Andy Dalton' timestamp='1357435934' post='1204931']

"Its a different game if you make that play"

[/quote]

I'm inclined to agree with you, Andy. Let's see, 13+7=20, and 20 > 19, so yes, it is a different game.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1357435328' post='1204891']
They din't have a good game because our d didn't allow them to. Our big problem D wise, seems to be covering the TE. I'll also admit, looking back at it, I think losing Crocker hurt.
[/quote]

DING DING DING.....BUT DONT TELL THE SQUAWKING HEAD "EXPERTS" THAT ON HERE.

[quote name='phillybengal' timestamp='1357435934' post='1204931']
Hobson tweeting quotes:

Dalton on the last bomb:

"I threw it a little too far"

And

"Its a different game if you make that play"

No shit x 2
[/quote]
I was upset too. But the way our D was playing Houston would have drove right down and took the lead back. Total team loss

[quote name='bubba' timestamp='1357435705' post='1204919']

No they didn't . Zero sacks and couldn't get off the field.
[/quote]

Regardless of how you stop TDs, the D did. Dalton's INT gave them 3 points. No way you can hang this on the D. In fact, the D scored more than the O.

What you should be mad about is the stupid decision not to get AJ involved in the first half. Clearly he made plays when given the chance.

[quote name='bubba' timestamp='1357436355' post='1204960']
I was upset too. But the way our D was playing Houston would have drove right down and took the lead back. Total team loss
[/quote]

I don't think so.... I think the D would have been lights out if we made the comeback. They would be so pumped with adrenaline.

[quote name='BronxBengal' timestamp='1357434795' post='1204850']
Whitworth is the most over rated player on the team. Hell no should he be mentioned for the Pro Bowl. He is average and that is being kind.
[/quote]

you are not an averagely informed fan of the game that is NFL football. you just haven't done enough work. your opinion is LESS than average, and i'm probably being too kind with that assessment.

no offense intended.

[u][size=6][color=#FF3300][u][b][font=Calibri]BlackJesus Postgame Report[/font][/b][/u][/color][/size][/u]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][b][color=#000000]- Started off the half about as bad as a team could. [/color][/b][color=#000000] [/color]

[b][color=#000000]- [/color][/b][b][color=#000000]Who the hell is “Lewis-Clark”?!? Get this scrub off the fucking field, we’ll call for him if we need the Western U.S. mapped (nerd joke). [/color][/b][color=#000000] [/color]

[b][color=#000000]- R[/color][/b][b][color=#000000]ey comes back in the game … this was the omen that we would lose this game. He is a LIABILITY in pass coverage and against cut back RB’s, he’s about as athletic as Dennis Roland. Fuck this turd, get him off the team so he can go have underage drunk sex and get DUI’s somewhere else. [/color][/b][color=#000000] [/color]

[b][color=#000000]-[/color][/b][b][color=#000000] I feel sorry for Leon Hall and Burfict the most of anyone … they played their hearts out.[/color][/b][color=#000000] [/color]

[b][color=#000000]- [/color][/b][b][color=#000000]The Defense played good enough to win this game … we should have been able to score 20 points. [/color][/b][color=#000000] [/color]

[b][color=#000000]- [/color][/b][b][color=#000000]Should have ran the ball with Green-Ellis more … as Cook blows in pass protection --- why is this overrated asshole on the field anyway? Robinson was better and that was when we ran the ball the best. [/color][/b][color=#000000] [/color]

[b][color=#000000]- It hurt the Bengals badly not having Crocker back there … I still don’t understand why Mays wasn’t played in the slot on the TE either. If Mays or Iloka are not the long term option, then the Bengals might want to use Oaklands 2[sup]nd[/sup] rd pick on the best Saftey on the board. I like UF’s SS Matt Elam, although I’m not sure he’ll be available at that point … may have to use our first round pick on him. [/color][/b][color=#000000] [/color]

[b][color=#000000]- I wonder how things would have been if we had Thomas Howard out there healthy? He could have probably covered Owen Daniels who killed us.[/color][/b][color=#000000] [/color]

[b][color=#000000]- Josh Brown is money and should re-signed tomorrow. Fuck Nugent. [/color][/b][color=#000000] [/color]

[b][color=#000000]- I think it may hurt Dalton to play in Houston in his hometown, in a place where he secures 65 tickets for friends and family. He just seems to play much tighter in front of his hometown friends. Maybe this was the worst possible team for us to play all things considered for that reason. Does Dalton beat Baltimore today if we played them instead? I can’t help but think he probably would have. [/color][/b][color=#000000] [/color]

[b][color=#000000]- Gresham should be embarrassed to show his face in the locker room … he dropped about 5-6 balls out there. I thought he was a top 10 TE … but after this game, maybe he’s just an avg one in the # 15-20 range. Dalton probably shouldn’t hold his head much higher, although his OL didn’t exactly make life easy for him. [/color][/b][color=#000000] [/color]

[b][color=#000000]- [/color][/b][b][color=#000000]Where the hell was Atkins? Dunlap? M Johnson? Where the fuck did our best DL in the league go. Oh that’s right, they got no pressure, and were up field as Foster ran past them and then out-juked Maualuga’s slow ass all day. Some of this blame has to go to Zimmer I guess too … he didn’t seem ready to stop the run. [/color][/b][color=#000000] [/color]

[b][color=#000000]- [/color][/b][b][color=#000000]Gruden’s offense is stale and predictable. I’m not sure if it’s personnel and the lack of a true #2 WR … but this little run 3 yards, throw incomplete to Gresham, and then throw to a double covered AJ Green every possession is not working. Is this guy riding his brother’s coat tails or is he head coach material? Who knows at this point? The only positive out of this is that maybe no team will want to hire Zimmer or Gruden now. That’s true glass half full if I ever saw it. [/color][/b][color=#000000] [/color]

[b][color=#000000]- Marvin has the second most wins of all coaches EVER without a playoff win. He did enough to still have a job next year by back to back playoffs, but perhaps he would be better suited moved up in the front office in a GM role. Then promote Zimmer to HC, and overpay to hire Charlie Strong (Louisville’s head coach) as Def coordinator (always liked him). [/color][/b][color=#000000] [/color]

[b][color=#000000]- Houston is probably the second loudest venue in the league … so some of our play may be do to the difficult environment. Is the outcome the same if the game is at PBS, probably not, but we shouldn’t have lost to Cleveland or Miami earlier in the year either and could have been at home against Indy/Baltimore. [/color][/b][color=#000000] [/color]

[b][color=#000000]- In some ways we played the #1 seed in the entire NFL … Houston had the best record in the league from weeks 1-16 … it was only in week 17 when they didn’t and the bad month at the end that gave us them as our opponent. However, maybe this was the 11-1 team from earlier in the year, and if so, then the Bengals are only one long pass (if it was 4 yards shorter to AJ Green in the end zone ---- or a hit to the head call on the same play) from possibly beating them and heading to Denver next week. Which Houston that was would tell us a lot about how well we played. [/color][/b][color=#000000] [/color]

[b][color=#000000]- It’s probably best to take a week off from Bengals for most fans to clear your head … most people will want everyone fired and cut right now, but time will help clarify what happened I think. Next year I would say is an AFC championship or bust sort of season and anything short of that will be considered a failure. Is this year considered a failure? Yes and no in my opinion. We did better than the 20 other teams who didn’t make the playoffs, but in the end we were only the 9[sup]th[/sup]-12[sup]th[/sup] best team in the league. 10 years ago that would have been awesome, but not anymore. Marvin is a victim of the teams own raised expectations. Most fans will view this season as a bust, I do as well mostly (despite the positives) and the fact that I think this team CAN STILL win a Superbowl in the next 3 years. For perspective, every year has 31 losers eventually. [/color][/b][/size][/font]

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1357436457' post='1204965']
I don't think so.... I think the D would have been lights out if we made the comeback. They would be so pumped with adrenaline.
[/quote]
Like the adrenaline with 2 minutes left a chance to get the ball back and Houston gets 4 yards rushing, 4 yards rushing, then a what 5 yard pass for 1st down. Face it, we were soft on offense and defense and got dominated. Should have been a huge blowout

[quote name='Harley' timestamp='1357435107' post='1204872']
For the record, the D played great considering they got no help from the O. You can only pin 16 points on the D which most times should be a win.
[/quote]

in all honesty, since the defense got us 7 points with leon's INT, you can make a case that the defense's net allowance was single digits.

[quote name='Harley' timestamp='1357436406' post='1204964']
Regardless of how you stop TDs, the D did. Dalton's INT gave them 3 points. No way you can hang this on the D. In fact, the D scored more than the O.

What you should be mad about is the stupid decision not to get AJ involved in the first half. Clearly he made plays when given the chance.
[/quote]
I blame it on the entire team from coaching to players. The offense was horrid but the D was not good or up to par either. And coaching was lousy even Zimmer

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1357438017' post='1205001']
in all honesty, since the defense got us 7 points with leon's INT, you can make a case that the defense's net allowance was single digits.
[/quote]
Yet they couldn't get off the field. Got zero sacks. And didn't stop the run. Yeah they played great

[quote name='Jim Finklestein' timestamp='1357435573' post='1204905']
You're right, I guess seeing some intensity and leadership from your qb is too much to ask for. You said your NBC feed didn't show you the sideline, I just pointed out one time mine did.
[/quote]

i surely wanted to see a better game from andy, as well. but i don't think his intensity was a concern, or in question. the leadership issue would likely always be subjective when your team loses, but i DO think this team believes in him, for what that's worth.

we watched the same feed. you denoted something i didn't.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1357438017' post='1205001']
[/quote]
MS completed 29/38 passes, Arian Foster ran for 140 yards

This game sucked. Was there for the taking. Oh well, somewhat sad but I will get over it.

I remember Shayne got ripped for smiling after a big miss in the playoffs too. I think they were both more rueful than lackadaisical. This was a very disappointing outing. I really thought we would get a td on that last drive to steal the w

[quote name='bubba' timestamp='1357438134' post='1205004']
Yet they couldn't get off the field. Got zero sacks. And didn't stop the run. Yeah they played great
[/quote]

can't make an arguement against that, other than it was a day of bend but don't break. they spent a helluva lot of time on the field today. the offense sure didn't provide them much help.

[quote name='AmishBengalFan' timestamp='1357439337' post='1205045']
Here's the best thing the Bengals offense did all day:
[img]http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/672/723/picksix_original_original.gif[/img]

They stayed on the sideline while the D scored.
[/quote]

Awesome!

[quote name='The PatternMaster' timestamp='1357434637' post='1204841']

I disagree, I think the defense played their hearts out and put the team in position to win the game. Same for the special teams, the offense didn't show up. From the top down, they all sucked today. Gruden, Dalton, Green, Gresham, and the oline were all inconsistent at best and horrible way to often to win. And they have been for the past month.

Ever since that first half of the Dallas game they haven't played well and finally the defense couldn't save the day. The offense got exposed for the weak link it has been during the last month of season, despite the winning streak.
[/quote]

IMO the defense was bad outside of the redzone.

Archived